E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Help for installing some extra bass? (Thanks)

02-27-2009, 06:31 PM   #1
ChanceKirksey
Private
Rep
Drives: Automobile

Help for installing some extra bass? (Thanks)

I have a
-Amp
-Box
-2 Subwoofers

I wanted to know what all do I need I need to make this work?

I'm sure I will need, but what else?

1 Wire from amp to to battery
1 Ground Wire from amp to frame
1 Wire for Acc (for amp to turn on) where do I connect that wire to?
2 RCA's Where do they connect to and what else do I have to buy?

Thank you all for you all's help in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
Synergy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92

The remote wire, you can tap into the accessory fuse behind the glove box.

You need to purchase a line out converter. You tap it into your rear speakers and connect the RCA's to it. That should be all you need to do.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
ChanceKirksey
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy View Post
The remote wire, you can tap into the accessory fuse behind the glove box.

You need to purchase a line out converter. You tap it into your rear speakers and connect the RCA's to it. That should be all you need to do.
You can't wire it into the factory amp in the trunk or something, I was trying to avoid running wires past the trunk. also I have a line out converter I just didn't think it would work, because I've read that these cars have digital signal (which is something I'm not to familiar with) I do have Nav and LG7.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
techforge
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanceKirksey View Post
You can't wire it into the factory amp in the trunk or something, I was trying to avoid running wires past the trunk. also I have a line out converter I just didn't think it would work, because I've read that these cars have digital signal (which is something I'm not to familiar with) I do have Nav and LG7.
If all you're interested in is adding bass then tap into the lines running from the factory amp to the subs under the front seats. If you search the forum you'll find the color codes for the wires. Don't tap the rear deck speaker lines because the crossover in the factory amp filters out the low frequencies you need for subs. You only need a loc if your amp doesn't accept high-level inputs. Driving the factory subs with an aftermarket amp gives them a lot of extra punch. In fact, I had a 12" sub installed in my car, but it was way more than I needed. Just driving the factory subs with more juice did the trick for me. Either way it's a fairly simple job if you use the right wiring diagram.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #5
canrhea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

how do I just replace the factory sub amp??? Ive installed amps before but not sure where to start in my 335i.

Is there a separate amp just for the sub?? where is it located? is it a 2 channel amp? or mono?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 11:17 PM   #6
motox56
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

no there is only one amp in the car. but you can grab signal from there and use a high/low converter or an audio control dqs,dqxs, or dql8. using one of the audio control pieces is nice because they generate there own remote turn on. i did 3 amps and a dql8 and only had to run the bass knob to the front. i am trying to sell a dql8 at the moment p.m. if you are interested.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
thetryal
1 expensive toy
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

run the power to the battery in the trunk, ground to chassis, pull up left side of trunk lining and find proper colored wires. use wire taps to connect to these, then hook these up to you converter. run converter to amp. run the remote wire to a "add a fuse" from auto zone and plug this into fuse 30, the cig lighter.

pm me if you need help
      03-04-2009, 12:52 PM   #8
ChanceKirksey
Private
Rep

Still confused guys.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2009, 01:03 PM   #9
ntpcrew13
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Arctic e90 330i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetryal View Post
run the power to the battery in the trunk, ground to chassis, pull up left side of trunk lining and find proper colored wires. use wire taps to connect to these, then hook these up to you converter. run converter to amp. run the remote wire to a "add a fuse" from auto zone and plug this into fuse 30, the cig lighter.

pm me if you need help
he couldnt have said it any better. you just need to look for hte diagram for the color coded wires to match up to the subs on the logic 7 amp.

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2009, 01:13 PM   #10
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Still confused guys.
What aftermarket amp do you have?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2009, 06:00 PM   #11
ChanceKirksey
Private
Rep

Old School Lanzar amp. It has two rca jacks inputs. 4 wire inputs. Prong connector for highs. Hi/Low/Mix switch ( i forgot how there exactly worded, but turn the switch left you get only base, turn it to the middle you get treble and bass coming out of your subs, turn to right and you get all treble. There is bass, gain, etc. Just everything your avg. amp has.

So my question is, what else do I need to buy other than this and how do I avoid running a remote all the way to the glove box? Sorry for being so difficult.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2009, 06:47 PM   #12
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Old School Lanzar amp. It has two rca jacks inputs. 4 wire inputs. Prong connector for highs. Hi/Low/Mix switch ( i forgot how there exactly worded, but turn the switch left you get only base, turn it to the middle you get treble and bass coming out of your subs, turn to right and you get all treble. There is bass, gain, etc. Just everything your avg. amp has.

So my question is, what else do I need to buy other than this and how do I avoid running a remote all the way to the glove box? Sorry for being so difficult.
Are those 4 wire inputs high/speaker level? What is the exact model of this Lanzar amp?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2009, 07:39 PM   #13
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
On the left side near the wheel well there is a little black wire with a cap on it that basically leads to nothing. THat is a relay you tap into to go along with plugging the remote to the battery. Thats what we had to do in my car. The amp will stay on for a few minutes then shut off because thats what this little wire does.
Appreciate 0