E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > UK E90 Forum

10-17-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d M-Sport

Garage List
UK E90 Forum

This might be pushing what's acceptable on here, but until I post, I'll never know! Plenty of people link to other forums anyways..

Ok so when I had the E46 I was a member of E46zone.com. Cracking site and has a really good, easy going community with a lot of knowledge on there. We used to go to quite a lot of meets thoughout the year varying from UBMW, Gaydon etc. to just meets in car parks and pub lunches.. all in all, good times! Some of you may have heard of the famous E46Zone UBMW bonfire!

Sam, the owner of E46Zone then started up E90zone.co.uk to try and maintain the community as more and more of us moved up from the E46 to the E9x and although the forum has been set up, it's a bit of a ghost town over there. I think its partially due to the US bias of sites like E46Fanatics forced UK people over to E46Zone. Clearly this is the next obvious home for UK people although sometimes I feel that despite the wee sub forum we Brits have, t'is always nice to have your own site!

Essentially what I'm asking, nay not asking, more highlighting, is that if a few more people went on there then the community might get a bit more established. I'm not for one second advocating leaving E90Post - I wouldn't be here if I was - but I wondered if any of you might like to have a look, maybe post something and see if the community builds a wee bit. I for one am a member of several car forums, so there's nothing to say you can't be too!!

I'd also like to point out that other than being a forum member, I'm in no way affiliated with the 'zone' so I'm not doing this for profit or any benefit to myself or anyone else. I just thought that there are very few UK specific E9x forums about the place and we found it really good on E46zone to have a UK specific forum for the one model of car.

Have a look and see what you think. (link in sig!)

Thanks for your time guys and girls!

Fro
      10-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

Joined!
I'll pop over to the site from time to time to try and support as best I can.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Woot, cheers chap!

I must admit, I'm a bit guilt of not really posting on there very much either but with more members there may be more chance of a reply!
      10-18-2011, 12:06 AM   #4
MickyD'bo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 335d xDrive

104 members. my god it is a ghost town!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 12:22 AM   #5
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Why don't you just send them over to our massive community.
      10-18-2011, 12:39 AM   #6
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Just what I was thinking
      10-18-2011, 01:22 AM   #7
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Yup instead of trying to move so many members from here to a new forum, why not give your E90Zone friends a link here?
      10-18-2011, 01:29 AM   #8
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
+1

Why ask people to join yet another forum? I am sure there are a many members on here like me that don't frequent other forums. We might have joined in for a couple of times but that's it. No point having inflated member figures if no one plays ball. There will be hundreds on here that have only posted a few times but its big enough to carry on, unlike the smaller ones that have good intentions but feel like your a fully paid up member in Guantanamo Bay!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 03:06 AM   #9
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Mate just send them here. There's hundreds of posts a day from thousands of UK members here. What is the point in getting say 5 of us to go on there once, realise it's dead and not bother again.

e46zone is a great place but your mate is about 6 years too late to the party to try and set up a thrivng E90 community now
      10-18-2011, 03:18 AM   #10
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Unless it has a 'how to fit Lexus lights' section. I can see that taking off
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #11
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Just to clarify, I'm not trying to move anyone from anywhere. People use different forum for different things. For example, this forums seems more biased towards people getting the E9x for business use on contracts and on people purely seeking technical information on OEM retrofits. E46Zone was a bit more consumer biased - likley due to the age and lower cost of the car. What E46Zone had that I don't see here if I'm honest is the social scene. Now again, this may be member demographic related. It could just be that the owners of E46s were younger as an average and so wanted to go to meets and get pissed. Unless I've missed it completely, there aren't really as many meets and socials on here.

Please don't think I'm putting the site down, I am not - for technical knowhow on the E9x, it's second to none. That might be all some members look for. Some others might want more. I can only speak for myself here, but I look to sites like here for my tech stuff and knowledge, but to be brutally honest, I'd look elsewhere for the social. Some memers may not want social. Fair enough.

I'd gladly go on E90Zone and tell all the members to come here, but there's none there to come! What tends to happen though is when the activity on a forum starts, more come,then some more and then some more and before you know it, you have something like this forum!

Who knows.. maybe with an influx of members and as the E90 becomes more affordable, the demographic might change. Shows like UBMW are the highlight of an enthusiasts car year in my humble opinion and it's just a shame that there was no representation from E90Post (I did see Mega though! ) It would have been nice to have a UK E9x stand on there - whether that came from Post, Zone, bimmerforums, etc etc doesn't really matter. It just seems to me that as the above sites are so diluted at the moment, people just go to wherever. Would a UK only site help alleviate that? I don't know. Maybe if this site was broken down some more into further subforums (much like the main site) it would be different.. who knows.

It was just a thought and like I said, I wasn't trying to poach anyone or move anyone. I was only pointing out an established UK only forum that people may or may not be interested in.

My tuppence worth.
      10-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #12
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
Nothing wrong with drawing attention to an alternative forum, but you will find that there certainly is a social side here, if you give it time. I've made a number of friends through organising the Northern Meets. The UK meets are popular and check out Tony's thread about Christmas dinner! This has always been a friendly and sociable place which is why many of us are still here long after our BMWs have gone!

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #13
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockIt View Post
Nothing wrong with drawing attention to an alternative forum, but you will find that there certainly is a social side here, if you give it time. I've made a number of friends through organising the Northern Meets. The UK meets are popular and check out Tony's thread about Christmas dinner! This has always been a friendly and sociable place which is why many of us are still here long after our BMWs have gone!
+ 1

Gav, your partner swapping bondage parties are legendary on the forum.
      10-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #14
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
+ 1

Gav, your partner swapping bondage parties are legendary on the forum.
I try my best to keep the troops entertained mate.

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 01:36 AM   #15
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

I can see what Frobius is trying to say but I do agree with the other comments.
By bringing a little of what t(he)y are trying to achieve with E90 zone,can only be good for and indeed strengthen an already great site (E90 post).
There appears to have been a large influx of new members recently on this forum,so IMO,it seems an ideal opportunity to amalgamate.
If you can think of a new twist,it may warrant new sub forum topics for the UK sections...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 01:56 AM   #16
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
I'll be off to the F30 forum soon!
      10-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #17
Subzero2003
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

As good a resource (which it really was) and nice as everyone on E46zone was, many of the members "styling tastes" and attitudes to running their car were.... erm....not really the same as mine...

I even had a member send me PM's threatening me, after he posted that his tyres were completely worn because he couldn't afford new ones, and i suggested he maybe get rid of his car because he obviously hasn't got the money to keep up with the running costs of a BMW at the moment...

Liking E90post though so far - and not a threatening PM to speak of!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #18
dazza88
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 330d

Dont shoot me but I'm going to bump this, I was an e46 owner and was on e46zone for my 3 years of ownership. Don't want to pull people away from here as obviously it is a great and VERY knowledgeable site.

I know on here we have the off topic banter and classified ads section but when it comes to organising meets, keeping a photo progress thread etc there isn't anywhere dedicated for it.

It is still a ghost town over there but if it ever took off like e46zone it could be a great place to be dedicated to just uk owners.

Like I say I'm not trying to move owners from here to there just suggesting an alternative for us uk owners and in no way is the site linked to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #19
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

So your argument for going to a dead forum is that the are lots of different sections? Just post the meets up here.

I admin another site but still post meets etc here...
      12-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #20
dazza88
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
So your argument for going to a dead forum is that the are lots of different sections? Just post the meets up here.

I admin another site but still post meets etc here...
I wouldn't like to call it an 'argument' as such just all other cars I have owned i've been on several different forums "uk" based and "worldwide" based so thought I would bump this to see if we could get a bit more action on there.

I'm not trying to tell people to leave here and join there as that would be pure stupidness as this is a great site and very informative site just thought it would be nice to have just a uk based site.

When I owned my e46 I was on several sites- e46zone, e46fanatics, BMWforums etc. I know they were all BMW related but all had there different uses.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 11:48 PM   #21
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
I'll be off to the F30 forum soon!
can't wait for you to leave!

i miss your pics babes!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #22
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Ok this thread has really made me think something is missing in my life. So last week I took the plunge and joined an AA meeting. Lots of interesting people. Some talking more sense than others. But overall its been great. If anyone wants to come down. Give me a shout.
Appreciate 0