Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > New rims(video) finally went to 19s. But tire place would adjust me camber?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-09-2017, 06:12 PM   #1
Black_e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 328i Sport

New rims(video) finally went to 19s. But tire place would adjust me camber?

Wouldn't adjust my camber******

Here's a video of my new rims and my buddies Supra

First off I have a LCI with sport suspension.
Rims and tire specs are;
19x8.5 et35 235/35/19
19x9.5 et40 275/30/19

It looks good and fits pretty well but my stock tires were shredded on the inner side so my camber was off. Went to a tire choice to get an alignment and my camber was -2.9 deg. They told me they couldn't adjust the camber bc if the tire sat up any more that it'll rub and shred the outer part of my tire. Are they just being safe or should I take it somewhere else? What kind of rear camber are other e90 owners running?

Any feedback will be APPRECIATED!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 08:05 PM   #2
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

You can take some camber off, you won't get much out to be honest, maybe get it down to -2deg.

Camber doesn't kill tyres it's toe. Your toe will be out and it tears the edge of the tyre.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 09:11 PM   #3
JoeyH335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

One thing I have learned from getting my e92 aligned with larger tires. Don't listen to the regular alignment tech! Some of these fools only know OEM specs.

I have the 230 style oem rims which are 19x9 with and 39 mm offset. My tires are 275/30/19 Firestone Indy 500. I had to wait to get the right alignment tech who knew his shit. I was out there the whole time and made sure he did what I needed the car to do. I told him that I didn't need so much camber and I was more interested in saving my tire life. When they looked at my specs before, they saw that I ran with my last alignment before for 3 years and my tire wear was flat and even.

So then I went back for just a routine alignment after I hit a pothole. 3 months later I came back because the tires went bald on the inside. Soooo the new tech put the alignment to factory spec after I told him what I wanted. He didn't listen and I didn't watch him either. So I really can't blame the guy for doing just his job and I didn't do mine by watching him.

After that long ass story... You can get the camber that you want! If the place does not want to then just say you will go somewhere else that will do it the way you want. If a business wants your money and for you to come back to spend more money, they will do so "To Please The Customer".

I had my rear camber set to about 1.8 negative. This is as much as my stock suspension can do in the rear.

Your wheel package is not that far off from a stock setup, but it may be enough to have some clearance issues. You have about 5.4 mm more rim pole than me. So that just might be enough to cause some rubbing. The only real way to tell is to go as little negative camber in the rear and see what will happen.

With the rear suspension in the e9x, the travel should be ok. As the rear suspension compresses the arc of the wheel should add more camber and avoid hitting the inner fender. Remember that the camber setting is only at a static position. The suspension is dynamic and constantly changing as the car is moving.

Here are some pics just to give you some idea of what you run as opposed to what I do.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images

I am just here to help!
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2017, 09:38 PM   #4
Black_e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalize View Post
You can take some camber off, you won't get much out to be honest, maybe get it down to -2deg.

Camber doesn't kill tyres it's toe. Your toe will be out and it tears the edge of the tyre.
Here's a picture of my before and after alignment

The guy at the shop adjusted everything but my camber. Said it's going to eat at my fender if he adjusted it to spec but also said the neg camber I'm running will ruin the inner tire
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 09:41 PM   #5
Black_e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Here's a picture of the rims

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 05:39 AM   #6
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep

I'd try and take a bit more rear toe out, get those rear arrows in the centre. Along with taking rear camber out.

Find somewhere that will re-adjust your rear, you'll need toe done after adjusting camber anyway.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2017, 10:08 AM   #7
JoeyH335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalize
I'd try and take a bit more rear toe out, get those rear arrows in the centre. Along with taking rear camber out.

Find somewhere that will re-adjust your rear, you'll need toe done after adjusting camber anyway.
Doesn't the e9x platform have the rear suspension deflect to induce more toe-in during hard acceleration? I read it or saw it somewhere. It's to help with rear tracking during hard acceleration? So I would side on having less toe-in due to this situation. If that is the case of course.

I am just here to help!
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2017, 10:46 AM   #8
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyH335i View Post
Doesn't the e9x platform have the rear suspension deflect to induce more toe-in during hard acceleration? I read it or saw it somewhere. It's to help with rear tracking during hard acceleration? So I would side on having less toe-in due to this situation. If that is the case of course.
'take more rear toe out' so I was saying reduce toe, as he's already had some taken out.

As the rear end squats under acceleration the toe will increase, as the toe increases as the suspension compresses/is lowered.

You always want some slight toe in to improve the feeling of stability. I set mine to 0 on the front when having it aligned as I knew I was going to be winding it down a little more, the car felt really agile but at the same time unstable.
Appreciate 1