E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > What is it about the 335? Does this happen to you?

03-05-2016, 09:14 PM   #1
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 335I

What is it about the 335? Does this happen to you?

I need to know if it's just me or if this happens to you all the time but it seems that no matter where I go and I can just be cruising with my top down enjoying the open air and there are a plethora of cars just seemingly wanting to race me.

I never indulge on the streets unless I'm in a private area where we can settle things without risking anyone's safety.

Today there was an older gentlemen cruising with his much younger lady friend in a Merc S550 convertible and it was a very beautiful car and a very beautiful day.

They started out from far behind me in the right lane and I can see that he was seemingly trying to get close to me, he caught up to me as I stopped at a red light and he started revving his engine and looking over at my car.

I never looked directly at him because I really wasn't trying to race him but I could see out of my peripheral that he was looking at my car and saying something to his girl about it as he laughed at me in a snide-like manner loud enough for me to hear and look over at him.

When the light changed he took off trying to show off for his girl so I thought I'd wait until the next light as the area ahead of us was going into a country two lane with no adjoining/intersecting streets.

Soon it was only our two cars and I figured I'd give him a taste of my dp from my exhaust, he pulls off slower than expected so I as I start to pull up next to him he just nails it, so i nail it and I'm right on his heel then I overtake and pass him leaving him badly as I look in the rearview he's laughing as though he is surprised that he was beaten so badly.

It appeared he may have just given up but from the outset he was really asking for it and trying very hard to leave me when he cheated and took the hit.

Does this happen to you with any particular cars or when you aren't even expecting someone to want to race you? What is it about these cars when they see that 335i plate??

Sorry about the long rant.
Mods: MHD Stg 2, xHP Flashtool Stage 3, VRSF 3" Chargepipe, Megan 4" Downpipes, Pure N55 Inlet, Outlet, VSRF 5" Stepped Intercooler, GFB Diverter, BMS N55 Intake, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, CF Spoiler, CF Kidney Grille, CF Mirror Covers, CF Eyelids, CF Wheel Hub Covers, CF Diffuser, M Sport Racing Strip, 20% Tints, and Golf Tee Mod
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2016, 11:38 PM   #2
Joey911
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i MT w/ M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBMW335I
I need to know if it's just me or if this happens to you all the time but it seems that no matter where I go and I can just be cruising with my top down enjoying the open air and there are a plethora of cars just seemingly wanting to race me.

I never indulge on the streets unless I'm in a private area where we can settle things without risking anyone's safety.

Today there was an older gentlemen cruising with his much younger lady friend in a Merc S550 convertible and it was a very beautiful car and a very beautiful day.

They started out from far behind me in the right lane and I can see that he was seemingly trying to get close to me, he caught up to me as I stopped at a red light and he started revving his engine and looking over at my car.

I never looked directly at him because I really wasn't trying to race him but I could see out of my peripheral that he was looking at my car and saying something to his girl about it as he laughed at me in a snide-like manner loud enough for me to hear and look over at him.

When the light changed he took off trying to show off for his girl so I thought I'd wait until the next light as the area ahead of us was going into a country two lane with no adjoining/intersecting streets.

Soon it was only our two cars and I figured I'd give him a taste of my dp from my exhaust, he pulls off slower than expected so I as I start to pull up next to him he just nails it, so i nail it and I'm right on his heel then I overtake and pass him leaving him badly as I look in the rearview he's laughing as though he is surprised that he was beaten so badly.

It appeared he may have just given up but from the outset he was really asking for it and trying very hard to leave me when he cheated and took the hit.

Does this happen to you with any particular cars or when you aren't even expecting someone to want to race you? What is it about these cars when they see that 335i plate??

Sorry about the long rant.
I sometimes down shift my gear one by one next to a Japanese car, usually on highway, (heavily modded look) WRXs, 350/370Z, infinity g sth I don't even care. To get their attention and using my exhaust to tell them "your car is meh." Then I wait and see if they wanna play, if not then I take off.

But tonight, a Jetta look so normal but drive like crazy on highway, swinging left and right, I thought he was gonna crash looking at that body roll lol. I chased up once and found out his car is not "that" fast, so I go back to cruising.

But no, not much people wanna race me, my car look super stock, and it's a boring sapphire black.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 01:31 PM   #3
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Will happen occasionally when you drive a sporty looking car. I've had it happen a few times.

Once in my E46 328i some dumbass in a Subaru kept trying to race me on the motorway., He's slow down and wait for me, then launch and weave between traffic well above the speed limit. There was a lot of traffic, way to risky, so I just let him look like a fool.

Another time in the same car some Golf with shiny rims and very low suspension revved up next to me at the lights, probably a 1.4l engine. He probably had a cone filter intake or something that made him think his car was fast. He had a girl he was obviously trying to impress.
I didn't even need to go past 3000 rpm to beat him, and I didn't look at him so I was acting as if I was pulling off normally

When it's a car you can obviously beat it's funnier to pretend you're paying no attention to them and only go just fast enough to beat them

Now the old Jap cars don't usually try race me in the 335i, it's often the Aussie V8s (Holdens) which can be a bit faster or Audi's. They're usually more sensible than the old Jap car kids about where they do it too, like motorway on-ramps, and won't do anything where traffic is around...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 05:13 AM   #4
Cory S
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i-X

Depends how tacky your car is. The more riced out it is, ie: slammed, 20" wheels, Ridiculous negative camber, stickers, air splitters, etc. The more teen kids in their Hondas will want to run you....
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2016, 08:16 AM   #5
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Can't say it has. Old men around here drive Lincolns and Buick LeSabres, and are usually going so slow that I need to pass them.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2016, 08:45 AM   #6
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory S View Post
Depends how tacky your car is. The more riced out it is, ie: slammed, 20" wheels, Ridiculous negative camber, stickers, air splitters, etc. The more teen kids in their Hondas will want to run you....

Who does that to a BMW?? My car looks totally stock.
Mods: MHD Stg 2, xHP Flashtool Stage 3, VRSF 3" Chargepipe, Megan 4" Downpipes, Pure N55 Inlet, Outlet, VSRF 5" Stepped Intercooler, GFB Diverter, BMS N55 Intake, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, CF Spoiler, CF Kidney Grille, CF Mirror Covers, CF Eyelids, CF Wheel Hub Covers, CF Diffuser, M Sport Racing Strip, 20% Tints, and Golf Tee Mod
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2016, 09:15 AM   #7
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBMW335I View Post
Who does that to a BMW?? My car looks totally stock.
Oh you'd be surprised.. Especially since higher mileage BMWs can be had for cheap, so the kids from the "special bus" can now afford to pick them up. So be ready to see all sorts of crazy shit.
Appreciate 3
      03-07-2016, 11:22 AM   #8
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Not usually. But what I have noticed is that some people will follow really really close behind me for no discernible reason. I'm not sure what they're getting at. I've had someone do it to me on a 4 lane highway at 9pm. They were driving a Nissan Sentra in the right lane going under 65. I signaled and moved into lane 2 out of 4, sped up, signaled, and overtook him. As I sped up, I noticed he started increasing his speed as well.

Apparently he didn't like that, because he decided to speed up further and get really close to my bumper to the point that I could no longer see his headlights. I usually find these situations comical, because they're powerless and putting themselves in danger - insurance will cover me just fine.

I merge off to my exit and hear the Nissan start blaring his horn he goes by. My passenger didn't quite understand either. He must've been offended that I thought he was driving too slow.

I'll get things like that more in my BMW, though it's still pretty rare; but less rare than in a Honda!

Last edited by Welcome to NBA Jam; 03-07-2016 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 11:31 AM   #9
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

I have a short commute down the Parkway to get to work.. I'm no speed demon so I tend to hang in the the middle lane. I'm also always going opposite of traffic, so the lanes are fairly empty. The one thing I been noticing is that quite often someone will speed through the left lane to get in front of me, mind you I'm doing about 75MPH (speed limit is 65MPH). Couldn't careless that they are passing me but I do find it hilarious than about 50% of the cars will not use their blinkers when they are moving into my lane. I'll watch these fuckers head on down, pass other cars, and USE their blinkers.

And yes I'll also have the occasional fart can reject try to ride my ass.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2016, 11:39 AM   #10
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
I have a short commute down the Parkway to get to work.. I'm no speed demon so I tend to hang in the the middle lane. I'm also always going opposite of traffic, so the lanes are fairly empty. The one thing I been noticing is that quite often someone will speed through the left lane to get in front of me, mind you I'm doing about 75MPH (speed limit is 65MPH). Couldn't careless that they are passing me but I do find it hilarious than about 50% of the cars will not use their blinkers when they are moving into my lane. I'll watch these fuckers head on down, pass other cars, and USE their blinkers.

And yes I'll also have the occasional fart can reject try to ride my ass.
That's some typical stuff here in Texas, I try to stay in the middle lane as well and if I'm riding in the left (fast) lane I will do the speed limit but once I see someone approaching at a faster speed than I appear to be going then i will already be moving over.

Too many times though I've seen it where I've actually switched lanes to move out of the faster oncoming car only to notice that they really just sped up to catch up to me in hopes for a race and when that happens I just move all the way over to the third lane if it's available or move to the middle and slow to below the speed limit so they can pass but still I'll have an occasional butthole or two continue to tailgate me trying to bait me into a race.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 11:49 AM   #11
TBN54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08' E92 335 -> 17' F30 340i

I picked my girl up and some kid in a stock EVO started revving at me.

He took off and less than 2 blocks away this city cop pulls out the Wendy's parking lot and pulls him over lmao.
Appreciate 2
      03-07-2016, 12:05 PM   #12
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBN54 View Post
I picked my girl up and some kid in a stock EVO started revving at me.

He took off and less than 2 blocks away this city cop pulls out the Wendy's parking lot and pulls him over lmao.
Similar situation happened to me in my E90 328.. This was right in my town, a kid in a GTI decided to floor it at the light to show his GF his racing skills.. Roughly a quarter mile down the road there is another intersection and a small mini-mall. Cops sometimes hang out at the wooded side of that intersection or hide near the entrance to the mini-mall. Unfortunately luck was not on his side that day because a cop pulled out from the mini-mall and got right up on his ass, with lights flashing.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 03:00 PM   #13
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E92

It's bad here in Houston, especially with the trucks. Guys with there jacked up Silverados will tailgate me and then hit the gas to pass and cut me off without signal, as if I insulted there family name. I have a Tundra myself but it's mostly stock and I drive it like a grandpa. I know you can modify a truck to be fast, but I just don't understand the need to make an elephant run faster than it should.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 04:09 PM   #14
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skhmund View Post
It's bad here in Houston, especially with the trucks. Guys with there jacked up Silverados will tailgate me and then hit the gas to pass and cut me off without signal, as if I insulted there family name. I have a Tundra myself but it's mostly stock and I drive it like a grandpa. I know you can modify a truck to be fast, but I just don't understand the need to make an elephant run faster than it should.
Same way here in the Valley, nothing but modified trucks and they get pissy when you move up ahead of them then all of a sudden it becomes a contest of them trying to move ahead of you (not that you're racing them).
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 04:46 PM   #15
JLGM4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

San antonio has a bunch of hondas and dualy trucks spewing clouds of diesel left and right because its "cool". I can't pull up at any light around town without seeing a riced out civic or 240 with a 5 foot rusted wing on the back
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 01:56 PM   #16
prima_materia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 11' BMW 335i Sedan XDrive LCI

Haha, this happens I'd say roughly 85-90% of the time I'm out n' about. Like a couple of you stated here, for me it's usually lifted trucks for some reason. Even everyday commuters like vans, suvs, even cars like camrys more times than not cut me off, pass me, or try to mess with me. People crack me up

Everyday coming home from work I pretty much just accept it as routine that someone will act ridiculous while driving. Like last week this younger girl in a white 4-door cobalt base model incredibly nestled up to my back bumper, so much so, that I couldn't even see her in my side mirrors, unless I were to look in my rearview mirror.

She was on my ass for about 2 miles down this stretch of highway. We were starting to merge on this part of the e-way where it loops around to another stretch of highway. As soon as we completed the loop and were once again going straight, I was in 3rd gear, rolled into the steptronic nicely, got up to about 80 mph from 40 mph, putting several car lengths on her. I then got into the middle lane on the expressway cruising around 70.

Eventually she comes slowly cruising past me in the faster lane to my left, i look from my peripheral to see here looking straight ahead, arm extended to the passenger side window, middle finger to me as she's passing haha. I waved at her.

Mind you, I tend to cruise and not lay into the car all that much. On the expressway im usually cruising 5 mph over the speed limit; never really go over that, unless I'm looking to lay into the car a little more.

People are in such a hurry anymore, cracks me up.
JB4 ISO Map 7 @ 20psi, MHD/BMS e85 BEF, ISO_14 Firmware, xHP Stage 3 TCU Flash, Flex Fuel Adapter, Rev3 Connect-Kit, 50% e85 mix/93 octane, K&N drop-in filter, ER Chargepipe, JB4 CAN-flap disabled, VRSF Catless DP, VRSF 7in. FMIC,
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 01:33 PM   #17
Vegas
Pedestrian Like
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 SG 335i

I've had the reverse experience where I'm in a hurry, pull away quickly from a light not noticing the *insert name of sporty or modded car* next to you and they think you are racing them. I usually just slow down at that point and let them go off on their own. It's always good to have someone on the road faster than you to be the cop magnet
      04-18-2016, 02:35 PM   #18
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Mine, no. My buddies GTR, constantly.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 06:53 AM   #19
EuropeanStandard
Rep
Drives: 11' BMW 335i Coupe

I live down in Tampa Florida area. Lots of "racers" on the streets. Last weekend was just cruising in the city and on a stop light pull up to a bright green 911 GT3 RS, with the huge wing on the back. I was just getting goosebumps looking at it. Anyways the windows go down in the RS and behind the wheel is a guy thats not even in his thirties. He looks at my stock 335i e92, smiles, lookes at his gauges, revs, looks back grinning.

Long story short the guy just blew past me, literally(exhaust noise was unbelievable), even though i wasnt even in sport mode(6AT) and didnt really go full WOT it was an experience to remember for sure!! Never got that much attention on the streets from other car guys that actually have decent cars till I got the bimmer few months ago, im loving it.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 07:03 AM   #20
LGCubana
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan

325s love to overtake me, on the local roads.

Different story on the highway
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 08:22 AM   #21
sd306
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Happens all the time

Usually someone cuts me off. I then gently change lanes and starting moving in front of them. They try to not let me pass, boost hits and byeee. It's usually trucks, Camaros, Challengers, Mustangs, etc.
      04-19-2016, 02:13 PM   #22
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

If everyone accompanied their posts with a picture of their ride, it would really go towards explaining exactly why some have different experiences than others on the road.
Appreciate 0