E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > whos jumping ship to the Nexus One?

12-13-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
whos jumping ship to the Nexus One?

I have to admit, im tempted.
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

You DON'T have to jump anything man, the rumor mill is that its to be sold directly by Google as an unlocked phone in GSM and CDMA with carrier "support" across the board. Unsubsidized, the phone should be in the $500 range, mininium. but my guess is that Google will either subsidize it in creative ways that enable them to offer all kinds of other free shit like Google earth, voice, wave, nav, 411 etc. Or Google will just opt to not make as much money on it to try to break into this "google phone" business.
its gona be the shit. OLED display, snapdragon, 5MP...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep

all you need to know

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/13/g...er-appearance/

http://www.tmonews.com/2009/12/googl...ion/#more-8093
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwoo2go View Post
You DON'T have to jump anything man, the rumor mill is that its to be sold directly by Google as an unlocked phone in GSM and CDMA with carrier "support" across the board. Unsubsidized, the phone should be in the $500 range, mininium. but my guess is that Google will either subsidize it in creative ways that enable them to offer all kinds of other free shit like Google earth, voice, wave, nav, 411 etc. Or Google will just opt to not make as much money on it to try to break into this "google phone" business.
its gona be the shit. OLED display, snapdragon, 5MP...
Curious to see what's so special about that version of Android.
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iheLLraiseR View Post
Curious to see what's so special about that version of Android.
Well i don't think its too much about the actual handset thats special, (even tho, the hardware is pretty amazing) but rather its the OS, its suppose to be the "real" android. In other words, all the android phones before this is suppose to supposely in beta and now, "real" Android is about to debut.
I also happen to think that a lot of the hype is about Google brining the "don't be evil" motto to the cellphone world, because a carrier locked phone is fucking evil and what's been keeping US behind world phone technologies for years. Thats why Europe and Asia always get the cool new shits first and we get...Dash.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 08:07 PM   #6
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwoo2go View Post
Well i don't think its too much about the actual handset thats special, (even tho, the hardware is pretty amazing) but rather its the OS, its suppose to be the "real" android. In other words, all the android phones before this is suppose to supposely in beta and now, "real" Android is about to debut.
I also happen to think that a lot of the hype is about Google brining the "don't be evil" motto to the cellphone world, because a carrier locked phone is fucking evil and what's been keeping US behind world phone technologies for years. Thats why Europe and Asia always get the cool new shits first and we get...Dash.
That's what I meant. And I meant jumping ship as an AT&T subscriber.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #7
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

How can people jump from phone to phone all the time like this? When I switch phones it takes so long to get my contacts, ringtones, bookmarked web pages, etc etc all moved over and set up... I know people who change phones like every few months, I have no idea how they put up with it. I've had an iPhone since they launched, there's just no way I'm switching to another platform unless it is something that is massively superior.
      12-13-2009, 08:52 PM   #8
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
How can people jump from phone to phone all the time like this? When I switch phones it takes so long to get my contacts, ringtones, bookmarked web pages, etc etc all moved over and set up... I know people who change phones like every few months, I have no idea how they put up with it. I've had an iPhone since they launched, there's just no way I'm switching to another platform unless it is something that is massively superior.
I have a carbon copy of all my contacts as well as bookmarks. Google and a Jailbreak are your best friends.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 02:32 AM   #9
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
That's the great part about about android and the iphone (at least if you use a mac). All of my contacts/calendars/mail are synced between my mac, iphone, and google services. Switching between these devices are effortless.

I've actually spent some time with the new Google phone. The hardware is nice, but Android still has a long way to go before it even comes close to the iPhone OS.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 01:45 AM   #10
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Its the magic of sync.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
That's the great part about about android and the iphone (at least if you use a mac). All of my contacts/calendars/mail are synced between my mac, iphone, and google services. Switching between these devices are effortless.

I've actually spent some time with the new Google phone. The hardware is nice, but Android still has a long way to go before it even comes close to the iPhone OS.
But the thing is, Android is open sourced, that's like an infant with the IQ of over 9000 and the potential is limitless, vs Iphone OS is like a really smart adult and the potential has already hit the ceiling.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #11
Mikeyluis
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 325I

i just got the droid, (which i love by the way) so I have no intentions of getting the nexus one.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 05:37 PM   #12
number335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe

that looks like the HTC passion/bravo which verizon is supposed to carry.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 05:41 PM   #13
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by number335 View Post
that looks like the HTC passion/bravo which verizon is supposed to carry.
Tha IS the bravo...renamed
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 06:13 PM   #14
number335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe

so some carriers will have the phone but will also be available unlocked as the nexus one. i've been getting confused with all the different names for the same phone. either way, the phone specs are amazing and i will be planning on getting one.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 06:35 PM   #15
Kensta335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Wow, all these touch screen phones coming out claiming to be better than the next. I can't keep up. I'm still pretty happy with my jailbroken 3gs. Guess I'll roll with it until something truely better comes out.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #16
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiberglass View Post
I'm not jumping ship at all. I'm going to keep my beloved iPhone and also purchase a Nexus to use on my home wifi and in places where I have wifi or only have wifi and no cell service. If it's 99 subsidized and 199 I'm buying one for sure.
where are you getting these numbers?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 07:32 PM   #17
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiberglass View Post
http://www.androidguys.com/2009/12/1...ite-january-5/

http://www.slashgear.com/peek-ceo-ge...eases-1666131/

Not the original articles, but a quick google search brought these up. I've heard $99 subsidized if you have a current gmail account, $199 without.
If the rumor is true of that it can run on data sim only ($30/month) and will use GV for all voice and sms, its gona be huge.
Because this means they have fully integrated gv into this phone as real VOIP service vs having to go thru an app and still using carrier minutes to route calls. I just have trouble believing that they will make you use the GV website to make calls without streamlining the process, like with current GV app, for calls and SMS if they are guna even try the data sims route.

Also I think its the right move for them to subsidize the phone and issue rebate CREDIT to use in android market, because that will essentially funnel a shit load of money into the marketplace which aren't making alot of money for app developers as of right now and the marketplace will explode with new apps and developers.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 06:45 AM   #18
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
I have a feeling thats its going to be a big game changer.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 09:39 AM   #19
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
All your contacts can be convertered at the store, for emails, etc it should load when you sync with your email account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post

The best thing about andriod over iphone is i'm not tied down to stupid-ass itunes. I can create folders and drag and drop all my music, ring tone files, pictures, etc. I don't have to sync to anything. That's why i will never own apple anything because i have to do what apple tells me. Which is complete crap.

Android does have things to improve, but it's still a baby.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 12:16 PM   #20
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
All your contacts can be convertered at the store, for emails, etc it should load when you sync with your email account.

The best thing about andriod over iphone is i'm not tied down to stupid-ass itunes. I can create folders and drag and drop all my music, ring tone files, pictures, etc. I don't have to sync to anything. That's why i will never own apple anything because i have to do what apple tells me. Which is complete crap.

Android does have things to improve, but it's still a baby.
You must be on windows. Understandable. I don't know 1 person on the mac that doesn't love iTunes. I can't stand micromanaging files. I did that with my first MP3 player in 1998. I'm glad modern technology allows for sorting and filtering via metadata.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 01:18 PM   #21
bayrama
Private
Rep
Drives: .

Glad to see you guys like this phone. I also am an early adopter and now I run a site which sells cases for the Nexus. If you guys would like to check it out, it's at

http://www.cimousa.com

A coupon for you guys for free shipping: tednexus

I think this phone blows away the iPhone. Maybe the UI isn't as polished, but the speed and 'connectedness' of all the all applications is amazing. Don't forget about that amazing OLED screen.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 05:48 PM   #22
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

/\ Just bought the new Blackberry 9700 over the Nexus. Had it had a keyboard & 3G (I'm on ATT), I'd be holding one instead.