E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > First BMW-trying to understand CBS versus annual dates

06-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
steve0617
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Xdrive

First BMW-trying to understand CBS versus annual dates

My 11 335i xDrive had an in service date of 7/23/11. Car now has 14.4k miles on it. CBS indicates another 7k until change is due. (gulp...) (It's leased )

However, I know that I can have it changed at the annual date or 15k. I'll do that at the end of next month. SA said the computer is not reset and the car will then ask for another change in another 6-7k miles as if I didn't already have the annual change. OK, fine.

But then what? Does the annual change/15k then start from that date of the 2nd change (that the CBS called for)? Or is it still annual from the service date? (Thus I'll end up with changes about every 6 months or so?)
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

It's based off the reset date. The CBS states both the miles and date to next change. Of course the miles.isn't actual and will start to drop like a rock.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
steve0617
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
It's based off the reset date. The CBS states both the miles and date to next change. Of course the miles.isn't actual and will start to drop like a rock.
OK, so the one year inservice date, (which is getting me the first oil change as the CBS still has some 7K miles to go), goes away once the CBS calls for the change (which will be the second one)?

So, I'll get the oil changed around July 23rd as that's my one year service date. Then the car will call for a change about mid November (guessing - based on the CBS 7K remaining right now). Then the next change I would be eligible for is next November? The current July inservice date would no longer matter after the first change?

Do I have that right?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
rtgirard
1-5-3-6-2-4
United_States
Rep
Drives: Awaiting 2013 335xi -

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve0617 View Post
OK, so the one year inservice date, (which is getting me the first oil change as the CBS still has some 7K miles to go), goes away once the CBS calls for the change (which will be the second one)?

So, I'll get the oil changed around July 23rd as that's my one year service date. Then the car will call for a change about mid November (guessing - based on the CBS 7K remaining right now). Then the next change I would be eligible for is next November? The current July inservice date would no longer matter after the first change?

Do I have that right?
This is pretty much how mine has worked. My inservice date was Jan 2010... Car got it's first change the following Jan, then again in Sept 2011. Now not due again until Sept 2012.

Many people here will do a mid-cycle oil change on their own and *not* reset the CBS, in effect ensuring that the car will still request the scheduled changes and thereby halving the interval (roughly speaking).
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
steve0617
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtgirard View Post
This is pretty much how mine has worked. My inservice date was Jan 2010... Car got it's first change the following Jan, then again in Sept 2011. Now not due again until Sept 2012.

Many people here will do a mid-cycle oil change on their own and *not* reset the CBS, in effect ensuring that the car will still request the scheduled changes and thereby halving the interval (roughly speaking).
Got it. Kinda wished I had done the 6 months/7500 change on my own. But what the hell, it's leased and I don't think we'll buy it at the end. Not sure. But probably not as we're clicking 15K a year on it right now.

Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0