E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > Changed my plugs at 33k... never again. Lots of pics.

07-09-2014, 11:51 AM   #23
Zach1328
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i / 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceyBMW View Post
Alfred is getting the same thing as you I think....no code limps and stuttering. Yeah, throwing parts at the problem sucks, but in a lot of cases that what others ended up doing. Coils do go bad in these cars. Could also be vanos solenoids, though you will usually get a code with those (I have to replace mine).
I'm having a similar issue. I've been getting the SES light instead of CE and stuttering/rough idling after going WOT at high load. Goes into limp mode temporarily but once I stop & go the SES goes away and everything is back to normal.

Took me a while but I finally pulled the code which was Cylinder 1 misfire. I made the mistake of taking the car apart before getting a thin-walled spark plug socket, so while I was in there I swapped coil pack 1 & 2.
Went back out to pull the codes again and still got cylinder 1 misfire.

My original guess was spark plugs, coils, or injectors. Now that I've eliminated the coil it must either be plugs or injectors.
Based on my symptoms I'm thinking it must be spark plugs because the stuttering and rough idle is likely caused by extra fuel in the cylinder which wasn't burned due to a weak spark. Once its all burned up after a minute (or my next stop & go) its all good again. If it were injectors the cylinder would likely be misfiring due to a lack of fuel which would present different symptoms.

Spark plug socket should be here Thursday then I can finally see the true potential of the Jb4 and DCI's! Can't wait!

Easiest way to eliminate parts before buying is by swapping them around after pulling codes. For example, if you get cyl. 1 misfire swap the #1 and 2 coils. If you still get cyl. 1 it can't be coils so move on to plugs. Switch plug 1 with 2 - if its still cylinder 1 misfire then swap injector 1 with #2.
Eventually the problem will move to the new cylinder you switched the part to and that will be the culprit.
Mods: JB4 + MHD BEF, RB Twos Plus, Phoenix PI Manifold, Dual Walbro 450 LPFP's, DCI, VRSF DP's, VRSF 7.5" FMIC, VRSF CP + TiAL BOV, VRSF inlets & aluminum outlets, TC Kline SA, M3 F/R control arms, M3 subframe bushings

Last edited by Zach1328; 07-09-2014 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #24
chepy24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 alpine white 335i xdrive

just did mine last week piece of cake! even my girl who was keeping me company said "thats it?" haha the bms tool comes in handy makes it that much easier i wouldnt recommend anyone paying for this service too easy IMO
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 01:11 PM   #25
raceyBMW
king of the hills
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 w/ESS55, 2001 540i/6

Garage List
2001 BMW 540i/6  [8.17]
1994 530i  [9.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [8.37]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach1328 View Post
I'm having a similar issue. I've been getting the SES light instead of CE and stuttering/rough idling after going WOT at high load. Goes into limp mode temporarily but once I stop & go the SES goes away and everything is back to normal.

Took me a while but I finally pulled the code which was Cylinder 1 misfire. I made the mistake of taking the car apart before getting a thin-walled spark plug socket, so while I was in there I swapped coil pack 1 & 2.
Went back out to pull the codes again and still got cylinder 1 misfire.

My original guess was spark plugs, coils, or injectors. Now that I've eliminated the coil it must either be plugs or injectors.
Based on my symptoms I'm thinking it must be spark plugs because the stuttering and rough idle is likely caused by extra fuel in the cylinder which wasn't burned due to a weak spark. Once its all burned up after a minute (or my next stop & go) its all good again. If it were injectors the cylinder would likely be misfiring due to a lack of fuel which would present different symptoms.

Spark plug socket should be here Thursday then I can finally see the true potential of the Jb4 and DCI's! Can't wait!

Easiest way to eliminate parts before buying is by swapping them around after pulling codes. For example, if you get cyl. 1 misfire swap the #1 and 2 coils. If you still get cyl. 1 it can't be coils so move on to plugs. Switch plug 1 with 2 - if its still cylinder 1 misfire then swap injector 1 with #2.
Eventually the problem will move to the new cylinder you switched the part to and that will be the culprit.
I agree with the swapping if you are getting codes, a lot easier to track where the code goes if you are....but Alex (and Alfred) aren't getting codes, which makes it much more of a pain.

BTW, if your problem isn't solved by the plug or injector, it could possibly also be carbon build-up.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #26
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 n54 e92xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
Quote:
Originally Posted by raceyBMW View Post
I agree with the swapping if you are getting codes, a lot easier to track where the code goes if you are....but Alex (and Alfred) aren't getting codes, which makes it much more of a pain.

BTW, if your problem isn't solved by the plug or injector, it could possibly also be carbon build-up.
Agreed. I almost wish I was getting a misfire code.

I did get three codes the other day (two at once) but they ~seem~ to be completely unrelated. They are:
  1. 2C32 Lambda probe in front of cat 2, trimming control
  2. 2C3E Lambda probe in front of catalytic converter 2, control failure or cable transmission failure
  3. 2EE3 Coolant temp sensor, plausibilty

These are the only 3 codes stored in the DME. I can't imagine getting a limp from any of those three, maybe the last one is an issue ('cause I only get a limp if the engine is up to temperature).

Commuted home from work on I-25 already today, I got the damned limp mode again. "Rebooted" the machine at 60 mph () and limp was gone. I will replace the coolant temp sensor 1st and go from there, 2nd the CAT sensors, and finally 3rd Proceed goes bye-bye.
      07-22-2014, 04:46 PM   #27
rbaldwin28
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Sport Prem. White

Garage List
2007 335I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleckzandr View Post
I suppose I should replace coils next (they are fairly cheap), but I don't like shooting from the hip. The fact that I get a no code limp mode I'd dump the car if this happened when I was going WOT frequently, i.e. @ track, but that hasn't ever happened. In fact, the car runs really well at the track and my butt dyno says that the car is really happy for like a week or two after a track warrior day or weekend.
If the coil is going bad you should see misfire codes in the corresponding cylinder. Then swap the bad with a good one to see if the code moves to the new cylinder. Dont waste money on coils if you are not seeing misfire codes.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 08:22 AM   #28
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 n54 e92xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
Found this gem of a thread last night and it describes my problems to the 'T'.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=726481&page=2

I already ordered a walnut blast wand and intake adapter last week and should be receiving those this week. Already upgraded my air compressor and will be picking up a media blasting kit from Harbor Freight on my home from work today. Gonna get this sh!t done. So sick of a 80% car.