E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > i-drive feedback....

12-21-2007, 10:25 AM   #23
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerx View Post
My family absolutely love it. My wife even said that iDrive will be a must on our future Bimmers.
I agree, because for $45K+ I am not sticking either of my Garmins on the windshield.

Doesn't change the fact that it is horrible.
2016 F10 535i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 10:30 AM   #24
TYW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: - 335i Coupe - Monaco / Saddle

Everyone always forgets to look at the total package when considering an OEM navigation system. Being in IT for way too many years, and having tested and designed user interfaces (UI), there are always trade-offs weighed between the user, the application, and hardware. This is why the iPhone/iPod Touch has won such praise… a very well balanced design.

Sure, from a pure software view, the iDrive UI could be changed to make it more intuitive, but this would require more buttons and/or touch capabilities. Just look at the center stack and console of any Audi with nav (below)… way to cluttered in my opinion. And from the driver’s perspective, touch just doesn’t make sense (i.e. dangerous) which is why most OEM navs have limited input while driving (a big positive for iDrive!).

In my 2008 coupe, I don’t see speed being an issue and it has never locked up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 11:10 AM   #25
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

The concept is not just good -- it's absolutely necessary. It's too cumbersome to handle so many functions through push-buttons, dials and levers. ( Just look at the non-iDrive implementation through the turn signal and dashboard display.) The iDrive implementation has been less good: there's no good reason to make it difficult to do the ordinary things people do when driving, like adjust the HVAC or the radio. But it's getting better, and I'm sure it will continue to improve (witness the customizable buttons in the latest version). The other difficulty with a built-in nav is that it is frozen technology, while the portable units continue to get better and cheaper. Some of the newer Garmin units have such good battery life that they don't even need to be plugged in during use, and they are small and light enough to remove and use on foot or in another car. That's a big advantage. The windshield mounts suck (literally, too), but there are other solutions that are less unaesthetic. If an iPod can be connected and operated through i-Drive, other devices, like nav, could in principle be handled the same way, to the customer's great advantage.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 11:33 AM   #26
The Cleaner
Thats all you need to know.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 , 2016 X5

iDrive is very good, most that bad mouth it have not owned it. Touch screens are impossible to use accurately when moving, button driven systems have the same problem, I can manage the iDrive system down several levels without looking at the screen, that can not be said for any other system I have seen.

iDrive is one of the best solutions to date.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 11:42 AM   #27
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
iDrive is very good, most that bad mouth it have not owned it. Touch screens are impossible to use accurately when moving, button driven systems have the same problem, I can manage the iDrive system down several levels without looking at the screen, that can not be said for any other system I have seen.

iDrive is one of the best solutions to date.
Umm..no. Sorry, it's not. Go try some others.

There's no reason I should have to putz with the iDrive knob for 15-20 seconds to tweak the bass a little on a song I like.
2016 F10 535i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 11:45 AM   #28
EastCoast335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 | 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKE2008 View Post
IMHO, if you are under 50 and grew up knowing how to use a computer, iDrive shouldn't be hard at all to figure out. Both my parents have BMWs with iDrive (they're in their 50s) and can use it easily. It is very intuitive, and after messing around with it for 30 minutes or so, you'll get the hang of it.
Exactly... I think everyone who rags on the i-drive system grew up before computers were as mainstream as it is in our everyday lives today...

Personally i think i-drive is great! if i could only pick one option for my car this would have easily been it.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 11:49 AM   #29
Gig103
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tesla P85D

Funny you mention Audi of all of all the other nav systems, only because the same magazines that pan iDrive love Audi MMI. And I would say that the Audi system is easy to use. I've only had a demo of iDrive, and I found it also easy and intuitive; the difference is the first and second tier menus, compared to the four corner-buttons. But the 4point main menu makes more sense than 8 buttons, so you don't have to look down.

Aside from all the options in the iMenu, the best part of iDrive compared to the Audi, from the demo I got at a dealership, is the ability to put a map on the Assistance Window. Audi's 'assistance window' is between the tach & speedo, which is good for navigation arrows or your trip computer, but it doesn't give as much information or a map.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 11:50 AM   #30
cQ roMan
3Dirty5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Garage List
2007 335 Coupe  [0.00]
I-drive is great!
i was a little skeptical at first when i was ordering it because of all the bad reviews. I would have been so pissed off if i didnt order it.
i would never get another bmw without it!!!!!!
      12-21-2007, 11:51 AM   #31
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast335i View Post
Exactly... I think everyone who rags on the i-drive system grew up before computers were as mainstream as it is in our everyday lives today...
That's nice. You would however be incorrect.
2016 F10 535i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 11:55 AM   #32
The Cleaner
Thats all you need to know.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 , 2016 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMD View Post
Umm..no. Sorry, it's not. Go try some others.

There's no reason I should have to putz with the iDrive knob for 15-20 seconds to tweak the bass a little on a song I like.
I have other systems Nuvi to be specific and they are no place close to iDrive in ease of use when moving. I have also used Honda and Toyota, both are not even in the same class as iDrive. To many buttons for me.

It's to bad your iDrive system is so crippled, my iDrive can do a change in the base in about 3-4 seconds (menu button, and a couple clicks) and I can get to it without looking, thats the part I really like. You might want to get your system looked at.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 12:11 PM   #33
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
I have other systems Nuvi to be specific and they are no place close to iDrive in ease of use when moving. I have also used Honda and Toyota, both are not even in the same class as iDrive. To many buttons for me.

It's to bad your iDrive system is so crippled, my iDrive can do a change in the base in about 3-4 seconds (menu button, and a couple clicks) and I can get to it without looking, thats the part I really like. You might want to get your system looked at.
You're a funny guy.

Tell me honestly, if you have the map in the left hand window with the radio running, how many seconds would it take you to adjust the bass and then revert to the map again. You can use voice commands if you want. Also, you cannot use the preset buttons.

I'm going to bet that you cannot do it in less than 15 seconds. More if you do it by voice. That is unnacceptable for mundane every day procedures like adjusting bass, balance etc.

How many seconds (minutes likely) would it take to enter in a new destination into your iDrive - again you can use voice commands if you want. I challenge you to do it in under a minute - something which on any Garmin can be done in under 15 secs.

I don't know what the ultimate solution is but since this forum is for helping other owners and prospective owners, I'm telling them that it is woefully inadequate.

Now go time those two tasks for the board, don't practice now.
2016 F10 535i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 12:32 PM   #34
jimi_hoffa
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Alpine White M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMD View Post
You're a funny guy.

Tell me honestly, if you have the map in the left hand window with the radio running, how many seconds would it take you to adjust the bass and then revert to the map again. You can use voice commands if you want. Also, you cannot use the preset buttons.

I'm going to bet that you cannot do it in less than 15 seconds. More if you do it by voice. That is unnacceptable for mundane every day procedures like adjusting bass, balance etc.

How many seconds (minutes likely) would it take to enter in a new destination into your iDrive - again you can use voice commands if you want. I challenge you to do it in under a minute - something which on any Garmin can be done in under 15 secs.

I don't know what the ultimate solution is but since this forum is for helping other owners and prospective owners, I'm telling them that it is woefully inadequate.

Now go time those two tasks for the board, don't practice now.
You mentioned something about fanboyism being unacceptable, however you are basically exactly the same, just in the opposite direction. Let it go already, no reason to be so bent out of shape. If you don't like IDrive don't buy it again, or sell your car. There is no reason to attack everyone else's opinion on it just because you dislike it so much. Calm down .. breathe.

For the record, I love it. It's my not be the most intuitive of all the navis on the market, however IDrive is not just about Nav. For me the IPod inegration seals the deal. I use navi about twice a week, at most, however I use the large screen to browse my IPod, FM and SAT radio, address book on my cell phone, etc, at least an hour EVERY day. IDrive is a total package, with very sleek integration. The POI thing bugs the hell out of me, but I get by. I'd rather take an extra 25 seconds to find my POI, than have a aftermarket unit(I don't care how cool it is), sitting, out of place, on my dash or attached to my windshield. Just my humble opinion though.

Second for the record, the gentleman who stated the IDrive could accept 12000 commands a second or whatever .... you're an idiot.

That is all.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 12:42 PM   #35
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

Thanks for all the input guys. I will definitely be getting iDrive when I order my 3. Still from what I've seen and read, I bet the navi system in my old TSX was way better than the Bimmer's. The interface was super smooth and there were three options for entering any data: Button, touchscreen, and voice. Having each sub-menu accessible by its own button eliminates alot of the clunkiness of using just one interface knob. I also really wish iDrive had a touchscreen. For $50k+ you'd think they could make one! Still, I love the idea of two split screens and can see how that would make some mundane operations more easily accessible.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 12:43 PM   #36
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi_hoffa View Post
You mentioned something about fanboyism being unacceptable, however you are basically exactly the same, just in the opposite direction. Let it go already, no reason to be so bent out of shape. If you don't like IDrive don't buy it again, or sell your car. There is no reason to attack everyone else's opinion on it just because you dislike it so much. Calm down .. breathe.
The opposite of fanboyism is objectivism. I am on no crusade and would never own a BMW without an integrated nav system. My next one will have it and so will the one after.

I am certainly not 'bent out of shape' but if you perceive me to be so, it is most certainly due to the unsubstantiated drivel being spread around on E90Post about how iDrive is: the best in the known universe - in any vehicle, and wisdom like 'if you hate iDrive you are A: dumb, B: old, C: don't own one, D: computer illiterate.

None of which is true.

I was once a huge fan, vehemently defending the ultimate in vehicle GUI integration against all 'haters'. You can search back and find the threads.

After two years though, I came around and realised it is horrible.

<edit> I just tried changing the bass from the map screen and back to the map screen. 25 seconds. To change the bass a little. Yes I could probably do it a little faster but still. Unnacceptable.
2016 F10 535i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 01:18 PM   #37
thekewl1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

it's hard to say because in many ways iDrive has so many good features, but some are just poorly implemented IMHO. I like the fact that it removes the clutter from the dash and allows you to control your interaction with the vehicle with the knob. It takes a little getting use to but the menu navigation is pretty intuitive.

My biggest gripe about iDrive is the poor implemenation of the navigation system. While the basic features of the navigation system works like a charm, the search capabilities are useless. It is impossible to find anything unless you know the address or intersection...what gives?

I've used many other nav systems before and their ability to search for the nearest POI are remarkable...and it's not just one company...almost all of them allow you to search for a POI with no problems. BMWs NAV is by far the worst performer in this category.

I'm not going to give up on iDrive because of this because the other aspects of iDrive are worth the $$. I just wish the iDrive developers would take a giant step back and consider re-doing the navigation POI search for future releases. They need to own and use the darn thing daily so they know what all of us are going through.

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 02:30 PM   #38
japac1
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
I am sure stand-alone Navi's are superior to I-drive, but the overall functionality of the system outweighs this fact. I have a loaner now that doesn't have i-drive and I was considerably lost trying to figure things out. I am coming from Lexus, where I absolutely love the touch screen navi, but I love that I can program destinations on my bimmer while driving...
      12-21-2007, 02:47 PM   #39
hj058
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 335i

[QUOTE=SteveMD;1854026]
Since then I have been in many other cars with similar interfaces. iDrive is truly the worst. Even the Nav on our family's '03 S Class is better. So are systems on 'lesser' vehicles like the 07 Camry and a buddies Buick Ranier SUV. There's now no excuse.

are you serious?? i hate the command system on our 04 S class... there is just way too much buttons...i drive is definitly a better design...
      12-21-2007, 04:09 PM   #40
johnnymu
Warranty Killer
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: Nike shoe

Everyone just keep saying the samething over and over again. 'I like idrive it just takes some time getting use to it", I hate other touch screen navi cause too many buttons". Well, perhaps you just gotta get use to it.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 10:07 PM   #41
dan.cuando
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90

I will have to agree with steve, I think idrive is rubbish. I've had this car over 1 year now and the idrive is horrible. First of all I hate how the knob "kicks back" when you're going down a long list. I'm not stupid I know I’m at the end of the list, no need to tell me. I know progman helps with the speed, and I did get it updated, but man is this interface slow. When changing from maps to cd menu, I will always pull up the set up menu.

From maps I will press "menu, pull down for entertainment, push down to select cd" and I usually do it pretty quickly

but the car only reads "menu and pushing down" giving me the set up menu. I mean the system doesn't even have to be light Lightning quick, but it just has to know what I’ve pressed.

Now with the navi, it might be the worst thing I’ve ever used. first lets start with the guidance, when the little arrows pop up it's suppose to show how the intersection looks like and what street to turn it. For a normal 2 street intersection it's fine, but when it's 3-4 intersections really close together or if there’s 3 - 4 streets coming out of the intersection, it's crap looks nothing like where you're suppose to turn.
Christmas season is about to be over, and I've never hated it more. Took me more than 15 mins in the mall parking lot to find the nearest Toys R us and when I did find where it was listed, It directed me into a neighborhood, the POI was about a mile off. This happened 5 more times through out this Christmas season. What's the point of a navi if it only gets you within a mile of your destination?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 09:21 AM   #42
Rydeyz
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan.cuando View Post
From maps I will press "menu, pull down for entertainment, push down to select cd" and I usually do it pretty quickly
but the car only reads "menu and pushing down" giving me the set up menu. I mean the system doesn't even have to be light Lightning quick, but it just has to know what I’ve pressed.
Did you know that if you just highlight the small navi window, you can hold the controller up, down, or right to get to the same items that you would get to by hitting the menu button... only, you skip that step. I figured this out the other day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan.cuando View Post
...the POI was about a mile off. This happened 5 more times through out this Christmas season. What's the point of a navi if it only gets you within a mile of your destination?
You know, Columbus would have been ecstatic to have only been a mile off...
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 11:16 AM   #43
GetSomeE92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky View Post
I have the I-drive in my 335 and a Garmin Nuvi 660 in my e46 330. The
Garmin is by far, the better of the two systems. Try doing a POI search
with the I-drive...it takes much longer. Try finding Pep Boys or Autozone...
I couldn't. If BMW could only fix the POI search by just spelling out the
name and not catagorizing it, it would work much better
. The I-drive's
other functions other than the nav, works okay.
Just do the A-Z search, not the categroy search. Works great for me ('09 coupe).
Appreciate 0