E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Track Day at Homestead with NASA 3/24/2012

03-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Talking Track Day at Homestead with NASA 3/24/2012

Not an e90, but I'm active here, so thought I'll post it here too, hope you guys don't mind.

----------------

Here's a video from this weekend (3/23-24/2013) at Homestead-Miami Speedway with NASA. Running stockish boost the second day, because the first day was essentially a throw away, troubleshooting a 30FF (Underboost) condition. Finally found the issue, Forge diverter valve hose (connecting to charge pipe) had a micro-crack that opened up on the back side. Hard to find, fixed it after the fist day, but decided to run stockish boost to not force things. I say stockish because it was around 10-11 PSI to run some 50/50 water/meth for cooling (not power), it was hot 86-92 degrees this weekend and humid.

Anyways, the video plus some pictures with the new Apex EC-7 9.5 all around (fitment is perfect) with Hankook TD's 265/35/18 (they're almost a 275 with 272mm section width).

I got those tires, just because I was curious, wanted to try them out (soft compound), may try the hard compound next just to compare.

Video

Also some random fun during the event (Harlem Shake)

Pictures -- credit the on-track pictures to @Maeiourk for taking them, very cool of him.

Last edited by yandy; 03-25-2013 at 08:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Nice vid man, and cool car, we definitely don't mind more activity in this part of the forum. (Is there a build thread on your car?)

Looked like there was a NASCAR in front of you at the beginning? I was on track with one of those before, it was loudest thing I can remember (save perhaps the Blue Angels).

That track w/ the infield transition kinda reminds me of our local NASCAR track, Pocono. Our infield transition is much worse though (practically went airborne on rebound in an instructor's stock E46 M3). It doesn't look like the smoothest track out there either, judging by the camera movement. I love the palm trees along the straight though. (Perhaps I'm overly jealous of your warm weather).
      03-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
DallasBoosted
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
There's a track here in Texas where you transition up onto the oval for a section like that too, and you have to manage your line and really be ready for the jolt because it will send you sideways in a hurry.

Cool car, I like the front/rear cams. Where is your mic mounted? Thats an external right?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
J-Spec Dan
ALL RIGHTY THEN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 STX Advance

i agree, looks like there was a NASCAR in front of you. i enjoyed watching you go through the course in your E82.
      03-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #5
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
Nice vid man, and cool car, we definitely don't mind more activity in this part of the forum. (Is there a build thread on your car?)

Looked like there was a NASCAR in front of you at the beginning? I was on track with one of those before, it was loudest thing I can remember (save perhaps the Blue Angels).

That track w/ the infield transition kinda reminds me of our local NASCAR track, Pocono. Our infield transition is much worse though (practically went airborne on rebound in an instructor's stock E46 M3). It doesn't look like the smoothest track out there either, judging by the camera movement. I love the palm trees along the straight though. (Perhaps I'm overly jealous of your warm weather).
No build thread, but do have some pictures on random posts somewhere. Yup, there was a couple NASCARs actually, loud, annoying and not very well driven. According to some of the senior instructors, they belong to the same person, lots of money and unwilling to listen.

The track is fairly smooth, except for Turn 1 and Turn 10 (both infield transition turns), movement is just do to breaking or being mounted outside I think.

Thanks for the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
There's a track here in Texas where you transition up onto the oval for a section like that too, and you have to manage your line and really be ready for the jolt because it will send you sideways in a hurry.

Cool car, I like the front/rear cams. Where is your mic mounted? Thats an external right?
Yea, Turn 10 at this track is famous for eating cars on the inside, huge transition from banking to infield. Some drivers get scare and lift (big mistake). I try to get the car settle right before the turn then get back on the throttle. I have gone off twice there, but never because of a spin, just carrying speed but plenty of space to the right (outside) to run off. Turn 10 is the one on the back straight with all the palm trees.

Yup, external mic (that's the cable that's right in front of the camera, you can see it in the video), routed on the inside panels to the trunk, have taped right by the rear brake lights inside the trunk. Need to do something about the wind gusts though (no back seats) there's a small thumping from the wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Spec Dan View Post
i agree, looks like there was a NASCAR in front of you. i enjoyed watching you go through the course in your E82.
Thanks!
      03-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yandy View Post
Running stockish boost the second day, because the first day was essentially a throw away, troubleshooting a 30FF (Underboost) condition. Finally found the issue, Forge diverter valve hose (connecting to charge pipe) had a micro-crack that opened up on the back side. Hard to find, fixed it after the fist day, but decided to run stockish boost to not force things.
Yandy, have you upgraded your all vaccum lines to high quality silicone lines? I replaced about 11ft in mine, and it made a huge difference. I'll be at the track for my first event of the year on Friday. I'm going to be trying a few things out to prevent these 30FE/30FF codes. Hopefully, she can stay trouble free for at least 2 seconds, so I can get a good time.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
Yandy, have you upgraded your all vaccum lines to high quality silicone lines? I replaced about 11ft in mine, and it made a huge difference. I'll be at the track for my first event of the year on Friday. I'm going to be trying a few things out to prevent these 30FE/30FF codes. Hopefully, she can stay trouble free for at least 2 seconds, so I can get a good time.
I have not upgraded the lines, my concern is that I may have damaged something else in the process of finding the cracked DV hose. Boosting it and forcing things to work harder than they should be. Hopefully I can get this all squared away soon.

Good luck on your track day, and look forward to reading and seeing some videos if you're filming.
      03-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #8
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

Quote:
I have not upgraded the lines, my concern is that I may have damaged something else in the process of finding the cracked DV hose. Boosting it and forcing things to work harder than they should be. Hopefully I can get this all squared away soon.

Good luck on your track day, and look forward to reading and seeing some videos if you're filming.
Thanks Yandy. I'll be filming it, and will post videos. You should upgrade all those lines. I recently did it, with 11ft of hoses, and it made a very noticeable difference. Here is the link to the Mr. 5 thread on it. Got the lines from veracious motosports:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415231
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Think I found the other reason for my under-boost during my last track day. Two things at the same time, kinda weird, but guess these are tings to check for. Pipe/coupler from IC outlet into the pipe connecting the IC and charge-pipe (yes, it's beat down as well).

Also, new garage toy, it was free and it works

04-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #10
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
For anyone curious, then new coupler solved the second part of the problem. But, it had been a while, so I replaced all three couplers with new ones ( with THESE ). They also have different ones, I just got them red, because racecar .. lol (HERE). Also replaced all t-bolt clamps (source locally) with new ones, can't really hurt. Washed out the IC, Charge-pipe, DV's all that good stuff. Hopefully I should be good for a while now.
      04-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
SneakyDeeky
driver mod in progress
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both feet

Garage List
2015 VW Golf R  [5.50]
2014 Audi SQ5  [10.00]
Quote:
For anyone curious, then new coupler solved the second part of the problem. But, it had been a while, so I replaced all three couplers with new ones ( with THESE ). They also have different ones, I just got them red, because racecar .. lol (HERE). Also replaced all t-bolt clamps (source locally) with new ones, can't really hurt. Washed out the IC, Charge-pipe, DV's all that good stuff. Hopefully I should be good for a while now.
Glad you were able to identify the issue. Thanks for sharing the link to the couplers - good resource for future reference.

As for your car and track build, what kind of front fenders, hood, and sideskirts are those? Car looks great and I bet is a blast on the track. I've been toying with the idea of picking up a used 135i as a track toy. I'd definitely go with those Apex wheels too.

Thanks for sharing the video.
      04-10-2013, 10:03 PM   #12
Razodo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Yandy, how is the bms oil thermostat working for you at the track? Would you recommend it? I have stock oil cooler.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0