E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > E90 Pro head unit - fitted 250w rms amp + 12" sub but still lack bass...

01-22-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
BMWGBUK
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E90 318i SE

E90 Pro head unit - fitted 250w rms amp + 12" sub but still lack bass...

Beleive me I have used all the search options but just want a few things cleared up!

I want to keep Professional oem head unit for obvious reasons

I have high level input into a 250w rms class D monoblock amp
I get extreme bass when the boot (trunk) lid is open - but as I expected and read before - the bass struggles to get into the cabin to be heard! I dont have split folding seats in my Saloon/Sedan

I took the high level input from rear speakers (just to test amp/sub works) Its a perfectly matched 12" sub btw.

I appreciate I may get a clearer, better signal from the underfloor subs speaker cable....
But what I heard when I open the boot is more than acceptible if I had a hatch back!

Anyway;

Question: Would replacing the Pro head unit with a 4x50w per channel new Alpine head unit give me that much more bass (keeping all speakers OEM and no 12" sub) I am thinking that giving the OEM subs under seats the 50W from the new head unit would be a great increase over the Pro head unit? Ive uprated the 4" front door speakers already (for coaxials as I dont have any tweeters)

And also - I really dont like splicing, fiddling as my car is under warranty - so would replacing the OEM 6" sub for a deeper bass mid-bass speaker under the seats (like 6x9 or 17cm?) be any better...........I cant see how compared to a BMW 6" sub but worth asking. I know a 6x9 speaker with a 50w input can and does kick out a fair bit of bass? Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

If you tapped the rear speakers and you have the base/stereo system, youre pulling from
A signal thats already high passed
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGBUK View Post
Beleive me I have used all the search options but just want a few things cleared up!

I want to keep Professional oem head unit for obvious reasons

I have high level input into a 250w rms class D monoblock amp
I get extreme bass when the boot (trunk) lid is open - but as I expected and read before - the bass struggles to get into the cabin to be heard! I dont have split folding seats in my Saloon/Sedan

I took the high level input from rear speakers (just to test amp/sub works) Its a perfectly matched 12" sub btw.

I appreciate I may get a clearer, better signal from the underfloor subs speaker cable....
But what I heard when I open the boot is more than acceptible if I had a hatch back!

Anyway;

Question: Would replacing the Pro head unit with a 4x50w per channel new Alpine head unit give me that much more bass (keeping all speakers OEM and no 12" sub) I am thinking that giving the OEM subs under seats the 50W from the new head unit would be a great increase over the Pro head unit? Ive uprated the 4" front door speakers already (for coaxials as I dont have any tweeters)

And also - I really dont like splicing, fiddling as my car is under warranty - so would replacing the OEM 6" sub for a deeper bass mid-bass speaker under the seats (like 6x9 or 17cm?) be any better...........I cant see how compared to a BMW 6" sub but worth asking. I know a 6x9 speaker with a 50w input can and does kick out a fair bit of bass? Many thanks
This has been discussed several times here: the 6-speaker system rear speakers do not have any bass signal.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
BMWGBUK
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E90 318i SE

cool, will correct that thanks - i didnt think it would make a huge difference as its still a signal from the pro h/u
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGBUK View Post
cool, will correct that thanks - i didnt think it would make a huge difference as its still a signal from the pro h/u
Signal from the front channels out of the Pro CD player:

\

Signal from the rear channels out of the Pro CD player:

Been a topic for conversation before. Don't feel too bad, professional installers have made the same bonehead mistake you did.

Car's still gonna sound pretty bad though. Front speakers are horrid, underseats are horrid.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Car's still gonna sound pretty bad though. Front speakers are horrid, underseats are horrid.
But other than that...