E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Can 6NF be retrofitted??

11-17-2010, 11:41 PM   #23
boxy
Rep
Drives: E46 E84 E87 R56

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunsuk View Post

6NF baseplate
connecting 6NF to AUX wire and USB wire

iPhone Snap-in adapter 65 ** * *** 683

iPhone 3GS integration successful !

Can you show us what was done to make it work?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 09:49 AM   #24
330DJay
Rep
Drives: 330D M-Sport Le-Mans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxy View Post
Must be a secret!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 09:58 AM   #25
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxy View Post
This is apparently not an 6NF retrofit.

If what he stated is read literally, he just connected the 6NF baseplate AUX and USB pins to the corresponding 6FL AUX and USB wires right there in the console.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 11:19 PM   #26
boxy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post

If what he stated is read literally, he just connected the 6NF baseplate AUX and USB pins to the corresponding 6FL AUX and USB wires right there in the console.
Would this work without the USB HUB? Do you know if the USB cradle includes the function of a Y cable since the standard 6FL terminals need Y cable to integrate the Iphone's analog and digital signals, which is important to control the Iphone interface?

I have ordered the USB base plate to enable similar function on a X1. Any of such information will be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 11:20 PM   #27
boxy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330DJay View Post
Must be a secret!
Black magic~
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 09:07 AM   #28
330DJay
Rep

Quote:

If my baseplate did have USB pins for the snap in adaptor to connect to, I would connect them to the USB socket on the console, then I could play music from the phone when its in the adaptor.

I can't see the downside to this, even with 6NF it's not possible to use the USB socket AND the snap in adaptor simultaeneously anyway.

Trouble is my baseplate has only plastic stubs where the pins would be.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #29
energy
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 325i LCI

i have the same issue. bought a iphone 3g snap in adapter (84 212 158 683) but realized that my 09 325 LCI does not have 6NF.
how to make iphone play music while in craddle?
please share step by step instructions.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 03:46 PM   #30
CrimsonIvy35i
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6 M

What's 6nf?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 04:02 PM   #31
330DJay
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonIvy35i View Post
What's 6nf?
It's the option BMW annoyingly called "bluetooth smartphone integration" in their brochures, leading me (and a few others) to believe it had nothing to do with the snap in adaptor for iphones.
In reality it provides a USB connection between a phone in the USB cradle and the car, so you can play music from a phone in the cradle.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 04:37 PM   #32
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Came across this thread whilst looking at whether it was possible to retrofit 6NF. I can't believe that people were complaining about the information black hole re. 6NF years ago and BMW still haven't sorted it out!!

Ordered my X3 in Oct 2010 and the dealer didn't even mention it and I didn't consider it really because the brochure said (and the online config still says now) "this option comes as standard with any bluetooth option" - it doesn't!! It's £70 and I spent £2500 on pro sat nav without realising I'd need any more. Annoying although not the end of the world as I ordered too early for 6NR, and I use my iPod Nano for music not my iPhone 4 - but I would have liked to have the option

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 04:25 AM   #33
stile
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 318d

me too...

Hi, let me firstly say hello, as I am new to this forum. I own my 2010 E90 for just a few days and I bought it as a 1 year old - so I am not sure what comms options I have installed? I must have something as I've got the iPhone 4 craddle and it works very well as a phone (integrates smoothly with iDrive).
But... I as most of you here was expecting that full iPhone integration is just a formality, and thinking that ran into the 6NF brick wall
Furthermore I can't seem to get an iPod Touch to cooperate either (tried connecting it to the armrest usb port via the standard Apple cable) and have yet to see if a Nano would work.
In one of the previous posts I read about a Y-cable of some sort that can be used as a workaround, but I am not familiar with this method... Does it provide integration with the Steering wheel controls?
Apologies if my post is somewhat chaotic or not clear, but as I mentioned above its my first...
Regards
stile
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 07:01 AM   #34
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Full OEM Combox retrofit: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537592

- dual channel Bleutooth
- iPod/USB adapter (6FL) with Album Art
- Smartphone Integration with BMW Apps (6NR, no baseplate required)
- iPod Out/PlugIn
- Internet
- Software upgradable-ready (feature currently available in Europe, not yet in the USA)

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 03:36 PM   #35
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

I haven't seen anyone mention Pandora when discussing 6NF. I assume that the Pandora interface is part of the other HW and is not actually part of the 6NF hardware?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 04:51 PM   #36
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
I haven't seen anyone mention Pandora when discussing 6NF. I assume that the Pandora interface is part of the other HW and is not actually part of the 6NF hardware?
Pandora is part of the BMW Apps and it is now fully accessible thru 6NR. It is quite nice, much better quality and interface than Sirius and that's the free version (128kps). The paid-subscription (some $40 a year) is 192kps...

You can listen to Pandora with 6FL but no display and no control.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 05:56 PM   #37
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

You can listen to Pandora with 6FL but no display and no control.
I can't use it on my iP4 through my 6FL Dock Connector - it starts and switches right back to iPod. I have to use the AUX jack.

But I'd rather have the Apps screen anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 06:23 PM   #38
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
I can't use it on my iP4 through my 6FL Dock Connector - it starts and switches right back to iPod. I have to use the AUX jack.

But I'd rather have the Apps screen anyway.
Try starting it and then plug it in using the OEM iPod cable. It could take several tries but the 6FL will switch to AUX and low level audio will go thru...

It even works like that with the VW MDI iPod adapter.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 12:00 AM   #39
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I have.

If I start it after I connect the dock cable, and press Play TWICE, the second time it will USUALLY keep playing - until I get a phone call. After the phone call, it won't play from the App no matter how many times I press Play on the Pandora App - I probably have to unplug and reconnect, but I am not going to do that every time the damned phone rings. It's somewhat hard to do with that short a cable. I'd rather upgrade the hardware and have it work right. Besides, once we upgrade mine, we will undoubtedly be asked to upgrade client's hardware...
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 10:39 AM   #40
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Pandora is part of the BMW Apps and it is now fully accessible thru 6NR. It is quite nice, much better quality and interface than Sirius and that's the free version (128kps). The paid-subscription (some $40 a year) is 192kps...
I don't think you can get the 192kbps version via mobile.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #41
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Quote:
I don't think you can get the 192kbps version via mobile.
I'm not sure what the "Higher Quality" audio setting is, but I use it.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #42
TerryTibbs
3er
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 318i Sport Plus

Just to confirm, 6NF simply provides USB integration with the eject box?

On a non i-drive setup (professional radio), that has USB connectivity and the eject box, how hard is it to DIY hook up the eject box to the USB connection?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #43
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryTibbs View Post
Just to confirm, 6NF simply provides USB integration with the eject box?

On a non i-drive setup (professional radio), that has USB connectivity and the eject box, how hard is it to DIY hook up the eject box to the USB connection?

Thanks.
No, that's the WHOLE confusing point. 6NF is j(more or less) the eject box unit. 6FL is the connection system for USB abilities. They're two separate systems, but may use a single electronic unit, MULF2-High (part # 84109207360).

Now, I'm addressing non-Drive. (iDrive or BMW's SOS assist folks may need additional, different components or BMW's SOS assist)
  • If your car is "pre-wired" for SA640, you have all the wires to install the hardware components to make your phone system work.
  • If your car is "pre-wired" for SA644, you have all the wires to install the hardware components to make your USB system work.

After 2008 or so, BMW stopped installing "pre-wire' system into E9X cars. If anyone then wanted one, they world need to order a retrofit kit which comes with necessary components and harnesses. Together with labor and part costs, it supersedes the value of having the feature if done by the dealership.

As mentioned before, the cradle allows use and communication of the phone via bluetooth and provides power to the phone. but you cannot use it to play music. You can switch to the Y-adaptor (USB and AUX-In plugs) for use and listen of the stored music content in the phone. (I hope I understand the entire issue and available line level.) It too provides power to the phone.

Unfortunately, there is NO system that integrates the two -dumb. (at least from my understanding) If I'm incorrect, anyone please correct me. I would love to figure it out too.

From my readings, I'm not entirely sure if this is a regional issue because folks like you have different features offered when compared to USA (myself) and Asian markets.

I write this in hopes that I too can "retrofit" my phone and USB system install correctly by using the correct parts. Then I can have the car's system coded by my local coder.
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s

Last edited by Thumperx; 04-10-2012 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #44
TerryTibbs
3er
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 318i Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperx View Post
No, that's the WHOLE confusing point. 6NF is j(more or less) the eject box unit. 6FL is the connection system for USB abilities. They're two separate systems, but may use a single electronic unit, MULF2-High (part # 84109207360).

Now, I'm addressing non-Drive. (iDrive or BMW's SOS assist folks may need additional, different components or BMW's SOS assist)
  • If your car is "pre-wired" for SA640, you have all the wires to install the hardware components to make your phone system work.
  • If your car is "pre-wired" for SA644, you have all the wires to install the hardware components to make your USB system work.

After 2008 or so, BMW stopped installing "pre-wire' system into E9X cars. If anyone then wanted one, they world need to order a retrofit kit which comes with necessary components and harnesses. Together with labor and part costs, it supersedes the value of having the feature if done by the dealership.

As mentioned before, the cradle allows use and communication of the phone via bluetooth and provides power to the phone. but you cannot use it to play music. You can switch to the Y-adaptor (USB and AUX-In plugs) for use and listen of the stored music content in the phone. (I hope I understand the entire issue and available line level.) It too provides power to the phone.

Unfortunately, there is NO system that integrates the two -dumb. (at least from my understanding) If I'm incorrect, please correct me. I would love to figure it out too.

From my readings, I'm not entirely sure if this is a regional issue because folks like you have different features offered when compared to USA (myself) and Asian markets.

I write this in hopes that I too can "retrofit" my phone and USB system install correctly by using the correct parts. Then I can have the car's system coded by my local coder.
OK, the thing is, the car I am looking at has 644 and 6FL already.. This leads me to believe that in order to realise 6NF, it might be just a case of swapping out the eject box, a bit of trim, and possibly some USB plugs which are part of 6FL.. Seems straight forward!

I've also been informed that the car should have COMBOX even though it only has the base professional radio...

Interesting times
Appreciate 0