E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > music question

06-16-2007, 03:20 PM   #1
beemah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman S

music question

how do i burn tracks purchased from itunes to mp3 cd to play in the car?

gives me protected messages

i dont have the usb cable for the car and ipod and would like to see it in the idrive
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 05:16 PM   #2
drkeng
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M4 'vert Tanz Blue

Burn the purchased songs to a regular audio CD; you can do this up to about 5 or 7 times per song. It's actually a good way to back up your songs anyway in case your computer crashes. Then convert the songs from the audio CD to mp3. Then burn the mp3 disc for the car.

What software are you using for burning the mp3 disc? I've made 2 mp3 discs, but am having a problem with the "tagging" process. I can't see the song name on i-drive. Last disc, using a free trial of acoustica just gave me song labels like "001 The"; just the first few letters of the song. Frustrating.
I'd gladly spring some $$ for a usable program that would allow me to see the song and artist. It'd probably suffice; I could have a few discs that were the equivalent of playlists and I wouldn't have to get the dealer ipod interface, which sounds kind of slow anyway.
      06-16-2007, 08:35 PM   #3
beemah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman S

thanks, i used windows media player once and all the songs showed up on i drive

the issue is, if you want the naming convention to be consistent, u have to go and rename the songs ion the folder in your document, a good excercise to keep it consistent

anyways, i think i will have to switch away from itunes

usually burn mp3's with media player

now i have itunes too

which is a good store like itunes but for windows media player?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
drkeng
Major
Rep

I have a bunch of songs, but they're all WMA files, not mp3. Anyone know if I can convert them to mp3? Or do I have to re-rip them from the original CD's and specify convert to mp3?
      06-22-2007, 10:11 PM   #5
drkeng
Major
Rep

just downloaded a program called "switch" that converts between multiple music formats (wma, aac, mp3). still trying to figure out the tagging thing. my latest attempt put the songs in order (at least in the car) by what number they were on the cd and then alphabetical. I tried to group them by artist . I'm still working on understanding the tag thing. Found a thread here that said our cars would actually play wma files, so I removed the numbers from them and burned a disc. will try to play it tomorrow.