E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Some Questions about a 330d quote I got.

09-28-2009, 04:37 PM   #23
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickleback View Post
I'd wait & buy a used 335D 4/6 months old & save some dosh for re-map & mods etc
I think you could be right TBH. Just might take some time to find the spec I want....
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 05:24 PM   #24
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanziBarn View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

So, this 6LF jobby, will this allow me to play from memory key AND control an IPOD?

To be clear, if I don't spec 6LF I will only be able to put music onto the HDD via a music CD where as with 6LF I can transfer mp3s direct to the cars HDD? There seems to be some conflicting views on this.

Wasn't massivly impressed with the manual in the 330 but wouldn't spec it simply to get more performance, economy and to make a saving. So, the auto in the 335 wouldn't be an issue if it was the car I prefered.

Are there any other must have options? Is DAB a mistake? What is the reception like?

The Pro Nav setup and media stuff on the LCI includes a glovebox USB port to upload music and nav routes.

6FL is the centre console USB and stereo input that allows the playing of MP3s directly from either a USB stick or an iPod with appropriate BMW cable. 6FL allows full control and browsing via iDrive. Navigate through the tracks, playlists, genres, artists etc.

Not an LCI, but the principle of 6FL remains the same:

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 01:28 AM   #25
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Good stuff

Sorry, newbie question. What't LCI?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 01:42 AM   #26
Jinxy
Private
England
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Good stuff

Sorry, newbie question. What't LCI?
LCI=Life Cycle Impulse or as everybody else knows it a Facelift just BMWs term for it
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 02:21 AM   #27
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Ah! The old Life Cycle Impulse, should have known

Out of those of you who have an LCI, how many actually use the built in HDD for music? Looking how good the 6FL is, I'd imagine sticking a big capacity IPOD in the car is a better solution?

Just to clarify what speakers you get with what upgrade, I got hold of the below. I presume the "two large bass speakers" are the Subs under the seats, so it looks like even the business upgrade gets them

Business Upgrade £380.00

10 Speakers - 3 way system.

4 midrange Speakers

4 tweeters

2 Large Bass speakers

Upgraded Amplifier

Logic 7 Professional Upgrade. £805.00

13 Speakers

2 High power Bass Speakers

6 high power midrange speakers

4 High power tweeters

1 high power midrange speaker in centre of dash.

Selectable Surround sound function and equaliser.

Individual £1,405..00

825w power amplifier with 16 high performance speakers with neodym magnetic drives,

hexacone diaphragms and DIRAC signal processing, giving perfectly timed acoustic

experience in all seats.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 02:34 AM   #28
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies.

So, this 6LF jobby, will this allow me to play from memory key AND control an IPOD?

To be clear, if I don't spec 6LF I will only be able to put music onto the HDD via a music CD where as with 6LF I can transfer mp3s direct to the cars HDD? There seems to be some conflicting views on this.

Are there any other must have options? Is DAB a mistake? What is the reception like?

I'm 99.9% sure (having read my manual) that the HDD navs have the GLOVEBOX USB standard, but that is ONLY for uploading / backing up. YOU CANNOT stream / play music directly from a device on that socket.

The 6FL option is an ARMREST USB socket which can realtime read/play music from IPOD (with the BMW lead) or Mass Storage Devices (memory sticks, phones, Zen's etc etc. You CANNOT upload to the car from this socket, only play real time.

So you need both sockets (1 standard, 1 optional) to be able to

1. Upload tunes to the HDD
2. Backup tunes (and settings) from HDD
3. Play real time from a device (not loading to HDD, just streaming from device)

I don't do ipods, so I can't tell you which lead you'll need.

Personally DAB is GREAT! In a city you have so many stations and the reception is crystal clear. Sometimes it drops when out in the sticks, but you can set it to automatically change to the FM version of a station (if there is one).

I've attached a pdf of info about the USB devices and their compatability...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf bmw_usb_audio_information_2008_en.pdf (169.0 KB, 234 views)
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 03:24 AM   #29
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
I'm 99.9% sure (having read my manual) that the HDD navs have the GLOVEBOX USB standard, but that is ONLY for uploading / backing up. YOU CANNOT stream / play music directly from a device on that socket.

The 6FL option is an ARMREST USB socket which can realtime read/play music from IPOD (with the BMW lead) or Mass Storage Devices (memory sticks, phones, Zen's etc etc. You CANNOT upload to the car from this socket, only play real time.

So you need both sockets (1 standard, 1 optional) to be able to

1. Upload tunes to the HDD
2. Backup tunes (and settings) from HDD
3. Play real time from a device (not loading to HDD, just streaming from device)

I don't do ipods, so I can't tell you which lead you'll need.

Personally DAB is GREAT! In a city you have so many stations and the reception is crystal clear. Sometimes it drops when out in the sticks, but you can set it to automatically change to the FM version of a station (if there is one).

I've attached a pdf of info about the USB devices and their compatability...

Cracking info! Cheers!

I don't do IPODs either so I am interested to hear you say the 6FL does Zens etc. With a Zen or indeed a USB stick, is the song navigation done via Windows folder, or via MP3 Tags as per an IPOD?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 04:06 AM   #30
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Either, you can simply explore the folder structure (I keep all my mp3 in folders of artist / album so thats the best way for me) and the folder structure is immediately accessible on start up.

Or you can search by ID3 tags, but this can take a few minutes to index from start up so I don't use it.

Plus i'm not anal enough to correct all the ID3 errors you get on from the CDDB info online so the ID3 search is crap as even artists spelt in different case willl list separately i.e.

coldplay
Coldplay
COLDPLAY
Cold play

Crap.

And as for searching by genre 'rock' 'pop' 'dance' WTF?? That depends on the age of the person who is listening IMO. Sounds like demo mode on my old bontempi keyboard....
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 04:49 AM   #31
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

This system is sounded very good indeed!

I'm quite good with my Tags so thats great that it will index a Mass Storage device.

Does it have to index every time the car starts or, only when you connect the storage device? So, if I got a HDD based player and just left it in the arm rest would it remember the indexing?

What would happen if I stuck a USB portable HDD in there? Would it work with that? i.e. not an HDD based mp3 player, but just a stand alone HDD that can run from USB power.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 04:50 AM   #32
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Cracking info! Cheers!

I don't do IPODs either so I am interested to hear you say the 6FL does Zens etc. With a Zen or indeed a USB stick, is the song navigation done via Windows folder, or via MP3 Tags as per an IPOD?
With the USB sticks, you don't even need a cable, just straight into the armrest socket and you have full control of your music on the iDrive screen, including playlists.

I have a Lacie 60Gb mini hard disk in my armrest pouch
      09-29-2009, 04:52 AM   #33
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar2008 View Post

I have a Lacie 60Gb mini hard disk in my armrest pouch
Awesome!!! Exactly the ticket!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 05:41 AM   #34
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
I've been offered what I think is a good price on a New Manual 330d Msport:

£32,133.60 for a Black Msport, with Media Package - BMW Professional, DAB digital radio and Beige Dakota Leather.

I've got some questions though, maybe some of you can help?

1. The media package - I presume that this will come with a USB interface as standard or else, how would you get your music on the HDD?

2. If I went for an IPOD connection too, does this allow full control of the IPOD, or is it Playlists only?

3. How good is the standard sound system?

4. Should I go for the 335D instead? But at £35,602.90

Problem is, I have to decide by the end of the month or else the price goes up by £2k (some kind of BMW special offer). I've not yet driven a 335d either. I can't help thinking that I'd be better off waiting and getting a used 335d for about £30k in a few months time, albeit having to compromise on the spec a bit.

What do you guys think of the price? Is this too good to pass up?

Cheers guys!
1. The E90 has a usb in the glove compartment for uploading music to your cars hard drive. You can also rip music straight from a disc or CD. The optional 6FL Usb provides you with the option of connecting your Ipod to the car (you need to buy the BMW 'Y' cable for this to work properly for around £40) I have this in my car and it is fantastic- all songs,albums, artists etc are displayed in Ipod format on your Idrive screen and you scroll through using the controller, its very fast and i would 100% recommend it.

2. Full control- see above.

3. Not great. I have the Business Loudspeaker system and IMO it is well worth the exta £300 or so if youre into your music.

4. I would personally take a brand new 330d over a low specced 335d. When tuned the 330d is an extremely fast car and you also have the option of a manual box which you don't in the 335d. The deal youre being offered is very good. Another factor to consider is residuals: The 335d is currently losing more than my 335i per month (check Glass's guide) whereas residuals for the 330 are quite strong, factor in the good deal youre being offered and it makes a strong case for the 330d IMO. Also remember that the 330d is a new engine whereas the 335d has been with us for a few years and might be looking at an upgrade soon which would further dent residuals for the 'old' version.
Of course the 335d is a fantastic car but with the deal youre being offered i dont think the figures add up for that little bit of extra power.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 06:10 AM   #35
Dante
Enthusiast
Germany
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 / F31 330d

Garage List
Quote:
Out of those of you who have an LCI, how many actually use the built in HDD for music? Looking how good the 6FL is, I'd imagine sticking a big capacity IPOD in the car is a better solution?

Just to clarify what speakers you get with what upgrade, I got hold of the below. I presume the "two large bass speakers" are the Subs under the seats, so it looks like even the business upgrade gets them
Hi,

I posted this long ago, hence its pre-LCI. But hasn't changed much, me thinks:

What I know is for MY2010 BMW cancelled the rear tweeters on the business sound system.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 07:29 AM   #36
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa View Post
The Pro Nav setup and media stuff on the LCI includes a glovebox USB port to upload music and nav routes.

6FL is the centre console USB and stereo input that allows the playing of MP3s directly from either a USB stick or an iPod with appropriate BMW cable. 6FL allows full control and browsing via iDrive. Navigate through the tracks, playlists, genres, artists etc.

Not an LCI, but the principle of 6FL remains the same:
You have some strange music on your IPOD
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 07:42 AM   #37
steve-p
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 ActiveHybrid 5

Quote:
Individual £1,405..00

825w power amplifier with 16 high performance speakers with neodym magnetic drives,

hexacone diaphragms and DIRAC signal processing, giving perfectly timed acoustic

experience in all seats.
It's expensive, but I had it in mine and it's the best audio system I've ever heard in a car. A lot better than the 525 watt B&W stuff in my new car and way better than previous LOGIC-7 systems I've had.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 07:43 AM   #38
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
This system is sounded very good indeed!

I'm quite good with my Tags so thats great that it will index a Mass Storage device.

Does it have to index every time the car starts or, only when you connect the storage device? So, if I got a HDD based player and just left it in the arm rest would it remember the indexing?

What would happen if I stuck a USB portable HDD in there? Would it work with that? i.e. not an HDD based mp3 player, but just a stand alone HDD that can run from USB power.
If you read the pdf I attached in post 28 that will tell you about different drives. It says not to use USB HDD units, but I'm sure some will work, although there may be a limit on the power avaiable from the car USB port. I've got a 500GB WD minibook drive, might give that a go!

It does re-index everystart up. But I think its longest the first time, then it's checking for changes each subsequent time, so it's not as long.

My 64GB usb stick is too long to fit in the socket and shut the armrest lid as there's not much vertical room. But the car came with a 6" USB extension so you can just put the memory stick around the edge of the armrest compartment.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 08:35 AM   #39
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
If you read the pdf I attached in post 28 that will tell you about different drives. It says not to use USB HDD units, but I'm sure some will work, although there may be a limit on the power avaiable from the car USB port. I've got a 500GB WD minibook drive, might give that a go!
It's true they say that hard drives are not supported. Reading the forums, the hard drives that work are the ones with the lower spinning cycle. < 5400rpm is the speed to go for.

Something like this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LaCie-Skwari...4231146&sr=8-3

And here's one for your other half...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LaCie-Skwari...4231146&sr=8-1
      09-29-2009, 08:41 AM   #40
doughboy
Major General
Rep

very chic...

I bought the 64GB stick afew months back, even smaller than a HDD and takes up no room in the armrest, drop proof, bump proof, heat proof, damp proof...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Dat...4231654&sr=1-2

They even do a 64GB USB stick for £68 now!!! nearly £1 / gig!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Integral-Sil...4231654&sr=1-5
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 08:43 AM   #41
flyfs6
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW i7

Sorry I forgot to say that, new idrive as well as copying music from cd's, can copy music from the standard usb port which is located in the glovebox. However I dont think it plays directly from whatever device you plug in. I've basically been copying directly from cd to hdd.

The optional usb interface in the armrest has worked for me with whatever I plug it, usb drives, portable hard drive etc. With the bmw ipod cable it even charges my iphone.

Last edited by flyfs6; 09-29-2009 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 08:47 AM   #42
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfs6 View Post
Sorry I forgot to add as well that a usb port for copying music to the hdd is standard. However I dont think it plays directly from whatever device you plug in. I've basically been copying directly from cd to hdd.

The optional usb interface in glovebox has worked for me with whatever I plug it, usb drives, portable hard drive etc. With the bmw ipod cable it even charges my iphone.
Fly, this is a bit wierd.....

In my LCI car with HDD nav, the standard USB port is the one in the glovebox (right where the torch charger used to be in older models) - this socket is the one for uploading/backing up only, no music play.

The optional 6FL socket is the one in the ARMREST, by the aux input, that's the one you can stream music from ipod or USB stick.

Is yours an LCI model?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 09:03 AM   #43
flyfs6
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW i7

You are spot on, my post is confusing. Its meant to say armrest, not glovebox.

I haven't been using the other socket. I have the optional 6fl socket as well which I use with the ipod, portable hard drive, usb stick etc and to charge my iphone. (6FL works the same on all cars).

In other words and the answer to question raised in this thread is that, there is no need for 6FL if you're going to using the idrive hdd to store music. However without 6FL other devices can not be used to play back music. For what it costs I would recommend opting 6FL.

Although the car isn't an LCI. Its the E93 with new idrive, and its the same with LCI 6 series with new idrive.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #44
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I think I'm starting to get more excited about the media system than I am the actual car!
Appreciate 0