E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Electrical??

03-13-2019, 09:47 PM   #1
Dre2Swift
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Electrical??

Hey guys, I own a 08' 328i E90. Just purchased the vehicle from a private owner about a month ago.. he told me he had purchased a new battery, did the oil change, etc.. three weeks into owning the car I noticed my left tail light keeps going in n out at times. (Didn't think anything about it, just thought I need to replace it). Two days ago I'm driving on the highway and my alternator takes a dump, speedometer starts going to zero back to 160mph, car completely dies n doesn't hold a charge out of nowhere.. not sure if this could be an electrical problem or if the alternator just died... I got hit $800 for the alternator replacement and with me going through college that's hard.. Here are some of the things the mechanic found he advises me to fix. Is the car worth the investment? 93k on the dash. Ran super smooth transmission wise.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 09:40 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Sounds like a lot of bullshit to me. I'd visually inspect the serpentine belt to verify. Where was the car driven by the previous owner?

Upper radiator hose is only 14 inches long and would leak either at the radiator, the small return line, or at the oil filter housing, all of which are very easy to see and verify. Collapsed engine mounts? LOL.

Broken strut mounts hummmm.... The only thing that could break is the ball bearing, which would make a grinding noise when turning. And $1,150 to replace the strut mounts is COMPLETELY ridiculous. The mounts are around $100 each and no more than 1.5 hours shop time for an experienced BMW mechanic with professional suspension tools like a pneumatic spring compressor, etc. (and 1.5 hours is being generous). The strut mount is basically an aluminum spring perch with a ball bearing in it. The spring perch has three steel studs pressed into it. Other than the bearing, there is really nothing to "break". If it were truly broken, you'd feel it in the steering and hear it when turning. The bearing is covered by a washer and a plastic cap to keep foreign material out of it.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 03-14-2019 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0