E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335 went nuts

11-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
335xi Stunt'
E92 xi AW/Coral Red
United_States
Rep
Drives: your girl crazy

335 went nuts

So I was about to rip it off of a red light as it turned green, but my car decided to lose power. No cel but car isn't what it is. I'm getting the fan to turn on by itself and the temp shows red. WTF is this?! Temp was 220 until I turned off for 10 min then back on but still no power
      11-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

How many miles? check codes, sounds like waterpump.
      11-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
335xi Stunt'
E92 xi AW/Coral Red
United_States
Rep

I'm thinking waterpump also. 55k miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko View Post
How many miles? check codes, sounds like waterpump.
      11-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Damn, sorry to hear OP. Let us know how it goes. Do you have warranty still? CPO?
      11-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Yea, probably water pump based on milage. Scan codes to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
scflaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: M135I, Macan S, G26 i4M50

Waterpump failed
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
335xi Stunt'
E92 xi AW/Coral Red
United_States
Rep

Scanned. No codes!? Wtff

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
Yea, probably water pump based on milage. Scan codes to be sure.
      11-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #8
335xi Stunt'
E92 xi AW/Coral Red
United_States
Rep

No cpo. But I scanned the car and got no codes.. I'm pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric335 View Post
Damn, sorry to hear OP. Let us know how it goes. Do you have warranty still? CPO?
      11-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #9
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xi Stunt' View Post
Scanned. No codes!? Wtff
You have a JB4 based on your sig I'm assuming. Did you have auto-clear on?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Quote:
      11-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
335xi Stunt'
E92 xi AW/Coral Red
United_States
Rep

Nope, I never clear codes with jb4. I use a macttools scanner

Quote:
      11-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #12
KyLu II
FREE DREAMK
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: the shiiit!

Garage List
2011 Lexus LFA  [3.76]
Quote:
Nope, I never clear codes with jb4. I use a macttools scanner
there's a feature on the jb4 that will automatically clear codes like the ones u get with catless downpipes.
      11-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #13
335xi Stunt'
E92 xi AW/Coral Red
United_States
Rep

Yes I know. I'm just saying I never used it. I always used and cleared codes thru my scanner but I tried reading codes with the jb4, nothing came up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyLu II View Post
there's a feature on the jb4 that will automatically clear codes like the ones u get with catless downpipes.
      11-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #14
slostjoe
NEWBICON
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is

As stated I would bet money on the water pump.
      11-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #15
ajm8127
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

Open the cap to the coolant reservoir and run the water pump bleed procedure by turning your ignition on, but not starting the car, turning the heat to 84, and holding the gas pedal for like ten seconds. You should see water squirting through a small hole in the neck of the reservoir where the small tube comes in. You should also here your water pump cycling.

If you don't see the water moving, and hear the pump, then I would replace the pump.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #16
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

dude its your waterpump...do not drive the car or you will blow something in the engine. happened to me and i turned it off immediately.

you could actually check your waterpump by turning it on for the bleeding process. you have to turn the car to the on position without starting your car and put your heater on the highest temperature set at low speed fan and hold the accelerator down for 10 seconds and it should turn on.

if you pop your hood you should be able to hear intermittent sounds of the waterpump turning on and off. if you cant the obviously your waterpump has failed.

what you could do though is stop your car and let it sit for a while so the temp goes all the way down and if you are like less than a few minutes away from the dealership just drive it there but only if its a few minutes away.
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #17
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleex024 View Post
dude its your waterpump...do not drive the car or you will blow something in the engine. happened to me and i turned it off immediately.

you could actually check your waterpump by turning it on for the bleeding process. you have to turn the car to the on position without starting your car and put your heater on the highest temperature set at low speed fan and hold the accelerator down for 10 seconds and it should turn on.

if you pop your hood you should be able to hear intermittent sounds of the waterpump turning on and off. if you cant the obviously your waterpump has failed.

what you could do though is stop your car and let it sit for a while so the temp goes all the way down and if you are like less than a few minutes away from the dealership just drive it there but only if its a few minutes away.
Whoa buddy, he is not going to blow up anything. The car is smart enough to throw CEL and reduce power to prevent anything going wrong. Though dangerous, nothing to crazy to worry about.

OP it is the water pump. Super Loud fans, No power (car can bearly rev when hot) Yellow coolant and red coolant lights pop up.

it could be bad or connection to water pump is bad. Id drive home and then get BMW to tow it unless the dealership is close.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #18
335xi Stunt'
E92 xi AW/Coral Red
United_States
Rep

im out of warranty and i put ~4 miles since the issue and is sitting it at my work parking lot. i will try the bleeding process and keep you guys updated. i actually found a good deal on ecs tuning actually but do not want to wait until december for the pump.

i had a buddy from bmw quote me 420$ for pump $20 coolant $7 aluminum screws but about $150 for thermostat when i can buy the t-stat from ecs for about $85.

i actually prayed that people would have answers before i buy/fix anything just in case. i will do the bleeding process first.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
Whoa buddy, he is not going to blow up anything. The car is smart enough to throw CEL and reduce power to prevent anything going wrong. Though dangerous, nothing to crazy to worry about.

OP it is the water pump. Super Loud fans, No power (car can bearly rev when hot) Yellow coolant and red coolant lights pop up.

it could be bad or connection to water pump is bad. Id drive home and then get BMW to tow it unless the dealership is close.
      11-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #19
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post

its smart enough to reduce power but if your engine still gets too hot which it will even with reduced power then your engine is too hot. when you get a red engine light it means stop and do not drive any further or you could possibly harm your car.

even at idle with outside temps at 60 degrees my car water temps get up to 204-209 degrees Celsius so can you imagine when your car isnt running a water pump how hot it would get just sitting there?

trust me there is a reason why bmw doesnt want you to drive when you get a red warning light...means something critical is wrong. something might not go wrong but i wouldnt take my chances as getting an engine part fixed is probably minimum $3000 with labor compared the towing savings of $150.

either way good luck OP and i can guarantee its your water pump with the things you described as thats what happened to me at 60k miles...exact same symptoms and to help you out i got it fixed at the dealership as i needed done asap and they charged me $1100 for everything which is a fair price at a dealership.

if you find the parts new online somewhere you could probably get them for $600 and either do it yourself or get an indy shop to install which might save you a couple hundred but to me its just piece of mind that i dont mind paying for to get it done at the dealership. saving $100-$200 for a job over $1000 really isnt enough for me to go elsewhere.
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #20
335xi Stunt'
E92 xi AW/Coral Red
United_States
Rep

thanks for the info. yea like you said, i am getting OEM pump from the dealer and OEM thermostat from them as well. but i will have an indy shop do the work saving me around 460$ :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleex024 View Post
its smart enough to reduce power but if your engine still gets too hot which it will even with reduced power then your engine is too hot. when you get a red engine light it means stop and do not drive any further or you could possibly harm your car.

even at idle with outside temps at 60 degrees my car water temps get up to 204-209 degrees Celsius so can you imagine when your car isnt running a water pump how hot it would get just sitting there?

trust me there is a reason why bmw doesnt want you to drive when you get a red warning light...means something critical is wrong. something might not go wrong but i wouldnt take my chances as getting an engine part fixed is probably minimum $3000 with labor compared the towing savings of $150.

either way good luck OP and i can guarantee its your water pump with the things you described as thats what happened to me at 60k miles...exact same symptoms and to help you out i got it fixed at the dealership as i needed done asap and they charged me $1100 for everything which is a fair price at a dealership.

if you find the parts new online somewhere you could probably get them for $600 and either do it yourself or get an indy shop to install which might save you a couple hundred but to me its just piece of mind that i dont mind paying for to get it done at the dealership. saving $100-$200 for a job over $1000 really isnt enough for me to go elsewhere.
      11-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #21
GreekMaverick
El Greco Capitan
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///N54

Quote:
thanks for the info. yea like you said, i am getting OEM pump from the dealer and OEM thermostat from them as well. but i will have an indy shop do the work saving me around 460$ :P

Sounds exactly like what happened to mine @ 113K.
Most likely your water pump has failed.

I got the code "2E81" with my Bav tool

Tischer has it for 420.00
ECS for 440.00 (****When mines went out, not sure if it was a special or what not, it was $375 on ECS )

Good luck
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #22
335xi Stunt'
E92 xi AW/Coral Red
United_States
Rep

thanks buddy. i actually got a discount at BMW dealership and buying pump for $420. coolant for $20 and the alum bolts for $7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekMaverick View Post
Sounds exactly like what happened to mine @ 113K.
Most likely your water pump has failed.

I got the code "2E81" with my Bav tool

Tischer has it for 420.00
ECS for 440.00 (****When mines went out, not sure if it was a special or what not, it was $375 on ECS )

Good luck