E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > No More Speculating - the next Airstrip Attack is Coming Soon!

11-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #507
Sick335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i / X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKH335 View Post
I don't think using a formula of A=B and B=C therefore A=C works in racing. Each race has to many variables such as bad starts engine and Trans issues traction, miss shifts etc. I would wait for the Automatic Trans issues to be resolved for both RB and Single cars and then run them for a good comp. I would have loved to run you as I even asked to line up after your race with Ken. This was before the tranny issues stayed persistent. We have a good idea on what needs to be done to resolve it and the team is working on it. The races will occur as there are always other events.
Agreed. But if A=B is clean and B=C is clean, then you can safely assume that A=C... But you are right, it doesn't happen too often in our races I would have loved to run you, but i had a lambo and M5 lined up, and wasn't gonna miss that chance. Then i threw a code running the red Z06, and the Supra, and tranny kept on getting worse. But we definitely could have put in a clean 40-130 or something... I'm not disappointed tho, my purpose of going there wasn't to compare single to twin, but to have fun and get the most of it. Everybody knows that singles can generate more power, and should be stronger top end, it's just the matter of putting that power down and building up the boost fast enough. This has been proven on multiple platforms... I'm sure we'll get a clean run in no later than next event, i'm always up for it win or lose.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #508
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Did the single turbo guys run at all? I've read zero stories on any forum other than one race with Shiv where the start got messed up. I really don't get it. Where are all the race stories and vids????????
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #509
Sick335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i / X6M

They mostly ran among each other for tuning purposes, i didn't see too much action with other cars from them.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #510
SIKH335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm
No single turbo manual cars race?
Lots of MT Single turbo car races with Captain Insano and other cars. Videos should be up shortly.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #511
SIKH335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm
Did the single turbo guys run at all? I've read zero stories on any forum other than one race with Shiv where the start got messed up. I really don't get it. Where are all the race stories and vids????????
From what I understand all vids have been forwarded to e90post. But there were a lot of great races with Peters car vs many other cars. Shivs car did run a bit. However Shiv spent the weekend primarily working on the 6AT customer cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #512
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Stage 3 B5 S4, C5 Z06

We had a great time at the event, and it was nice meeting all of you guys! Wedge that was me you raced, Tyson was in the B8 S4. Wedge's car is seriously fast, definitely the fastest stock turbo N54 that I raced. Even if I had shifted clean into 4th, I would have won by only a car or so. I definitely wasn't expecting your car to be that fast!

I was able to race the MT single turbo coupe, as well as the single turbo sedan (not sure of the transmission, but I believe it was an auto). Both of these cars edged me by what looked from my perspective to be around 2 cars (the coupe was noticeably faster, in my race at least). Sick335's RB car looked to beat me by the same distance, and I honestly felt that his car was just as fast as the singles I raced. The midrange on the RB's is very impressive.

As a perspective, some of the cars I beat include a C6 Z06 (intake and tune), 2013 GTR Black Edition, heads and cam C6, bolt on M5 and built motor turbo Integra. So these upgraded turbo N54's are certainly in an elite performance class!

Overall, a great weekend and a great time with fellow enthusiasts!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #513
Stage 2 Drew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: an SRT4 that beats ur 335 :-)

Thomas it was nice meeting and talking w you and Tyson. That was my first time meeting anyone from GIAC. Both of you guys are class acts and your company should be proud.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to come by the shop.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #514
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Stage 3 B5 S4, C5 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage 2 Drew View Post
Thomas it was nice meeting and talking w you and Tyson. That was my first time meeting anyone from GIAC. Both of you guys are class acts and your company should be proud.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to come by the shop.
Absolutely, it was a pleasure! The door is always open to come by, we have a few cool projects we are working on right now.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #515
cupertinosteve
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Thanks to Shiv and FFTEC crew for giving the 6AT single turbos a lot of love. They could have easily focused on racing other cars instead of tweaking the 6ATs.

I got to meet a lot of really great folks. It was nice to put a face to some of the screen names - which i later learned who some of these characters are.

I know CaptainInsano (6MT) was racing anything/everthing that moved and Shiv's 6MT was working pretty well.

As for who I raced, the results and race notes( you can say "EXCUSES" - hehe):
- Datsun (lost) ... clean start, but couldn't get into 5th gear
- White GTR (won) ... spun 2nd and couldn't get into 5th gear
- Blue GTR (lost) ... dropped the boost between gears and still couldn't get into 5th and misfired riding 4th gear rev limit
- Black 996TT (won) ... couldn't get into 5th gear, but no more misfire in the top of fourth
- White 335 (won) ... i botched the start (i noticed i wasn't data logging and basically missed the starting cone to get it going) then I got on it. Could not get into 5th gear and rode 4th gear redline and misfired at the tail end of the run.
- Silver 335 (won) ... was able to get into 5th gear, but missing some of the boost that was carried between shift
- White M3 (lost) ... spun 2nd and rode the rev limiter until it misfired and then coasted the rest of the run.

FYI - On the street, I never had any issues shifting between gears even when I'm able to peak at 25 PSI and hold 21 PSI between gears. I did tested the 4-5 shift a handful of times on the freeway with no issues.

FYI 2- Riding the rev limiter for 4+ seconds usually caused me to misfire. Probably not a great way to drive a car, but does make a fun log to read.

FYI 3 - no "real" codes thrown other than the rev limit riding misfire.

We are thinking we are pretty close to addressing the 4-5 shift in the 6AT, I wished I had a chance to get a clean against the M3 to test it out. On the return trip home, it seemed to work.

As for videos, I turned them over to someone else who will make them look "pretty".

I'm hoping the next event comes soon ... I should be sorted out by then.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #516
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupertinosteve View Post
We are thinking we are pretty close to addressing the 4-5 shift in the 6AT, I wished I had a chance to get a clean against the M3 to test it out. On the return trip home, it seemed to work.

As for videos, I turned them over to someone else who will make them look "pretty".

I'm hoping the next event comes soon ... I should be sorted out by then.
Nice meeting you Steve, yeah I wish we got a clean run. I ran CaptainInsane but I jumped the start and then Shiv and I had a miscommunication on the starting speed so I didn't get any good runs against the singles. I will get the vids up with with the appropriate commentary.

Hopefully we can run again at the next event.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #517
CaptainInsano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i 6MT

I'll just post exactly what I posted somewhere else:

Haha let the $#@! talking begin!

J/K

Here's my perspective.

My single turbo was running great the entire time. I didn't bring any race gas with me so I was running on half 91oct and half 100oct leaded airplane gas. Getting the gas into my car was tricky since the pump was airplane sized.

Wheelspin was a big issue for me the first day. The second day I got it together and figured out how to get a good burnout going without running over the event coordinators.

Overall, everyone was very polite and all the cars were really cool. The best part of the day for me was sitting at the beginning of the runway talking to the drivers about their cars while waiting to race. One guy shoved a single turbo ls7 into an rx-7 and was drag racing it the day after he turned the car on for the first time. He was "breaking it in" at 3psi but couldn't keep his fingers off the dial and turned it up to 8psi.

The runs I saw between Wedge and Terry were close; it was a good match-up. Something is wrong with you car Wedge, it makes way too much freaking power : ) You guys should just agree that both of your cars are really fast and that there are too many variables to argue about bumper lengths.

I don't know why so many people were having problems starting at the same time. There was only one instance where a supercharged M3 jumped the starting line, but came to apologize to me afterward. Sorry I'm terrible with names and can't link them with aliases on the internet. Really nice guy and a really fast car. I'm not sure my car would have beat yours if we had started at the same time anyways Can't wait until you post the video.

Some cars I got to race were modded GTRs, Z06s, a cool girl in a ZR1, a HPF single turbo E46 M3, a Shelby gt500, an upgraded turbo Audi owned by someone who worked for GIAC (you were cool man, I know you are on these forums), one of the 6AT single turbo 335s, and of course some supercharged M3s. I won about half the time, and that goes for the M3s as well. Except the E46 M3 with the 76mm turbo, that guy was lying about his power and upped it to 900 the next day lol.

I had a bunch of my friends there, and they were running around being rowdy and challenging people for me. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Terry, I don't know if you remember me, but I was the big read-headed kid sitting in the back of the FFTEC crowd next to the beat up white 335i. My drunk friends we're saying "he'll race you!" pointing to the 700 number on my car. You were busy talking to the other Vishnu/FFTEC guys and I was already set up to race a GTR anyways. I would have raced you man! I tried to race everyone who asked. Anytime you want a ride or maybe even want to give it a test drive let me know

My favorite run of the whole day was the very last one, against Robert in his stripped out modded Z06 corvette from Vishnu. His car weighed 3200lbs with him in it and dynoed at about the same horsepower as mine. We both spun our tires to heat them up on the way out. We hit the starting line at a dead even start and both got wheelspin (like every run, there was dust everywhere). He fishtailed hard and I remember looking sideways at him thinking "is he going to hit me?". It was surreal, and awesome. At first I thought I was going to have him, I just had more torque than he did an started pulling away. But in the top end he edged my out and beat me by about a car length. I remember looking down at the speedo at the finish line and seeing it pegged at 160 (doesn't go higher). It felt like the fastest run of the day.

Overall, one of the sickest event's I've been to. My car has now survived two hard track weekends in a row road racing at Laguna Seca and drag racing at Shift S3ctor. My tires are effed, my front left fender is held together with duct tape, and the front right fender has been evaporated into dust so now the fender is shaped like an oval. Maybe it's time for an oil change. I'm getting some custom wide-body fenders this week, then back to Laguna later in December if anyone wants to join me.
      11-12-2012, 11:22 PM   #518
cupertinosteve
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hey ... was it true that the baby blue corvette that spun his car into the dirt at the starting cone was some clown who wasn't even registered and didn't know anything other than being a douchebag?

If so, its clowns like these who get these types of events shutdown. If he got hurt, it pretty much would ensure that shift s3ctor couldn't rent the airstrip or get insurance in the future.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 11:25 PM   #519
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Hey ... was it true that the baby blue corvette that spun his car into the dirt at the starting cone was some clown who wasn't even registered and didn't know anything other than being a douchebag?

If so, its clowns like these who get these types of events shutdown. If he got hurt, it pretty much would ensure that shift s3ctor couldn't rent the airstrip or get insurance in the future.
Not true, he was registered, no one raced down the airstrip that wasn't.
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.14s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690WHP/463WTQ
Shift-S3ctor E92 M3 - 1/2 Mile Trap Speed WR - 174.13 MPH
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #520
hotrod182
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
Hey man, it was good meeting you the other day. Hope we can get together again at the next event and hang out. Wish we had more time to talk.
It was nice talking to you also. Still can't believe that drive back up to Oregon! It was also nice hanging out with all the other regulars again.

This 6AT trans thing is kind of a scary thing. Terry's car let loose right in the middle of the gear, sending the engine to redline. Is everyone else just having the problem right after the shift, or right in the middle of the gear?

Running well, the BMS 135i belted out back to back 130mph qtr mile, level vbox runs. So it makes sense that Eric's E63 and him are neck and neck on a clean run. Most 335i RBs are trapping in the 125-127mph range.

Its so hard to judge what is happening at the end of a roll on race as a spectator, because you have no idea what happened at the start, etc. For comparisons sake, get a Vbox and do a level qtr mile run, you will immediately see what range your car is trapping at. If its 125mph, you are in GTR, Z06 territory. If you are in the 130mph range, you are up there with the ZR1s, 458s, etc. Once you have the traps, you already know what you "could" do in the qtr mile with good traction.
2008 Monaco Blue JB3 2.0 335i Coupe. 11.33 @ 132.77 mph, 60-130mph: 6.95 seconds
2023 i4 M50 11.48 @ 121.56mph, 3.43 0-60 (dragy)

Last edited by hotrod182; 11-12-2012 at 11:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #521
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainInsano View Post
I'll just post exactly what I posted somewhere else:

Haha let the $#@! talking begin!

J/K

Here's my perspective.

My single turbo was running great the entire time. I didn't bring any race gas with me so I was running on half 91oct and half 100oct leaded airplane gas. Getting the gas into my car was tricky since the pump was airplane sized.

Wheelspin was a big issue for me the first day. The second day I got it together and figured out how to get a good burnout going without running over the event coordinators.

Overall, everyone was very polite and all the cars were really cool. The best part of the day for me was sitting at the beginning of the runway talking to the drivers about their cars while waiting to race. One guy shoved a single turbo ls7 into an rx-7 and was drag racing it the day after he turned the car on for the first time. He was "breaking it in" at 3psi but couldn't keep his fingers off the dial and turned it up to 8psi.

The runs I saw between Wedge and Terry were close; it was a good match-up. Something is wrong with you car Wedge, it makes way too much freaking power : ) You guys should just agree that both of your cars are really fast and that there are too many variables to argue about bumper lengths.

I don't know why so many people were having problems starting at the same time. There was only one instance where a supercharged M3 jumped the starting line, but came to apologize to me afterward. Sorry I'm terrible with names and can't link them with aliases on the internet. Really nice guy and a really fast car. I'm not sure my car would have beat yours if we had started at the same time anyways Can't wait until you post the video.

Some cars I got to race were modded GTRs, Z06s, a cool girl in a ZR1, a HPF single turbo E46 M3, a Shelby gt500, an upgraded turbo Audi owned by someone who worked for GIAC (you were cool man, I know you are on these forums), one of the 6AT single turbo 335s, and of course some supercharged M3s. I won about half the time, and that goes for the M3s as well. Except the E46 M3 with the 76mm turbo, that guy was lying about his power and upped it to 900 the next day lol.

I had a bunch of my friends there, and they were running around being rowdy and challenging people for me. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Terry, I don't know if you remember me, but I was the big read-headed kid sitting in the back of the FFTEC crowd next to the beat up white 335i. My drunk friends we're saying "he'll race you!" pointing to the 700 number on my car. You were busy talking to the other Vishnu/FFTEC guys and I was already set up to race a GTR anyways. I would have raced you man! I tried to race everyone who asked. Anytime you want a ride or maybe even want to give it a test drive let me know

My favorite run of the whole day was the very last one, against Robert in his stripped out modded Z06 corvette from Vishnu. His car weighed 3200lbs with him in it and dynoed at about the same horsepower as mine. We both spun our tires to heat them up on the way out. We hit the starting line at a dead even start and both got wheelspin (like every run, there was dust everywhere). He fishtailed hard and I remember looking sideways at him thinking "is he going to hit me?". It was surreal, and awesome. At first I thought I was going to have him, I just had more torque than he did an started pulling away. But in the top end he edged my out and beat me by about a car length. I remember looking down at the speedo at the finish line and seeing it pegged at 160 (doesn't go higher). It felt like the fastest run of the day.

Overall, one of the sickest event's I've been to. My car has now survived two hard track weekends in a row road racing at Laguna Seca and drag racing at Shift S3ctor. My tires are effed, my front left fender is held together with duct tape, and the front right fender has been evaporated into dust so now the fender is shaped like an oval. Maybe it's time for an oil change. I'm getting some custom wide-body fenders this week, then back to Laguna later in December if anyone wants to join me.
Your car did very well, and I will let the guys at Shift-S3ctor know how much you enjoyed the event, they will appreciate the kind words, it took a lot of hard work to make this happen.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 11:35 PM   #522
cupertinosteve
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSJ5 View Post
Not true, he was registered, no one raced down the airstrip that wasn't.
Good to hear ... sorry for spreading "the paddock chatter".
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 11:40 PM   #523
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good to hear ... sorry for spreading "the paddock chatter".
No worries at all, glad you enjoyed the event!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #524
CaptainInsano
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSJ5 View Post
Your car did very well, and I will let the guys at Shift-S3ctor know how much you enjoyed the event, they will appreciate the kind words, it took a lot of hard work to make this happen.
Thanks man. Your car was insane I hope to see you there next year.
      11-12-2012, 11:56 PM   #525
CaptainInsano
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas@GIAC View Post
We had a great time at the event, and it was nice meeting all of you guys! Wedge that was me you raced, Tyson was in the B8 S4. Wedge's car is seriously fast, definitely the fastest stock turbo N54 that I raced. Even if I had shifted clean into 4th, I would have won by only a car or so. I definitely wasn't expecting your car to be that fast!

I was able to race the MT single turbo coupe, as well as the single turbo sedan (not sure of the transmission, but I believe it was an auto). Both of these cars edged me by what looked from my perspective to be around 2 cars (the coupe was noticeably faster, in my race at least). Sick335's RB car looked to beat me by the same distance, and I honestly felt that his car was just as fast as the singles I raced. The midrange on the RB's is very impressive.

As a perspective, some of the cars I beat include a C6 Z06 (intake and tune), 2013 GTR Black Edition, heads and cam C6, bolt on M5 and built motor turbo Integra. So these upgraded turbo N54's are certainly in an elite performance class!

Overall, a great weekend and a great time with fellow enthusiasts!
Hey you are on all the forums! It was good to meet you man.

For my honor I must post again that I put my 450lb friend in the passenger seat during our run.

/Excuses

It couldn't have been a better day. I would recommend that anyone who can go show up. The drama of the forums doesn't exist on the race track. Hanging out with these guys and watching turbo lambos spin off the track is really what it's about.

See you there next year.

-Pete
      11-13-2012, 01:12 AM   #526
trbolexis
Private
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

I agree! None of the drama exists offline. Always a pleasure to hang out with all of you; wether in the shop, or at an event.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 01:16 AM   #527
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Here's the first vid from Bimmerpost / Shift-S3ctor, more to come...

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...1#post12986397
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 06:03 AM   #528
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

The 5th gear shift was exactly what i was experiencing as well. The car would not shift into 5th and go into limp mode with missfire. LVL10 upgrade fixed it but i am not sure after the upgrade if i was pushing the same power.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0