E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > BMW Dealer Reviews + Ratings Forum > My good experience turned bad at South Bay BMW (LA, CA)

05-11-2006, 11:49 PM   #23
e90_M32
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2005 IS300  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
South Bay BMW has the best deal in town BUT make sure to put it all in writing. Keep your eyes open when you sign the dotted lines.

Careful with the finance guy add-ons. Also, you will never get a return call from your Salesperson after the purchase- pretty typical.

I have to pay to setup my bluetooth since my SA is not returning my calls.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2006, 01:17 AM   #24
e30klassic
Banned
Rep
Drives: Sport T-Silver E90

Garage List
2006 328i  [0.00]
Shoulda' walk out that deal and drive up to Fremont BMW(northern Cali) and get $400 over invoice, free floor mat, NO "maco" deal.

Too late now.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2006, 04:28 PM   #25
ashecnc
In the delivery business :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i Jet Black/Black

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i_keeper
What? You mean when you pick up your car that is not part of it?

Born 10/05 '06 325i Jet Black, Black, Sport Package, Xenon's, Heated Seats & Power, Sat. Prep, Rear Spoiler, Chrome Tips, Blacklines, Chrome Grills, 19" M5 wheels NO MORE run flats, drives like a dream now
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2006, 11:45 PM   #26
aphall
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i rec'd 2/17/06

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
South Bay BMW has the best deal in town BUT make sure to put it all in writing. Keep your eyes open when you sign the dotted lines.

Careful with the finance guy add-ons. Also, you will never get a return call from your Salesperson after the purchase- pretty typical.

You should not have to pay to have your bluetooth set up if you've already got the premium package.

By the way, I want to mention that there will be a new owner's reception/dinner/tour at South Bay BMW next Thursday from 6:30 - 8:30. Me and HoosBMW will be there. If you'd like to attend, call South Bay BMW and ask to RSVP for it. Shouldn't be a problem if you bought your car within this year. Let everyone know if you'll be there so we know to look for you. Cheers!

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2006, 09:35 AM   #27
e90_M32
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 IS300  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I bought mine in Nov of '05. And yes, I have sport/premium but my SA didn't mention about a free bluetooth (phone) setup. Instead he referred me to a guy who would be able to help me out with a fee.

When you guys bought your car from South Bay, did they set up your bluetooth and paired your phone?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2006, 09:57 AM   #28
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Gewgaw, it looks like after your phone call they resolved the situation. It also sounds like they took things a step further and took care of internal issues that were likely responsible for the salesperson's actions.

Personally, I would stick with that dealer from now on. Especially considering the attitude of most BMW dealers with servicing cars not purchased from them. I also had a bad experience with a salesperson when purchasing my car. But I have had such great experiences with everyone else at the dealership that I will always go back to them.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2006, 01:48 PM   #29
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke

Did you deal with a lady name Shawni at South bay BMW? It it was her, she's none too bright. I remember negotiating deals with different dealers and she emailed me back couple of times with different prices and each time she quoted me with options I didn't want or won't get back to my email a week later.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2006, 01:55 PM   #30
bmwdan
Rep

You guys absolutely kill me. I do not know why you think it is unfair for these dealerships to make any money!?!?! I love how you say "You are making a 40k plus purchase and they are dickering over $120 mats". You guys need to understand that everything has a cost. If you own something for $99,900, and I offer you $100,000 you would certainly not through in something with a cost of $1,500. What I am getting at is it does not matter how much money you spend, if the dealership does not have any money to pay for mats, thats the breaks. You are the one pounding them on the purhcase price so hard. Let them make a little money and maybe you'll get better service.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2006, 03:44 PM   #31
aphall
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
I bought mine in Nov of '05. And yes, I have sport/premium but my SA didn't mention about a free bluetooth (phone) setup. Instead he referred me to a guy who would be able to help me out with a fee.

When you guys bought your car from South Bay, did they set up your bluetooth and paired your phone?
My SA did help me pair my phone before I drove off the lot, but it was something she did and she's not very tech savvy. I suggest you give it a shot by following the owner's manual. You shouldn't have to pay to have your phone paired with your car.

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2006, 03:49 PM   #32
aphall
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdan
You guys absolutely kill me. I do not know why you think it is unfair for these dealerships to make any money!?!?! I love how you say "You are making a 40k plus purchase and they are dickering over $120 mats". You guys need to understand that everything has a cost. If you own something for $99,900, and I offer you $100,000 you would certainly not through in something with a cost of $1,500. What I am getting at is it does not matter how much money you spend, if the dealership does not have any money to pay for mats, thats the breaks. You are the one pounding them on the purhcase price so hard. Let them make a little money and maybe you'll get better service.
Sure, we understand that, but at the same time we all want to feel like we're being met half way. We're buying this car from X dealer and X salesperson, not the guy across town. Chances are, we'll get the same deal with mats from another dealer, as you'll read from other posts on this forum. In every consumer's eyes, the mats should be a non issue, a given, a throw in... why?.. because my f*ckin' honda civic comes with floor mats. We're not all getting bottom dollar, so they're still making huge profit on us and $150 isn't going to break the bank for these dealers.

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2006, 05:23 PM   #33
bmwdan
Rep

I agree the cars do not come with mats. I just dont like when people expect the dealer to buy them when you dont let the dealer make any money. Oh, and for what its worth, there is no holdback or any other way the dealer gets paid. If you are kind enough to give them 5's on the survery, they get a bonus for that, thats it - NO HOLDBACK!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2006, 11:11 PM   #34
e90_M32
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 IS300  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I have successfully paired my phone with the bluetooth system but do sound nor any connections came out. -(sorry guys I'm a bit off topic)

Anyhow, since I bought my car I have not used this bluetooth tech :mad:
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2006, 11:24 PM   #35
e90_M32
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 IS300  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I agree with what Aphall is saying. These dealerships are making a huge mark-up to begin with and a couple of hundred dollars won't hurt them. Of course any regular working joe has to get something for his hard earned money. And I'm sure the dealership has a lot of leverage to work on. I understand that there are overhead involved but c'mon couple of hundred bucks??? If they make their customer happy chances are they will have referrals or repeat customers.

Well unless you got tons of money then that's another issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2006, 12:52 AM   #36
aphall
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
I have successfully paired my phone with the bluetooth system but do sound nor any connections came out. -(sorry guys I'm a bit off topic)

Anyhow, since I bought my car I have not used this bluetooth tech :mad:
This may sound like a no brainer, but did you try turning up the sound? The phone volume and the radio volume are two different settings. Also, is your phone on the approved list by BMW to pair with your 3 series?

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2006, 01:06 AM   #37
blke90man
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i Sport Line

Funny...I always see CA's walking around with floormats when I'm at South Bay. I bought my car at Crevier and was very happy with the sale. I agree that floor mats should be included, $120 isn't going to kill the dealership and if it keeps you coming back and referring people to the dealership then they should have no problem in giving them to you.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2006, 01:43 PM   #38
Rats13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

I bought my car from South Bay BMW last month and had a pretty decent experience overall. My sales person's name was Brian. I got a deal at $800 over invoice +MACO :mad: This included floor mats. Mind you I asked for them in advance, he gave us the song and dance about paying for them himself and when he wrote it down on the deal he put down + floor mats my wife and I made sure he changed it to INCLUDES floor mats. Overall a positive experience. Perfect? The controls instruction wasn't great and I had to ask specifially for the velcro discs for the floor mats (thank you forum members).

As for your specific situation: Yeah it sucks when it they nickel and dime you BUT the reality is when we as customers grind for free mats WE are nickel and diming them. Yes it sucks the way they handled it at sale point but you need to share some of the blame as you didn't not get it written in anywhere in your deal and by your own admission don't remember asking for them. At the end of the day to me it seems like they did right by you and sent you the mats so I would think they deserve a second chance.

Just my 2 cents YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2006, 05:38 PM   #39
tl_boy
Major
Rep
Drives: tl

man, if you think bmw dealers are making $100 bucks on a $100,000 car you're crazy. I know you don't really believe that, but thats an absurd analogy.

These guys are probably making 5-6k right off the bat with a base 325i. Add options, and they are marking up for that. Repairs, warranty work etc. they will bill BMW for that. Car dealerships make a lot of money, thats why everyone who can bank roll it wants to own one.

I'm sure their operations costs are high, well so are their markups. And if you guys really think invoice price (on the pdf file) is what idealers actually pay, gimme a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdan
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2006, 12:24 AM   #40
e90_M32
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 IS300  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphall
This may sound like a no brainer, but did you try turning up the sound? The phone volume and the radio volume are two different settings. Also, is your phone on the approved list by BMW to pair with your 3 series?

Thanks, I'll try that.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2006, 09:39 AM   #41
T-MC-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

Why does everyone think that they deserve to get shit for free and pay nothing over invoice?

"tell me what you don't like about yourself..."
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2006, 10:38 AM   #42
aphall
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-MC-G
Why does everyone think that they deserve to get shit for free and pay nothing over invoice?
Things that are as common sense as floor mats should be included with a car. You don't think that your car needs floor mats and that it is common for EVERYONE to use them?

And regarding getting a car at invoice, like someone said above, the dealers are not buying these cars at the price stated "at invoice". Beyond the "invoice" price, there are several dealer kickbacks and incentives that they get. That's common knowledge.

I'm not saying I'm a guy that thinks I should pay nothing over invoice. Dealers need to make a profit and I understand that too. Afterall, they don't have to sell me the car as much as I don't have to buy from them.

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2006, 11:53 AM   #43
Rats13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

I agree: I don't understand is why BMW doesn't simply include floor mats as standard. EVERYONE seems to want them just include them in the cost of the car and save everyone the headache of negotiating over something so trivial
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2006, 11:14 AM   #44
bmwdan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphall
Things that are as common sense as floor mats should be included with a car. You don't think that your car needs floor mats and that it is common for EVERYONE to use them?

And regarding getting a car at invoice, like someone said above, the dealers are not buying these cars at the price stated "at invoice". Beyond the "invoice" price, there are several dealer kickbacks and incentives that they get. That's common knowledge.

I'm not saying I'm a guy that thinks I should pay nothing over invoice. Dealers need to make a profit and I understand that too. Afterall, they don't have to sell me the car as much as I don't have to buy from them.
I completely agree that floormats should be included - the fact of the matter is they are not. The decision to include something or not is BMW of North Americas decision, not the dealers.

You guys state that there are "several dealer kickbacks and incentives that they get." Find one dealer who says that. You say you do business with Crevier, call Don Crevier and ask him. I love how you say it is "common knowledge". Edmunds.com is always very good about listing holdback and other dealer incentives, and see what they say about BMW's. We buy it for the invoice price, TO THE PENNY. That is what invoice is - the only incentive a dealership CAN get is if at the end of the year they have a high CSI rating (requiring you guys to give them good survey scores) they get a bonus. I can assure you it is not enough to cover cost of floor mats in every car sold. As far as think we are making $5k - $6k on a base 325i, you are so far off it is not even funny. Go check out edmunds.com, they have all the dealer cost info, let me know what you find.

At my dealership we do buy mats for every customer, but we are fortunate enough to have customers that allow us to make a little bit of money. When you state you are buying cars at $200 over invoice, I want you to know how you expect them to buy you $120 mats?!?!?!?! I dont know what business you are in, but I am certain your customers allow you to make a margin.

You talk about how service and all that stuff makes money, to the dealership that is a seperate entity. New car sales, used car sales, CPO sales, parts, service, they are all essentially different organizations running under one entity. They all have there own budgets, costs, and profits. You are correct though in that service is what keeps these dealerships going. The sales department does not make enough money to pay the bills, let alone cover payroll and someone a little bit of money. Service and parts is where its at, and used car sales do well also. Just think, would invest $50k (the cost of a car) and let it sit there for 3 - 4 months to earn $200 - $300 on that $50k? The dealerships own all these cars, and that takes a lot of money. If they don't own the cars, they have a flooring line and pay interest on it as well. If the car business is so lucrative, whey aren't you all dealers. You seem to know everything about it.
Appreciate 0