E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > HELP with ABS / Brake / Tire warning after strut DIY

08-20-2014, 04:23 PM   #1
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
HELP with ABS / Brake / Tire warning after strut DIY

okay add this to my list of DIY f**k-ups.

Just finished a strut / front spring changeout. Put everything back together, started car, got the ABS / Briake / DSC / Tire monitor lights on.

I did have to wrestle with my front driver side wheel carrier after the strut broke free from its clamp, so I guessing I've damaged the sensor on that side or something else?

Can anyone provide guidance on how to diagnose? I can read DME codes but don't know of where to read other codes besides going into a repair shop, which I wouldn't mind avoiding if possible.

I'm thinking "go buy a sensor" and replace the most suspect side and go from there. Anything else I should consider?

Thanks for any help / advice.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 11:51 PM   #2
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

You probably damaged the ABS sensor wire, it only takes 2 seconds to unplug it, live and learn.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 07:48 AM   #3
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by index1489 View Post
You probably damaged the ABS sensor wire, it only takes 2 seconds to unplug it, live and learn.
yep live and learn is right They actually were "unplugged" from the bracket, but perhaps too much tension when the strut came loose and the steering knuckle swayed free. Should have supported the steering knuckle better.

hoping it's that simple, guessing replacing the sensor means replacing the wires as well? I found a DIY on Pelican Parts website, will know more and hopefully be on my way to a fix in a few days.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 07:08 PM   #4
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

New sensor comes with the wire it connects to a black box in the fender, you flip the box open unplug it.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #5
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by index1489
New sensor comes with the wire it connects to a black box in the fender, you flip the box open unplug it.
Thank you!

I managed to read the codes and it's the side I was concerned about.

Do you know...If the new sensor is installed correctly, do warning lights and codes clear themselves or do I need to have them cleared or disconnect battery or some other action?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 07:45 PM   #6
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

You have to have them cleared, when I installed my struts, I left my key in the ignition to release my steering wheel lock (so I can rotate the wheels during install) and unplugged the sensor, it immediately threw ABS warning among a bunch others, I just plugged in and cleared all my codes after plugging the wire back in and was good to go.

And I believe your going to need a BMW specific scanner to go this, a generic code reader won't clear airbag/ABS codes, unless it specifically states so and these are usually 2-3x more expensive.

You can try unplugging the battery and driving the car, it might self clear all the dash warnings, but the codes will still be stored.

And note when I say disconnect the sensor in the future, do it from the black box, don't actually unbolt the sensor from the wheel bearing and pull it out.

Last edited by RemovedUser; 08-21-2014 at 07:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 02:28 PM   #7
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by index1489 View Post
You have to have them cleared, when I installed my struts, I left my key in the ignition to release my steering wheel lock (so I can rotate the wheels during install) and unplugged the sensor, it immediately threw ABS warning among a bunch others, I just plugged in and cleared all my codes after plugging the wire back in and was good to go.

And I believe your going to need a BMW specific scanner to go this, a generic code reader won't clear airbag/ABS codes, unless it specifically states so and these are usually 2-3x more expensive.

You can try unplugging the battery and driving the car, it might self clear all the dash warnings, but the codes will still be stored.

And note when I say disconnect the sensor in the future, do it from the black box, don't actually unbolt the sensor from the wheel bearing and pull it out.
thank you for everything.

Sensor arrived from Amazon today, will install tomorrow. Hopefully I can clear the dash per battery unplug and then clear the codes at an opportune time.

...and thanks for clarifying the "unplug"... I only unplugged from the bracket that holds the cable.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 09:00 PM   #8
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Garage List
In spite of installing new sensor and clearing codes, problem remains and codes return.

Acquired a new sensor. Installed on the right front side (passenger side), based on the codes below. Codes were read using app BMWhat. There are no other ABS related codes coming up.

ABS / DSC / Brake:
Dynamische Stabilitaets Kontrolle / DSC
Fehler: right front direction detection / Exhaust valve VR / Outlet valve / Drivers TC shorted (ISO 1)
Code: 5DA6
Fehler: Speed Sensor Front Right / Intake valve / Inlet valve VR / Drivers inlet valve (ISO) shorted rear right
Code: 5DA1

After installing the sensor and test driving, warning lights would temporarily dissappear but then re-appear and stay on. Turn engine off, same thing. Warning lights would temporarily dissappear and then reappear.

Then I used the BMWhat app to clear the codes. Using the clearing process, the warning lights would dissappear before my eyes. Seemed promising, but after driving a couple tenths of a mile, warning lights reappear and a re-scan revealed the codes have returned as well.

Question for anyone out there:

When codes refer to the "right" side, are we talking about the passenger side? It's a little confusing as it also refers to "Drivers TC shorted" and "Drivers inlet valve shorted"

Anyway, if anyone has any insight on the codes and any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 09:37 PM   #9
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Yea thats confusing, check the condition of the wiring on the driver side
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 05:03 PM   #10
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Garage List
So....live and learn Part 2

Thought it might be a good idea to switch the new sensor installed on the passenger to the driver side (swap them). Low and behold, the codes followed the new sensor...so hopefully this is moving to a happy ending. Returning the new part which was oem (websites everywhere says it fits my car, except some like "getbmwparts" lol) and replacing it with a Genuine.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 12:08 AM   #11
chasetindank
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Hey so can anyone tell me what this black box is called that the abs wire connects to? can’t find it to replace it
Appreciate 0