E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Tech question about upgraded turbo's

11-26-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
Funkmob
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 space grey

Tech question about upgraded turbo's

Hi guys,

Since i'm having wastegate problems lately , i contacted the dealer that sold me the car. He is a multi brand second hand dealer with no workshop. Since i still got a waranty on the vehicle he suggested to bring the car to a official BMW dealer and let them do a diagnose. He then will fund the costs for repair if they are reasonable.

So next wednesday i will bring the car to a official dealer. I spoke to the tech guy on the phone and asked him what the normal procedure would be if there is something wrong with the turbo's. If they will have to replace them with new ones the cost will be very big and im sure the guy that sold it to me will not be pleased.

So i was thinking of getting the turbo's upgraded or at least overhauled. The cost of that will be much lower , plus its nearly the same as brand new.
So i was thinking of sending the turbo set to Turbo Dynamics and give them the same treatment as seen on E90post.

Now first of al i will have to convince the dealer to do the job , cause they rather work with overhauling companys that they are familiar with and they are a bit suspicious about the "upgrading " part.

Now my question is: will the upgraded turbo's create a limp or fault code after install? I could imagine the enhanced airflow could cause a fault code.
My car is bone stock otherwise but i plan on fiitting the tune and parts after this is done.
I just want to prevent that after installing those turbo's i will end up in a discussion with the dealer about fault codes showing up . They might screw something up during their work and blame it on the "upgraded turbo's" afterwards.

Thanks for your input guys.

Regards Tim
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
Donald-335i
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Hoes Crazy!

just buy a set of oem turbos for now until a pretty serious company comes out with one of there kits *ASR AMS* etc...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...Q5fAccessories

there u go will save u less of a headache.. lol
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
Funkmob
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thnx for the link , it does saves me some headache searching for them

But for now i want to get it repaired under warranty. Dealer will probably send the turbo's to a local overhaul shop where they will get the standard treatment. I just got to convince my dealer to send em to turbo dynamics who have a exellent upgrade available for the 335i.

So the question still remains: will a enhanced turbo trigger any kind of fault code?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

The dealer will replace your turbos completely under warranty. You wont be able to keep them though.
If you can get new turbos for free why would you just overhaul them?
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
Funkmob
First Lieutenant
Rep

I bought the car second hand at a non bmw dealer , he gave me 1 year warranty. Original BMW waranty is only 2 years here so that has expired.

Since the guy where a bought it from is a non bmw dealer he advised me to let the car be diagnosed and repaired at a authorized BMW dealer.

Since the official BMW dealer cannot act according to the original warranty they will have to search for a good but inexpensive sollution , thats why they will go the overhaul way.

The guy that i bought it from is a official car dealer and the 1 year warranty on second hand cars is something that is stated by law. But if i show him a bill for changing the turbo's with original bmw parts he will reject . His warranty goes thru an insurance company and they will put a inspector on it to minimize costs .

I was planning on doing the upgraded turbo's annyway , but now that i have these wastegate problems under my warranty i see an oppurtunity to get it done cheap
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #6
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Ok than its cheaper to just get bigger ones :-)
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkmob View Post
So the question still remains: will a enhanced turbo trigger any kind of fault code?Thanks.
I don't think so. But I would suggest you ask that question to E92Fan on the UK side of the forum directly, he'll be able to tell you that.

I agree with you that to get the upgrade done right away is the best solution if you're not under warranty anymore. However, why don't you send your DME to DMS in the UK at the same time? That way you can get both the turbos and the DME back and won't have any fault codes for sure.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      11-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #8
Funkmob
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
I don't think so. But I would suggest you ask that question to E92Fan on the UK side of the forum directly, he'll be able to tell you that.

I agree with you that to get the upgrade done right away is the best solution if you're not under warranty anymore. However, why don't you send your DME to DMS in the UK at the same time? That way you can get both the turbos and the DME back and won't have any fault codes for sure.

Alpina_B3_Lux
I just did a Pm to him

About DMS , i was about to purchase a procede , but now i want those turbo issues gone before i go for a tune.
Still my favor goes out to a piggyback system . My car will also get a Quaiffe LSD installed at a local tuner over here who is very experienced with BMW cars. Im still in conversation with this guy but apparently he is very qualified on engine electronics. He has been a bosh engineer in the past. It appears that he also has his own developped piggyback systems wich can be adjusted personally to your car. I will let him give his oppinions on this car and see what he can offer.
Still i think there is strong R&D and competition going on between Vishnu and JB3(BMS) wich is good for future development.

Alpina B3 , if i remember correct you are also about to install a LSD , right?
Maybe this shop is a option for you . Its in Lummen Belgium , much closer then the UK for us Benelux guys

Still waiting for a price from him , if i know more i will post it on the forum.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 05:00 PM   #9
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
I just did a Pm to him

About DMS , i was about to purchase a procede , but now i want those turbo issues gone before i go for a tune.
Still my favor goes out to a piggyback system . My car will also get a Quaiffe LSD installed at a local tuner over here who is very experienced with BMW cars. Im still in conversation with this guy but apparently he is very qualified on engine electronics. He has been a bosh engineer in the past. It appears that he also has his own developped piggyback systems wich can be adjusted personally to your car. I will let him give his oppinions on this car and see what he can offer.
Still i think there is strong R&D and competition going on between Vishnu and JB3(BMS) wich is good for future development.

Maybe this shop is a option for you . Its in Lummen Belgium , much closer then the UK for us Benelux guys

Still waiting for a price from him , if i know more i will post it on the forum.
Interested in the price quote too Although there's lots of stuff to do on my mod list before I reach the LSD. But it's good to know there are easier options than a trip to the UK.
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 03:07 AM   #10
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Thanks for the info, that's always useful.

However, I would also have several options of installing the Quaife in Germany which is far closer than UK as well, but I chose to make a trip to the UK (probably next February/March) for several reasons: First of all, Birds has the best knowledge and skill about the Quaife diffs, as they're the European distributor of these; secondly I want to install the M3 components at the same time, and with Birds I can be sure it's going to be done more than well; thirdly there's the advantage of the low GBP exhange rate for us EUR guys; and lastly, I can combine the trip with seeing some friends in London (and have a ride with Tone's upgraded turbos...)!

Alpina_B3_Lux
      11-27-2009, 03:12 AM   #11
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:

However, I would also have several options of installing the Quaife in Germany which is far closer than UK as well, but I chose to make a trip to the UK (probably next February/March) for several reasons: First of all, Birds has the best knowledge and skill about the Quaife diffs, as they're the European distributor of these; secondly I want to install the M3 components at the same time, and with Birds I can be sure it's going to be done more than well; thirdly there's the advantage of the low GBP exhange rate for us EUR guys; and lastly, I can combine the trip with seeing some friends in London (and have a ride with Tone's upgraded turbos...)!

Alpina_B3_Lux
Sounds like a good plan
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 03:27 AM   #12
Funkmob
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Alpina_B3_Lux
I definitly agree on Bird's having the most experience regarding these LSD's , i just hate it to drive on the other side of the road , thats why il do it over here

I was thinking too of doing the m3 suspension conversion together with the Quaiffe , keep us informed on how it turns out
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 05:27 AM   #13
Wiredless
E92 335i owner
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Kempower right? Would be interested in your quote too..if not here by PM please.

Good luck with your turbos.
      11-27-2009, 05:50 AM   #14
Funkmob
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredless View Post
Kempower right? Would be interested in your quote too..if not here by PM please.

Good luck with your turbos.
Correct its Kempower , he already gave me a quoted price on the install . Still waiting for the actual price on the Diff. He needed to figure that out with Quaiffe. I have a 11/2006 AT transmission 335I .

As soon as i know more i will inform annybody interested.
Appreciate 0