E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Bluetooth Retrofit: E90 335i with iDrive, Phone prep, Voice control, and USB

08-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #243
jezzy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 E91 325xi Black Wagon

I can confirm for a 2006 325 xi e91 Canadian that the above instructions to move pins 1-2-3 to 8-9-10 an 8-9-10 to 1-2-3 work perfectly! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #244
Mr.Scully
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 540i xDrive

Guys, I seem to have the MULF2 thing in the trunk of my 2009 E92 335i (I found it only recently - apparently it was delivered together with the S6FLA USB interface) but I think that's all I have. My VIN ends with PV77575 and I don't see anything phone/bluetooth related in the list of my equipment.

Can anybody advise what parts I have to buy to be able to connect my Android phone to the car iDrive/speakers? (I want to avoid asking our local BMW dealer because they are not really experienced nor helpful).

Many thanks in advance ;-)

This is my car:
S459A Seat adjuster, electric, with memory
S481A Sports seat
S502A Headlight cleaning system
S522A Xenon Light
S548A Kilometer-calibrated speedometer
S704A M Sports suspension
S851A Language version German
S1CAA Selection of COP relevant vehicles
S1CBA CO2 package
S1CDA Brake Energy Regeneration
S230A Extra package, EU-specific
S2MPA BMW alloy wheel, M double spoke 225
S302A Alarm system
P337A M Sports package
S423A Floor mats, velours
S428A Warning triangle and first aid kit
S431A Interior mirror with automatic-dip
S493A Storage compartment package
S494A Seat heating driver/passenger
S4AEA Armrest front, retractable
S4MGA Int. mouldings aluminium glacier-silver
S508A Park Distance Control (PDC)
S521A Rain sensor
S534A Automatic air conditioning
S544A Cruise control with brake function
S563A Light package
S609A Navigation system Professional
S676A HiFi speaker system
S698A Area-Code 2 for DVD
S6FLA USB/Audio interface
S710A M leather steering wheel
S715A M Aerodynamics package
S760A High gloss shadow line
S775A Headlining anthracite
P7RSA Package Comfort
L801A National Version Germany
S863A Retailer Directory Europe
S879A On-board vehicle literature German
S8SCA Telematics access request,country-spec.
S8SPA Control unit COP
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 01:42 PM   #245
jezzy
Major
Canada
Rep

I think you would need to add a tcu which will give you Bluetooth. I'd recommend you add a combox since you have navi. It'll replace your mulf and tcu. Do you have voice control already? Doesn't seem like it in your vo$ If not you'd need to add a mic and perhaps wiring indicated in this thread and a Bt antenna.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #246
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

if you want only telephone functions you need to add bluetooth antenna with wire and microphone with wire and code bluetooth function
you also can connect android phone via usb cable now for playback
if you want bluetooth audio streaming, you need to replace MULF2 HIGH module with COMBOX Media for E-Series
      08-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #247
Mr.Scully
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 540i xDrive

I don't need streaming, I'm more than happy with my USB interface ;-) And I don't have voice control.

I don't need anything expensive, I just thought I'd use the MULF2 module since I already have it... and I really need only telephone functions. So I need just the mic, the antenna, some wires and then just have the iDrive reprogrammed? Would anybody be so kind to list the part numbers for me?

This seems to be the antenna? Part number 6935688
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-ro...item337e03fe42

I can't find the mic on ebay...

Last edited by Mr.Scully; 08-04-2014 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #248
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e93 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzy View Post
I'm actually going to try this on my 2006 E91. I also looked behind my glove box and found the white connector, and has the same wire colours as you mention here. I didn't notice one behind my radio when doing my cic retrofit. I'll try re-pinning that plug with your order provided above and keep you posted. Fingers crossed. Looking forward to completing my bluetooth retrofit and getting my voice control working again !
Good luck man! Let us know how it goes.

07 BMW 335i E93 6MT (Praying neighborhood doesn't get flooded...again)
04 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (Flooded)
08 Audi TT 2.0T DSG (Flooded)
03 Subaru WRX 5MT (Flooded)
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 01:59 PM   #249
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e93 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scully View Post
I don't need streaming, I'm more than happy with my USB interface ;-) And I don't have voice control.

I don't need anything expensive, I just thought I'd use the MULF2 module since I already have it... and I really need only telephone functions. So I need just the mic, the antenna, some wires and then just have the iDrive reprogrammed? Would anybody be so kind to list the part numbers for me?

I would message tischer and get specific part numbers. You will definitely need to add a mic wire into the MULF2 to get it working. And I would think you would need the cable for the bluetooth antenna as well.

07 BMW 335i E93 6MT (Praying neighborhood doesn't get flooded...again)
04 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (Flooded)
08 Audi TT 2.0T DSG (Flooded)
03 Subaru WRX 5MT (Flooded)
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 11:15 PM   #250
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRichieX
Quote:

I would message tischer and get specific part numbers. You will definitely need to add a mic wire into the MULF2 to get it working. And I would think you would need the cable for the bluetooth antenna as well.
This.
      08-11-2014, 12:50 PM   #251
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:

You definitely need a mic and antenna, and you definitely need wiring for both. The antenna doesn't need to be the stock part, it can be a much cheaper generic antenna mounted properly in the trunk or back seat. The antenna and coax to wire it can be bought on ebay cheap from China (though shipping takes a while).

The microphone is BMW # 84-31-6-938-762, here:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Site...hone/ES201082/

The microphone wire, as far as I'm aware, is only available as part of a complete telephone-prepped harness that I'm not aware is sold anywhere anyway. I sell a suitable wire made-to-order, or I can tell you how to make your own if you're so inclined, PM me. I can send you ebay links for antenna stuff by PM as well (it's sort of pointless to post them publicly since auctions change and links break quickly).
      08-11-2014, 01:17 PM   #252
Wongway
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

Thanks for that part# alexwhittemore! I've been debating on whether or not I should get another one as I seem to be getting complaints lately about static on their end of the call. (though I don't seem to hear any of it, or get it on my end...)
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #253
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post
Thanks for that part# alexwhittemore! I've been debating on whether or not I should get another one as I seem to be getting complaints lately about static on their end of the call. (though I don't seem to hear any of it, or get it on my end...)
Very interesting. What year is your car, did it come with the mic, and did it come with bluetooth hands free enabled from the factory?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #254
Wongway
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

Mine is a 2011 E90 with factory bluetooth hands free enabled from the factory. No idrive, or anything else though. From descriptions, I'm guessing I have the factory installed 6FL (aux and usb port in center console) with base stereo.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 02:36 PM   #255
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post
Mine is a 2011 E90 with factory bluetooth hands free enabled from the factory. No idrive, or anything else though. From descriptions, I'm guessing I have the factory installed 6FL (aux and usb port in center console) with base stereo.
If that's the case, I don't suspect that changing out the mic would have any effect, but then I have no better troubleshooting suggestion either. If it's worth $55 to you to find out with the possibility it will make no difference, there you go .

I ask the year because I believe, at some point, the mic design DID change and the part number was updated to fix issues related to quality, but I think your '11 probably has the newer part. I'm also not sure, though, and the ECS tuning part I linked above is definitely the newest. So you may as well try swapping it out.
      08-11-2014, 02:40 PM   #256
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Sorry, something I didn't address before but just noticed: I just clicked on your ebay link - that's the shark fin antenna on the roof (they call it aerial diversity antenna). You've already got one of those. The factory bluetooth antenna is a directional 2.4GHz antenna that gets installed in the pedal trim on the driver's side in the footwell. But again, that's a $50 or so part and nobody retrofitting has reported suffering any quality loss by going for a much cheaper generic BT antenna installed appropriately elsewhere.

WHY the huge design difference between what's stock and what's cheapest, I'm not too sure, but it may well be something related to electromagnetic emissions criteria for cars, i.e. something you probably don't need to worry about if retrofitting.
      12-18-2014, 03:22 PM   #257
doogle
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335i

I have a 2010 135i (production date 09/09) with:

CIC IDrive (S609A)
USB/IPOD (S6FLA)
Voice Control (S620A)

and without phone prewiring

I have a MULF2-HI in the trunk with no extra wiring. My MULF2 cable has blank pins on 1, 19, 21. In my glovebox the microphone's white connector has 3 cables going into it, black, yellow, and clear.

My question is this: instead of rerunning the microphone cables from the MULF2 to the microphone, is it possible to either tap into or depin the microphone cables in the glove compartment then run new cabling to the MULF2's 1, 19, 21 pins without losing voice control?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 03:27 PM   #258
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogle View Post
I have a 2010 135i (production date 09/09) with:

CIC IDrive (S609A)
USB/IPOD (S6FLA)
Voice Control (S620A)

and without phone prewiring

I have a MULF2-HI in the trunk with no extra wiring. My MULF2 cable has blank pins on 1, 19, 21. In my glovebox the microphone's white connector has 3 cables going into it, black, yellow, and clear.

My question is this: instead of rerunning the microphone cables from the MULF2 to the microphone, is it possible to either tap into or depin the microphone cables in the glove compartment then run new cabling to the MULF2's 1, 19, 21 pins without losing voice control?
I don't see why not, but it's about as hard, maybe harder, to run a cable from the glovebox to the trunk as it is to run one headliner to trunk. And you've got the extra step of tapping the voice control pins.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 05:18 PM   #259
jezzy
Major
Canada
Rep

When I did my combox retrofit I had to re pin the wires in the glovebox to re enable my microphone for voice and Bluetooth. Very easy to do. My car is an 06 325 though!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 04:59 AM   #260
Buratino117
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i n51

hello group
My car has the mulf2 (6fl) and the phone preparations...I got a tcu and the fdz from an 06 325 and installed in my car both components...I did not have to do any kind of programing (besides the pin swap next to the fuse /glove box area) and the bluetooth is working as it should...However, my BMW assist is NOT working at all. I think that it should because the car that came from had the premium package. In the optic fiber boxes I have 3 and two wires while others and the pics in this post show 3 and 1. The BMW Assist button lites up (when headlights are on) but no communications of any kind is present. What is throwing me off are the optical box configurations: because insetad having the wires connected to 1,2 and 3 I have them at 5, 4 and 3. I was able to play with the wires to make the bluetooth function but at this point I am stuck because I am not sure if the BMW assist is not working because the lack of coding or there is a need of some additional wiring that need to be done. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 03:10 PM   #261
Natef53
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: f80 M3

Hoping someone is still active on this thread and can help.

I've got the exact same setup as OP (idrive, no bluetooth phone/assist, MULF2) I ordered and installed the bluetooth antenna. Rewired the white plug behind the glove box as well as the MULF2 in the trunk. I added $644 to the VO.

At this point, everything on the thread says that I should be up and running but the idrive is still telling me that no phone is installed. Is this a situation where I need to wait it out, or is something wrong?

I noticed something about having to code 2RAD but upon further reading that appears to be for people who do not have idrive. Do I need to code something to the idrive to turn bluetooth functionality on or is adding the 644 to the VO all I should need to do?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 03:24 PM   #262
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natef53 View Post
Hoping someone is still active on this thread and can help.

I've got the exact same setup as OP (idrive, no bluetooth phone/assist, MULF2) I ordered and installed the bluetooth antenna. Rewired the white plug behind the glove box as well as the MULF2 in the trunk. I added $644 to the VO.

At this point, everything on the thread says that I should be up and running but the idrive is still telling me that no phone is installed. Is this a situation where I need to wait it out, or is something wrong?

I noticed something about having to code 2RAD but upon further reading that appears to be for people who do not have idrive. Do I need to code something to the idrive to turn bluetooth functionality on or is adding the 644 to the VO all I should need to do?

Thanks!
search the forum for "sg_reset"
      04-30-2015, 04:06 PM   #263
Natef53
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
You beautiful bastard.

The mic doesn't work so I need to check the wiring but I am able to pair the phone now!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 05:30 PM   #264
Natef53
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
Going to be that double posting guy right now, sorry.

I just tore everything apart and triple checked the wiring for the mic. I've got the "sheath" of wires behind the glovebox with the yellow, black, and clear matched up on the connector. I've taped off the unused connectors.

I checked the reconfigured blue connector for the MULF2, everything is exactly as the guide says.

I also checked for the mic, even though I know its there because voice commands worked previously, all is well there.

Is there anything else that I could be missing to get the mic working?

Thanks in advance to anyone offering advice!
Appreciate 0