E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Pictures of Stock Airbox

09-12-2012, 04:28 AM   #1
dL_EVO
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 EVO IX, 2011 BMW 335D

Pictures of Stock Airbox

I'm wondering if anyone has pics of the insides of the stock air box. I would like to see if we can hack the air box and use a 4" cone filter.

I have a similar setup on my EVO IX. I took a stock air box and used the dremel to cut the bottom of the box out and fit a cone style filter. I used this method to provide protection from engine heat and to hide the filter from cops that ask to see my engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 06:15 AM   #2
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
What right do cops have asking to see your engine bay?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 06:24 AM   #3
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Its a Frisco thing I believe , LOL. @dl_EVO if you plan to put a 4" inlet,your filter can NOT measure no more than 4" long!! I had replaced my box with and AMSOIL filter and the thing barely fits and its a 6" long filter, there is someone in the forums that has made a mod for his X5d and cannot remember if its this forum or the other. DO NOT rig the system it might not work properly and word to the wise AVOID an OILED filter eventually your oil will run at take out the MASS FLOW sensor and void your warranty!!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
dL_EVO
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
What right do cops have asking to see your engine bay?
It's a California thing. Our street racing scene is big here, unfortunately I drive one of the imports that's heavily used here in street racing. So, in turn I get a lot of attention from cops. I'm being profiled basically. I would rather pop my hood and let them see mt "stock" engine bay than the police looking under my car and seeing no cat. Lol
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #5
dL_EVO
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
Its a Frisco thing I believe , LOL. @dl_EVO if you plan to put a 4" inlet,your filter can NOT measure no more than 4" long!! I had replaced my box with and AMSOIL filter and the thing barely fits and its a 6" long filter, there is someone in the forums that has made a mod for his X5d and cannot remember if its this forum or the other. DO NOT rig the system it might not work properly and word to the wise AVOID an OILED filter eventually your oil will run at take out the MASS FLOW sensor and void your warranty!!
your running a cone style air filter in your air box?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 05:44 AM   #6
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

No amigo, I removed the entire box and then added the AMSOIL cone filter but had to remove it cause it was a bit to long and scrapping paint and two it was sucking TOO MUCH hot air, our engine compartment are somewhat sealed thus to much heat, but I tell you what the car responded WAYYY better and had LESS turbo lag than before, there is a guy that made a AIC for his X5 and it looked sweet I beleive he is the owner of CX Racing but he is at another site called german boost go check it out
Appreciate 0