E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Akrapovic Dps and slip-on exo

08-14-2012, 11:58 PM   #1
zz10
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Akrapovic Dps and slip-on exo

HI there,

is there anyone running this setup on his 335i? Hows the performance compared to the AA/AR dps with Akra slip-on / eisemann race?

Updatess****

After 2 months of waiting and consideration, I finally get the Evolution.

I did install the slip-on with stock midpipes and then followed by Akra midpipes but couldn't tell any difference in sound and/or performance. but one thing's for sure, the axleback weighs significantly lower than the Esienmann Race and car does feel lighter after wards.

Next to test fit if the 370Z and Evo10 CF tips can be fitted onto my rear!

As well as the Akra downpipes; just in time for x'mas
Attached Images

Last edited by zz10; 11-11-2012 at 10:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 01:15 AM   #2
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
I doubt many are, pretty pricey stuff, especially for the downpipes. Performance differences between all downpipes are going to be very negligible, most of the difference is build quality and fitment.

The evolution vs. slip-on is going to net you gains similar to what any full back exhaust would. Don't expect much gain at all, if any, from just a slip-on, that's not the bottle-neck. I have the Akra slip-on and the sole reason was for the quality and sound.
      08-15-2012, 01:19 AM   #3
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
I got Akra DPs -- Fitment was perfect (what I imagine BMW non-catted DPs would fit like). As for sound, there's prob no difference from one catless DP to the next

Full Akra system is where you're going to see the difference (prob the closest to a drone free system since their Evo system has resonators built into it. Just not sure it's worth over $2k for the full Akra Evo system
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 01:22 AM   #4
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
Just not sure it's worth over $2k for the full Akra Evo system
What's crazy is that majority of the price is actually for the slip-on part. The actual exhaust system is cheaper than most full backs.
      08-15-2012, 01:30 AM   #5
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock View Post
What's crazy is that majority of the price is actually for the slip-on part. The actual exhaust system is cheaper than most full backs.
What's the slip section cost? Strictly evaluating performance vs. dollars, there is NO way to justify the cost for our cars
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 01:33 AM   #6
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
It's $2200 for the SS slip-on. There is absolutely no performance justification, you get it for the quality and unique sound. I would be the first to admit it has absolutely no effect on performance, and I didn't expect it to.
      08-15-2012, 01:41 AM   #7
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
It's $2200 for the SS slip-on
Mod Bug =

Last edited by benzy89; 11-09-2012 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 01:44 AM   #8
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Mod Bug =
Believe me, I have burned through quite a few of those.
      08-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
zz10
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I doubt many are, pretty pricey stuff, especially for the downpipes. Performance differences between all downpipes are going to be very negligible, most of the difference is build quality and fitment.

The evolution vs. slip-on is going to net you gains similar to what any full back exhaust would. Don't expect much gain at all, if any, from just a slip-on, that's not the bottle-neck. I have the Akra slip-on and the sole reason was for the quality and sound.
Quote:
I got Akra DPs -- Fitment was perfect (what I imagine BMW non-catted DPs would fit like). As for sound, there's prob no difference from one catless DP to the next

Full Akra system is where you're going to see the difference (prob the closest to a drone free system since their Evo system has resonators built into it. Just not sure it's worth over $2k for the full Akra Evo system
Thus you have the Akra dp and the slip-on? Any droning in the car? How about Hp gain?

Yes, the $$ is the main difference for the Evo and Slip-on, thus I was thinking if the Akra catless Dp will make up for the horsepower for the slip-on for this 2 combo set-up. (obvious to say the evolution + Dp would be the ultimate hp gain, apart from the $$$). For here the price difference between the Slipon and Evo can get me the Akra Dp.

any insights?

PS: can the dual 90mm tips be changed to the quad 76mm x4 ???
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #10
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz10 View Post
thus I was thinking if the Akra catless Dp will make up for the horsepower for the slip-on for this 2 combo set-up. (obvious to say the evolution + Dp would be the ultimate hp gain, apart from the $$$). For here the price difference between the Slipon and Evo can get me the Akra Dp.

any insights?
Like I said, downpipes are downpipes. Some people (including Benzy I think) got Akra DPs for half the current cost, which made them comparable, but at $1600 they are not worth it from a pure performance perspective.

And you're comparing two different things. Downpipes will give you much more gains than a catback exhaust alone. I doubt you will notice much of anything with just the Evolution exhaust and stock DPs, so to say "will the DPs make up for the HP"....well, most of the gain comes from the DP to begin with.

It sounds like you're looking more for performance than quality/Akra name, so just get some AR or VSRF DPs and if you like the sound of the Akra slip-on, get that, or save about half the cost and get a full cat-back exhaust from someone else.
      08-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Yep, I got my Akras as a gift but only because they were a shelf set being sold by HP Autowerks (otherwise it prob would've been AR's). If I can't justify spending over $1k on an exhaust, you can bet that there was not shot I'd pay full price for Akra DPs when you have so many other quality options (Macht Schnell, cp-E, AR, etc).

On a CBE (cat-back exhaust), most you'll see is 15 WHP gains. With DPs, usually 20-25 WHP is normal (for catless). Regardless of which brand you go with, as long as they're catless tubes you'll see the same gains. The BIGGEST difference will be FITMENT -- the less expensive, the more "stubborn" they might be. At 50% off, the Akras were an absolute steal for the quality of materials & perfect fitment (there is prob NO noticeable performance difference between my Akras & VRSFs or any 3" DP).

If you want to get your best bang for buck with near-Akra quality/fitment, I'd recommend AR, cp-E or Macht Schnell DPs combined with a parted out E9x M3 exhaust or the Remus Quad Axle-Back (since you specifically mentioned an interest in a Quad Tip Exhaust). Some combination of those parts will give you the same performance as the Akra system with nearly the same fitment at a much lower cost.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #12
Aridk
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89

No resonators on the 335i! The 1M and the M3 has Them bor not our 335i so welcome expencive drone :-(
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #13
M-POWERED-
Private
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aridk View Post
No resonators on the 335i! The 1M and the M3 has Them bor not our 335i so welcome expencive drone :-(
I have Akra 1M DPs+Evolution stainless on my xi and a very slight drone, much better compared to performance exhaust... Sounds very aggressive, but not too loud, I like.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #14
M-POWERED-
Private
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz10 View Post
HI there,

is there anyone running this setup on his 335i? Hows the performance compared to the AA/AR dps with Akra slip-on / eisemann race?
I would better go with my setup, buy evolution, don't save money on mid pipes and go full system, it will return in music to your ears. Eisenmann is tend to drone with DPs so much.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #15
M-POWERED-
Private
Russian Federation
Rep

BTW, I had both slip on version first, evolution next and I could say that with full system you get better throttle response and engine revved much lighter and sharper, definitely felt the improvement. It was a surprise for me, that mid pipes and x pipe could do such a magic. May be it is because of the exhaust diameter being increased and now all the same from turbo till the end. Downpipes? Yes, no difference compared to AR which I had before.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #16
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aridk View Post
The OEM exhaust doesn't, but the Akra EVO exhaust has resonators. Go look on their website if you want to double check. The 1M exhaust is the same except for the quad pipes. The E9x M3 Akra EVO has both Sport Cats & Resonators in it
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #17
zz10
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Like I said, downpipes are downpipes. Some people (including Benzy I think) got Akra DPs for half the current cost, which made them comparable, but at $1600 they are not worth it from a pure performance perspective.

And you're comparing two different things. Downpipes will give you much more gains than a catback exhaust alone. I doubt you will notice much of anything with just the Evolution exhaust and stock DPs, so to say "will the DPs make up for the HP"....well, most of the gain comes from the DP to begin with.

It sounds like you're looking more for performance than quality/Akra name, so just get some AR or VSRF DPs and if you like the sound of the Akra slip-on, get that, or save about half the cost and get a full cat-back exhaust from someone else.
Yes, you're right, thing is I'm running Eisemann race now which is droning too much in my car, can't imagine if I run a catless downpipes on it and I'd won't even able to hear my radio.

Quote:
Yep, I got my Akras as a gift but only because they were a shelf set being sold by HP Autowerks (otherwise it prob would've been AR's). If I can't justify spending over $1k on an exhaust, you can bet that there was not shot I'd pay full price for Akra DPs when you have so many other quality options (Macht Schnell, cp-E, AR, etc).

On a CBE (cat-back exhaust), most you'll see is 15 WHP gains. With DPs, usually 20-25 WHP is normal (for catless). Regardless of which brand you go with, as long as they're catless tubes you'll see the same gains. The BIGGEST difference will be FITMENT -- the less expensive, the more "stubborn" they might be. At 50% off, the Akras were an absolute steal for the quality of materials & perfect fitment (there is prob NO noticeable performance difference between my Akras & VRSFs or any 3" DP).

If you want to get your best bang for buck with near-Akra quality/fitment, I'd recommend AR, cp-E or Macht Schnell DPs combined with a parted out E9x M3 exhaust or the Remus Quad Axle-Back (since you specifically mentioned an interest in a Quad Tip Exhaust). Some combination of those parts will give you the same performance as the Akra system with nearly the same fitment at a much lower cost.
Thus as side downpipes ain't a big issue since most brand gives +/- gains, only on the fitment issue; which thus prompt me to go for the same macufacturer for the exo and dp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-power- View Post
I would better go with my setup, buy evolution, don't save money on mid pipes and go full system, it will return in music to your ears. Eisenmann is tend to drone with DPs so much.
see below for my explanation mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-power- View Post
BTW, I had both slip on version first, evolution next and I could say that with full system you get better throttle response and engine revved much lighter and sharper, definitely felt the improvement. It was a surprise for me, that mid pipes and x pipe could do such a magic. May be it is because of the exhaust diameter being increased and now all the same from turbo till the end. Downpipes? Yes, no difference compared to AR which I had before.

And evo system and slipon would cost me $1800 difference, and shelling out money for mere 15hp aint that significant. Furthermore, any aftermarket exos that we run has to come with a certificate, because we need to send our car for inspection every 1 or 2 years depending on age of the car.

The evo would not come with the certificate, but the slip-on does and that would save a lot of trouble if I get stopped by traffic police for the exo certificate verification.

In summary;

slip-on -> comes with cert -> save trouble -> save $

and, there's no regulation for aftermarket downpipes which I can install any aftermarket d/p I want
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #18
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
I'm really surprised they would care about exhaust and not downpipes, since that's where the cats are.
      08-16-2012, 11:37 PM   #19
zz10
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Because they assumed the Downpipes would be catback, and as long as the exhaust is approved from traffic authorities and comes with a certificate.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #20
zz10
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
I've asked around in my local community and no one has mounted a 1M Akra d/p on the 335i, can anyone whom is running give a breakdown on the installation?

Some Qs are:

- is LHD and RHD the same orientation?
- Do I need a Dp fix, if I am running a JB4?
- Any other mountings/accessories required to mount the akra d/p?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #21
ar design II
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: which one?

Akrapovic makes some really nice stuff, biggest difference is 2.5" vs 3"
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 04:37 PM   #22
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

What's with all the "slip-on" talk ? These are not condoms. These are serious exhaust systems for cars.
Appreciate 0