E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > HHH..HELP Me with this Problem I Have...Please!

05-07-2009, 04:17 AM   #1
illingworth22
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Has the replecemnt of the Clutch cracked my Block or not?

Well where do I start..... at the beginning I hear you say!
I bought my 320 M Sport Coupe in March on this year from a Ford Dealer in the North of England. The car Oct 2007 320 diesel was in good condition and had 10,600 miles on the clock.
Last Wednesday (29th April) my wife phoned to say we had oil on the drive so I had the car checked by a BMW dealer here in the Republic of Ireland. They called me to say they would need the car in for a full day in order to find the leak, they also asked me if I had recently had the clutch changed as there were two bolts missing from the gear box (the bolts which connect the gear box to the engine) and these bolts would need to be ordered in. I told them I had just bought the car and had no knowledge of the replacement clutch.
The car went into BMW yesterday and I had the dreaded call yesterday afternoon to say that at first they could not find the leak but when they switched off the engine they noticed a trickle of oil coming from the gearbox. They then removed the gearbox and saw where the leak was coming from. The bolts which fasten the gearbox to the engine are all the same thread but are different lengths, when the clutch had been changed one of the longer bolts had been put in to a position where one of the shorter bolts should have gone, this bolt was then over tightened and went through the gearbox housing and has subsequently cracked the engine
Now BMW Ireland are going to give me a report on there findings, but this is not covered under warranty. Also the Clutch was replaced by A BMW dealer in the North East of England.
My current position is this I am waiting for BMW UK Dealer to contact the BMW Dealer here in Ireland.

Can anyone suggest what they think I should do if the UK Dealer tries to wriggle out of paying for a new engine, which BMW Ireland say I need? Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Yours a Walking Busing BMW owner

[EDIT] The Car is still in warranty. the Clutch was changed 15th Jan 07 by a BMW Dealer. BMW Warranty only covers production line faults. This is the problem of the Dealership who changed the clutch (waiting for them to accept responsibility!). 10k euro for new engine.
One other thing, the VRT (Import Duty) 6K euro has been paid on this car which means if I do get my cash back from the Ford Dealer and I replace with another BMW I will be out of pocket to the tune of 12K

[Update] The UK Dealer (I am not mentioning any names as yet) has just contacted me. They are paying the Irish Dealer to put the car back into a drivable condition and sending over a Technician to recover the car. They will then inspect it themselves. They will not pay for a loan car until they are in a position to determine who is at fault! One thing that did give me a cause for concear was the Assistant Service Manager said to me on the phone "The Clutch was replaced under the previous owner" which more or less gave me the impression they could have a "Get Out Of Jail Free" card stuffed up there sleeve!

Last edited by illingworth22; 05-08-2009 at 04:22 AM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 04:54 AM   #2
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
If the clutch was replaced by a BMW dealer, irrespective of whether or not it was covered under warranty, the workmanship is, and if the gearbox was damaged by poor workmanship it is down to the dealer who carried out the work to put thing right.

BMW Ireland should be able to see which dealer did the repair and when, hopefully they will do what they can to get things sorted in your favour
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 05:30 AM   #3
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
I may have my rose tinted glass on but I can't see there being a problem here at all. If BMW Ireland pass their report to BMW North of England I can't see how they can wriggle out of anything. It's their solely their poor work that has resulted in this problem. They can hardly accuse you of doing it yourself during ownership can they!!!

Does beg the question, why did an Oct 07 car with 10k on the clock need such work in the first place - worth asking the question - might be able to wriggle out of the car completely as it wasn't sold to you with full & complete information. You don't want to end up with a problem car - warranty or no warranty.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 05:50 AM   #4
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by illingworth22 View Post
Well where do I start..... at the beginning I hear you say!
I bought my 320 M Sport Coupe in March on this year from a Ford Dealer in the North of England. The car Oct 2007 320 diesel was in good condition and had 10,600 miles on the clock.
Last Wednesday (29th April) my wife phoned to say we had oil on the drive so I had the car checked by a BMW dealer here in the Republic of Ireland. They called me to say they would need the car in for a full day in order to find the leak, they also asked me if I had recently had the clutch changed as there were two bolts missing from the gear box (the bolts which connect the gear box to the engine) and these bolts would need to be ordered in. I told them I had just bought the car and had no knowledge of the replacement clutch.
The car went into BMW yesterday and I had the dreaded call yesterday afternoon to say that at first they could not find the leak but when they switched off the engine they noticed a trickle of oil coming from the gearbox. They then removed the gearbox and saw where the leak was coming from. The bolts which fasten the gearbox to the engine are all the same thread but are different lengths, when the clutch had been changed one of the longer bolts had been put in to a position where one of the shorter bolts should have gone, this bolt was then over tightened and went through the gearbox housing and has subsequently cracked the engine
Now BMW Ireland are going to give me a report on there findings, but this is not covered under warranty. Also the Clutch was replaced by A BMW dealer in the North East of England.
My current position is this I am waiting for BMW UK Dealer to contact the BMW Dealer here in Ireland.

Can anyone suggest what they think I should do if the UK Dealer tries to wriggle out of paying for a new engine, which BMW Ireland say I need? Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Yours a Walking Busing BMW owner
In the first instance you need to go back to the Ford Dealer who sold you the car. If you bought it in March then they will struggle to argue that this fault was not present at the time of sale.

You also need to track down the timing of the clutch change. BMW UK should be able to tell you if this was done within their dealer network.

This will at least help you pinpoint the date and demonstrate that the work was done before the Ford dealer sold you the vehicle.

You may have an argument that BMW should honour it's warranty in respect of problems caused by their own dealer network. However, I would avoid getting into this and concentrate very heavily on the dealer who sold you the car. You've only had it a couple of months and if you can prove that the damage was caused before they sold it too you I think you can push them to cover the costs of repair or take the car back.

If the dealer is not helpful then talk to trading standards.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
SixDegrees
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
2011 Abarth 500  [0.00]
Agree with NFS, back to the Ford Dealer wwhere you bough the car. Warranty or not the car you've bought is faulty and can not have been caused by you.

You bough the car with good intentions and not made aware of any issues, not that Ford would've known (or did they) so I believe the law sist firmly in your favour.

2007 [57] 320d M-Sport Touring
Pre 2007 - GT TDI 4MO, Mk4 R32, A3 TQ, A3T, Cupra R and on and on and on.....
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
Pioneer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 320d M sport

This won't be a problem at all. I would think the dealer who changed the clutch will work with you in order not to put them in a situation where a law suit might occur. Good luck any way. This is common to see a clutch replaced with 320d, as a lot of them suffer from a shutter. Who bmw now say that it's an issue with the software and not the actual clutch. Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #7
foxy-367
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M-Sport

Sorry a bit o/t but wa it the le mans blue one from Crewe Ford?

PM me if you like, I was looking at one around there and wondered if it was the same car!

Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having mate

Now - E90 320d M Sport, Le Mans Blue, sun protection glass, Auto lights and wipers, 193M, a big grin
Previous - Seat Leon FR, Golf Gttdi (x2), Mk3 Fiesta SI, E30 318i Peugeot 205 Roland Garros, Mk2 Fiesta Ghia (it had a rev counter!!!!)
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 04:20 AM   #8
illingworth22
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

I will update with a new post so as to Bump up to the top again
I just had a call from BMW UK Dealer and they have another car 320 diesel in with exactly the same fault. Had a clutch replaced and now has a leak from exactly the same position! (I hope this is not too much of a coincidence!!!)
So they are telling me that it is not possible to put the wrong size bolt back in and crack the block, but there have been several revisions to the engine and to cut a long story short, and I am not that technical as to regurgitate what he said word for word... but the gasket between the gearbox and the engine seems to be the problem. BMW Ireland are having a meeting with there Head Technical Guy and will investigate the matter further. So may not have a crack in the block as first thought. Watch this space.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 04:36 AM   #9
E902717
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E91 335d M-Sport

keep us posted!

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 03:31 AM   #10
illingworth22
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

OK so this was the story as of Yesterday (My Birthday may I point out was on the 8th of May, you will find out later on in the saga)
BMW UK phoned me to say they had just got a car with the same problem as mine and had spent all day both on the phone to BMW Main Technical Dept & also working on the Car. They had found that the engine had been revised and due to these (BMW) modifications a gasket on the gearbox was prone to leaks.
BMW Ireland didn't phone so I phoned them at around 16.00hrs. There reply was "We have been on to the UK dealer, been in meetings throughout the day with top Technical people from BMW and we cannot find any BMW Technical information to back up the UK dealer's explanation"
"Right" I said, "You have had my car in bits for 3 days and now your saying it is still a UK problem and correct me if I am mistaken BMW UK are saying it is actually a BMW problem which IS covered by warranty?"
I then called BMW Customer Service I explained that today was my Birthday, my wife was on the west coast of Ireland arranging my party, I was still in Dublin without a car, and had been without a car for three days now! They called me back and offered me a courtesy until my car was sorted.
It doesn't get any better! My Dublin Dealer had no staff available to collect the car, BMW Irish Dealer #2 could not let me have the car unless BMW Dealer #1 had a representative with me to hand over the car. Excuse my typing now but what a FUCK UP!
Wife in Gallway, I am in Dublin sans Car. BMW Ireland can not get the car to me until Monday!
If I ever needed to get something like a retro fit I-Pod or USB fitted along with a Body Shop to touch up a few stone chips well now would be the time to ask!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 07:43 AM   #11
illingworth22
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Saga continues......
I now have a BMW courtesy car compliments of BMW Ireland
BMW Ireland are still waiting for the report from the UK dealer who have a car with exactly the same problem as mine has. They are also waiting for more information from BMW Technical (I assume Germany) as to what they need to do to the car. I have been told to contact BMW Irish Dealer) on Thursday to get an update.
Now considering I didn't have any car from BMW for 6 days dose anyone think it an un-reasonable request for BMW (Whoever) to offer me all chips and scratches to be cleared up and a retro fit for the I-Pod?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 05:40 AM   #12
illingworth22
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Case Closed... well for now that is!

I got the Car back from BMW Ireland last night, all fixed. They said it was the gearbox gasket and that no one had seen this before (I assume in Ireland).

The wife said I could be heard saying "I Love you" in my sleep last night, and she said it sounded like I was referring to the car and not her!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 06:23 AM   #13
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Good you've got it all sorted, but what a PITA
      05-14-2009, 11:15 AM   #14
Geoffo
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Something else..

Glad you got it sorted.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 11:34 AM   #15
Spin
fast Cars are safer
England
Rep
Drives: 335d M Sport Coupe

At least it's a happy ending

"Fast Cars are Safer..."
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 11:46 AM   #16
illingworth22
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Thanks all. Now do you think I should be asking for something as a result of being without a car for 6 days, remembering that it was in fact a warranty claim after all and not a cracked block as first suggested? I thought of retro fit USB & I-Pod kit!

Comments please.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #17
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks all. Now do you think I should be asking for something as a result of being without a car for 6 days, remembering that it was in fact a warranty claim after all and not a cracked block as first suggested? I thought of retro fit USB & I-Pod kit!

Comments please.
You can try! BMW had my car for 4 weeks when it was 10 days old for a failed steering rack, then a fortnight after I had it back, had to go in again for 5 weeks with a failed fuel pump.

I managed to get em to pay my months finance each time and got £400 as a goodwill gesture. All that for driving a 118D instead of my brand new vert during the first summer I had the car, and I had been talking to high up managers at BMW UK.

If you dont ask you wont get!!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 02:18 PM   #18
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
I got the Car back from BMW Ireland last night, all fixed. They said it was the gearbox gasket and that no one had seen this before (I assume in Ireland).

The wife said I could be heard saying "I Love you" in my sleep last night, and she said it sounded like I was referring to the car and not her!
Glad it's sorted.

I'd suggest that you make contact with BMW Ireland and UK to complain.

Essentially, the car failed under warranty. This shouldn't have happened and BMW should have bent over backwards to fix it without inconvenience to yourself.

Unfortunately it sounds as if your dealer and BMW Ireland were more interested in wriggling out of there warranty obligations than honouring them.

The fact that this was a problem they had not seen before is irrelevant. Unless they knew for a fact that you had broken the terms of the warranty they should have sorted it right away. Instead they dicked you around and willfully inconvenience you for no reason at all.

BMW's warranty is a major selling point and it's a big issue if they decide not to deliver against it.

You've every right to make a formal complaint and to request significant compensation for the inconvenience caused.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 06:57 AM   #19
alpini
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F32 420d M Sport Coupe

Garage List
just back from holidays and only realising all your bother while i was away. you're lucky to have her back in a relatively short space of time - i know what it's like to be parted from your bmw!!

glad everything has been sorted tho i would push for some sort of goodwill gesture from bmw - what have u got to lose??

thankfully my car going great - planning the next few mods....!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 11:47 AM   #20
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
That is a major scary story!! Glad you now have it all sorted.

Can't believe they pissed you about as much as they did - but then again when it is between an Irish and UK dealer, they seem to look down their noses at eachother.

My wife had a mini cooper with problems years ago and when BMW Dublin threw some parts at the problem, it did not sort the issue. She then went to a NI dealer and they again threw the same parts at the car in another attempt to fix it. They would not take her word that the same parts had already been replaced. Needless to say, the same parts changed twice did not fix the problem
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 02:51 AM   #21
marcenick
Rep
Drives: e90 Alpinweiss

look at this:

http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtop...2976&start=165
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 03:28 AM   #22
illingworth22
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcenick View Post
I wonder if this problem (oil leak) I had was related to the car loosing power. I could not rev the engine above 2,500 revs and the car drove like smeone had switched off the turbo!

Could it be the leak caused a loss in preasure, but not all the time? I am not technical where engines are concerned.
BMW (UK Dealer) did tell me that there were problems with the Gasket from the gear box to the clutch and BMW Germany had there top techies looking in to the problem, they only let this info slip because they were having to come over to Ireland, collect the car and pay the Irish dealer 1,000 euros to put the car back into a drivable condition. Once they found out this Info they were doing all they could to get BMW Ireland to fix the so called proble under warranty!
I feel sorry for some poor bugger who's car is out of Warranty, Irish BMW's only have 2 years!!!!!!!!!!!.
Appreciate 0