E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Hit a damn raccoon..

02-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #67
Thrakos
Audaces fortuna juvat
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Caveats, caveats, caveats....

Your original post just said "Swerving to avoid a raccoon? Bad idea... higher likelihood of rollover", impying that simply swerving (i.e. rapidly changing direction, not yanking the wheel almost to full lock like an SUV on a airport runway) could flip an E90; I don’t think so.
I'm not going to debate the specific definition you've put on swerving... you're being specific, I'm being general (google swerving - that should help your understanding.).

Quote:

So hitting a curb at high speed might cause a car to flip over, if the speed is right, the curb high enough, and the angle of attack is correct, but then that's usually called a "crash".
Sure... swerving to avoid a raccoon could indeed end up in a crash.. or in a collision.

Quote:

In an E90, considering the suspension breaks pretty easily, it would probably just bust up a lot of stuff.
Anytime you hit something with enough force, you can "bust up a lot of stuff"...

Quote:
Thanks for the physics lesson on the SUV/Truck scenario; but I reiterate, we are talking about a BMW sports sedan, not and SUV. And most modern SUVs built in the last 10 years or so have stability/rollover control build into the brake system to prevent rollovers anyway.
Under ideal conditions, that is true. Hit a curb or a soft shoulder.. while swerving (the general act of swerving to avoid an obstacle at a higher rate of speed), even the stability control can't help you...

Quote:
Now you throw in low tire pressure, and soft shoulders.... All E90s have TPMS
Not so.. perhaps all US models, but my Canadian model does not.

Quote:

so if a BMW driver is driving on tire pressure so low that unimpeded high-G cornering would rip the (45 or 50 series) tire off the rim; then maybe he disserves to get killed anyway.
..where did cornering come from? I thought we were talking about swerving?

Quote:

I’ll add that the speed it would take to flip an E90 on a surface road that would allow for such a high rate of speed that the likelihood of a raccoon being on the road in that environmental setting would be extremely rare.
Not so: You've neglected to include environmental factors such as time of day, road/weather conditions, visibility and driver experience, driver condition (fatigue, etc) to name but a few of rather important factors.

Quote:

Having actually flipped a car over on its roof (I’m the inaugural member of the Flip-A-Ford club - circa 1982) I’m a bit familiar with what it actually takes to end up with the wheels skyward. There’s such a small chance anyone could ever rollover a BMW E90 chassis (that is in stock form and in normal operating condition – no caveats please) by just trying to avoid a raccoon it is almost laughable.
First fatal I ever went to was someone swerving to avoid a cat: Acura sports car (coupe) - passenger died at the scene.

Anyhow.. I'm done trying to explain things for you - but perhaps an advanced driving course or two might help you understand driving and driver dynamics.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #68
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
That little effer did some serious damage!

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #69
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Archer View Post
I'm not going to debate the specific definition you've put on swerving... you're being specific, I'm being general (google swerving - that should help your understanding.).

Sure... swerving to avoid a raccoon could indeed end up in a crash.. or in a collision.

Anytime you hit something with enough force, you can "bust up a lot of stuff"...

Under ideal conditions, that is true. Hit a curb or a soft shoulder.. while swerving (the general act of swerving to avoid an obstacle at a higher rate of speed), even the stability control can't help you...

Not so.. perhaps all US models, but my Canadian model does not.

..where did cornering come from? I thought we were talking about swerving?

Not so: You've neglected to include environmental factors such as time of day, road/weather conditions, visibility and driver experience, driver condition (fatigue, etc) to name but a few of rather important factors.

First fatal I ever went to was someone swerving to avoid a cat: Acura sports car (coupe) - passenger died at the scene.

Anyhow.. I'm done trying to explain things for you - but perhaps an advanced driving course or two might help you understand driving and driver dynamics.
Oh, I'd be more than happy to teach an advanced driving course for you. PM let me and let me know when you'd like me set it up. Car or bike, your preference. Maybe I can start with the Acura driver you mentioned.

Your original post just said "Swerving to avoid a raccoon? Bad idea... higher likelihood of rollover", impying that simply swerving (i.e. rapidly changing direction, not yanking the wheel almost to full lock like an SUV on a airport runway) could flip an E90; I don’t think so. That's my definition... So, sure, you're right, swerving could produce a higher likelihood of rollover vs. not swerving at all; but then again, driving a car is far more dangerous than not driving a car at all, but of course you'd not get anywhere either.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 02-13-2013 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 12:39 AM   #70
E90_boostjunky
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I E90 SGM

let me restate my "swerving" i turned the wheel really fast to the left as i slammed my brakes to avoid it, i wasnt doing 120MPH. be serious, people start stupid arguments.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 03:06 AM   #71
SoGood
Banned
Rep
Drives: TIAG E90 328i

I hit a bird going 80mph. I was gonna swerve, but my cars more important than a bird(or getting a wreck). I went back to see where the bird went and i didnt find it. I know i ran it over with my rear tires, after i hit it cause i felt a bump.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #72
Thrakos
Audaces fortuna juvat
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90_boostjunky View Post
let me restate my "swerving" i turned the wheel really fast to the left as i slammed my brakes to avoid it, i wasnt doing 120MPH. be serious, people start stupid arguments.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #73
Thrakos
Audaces fortuna juvat
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Oh, I'd be more than happy to teach an advanced driving course for you. PM let me and let me know when you'd like me set it up. Car or bike, your preference. Maybe I can start with the Acura driver you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #74
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Archer View Post
Swerving to avoid a raccoon? Bad idea... higher likelihood of rollover and serious injury.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #75
CruzS4e92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i coupe

i hit a very freshly killed deer the night before thanksgiving going around a bend. that sucked... anywho i parked in the dark and save for the missing body color amber delete on the bumper (i was pissed about that i had to buy another full set, omg $55 haha), i was no worse for the wear. actually i lucked out, i think i cut the wheel at the right moment so i just sloshed through the fleshy part of the torso. anywho the morning light revealed a more ghastly scene:

note hair and brain matter on my wheel

that happened i just screamed "FUCK!!!!!!" my girlfriend: "it's ok i think he was already dead!" hahaha. i had just waxed the car that week that all hosed right off. oh and my side skirt popped right back in too

good luck with your situation OP, pics when the new bumper is fitted

'09 328i coupe 6MT Sport
SG/CR - BMW SSK/alcantara boot - 30% Llumar - Shadowline - BBS Style 197 - LUX H8 V3 LEDs - OEM Aero Lip
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 11:49 PM   #76
E90_boostjunky
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I E90 SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzS4e92 View Post
i hit a very freshly killed deer the night before thanksgiving going around a bend. that sucked... anywho i parked in the dark and save for the missing body color amber delete on the bumper (i was pissed about that i had to buy another full set, omg $55 haha), i was no worse for the wear. actually i lucked out, i think i cut the wheel at the right moment so i just sloshed through the fleshy part of the torso. anywho the morning light revealed a more ghastly scene:

note hair and brain matter on my wheel

that happened i just screamed "FUCK!!!!!!" my girlfriend: "it's ok i think he was already dead!" hahaha. i had just waxed the car that week that all hosed right off. oh and my side skirt popped right back in too

good luck with your situation OP, pics when the new bumper is fitted
ouch! thanks im supposed to be getting her into the body shop tomorrow. its been 9 days, damn insurance
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 11:51 PM   #77
Crewchief05
SBD
Rep
Drives: 335i e90

Garage List
08 335i  [0.00]
damn...that sucks. but......I would definitely take advantage of the situation and switch up the car a bit.
Appreciate 0