E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Wedding Reading - Can Anyone Advise??

08-23-2010, 12:10 PM   #1
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
Wedding Reading - Can Anyone Advise??

My sister is getting married in a few weeks time and she has asked me to do a reading in the church.

She has suggested I Corinthians 13 - but something about it doesnt quite seem right. Im not religious and dont attend church regularly, apart from when my 3yr old daughter has nativities etc, so ive no idea what im looking for.

I just wondered if anyone could suggest/recommend a suitable and appropriate reading for me?

Any help much appreciated.

Steve
      08-23-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
It depends which version of the Bible you read.

A modern English version is definitely strange, even bolloxing up the "when I was a child" verse quite badly.

King James version has probably the best flow of language and won't feel so awkward, after all, your sister is just saying that love is everything.

Edit: This is a very popular passage from the bible for weddings (but also funerals?!) but is substantially changed from New World Bible type translations as it says charity, not love, so every time the new version says love, the old version says charity - which sounds better in the context of the rest of the words than using love. Charity in this context is not the modern version but is the charity you have for people, situations, rather than the act of giving itself.

Using the old version but substituting "love" for "charity" may be an improvement except at the end: "And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity." These lines we have all heard in one context or another, the new versions use of love instead of charity totally screws that up.

Last edited by AlanQS; 08-23-2010 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks Alan - very informative - and yes, it is the referral to "love" all the time that makes me feel a little uncomfortable in the fact that im reading to my sister (if that makes sense) - im not saying i dont love my sister, obviously, but i dont want it to come across in a weird way!!!!

Are there any other readings that could be suitable??
      08-23-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
If you're not religious - why read a religious passage?

What about putting something together yourself or a passage from a book etc?
      08-23-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
i would just show them a vid of what you do for a living, would be a good talking point for years to come
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
King James version
1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

One of the modern versions
1 If I speak with the languages of men and of angels, but don’t have love, I have become sounding brass, or a clanging cymbal.
2 If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but don’t have love, I am nothing.
3 If I dole out all my goods to feed the poor, and if I give my body to be burned, but don’t have love, it profits me nothing.
4 Love is patient and is kind; love doesn’t envy. Love doesn’t brag, is not proud,
5 doesn’t behave itself inappropriately, doesn’t seek its own way, is not provoked, takes no account of evil;
6 doesn’t rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth;
7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will be done away with. Where there are various languages, they will cease. Where there is knowledge, it will be done away with.
9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part;
10 but when that which is complete has come, then that which is partial will be done away with.
11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I felt as a child, I thought as a child. Now that I have become a man, I have put away childish things.
12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I will know fully, even as I was also fully known.
13 But now faith, hope, and love remain, these three. The greatest of these is love.

Actually, reading the real thing (the first one) out in a Church will sound quite cool, but not the second version (which also changes the meaning intended in the first version.)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbirch View Post
i would just show them a vid of what you do for a living, would be a good talking point for years to come
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #8
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

Have a look at these Steve:

What of Marriage from The Prophet - Khalil Gibran ( although this is from The Koran, so probably should mention it to the Vicar!)

'Maybe' - Author Unknown (google Maybe wedding reading)

On Love - Thomas Kempis
      08-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by - Paul - View Post
If you're not religious - why read a religious passage?
+1

I hate religion its a load of bollox. We had a non religious wedding ceremony and both our children had 'naming' ceremonies not chrsitenings. THese concentrated on celebrating our love for our children, and were wonderful days.

IMO you should make up a poem or short passage of text about love, life, family and freindship and it'd mean a lot more than just reading an outdated pack of lies.

just my opinion of course Stevie boy.

and please before all you religious types get offended and my atheist views dont bother it isnt worth it.
      08-23-2010, 02:50 PM   #10
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
+1 James Birch and the video!
      08-23-2010, 03:21 PM   #11
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Hey Steve,

I've almost made a living out of being peoples Best Man etc (not being a dick about it - honest) so I have read a lot of verses (religious and not) at weddings and done many speeches and I have one, overarching view.

Irrespective of whether I am at a Christian wedding, a Sikh one, a Church one or in a Registry Office - I consider every time I am asked to take part in someones (hopefully) most memorable day very seriously.

It's not for me to impose MY religious views on them, but for them to invite me to participate in theirs. I'm non religious and lord knows (hehe) most people who have met me here know I am about as offensive as a used jonny stuck to your shoe, but Wedding's need to be done right....

So, here is what I have to ask you mate - is your sister religious? Does she WANT a religious reading or does she just want you to be there and to participate because she loves you and wants to make you part of the celebration?

If the first, then Alan is prob the best man to be helping you as he clearly knows things I don't, but I would say this - DO read the religious verse and do it seriously and as she would want it. Give it 100% for her mate.

On the other hand, if she just wants you there, then you have some freedom to do as you like and I promise you this - she will thank you all the more for making it your own. Some of the most popular readings I've done were ones I wrote myself, whilst others were exceptionally fitting love poems or stories I had read or searched online for.

If this is the case mate then PM me some details and I will gladly help you out if I can!!

Regards
Matt
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 06:17 PM   #12
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Actually, before we jump into exploring other types of words to say, I got the impression that, since a religious passage from the Bible is usually read sometime in a service, Steve's sister wants Steve to read it and has chosen Corinthian's as the passage.

If this is correct, then Steve doesn't really have any issues; he reads the chosen passage - though I'd go for the original version and not the New English gobbly-gook.

If, on the other hand, Steve has been asked to say whatever he wants and Corinthian's was just a suggestion, then the debate must continue.

As an aside, whilst I consider the Bible to be one of the great works of man, I'm a bleedin' hearted atheist but would have no problem reading whatever was wanted at someone else's wedding.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 09:34 PM   #13
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbirch View Post
I was thinking something on the line of reading from the script of your latest film but there probably isn't much dialogue.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 01:40 AM   #14
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
Actually, before we jump into exploring other types of words to say, I got the impression that, since a religious passage from the Bible is usually read sometime in a service, Steve's sister wants Steve to read it and has chosen Corinthian's as the passage.

If this is correct, then Steve doesn't really have any issues; he reads the chosen passage - though I'd go for the original version and not the New English gobbly-gook.

If, on the other hand, Steve has been asked to say whatever he wants and Corinthian's was just a suggestion, then the debate must continue.

As an aside, whilst I consider the Bible to be one of the great works of man, I'm a bleedin' hearted atheist but would have no problem reading whatever was wanted at someone else's wedding.
Copycat!!!!!!!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 02:55 AM   #15
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the suggestions and advice chaps (well some of you!) - Matt and Alan have given me some things to think about. I am not religious but i wouldnt say im an atheist - im happy to read a religious reading as my sister is fairly religious herself - but equally she did say she would be more than happy for me to read something non-religious etc. Anyway, thanks again guys - and thanks for the very kind offer Matt.
      08-24-2010, 09:25 AM   #16
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
happy to help steve i know my way is the way to go,all the other posts takes ages to read so i skipped them
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 01:59 PM   #17
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

having just read these 2 verses from corinthians 13 below;

1If I speak in the tongues[a] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[b] but have not love, I gain nothing.
4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

i retract my ramblings over biblical texts etc, as these are both very nice verses.
      08-24-2010, 02:05 PM   #18
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
having just read these 2 verses from corinthians 13 below;

1If I speak in the tongues[a] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[b] but have not love, I gain nothing.
4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

i retract my ramblings over biblical texts etc, as these are both very nice verses.
Steve, your talent is Gods gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.

Amen
      08-24-2010, 02:16 PM   #19
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Steve, your talent is Gods gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.

Amen
Its a nice sentence will but i dont believe in GOD, we were a complete accident and god as is described in the bible imo does not exist. but its not a conversation for a car forum.
      08-24-2010, 02:19 PM   #20
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
Its a nice sentence will but i dont believe in GOD, we were a complete accident and god as is described in the bible imo does not exist. but its not a conversation for a car forum.

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths.
      08-24-2010, 02:25 PM   #21
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths.

no no no.

"oh weak willed out there, its ok to pretend that death isnt final, lets make up this imaginary creation figure and a brainwash the world"

religion is power and control of the masses, science is the truth.
      08-24-2010, 02:30 PM   #22
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

I think "What Would E90Post Do?" has a good ring to it, and collectively we put most problems to bed pretty quickly...