E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Audi Q5 or RR Evoque or??

02-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #23
Snooky
Major
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback Carbon Blac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
I think you will struggle to get 37mpg from the Petrol. My Ed 35 says it does 35mpg and even driven really gently struggles to make 30mpg on my 25 mile mixed commute. Understand my engine is older technology the unit from the mark 5 golf but even still best I have ever got from it was 32mpg!

Plus the diesel is surely going to have a much wider 2nd hand market??

And to answer the original question what about a Tiguan R? There seems to be some mega deals on them at the moment and imo one of the best looking 4x4s plus the 170bhp package is a better fit in the smaller car.
Thanks Peter. I was thinking of a PCP and I was going to ask if the GFV was considerably lower in the petrol version!

The book suggests 38.7mpg combined in our A4 and we have averaged 30.5mpg in the 32k miles done so far and that is with lots of short journeys (school run etc). My experience of VAG engines is that with my commute I get to within c.15% of the advertised mpg. I was happy enough, given my wifes daily journeys, to get within 25%ish on her current car.
      02-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #24
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooky View Post
Thanks Peter. I was thinking of a PCP and I was going to ask if the GFV was considerably lower in the petrol version!

The book suggests 38.7mpg combined in our A4 and we have averaged 30.5mpg in the 32k miles done so far and that is with lots of short journeys (school run etc). My experience of VAG engines is that with my commute I get to within c.15% of the advertised mpg. I was happy enough, given my wifes daily journeys, to get within 25%ish on her current car.
Our Skoda Diesels have always been with 10% but the Golf finds it difficult to break 30mpg, most owners struggle to get early 20s so clearly I do not try hard enough!
      02-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #25
marlie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrogmbh View Post
More like "Why" an X6?

They have to be one of the ugliest, most pointless vehicles on the market today.

Apologies to anyone who owns one.

No offence taken
      02-26-2013, 05:09 AM   #26
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

Lot's of very good responses so I'll try to answer them all.

Mike, yes your right Mrs G won't really use the extra power during the week but we'll also be using this car for longer trips and family duties so fully loaded on a long schlep I'd prefer the more powerful engine. Besides we only do about 10k miles per year so the extra fuel costs will be negligible so it would be rude not to

I did also consider the 2 litre petrol as mpg isn't too bad for the mileage we do but as others have stated, people expect SUV's to have a diesel engine. Not a problem if I am going to lease it and hand it back but if I buy it, then depreciation seems to be massively more on petrol SUV's.

Not really considered an XC60, will take a look but rightly or wrongly, I'm not massively sold on the whole Volvo brand.

Touareg is a good shout but just a bit too large for our requirements I think. I know the smaller SUV's seem to command a premium which is madness but I don't want the car to be that big for reasons quoted in my original post.

Looked at Cayenne Diesels to which are VERY nice but again they might be a bit too big for our requirements and I am sure Porsche running costs will be a step above the other choices here. I do think the facelift one's post 2010 are one of the nicest looking SUV type vehicles though. I've got a few months to make a decision so I'll be going to look at most of the choices mentioned though to see if I can find one that fits.

Strangely enough there don't seem to be as many good lease or PCP deals on SUV's as there are on lots of other cars, not really sure why?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 06:21 AM   #27
Mart1000
Capt Slow
Rep
Drives: Leon FR Supercopa

I love the look of the Evoque, but they are a lot of money for not really a lot of car. The 2.2 seems underpowered they need to fit the Jag 3 litre oil burner. I've heard (I've only sat in one) that the sat nav etc is really old hat but the audio is pretty good.

The Q5 looks nice, especially the brand new ones.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 06:30 AM   #28
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
I looked at both of these last time round and as others have said, both cars have really small boots.

You need to go and have a look for yourself but as a "family car" boot space alone seems to rule it out.

There was also the small matter of the interior of the Evoque feeling "cheap" which really surprised me after all the good things I had read about it
      02-26-2013, 06:36 AM   #29
Surfatwork
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

have you considered a Lexus RX?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #30
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640i MSport Coupe

Agree about the cheap feeling interior of the Evoque - friends have one and their kids have given it a right hammering already!

I've always liked the Q5 but whenever I've looked at them they are just too small and expensive for what they offer - if theres a good deal available then I'm sure they're worth a look.

XC60 - look good on paper but not so good in the metal. Quality seems a bit lacking and the engines are pretty poor on mpg.

If you like the Cayenne then the Touareg has to be worth a look - same vehicle underneath, but with VW purchasing and servicing costs!!

Tiguan has never done it for me - a bit too mini-Touareg - but my sister likes hers..

Personally I wouldn't consider one of these with manual transmission, it just doesnt seem to suit the vehicle...if you're the same then that may make it difficult to find a decent price on a Q5.

As for the general lack of good c/hire or lease deals on SUV's...well thats because they are in demand so don't need to!!

hth

Edited to add: btw, REAL WORLD mpg for the current Touareg is 30 for stop-start, around town, with 35 or more easily attainable on a run. Thats the 245PS V6 TDi. They also do a 204PS which is supposed to give you another couple of mpg's....

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #31
Guvernator
Captain
Rep

Interesting, I didn't really want a "full size" SUV but it may be that we won't have much choice. Still we've always been quite economical with our space usage (we currently use an E93 or a small hatchback) and I just can't get my head around how some families seem to carry half the house with them when they go somewhere so it might be that the smaller SUV's would be ok for us, luggage space wise.

I'll need to have a good look around, the Touareg's look lovely but I am also getting drawn more and more to a used Cayenne, some look especially good value and it would always be nice to have a Porsche on the drive

I'm going to end up spending far too much on this "family wagon" aren't I?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 07:52 AM   #32
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvernator View Post
Interesting, I didn't really want a "full size" SUV but it may be that we won't have much choice. Still we've always been quite economical with our space usage (we currently use an E93 or a small hatchback) and I just can't get my head around how some families seem to carry half the house with them when they go somewhere so it might be that the smaller SUV's would be ok for us, luggage space wise.

I'll need to have a good look around, the Touareg's look lovely but I am also getting drawn more and more to a used Cayenne, some look especially good value and it would always be nice to have a Porsche on the drive

I'm going to end up spending far too much on this "family wagon" aren't I?
If not an SUV how about a big hatch.

Whilst I am convinced that my A7 is probably the best family car I have ever seen mainly down to it's large hatch back, the same argument could apply to the Audi A5 Sportback (both with or without Quattro) or then there is the BMW 5GT which again has tons of room and a massive boot but is still a car rather than a glorified minivan
      02-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #33
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
I'd get the Q5 just for its extra towing capacity over the RR.
      02-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #34
Guvernator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m@rk View Post
If not an SUV how about a big hatch.

Whilst I am convinced that my A7 is probably the best family car I have ever seen mainly down to it's large hatch back, the same argument could apply to the Audi A5 Sportback (both with or without Quattro) or then there is the BMW 5GT which again has tons of room and a massive boot but is still a car rather than a glorified minivan
Nice out of the box suggestion and apologies if this offends but I can't stand this new generation of "largish hatchbacks". I'm sure they are decent enough cars and very practical but I find the 5 GT positively offensive to look at. The Audi's are slightly less awkward looking but none of them are beautys in my humble opinion.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #35
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nice out of the box suggestion and apologies if this offends but I can't stand this new generation of "largish hatchbacks". I'm sure they are decent enough cars and very practical but I find the 5 GT positively offensive to look at. The Audi's are slightly less awkward looking but none of them are beautys in my humble opinion.
Fair enough but I would never go as far as calling a Q5 pretty either
      02-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #36
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

Freelander would be a much better family car than the evoque. It also for the most part has the same running gear etc..

The v6 petrol models are awesome and really undervalued. They also tend to be driven by more careful/enthusiastic owners than the diesel. If you do a low mileage, this makes a lot of sense over buying newer leasing...
      02-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #37
Guvernator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m@rk View Post
Fair enough but I would never go as far as calling a Q5 pretty either
True true but they aren't offensive either, just a bit bland.

As for the Freelander, I do like the look of them but are they also not rather large? The idea is that it has to be compact enough for my missus to be able to drive\park it comfortably in London without playing "bumper cars".
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 07:58 AM   #38
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
True true but they aren't offensive either, just a bit bland.

As for the Freelander, I do like the look of them .
There is the small matter that the dashboard appears to be straight out of a 10 year old Ford Mondeo. LCD displays with green backlighting
      02-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #39
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Freelander can't be any bigger than an X3/Q5 etc ..... haven't actually looked it up but thats my perception.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #40
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

i saw the new q5s on the road today. connecting LED front and rear - looked awesome.
i then built one on audiusa.com when i got to work.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 04:36 AM   #41
stupot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40d MSport, 21" wheels

My wife replaced her 320d coupe with a Q5 a few years ago.

2.0 170tdi Auto Sline SE with a nav pack, heated seats, tinted glass. Sline SE already has B and O Hifi, bluetooth, electric tailgate, 20's. £40k list, ended up around £36k after discount.

We looked at replacing it with an Evoke when it came out, but it is a good deal smaller and was £44k to similar spec, with no discount at that time. So we decided no.

Pluses - Audi has great interior quality, looks quite classy and has held its value well. It’s not as sharp as a BM to drive, but not to a level that’s a problem.

Minus - 2.0 170 is a little underpowered, although it’s much, much better now with 10,000 miles on. Only doing around 30mpg on mostly short trips.3.0tdi drives way better and wont be any worse on fuel, but is a lot dearer and isn’t the one the dealer wants back to resell.

If ive missed anything happy to answer any questions.

Stu.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #42
CHG
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A Variety of 4 Wheeled Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupot View Post
My wife replaced her 320d coupe with a Q5 a few years ago.

2.0 170tdi Auto Sline SE with a nav pack, heated seats, tinted glass. Sline SE already has B and O Hifi, bluetooth, electric tailgate, 20's. £40k list, ended up around £36k after discount.

We looked at replacing it with an Evoke when it came out, but it is a good deal smaller and was £44k to similar spec, with no discount at that time. So we decided no.

Pluses - Audi has great interior quality, looks quite classy and has held its value well. It’s not as sharp as a BM to drive, but not to a level that’s a problem.

Minus - 2.0 170 is a little underpowered, although it’s much, much better now with 10,000 miles on. Only doing around 30mpg on mostly short trips.3.0tdi drives way better and wont be any worse on fuel, but is a lot dearer and isn’t the one the dealer wants back to resell.

If ive missed anything happy to answer any questions.

Stu.
This is interesting...F rom your photo, mine will be practically identical apart from being the facelift!

What are your opinions on the B&O btw?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #43
stupot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40d MSport, 21" wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHG View Post
This is interesting...F rom your photo, mine will be practically identical apart from being the facelift!

What are your opinions on the B&O btw?
Very good bar one thing, no where near the bass you would expect. Quality is stunning, from top to mid base, but no sub bass.

I’m no boom boom boy racer, but it disappointed me with the lack of punch. The bass is handled by a tiny subwoofer that sits in a plastic doughnut in the centre of the spare wheel well. It’s just not up to the job.

I’ve fixed the problem without messing with the car wiring as its still under warranty, its easy fixed. Tap into the feed the sub is getting from the car and get a 10" or 12" sub in a box or tube. You can buy them with a built in amp and you have a seriously good sounding system.

The DAB radio is also worth a mention, it wasn’t something I would have thought about before and came as standard on SLine SE, but is amazing. Great sound quality and much bigger choice of stations. A must.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #44
Ajerthan
Bimmaaaa
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 325  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrogmbh View Post
More like "Why" an X6?

They have to be one of the ugliest, most pointless vehicles on the market today.

Apologies to anyone who owns one.
Thought same thing until i sat drove a 2013 X6M the other day. Monster Truck! Loved it.

InstaGram: Ajerthan
Appreciate 0