E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Hurricane Sandy - Got my car back from insurance

01-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #89
kfriceman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 xDrive E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envuks View Post
My $.02 here. It sounds like they are making you whole. Get the car fixed, if you don't want it after it's fixed, sell it.

If you change your mind, keep it. It is the insurance company's beef with the car storage place now. I know you're mad, but it's no longer your issue.

Get every little dent and scratch fixed. Make the car look and function perfectly.

Release the anger and let it go because at the ed of the day you're getting taken care of. Yes, it's a horrible thing to go through. No, it shouldn't have happened and is inexcusable. However, insurance will take up the issue with the storage place and they are covering you.

Just be sure the car gets fixed back to tip top shape and keep the pressure on your insurance company if it does not.

No need for you to go after the storage place for revenge. That's only going to end badly for you.
+1

The insurance company is correcting the problem...let them do that. If the repair is not to your expectations then may be its time to get others involved.

Relax and and do nothing...that means let the isurance take this issue soup-to-nuts....do not touch that car for anything.

-Kevin
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #90
lorinser
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 black/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfriceman View Post
+1

The insurance company is correcting the problem...let them do that. If the repair is not to your expectations then may be its time to get others involved.

Relax and and do nothing...that means let the isurance take this issue soup-to-nuts....do not touch that car for anything.

-Kevin
Agreed, I think this is the step I will be taking. It blows and this is really annoying, but I feel like my best bet is to get the car in 110% condition compared to what it was when I gave it to them. Now all I need to do is somehow tell my dealer fix the car up brand new and charge it to them. The detail will also be paid for. Just use BMW to do it?

I will also contact my lawyer for advice. No loss in that.
Until then. Car sits on driveway, looking like a heaping pile of elephant crap.

Last edited by lorinser; 01-08-2013 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #91
harkirath
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e90

I would definitely call a lawyer before you do anything with the car. At least get stuff legally documented in case you wish to proceed with that route down the road.

Also, I would get the local news involved. You have a story and it will put pressure on everyone involved to get this handled in a proper, and timely, manner.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #92
AWil335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Get the "before" documentation. I would take the car myself to my service advisor and explain the situation. Have a thorough inspection done and get an estimate for all repairs, plus detailing but don't have any work done. Once you are satisfied with how the repairs will be done, your claims guy can work directly with the dealer. If they refuse any of the work, you need a lawyer. I would also discuss compensation for the loss of value depending on the severity of the repairs.

The media excel in making these things happen quickly without argument.

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #93
Anon007
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

+1 on talking to local news and putting the company on blast.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #94
lorinser
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 black/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDCarton View Post
+1 on talking to local news and putting the company on blast.

I emailed my local newspaper, i hope they respond.

Also talked to my lawyer. He basically said the best thing that can happen is that i get my car back better than it was when i gave it to them.

I received the estimate from the field rep. It comes to about $3k. Oh, plus $1k deductible! That's there for now, and "should" go away if all works out.

Obviously only an estimate, BMW dealer will give the real $. I hope they just make it look brand new and charge them. I want to make insurance bring the car to the dealer, ie deal with my dealer and not use me as middleman, but at the same time, i kind of want to deal with BMW myself, kind of explain my story, and then leave it up to insurance with the bill.

We'll see where this goes. Balls are in motion. Obviously going to be a lengthy process
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #95
Anon007
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorinser View Post
I emailed my local newspaper, i hope they respond.

Also talked to my lawyer. He basically said the best thing that can happen is that i get my car back better than it was when i gave it to them.

I received the estimate from the field rep. It comes to about $3k. Oh, plus $1k deductible! That's there for now, and "should" go away if all works out.

Obviously only an estimate, BMW dealer will give the real $. I hope they just make it look brand new and charge them. I want to make insurance bring the car to the dealer, ie deal with my dealer and not use me as middleman, but at the same time, i kind of want to deal with BMW myself, kind of explain my story, and then leave it up to insurance with the bill.

We'll see where this goes. Balls are in motion. Obviously going to be a lengthy process
Good job on contacting local news and lawyer. I agree with you part that you too want to be in contact with BMW, knowing their going to do everything to make your car perfect again, and not have the insurance company pick and choose what to do. Let us know what goes on with the local news, I would be surprised if they do not issue it. Anyways good luck with everything and know no one would of expected this to be the turn out of you just wanting to play it safe and let insurance double check the car after the hurricane. But its like the old saying goes: if it ain't broke don't fix it
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #96
harkirath
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e90

As long as insurance is on board with a fix, it is best if you get it done yourself from the dealer. For all that is missing, broken, or needs to be refixed, a $3k estimate by the insurance company seems really low.

Although, I'm sure some body shop would be able to do it for $3k, the dealer would charge a lot more and be a lot more thorough with your car.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #97
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90_boostjunky View Post
Woww, everyone is in the same boat.
      01-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #98
Popsrcr
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

I do hope they are giving you a rental. Having a lawyer informed is a good move and hurts nothing. It sounds like you are on a good track.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #99
bmodzelewski
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

why do you have to pick up the $1000 deductible? even if this doesnt work out between copart and the ins co. you shouldnt be paying a deductible for this... they should be covering the deductible for all the shit youre going through
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #100
hellomyBMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6 50i

Garage List
wow... what insurance company is this..?!
Definitely hire a lawyer and time for some justice.
I would flip if I was in your shoes... sorry about your car man...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #101
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

That looks like a lot more than $3000 in damage to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #102
sammk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Coupe

In situations like this, you need the dealer or body shop to be your ally.. Get your car to them and have them prepare a detailed independent estimate to your specs. Make sure you include all the repairs/parts needed to get that car to its pre-incident shape. You might see a pattern where the field rep may have used aftermarket or 'OEM-like' parts to come up with a lower estimate. It's true that they put that clause in your contract, but since this was not your fault, you have some grounds to request exact replacements. If there's a difference between your independent estimate and the field rep's, you'll need to demonstrate to his with your shop supporting you why the higher charge is required to get the car 'whole'.

Basically, it may not feel good for the moment, but getting your car whole at zero cost to you is the best that can happen, as everyone has said. If I were you, I would get it to that point where it is mechanically and cosmetically the same as when they took the car from you.

If you don't feel the same about the car after everything is said and done, you can consider selling it or something..
      01-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #103
SmoothStyle1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i, 6MT

I think the real story here is that the car was seriously damaged in the hurricane and the owner had Encompass Insurance pick up the car to assess the damage and possibly auction it off with Copart Auctions but it didn't sell b/c it was too badly damaged and was delivered back to him as per the initial pics.

Otherwise the story literally makes no sense.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #104
bling_singh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Garage List
2019 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Let the dealer know you were advised the car may have been lifted and moved around by forklift truck, and to thoroughly inspect suspension and drivetrain parts. Get someone other than the dealer to detail your car, to a showroom finish.

Horrible situation, hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction.
      01-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #105
BMWSOZE
Smooth Operator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothStyle1 View Post
I think the real story here is that the car was seriously damaged in the hurricane and the owner had Encompass Insurance pick up the car to assess the damage and possibly auction it off with Copart Auctions but it didn't sell b/c it was too badly damaged and was delivered back to him as per the initial pics.

Seems quite viable ....
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #106
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:

I was just thinking the same. If there was no damage to the car from the storm, why would anyone have their insurance company take their car and inspect it for damage. It seems to me a BMW shop would be a better place to have the car inspected for damage than a storage lot.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #107
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BLACK e90 335i

Quote:

The car was not put up for sale by copart. I know because I look everyday and I buy regularly from them. I would have seen it. And if it was, dismantlers would have picked up the car fast. I've seen cars with worse damage like OP's go for 12k with salvaged titles.

Looks like the insurance company sent the car to Copart by mistake. After a while the insurance company probably realized that the car was not a total loss (unlike most of the cars in OP's area) And took the car back, meanwhile telling op that Copart was holding it for storage. But the damage was already done at Copart, hence OP's getting his car back in sh*tty condition.

But that's just my theory, and the only thing that would make sense to me. That car had no business being at Copart, unless it was totalled.

Last edited by Turb0Surge; 01-09-2013 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #108
BMWSOZE
Smooth Operator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turb0Surge View Post

But that's just my theory, and the only thing that would make sense to me.
This story makes less sense the more I read about it...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #109
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BLACK e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSOZE View Post
This story makes less sense the more I read about it...
Tell me about it... lol
      01-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #110
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Lol. 3k. I brand new CIC module cost over 2K and there's alot more that needs to be done
Appreciate 0