E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Ask a Professional Detailer...

03-31-2008, 12:15 PM   #419
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson01 View Post
George,

I am taking delivery of a car in a few weeks with Space gray metallic paint. I was planning on applying by hand Wolfgang polish enhancer followed by Wolfgang sealant. After research, I want to order a PC 7424. Since this is a new car should I apply polish enhancer with a white Lake Country and sealant with a blue pad. Is this what you would rec. ? Also, does the counterweight need to placed on the backing plate? I am worried about damaging the paint. I should only use the weight of the orbital correct? Thanks, Nick
Nick,

You got it. The polish could be applied with a white polishing pad, or if you find there's very minimal imperfections, you could go with the slightly softer black pad. Sealant would be applied with the blue pad as you said.

The Porter Cable comes pre-installed with a 5" counter weight, if you upgrade to a 6" backing plate, you'll want to replace the 5" counter weight with the 6" one to help minimize vibrations. The counter weight is located near where you screw the backing plate onto the Porter Cable itself.

For applying the sealant you want to just use the weight of the buffer as you said, but if you're looking to remove imperfections with the polish, you'll need to apply slight pressure to help properly break down the polish. Always start off with light pressure and add more if needed. The PC typically bog down if you apply TOO much pressure rather than damaging the paint. That's the beauty of the PC, it's very user friendly and paint safe.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

George @ Detailed Image
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 12:32 PM   #420
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

i got stains on my alcantra seats, how do i remove it.

please help. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 12:36 PM   #421
e90driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 325i, 08 328xi

I don't have to worry about damaging my paint- the only buffer I currently have is my hand

When are those flex units supposed to come in? Soon I hope.

06 325i. IT'S HERE!- 08 E92 328xi, Premium, Auto, Cold- Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 08:29 AM   #422
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ventureshield View Post
i got stains on my alcantra seats, how do i remove it.

please help. thanks!
I usually use a mild fabric cleaner and try blot cleaning alcantara. Here's a PDF document from a manufacturer of alcantara and how they recommend maintaining it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90driver View Post
I don't have to worry about damaging my paint- the only buffer I currently have is my hand

When are those flex units supposed to come in? Soon I hope.
I heard from Flex that we're getting our next shipment on Monday (knocks on wood) and it should be enough for all of our pre-orders and to have some available in stock. This will be the first time we've had them in stock for sale since October! Orders will be shipping out same day. The wait is nearly over!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 11:51 AM   #423
e90driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 325i, 08 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
I usually use a mild fabric cleaner and try blot cleaning alcantara. Here's a PDF document from a manufacturer of alcantara and how they recommend maintaining it.

I heard from Flex that we're getting our next shipment on Monday (knocks on wood) and it should be enough for all of our pre-orders and to have some available in stock. This will be the first time we've had them in stock for sale since October! Orders will be shipping out same day. The wait is nearly over!

Maybe you guys will accidentally drop a bottle of 106ff in the box with the flex

Hey a guy can dream can't he?

06 325i. IT'S HERE!- 08 E92 328xi, Premium, Auto, Cold- Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 03:22 PM   #424
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

So we should run and pre-order now?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 04:29 PM   #425
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
So we should run and pre-order now?
Good chance you'll have it shipped early next week if you order.

Once we get them in, I'll let everyone know exactly how many we have left to ship. Currently, just over half our expected shipment will be going to pre-orders, so I'm not sure exactly how long our stock will last.

George
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 04:37 PM   #426
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

Hi George - Ok....I need to step it up on my interior a bit. I'm looking for a good leather conditioner. I have some Lexol ph leather cleaner...but it's kind of a pita to apply, then wipe down. I also have some Lexol wipes that I occassionally use.

My leater is still like new after 20 months. In fact I've only had 1 person in the back seat. It's terra leather...although I don't think that really matters.

I have been on your web site and peeked at the Poorboys (kind of a all in one) and the Lexol conditioner. I didn't really look at the Aerospace.

Bottom line...I want a conditioner, and something that will protect as well.

what do you think?
      04-07-2008, 12:46 AM   #427
RIPe34
Nothing useful to say
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

George,
I just picked up a Flex and some Menzerna P106FF. Is there any data available as to how many microns of clear coat is removed when its applied with white or grey pads? I'm curious as to how often this can be used before the UV protection of the clear coat is comprimised.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 10:07 AM   #428
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtrum View Post
Hi George - Ok....I need to step it up on my interior a bit. I'm looking for a good leather conditioner. I have some Lexol ph leather cleaner...but it's kind of a pita to apply, then wipe down. I also have some Lexol wipes that I occassionally use.

My leater is still like new after 20 months. In fact I've only had 1 person in the back seat. It's terra leather...although I don't think that really matters.

I have been on your web site and peeked at the Poorboys (kind of a all in one) and the Lexol conditioner. I didn't really look at the Aerospace.

Bottom line...I want a conditioner, and something that will protect as well.

what do you think?
If you're looking for a product that's easy to use, I enjoy using Poorboy's Leather Stuff. It's not a deep conditioner, but it works well for coated leather, which is what nearly all leather is. It will lightly clean, condition and leave behind some UV protection. 303 Aerospace won't condition your leather, but it adds UV protection. This is recommended when you use a leather cleaner and conditioner without UV protection, like the Lexol combo or Leatherique combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPe34 View Post
George,
I just picked up a Flex and some Menzerna P106FF. Is there any data available as to how many microns of clear coat is removed when its applied with white or grey pads? I'm curious as to how often this can be used before the UV protection of the clear coat is comprimised.
I personally don't have any data on clear coat levels. Here's a post that picus made monitoring clear coat levels after polishing and wetsanding. Perhaps FMINUS can chime in on this as he recently got a new Defelsko setup.

Sorry I couldn't be any more help.

George
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 05:18 PM   #429
faze335i
Kimber in da Trunk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Sealant

Hi George!
It's time for another sealant so do I just wash my car and then sealant it? or do I have use some sort of different type of wash soap to strip away of old sealant and wax? and do I need to use Mezerna paint cleaner before sealant the car? Currently I'm using zaino car wash.
Also THANK YOU GEORGE because I've been asking just about every little thing possible and you've been very helpfull on every little aspect of questions I have
      04-10-2008, 03:43 AM   #430
zzinco79
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Hi Detailed Image!! I recieved my PC7424 today!! what a fast delivery!!

I just have a few questions regarding to the pads color and the PC speed.

This is what I'm going to do and will use.

1. wash the car with DAWN.
2. Dry
2.5. clay
3. Apply and buff Z-PC
4. Apply and buff 1st coat of Z-5/ZFX
5. Re-apply and buff 2nd coat of Z-5/ZFX
6. Apply Z-2 and let it haze for overnight
7. Buff Z-2.

My car has some serious swirs... and I really want to get rid of them. That is why I bought the PC.

I'm not sure that you are familiar with zaino product, but assume that you know more than me.

So, here are the fill in the blank kind of questions that I want you to answer for me.

Z-PC _ (pad color) _ (what speed?) _ (pressure?)
Z5/ZFX _ (pad color) _ (what speed?) _ (pressure?)
Z2/ZFX _ (pad color) _ (what speed?) _ (pressure?)

this should be all for now... please help out the newbie!!!

Thanks.

2006 BSM 325i / ZPP / ZSP / Adaptive Xenon / BLK leather interior / Steptronic

Eisenmann racing / K&N Ram charger / M5 rep. wheels / D1S 6000k / Brex white ring / OEM style rear trunk spoiler / M steering / OEM strut bar / Blk line tail light

Future Mod

Hamann lip spolier / Mtech rear bumper
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 08:40 AM   #431
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by faze335i View Post
Hi George!
It's time for another sealant so do I just wash my car and then sealant it? or do I have use some sort of different type of wash soap to strip away of old sealant and wax? and do I need to use Mezerna paint cleaner before sealant the car? Currently I'm using zaino car wash.
Also THANK YOU GEORGE because I've been asking just about every little thing possible and you've been very helpfull on every little aspect of questions I have
Thanks for the kind words faze.
If you have a coat of wax on there, you want to avoid applying your new sealant on top of an existing layer of wax. You can remove your previous coats of wax by one of the following methods:
  • Wipe down your car with a mixture of Isopropyl Alcohol and water, used like a quick detailer
  • Clay bar your paint
  • Polish your paint or use a paint cleaner
  • Wash with Dawn or another strong degreaser

This will provide a fresh base for your new sealant to bond to, yielding optimal results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzinco79 View Post
Hi Detailed Image!! I recieved my PC7424 today!! what a fast delivery!!

I just have a few questions regarding to the pads color and the PC speed.

This is what I'm going to do and will use.

1. wash the car with DAWN.
2. Dry
2.5. clay
3. Apply and buff Z-PC
4. Apply and buff 1st coat of Z-5/ZFX
5. Re-apply and buff 2nd coat of Z-5/ZFX
6. Apply Z-2 and let it haze for overnight
7. Buff Z-2.

My car has some serious swirs... and I really want to get rid of them. That is why I bought the PC.

I'm not sure that you are familiar with zaino product, but assume that you know more than me.

So, here are the fill in the blank kind of questions that I want you to answer for me.

Z-PC _ (white) _ (5-6) _ (moderate pressure)
Z5/ZFX _ (blue) _ (3-4) _ (just the weight of the buffer)
Z2/ZFX _ (blue) _ (3-4) _ (just the weight of the buffer)

this should be all for now... please help out the newbie!!!

Thanks.
Z-PC is a very mild polish. If you have "serious swirls" chances are you will still have some swirls remaining even after polishing with the Porter Cable. If you're looking for some more aggressive polishing options after you try out the Z-PC, I'd recommend looking into the Menzerna line of polishes. Our Menzerna April Special would be a great deal to take advantage of if you're looking for some higher quality polishes.

Also, you can just apply and remove Z-2, no reason to let it sit overnight.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

George
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 10:33 PM   #432
dwykstra
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Hey George,

A question for you. I just got my Flex today so I will begin the detailing process on my car soon after I order the polish special you have. I'm going to go with either the jetseal or fmj for a sealant and then likely top it with a wax (natty's blue or the cmg 50/50).

My question is how long can I expect these sealants to last? Will these sealants give me durability to last 4-6 months? I live in S. Georgia, hot/humid.

What is my care process in between applying sealant? Do I just wash, then reapply wax monthly?

Thanks in advance for the speedy delivery on the flex and for the answers.

ZSP/ZPP/CWP/Navi/Sirius/iPod/CA

20% tint/Blacklines/OEM spoiler/OEM style splitters
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 09:52 AM   #433
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwykstra View Post
Hey George,

A question for you. I just got my Flex today so I will begin the detailing process on my car soon after I order the polish special you have. I'm going to go with either the jetseal or fmj for a sealant and then likely top it with a wax (natty's blue or the cmg 50/50).

My question is how long can I expect these sealants to last? Will these sealants give me durability to last 4-6 months? I live in S. Georgia, hot/humid.

What is my care process in between applying sealant? Do I just wash, then reapply wax monthly?

Thanks in advance for the speedy delivery on the flex and for the answers.
Thanks for the positive feedback, glad to see your Flex arrived quickly. FMJ seems to have a shorter durability, usually around 3 months. I think you'll get more protection out of JetSEAL. The one nice thing about FMJ though is how easy it is to apply and remove, so reapplying it once every 3 months isn't a big issue. I think for JetSEAL you'll get closer to the 4 - 6 month range, so I'd recommend reapplying the sealant 3 times a year to ensure full protection year round.

Maintenance wise, you can top either sealant with the waxes you have mentioned. I'd recommend every 4 weeks reapplying the wax to maintain the protection and added depth and gloss.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Thanks again for your support.

George
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 11:22 AM   #434
FrankoQ
Deny everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i; 2015 X6, S1000RR

Garage List
2015 BMW X6  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Using the Flex on tight spaces

George,

I will be using the Flex for the first time soon.
Kind of did a search but did not find what I need to know...

How does one polish the front and rear fenders?
I mean tight spaces like below the grill at front or around the license plate on the rear. Do you use the flex there? if so, how?

Thanks.

I need a drink

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 11:25 PM   #435
bmerdude
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Hi George.

I have been reading through these posts and I can safely say that I am an extreme beginner at best.

I took delivery of my Black Sapphire E90 last week and decided an attempt at applying a wax. I read in Consumer Reports that they thought Black Magic was the best (I'm sure for amateurs like myself it may be). Anyway, I picked some up and proceeded to apply. What a greasy mess. I couldn't get the swirley crap off.
What do you recommend for basic but proper care (knowing that I am not as anal as most here) but yet preserving the black paint and keeping it glossy?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 11:35 PM   #436
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmerdude View Post
Hi George.

I have been reading through these posts and I can safely say that I am an extreme beginner at best.

I took delivery of my Black Sapphire E90 last week and decided an attempt at applying a wax. I read in Consumer Reports that they thought Black Magic was the best (I'm sure for amateurs like myself it may be). Anyway, I picked some up and proceeded to apply. What a greasy mess. I couldn't get the swirley crap off.
What do you recommend for basic but proper care (knowing that I am not as anal as most here) but yet preserving the black paint and keeping it glossy?

Thanks
Hey bmerdude....I would never try and answer questions meant for George, but a quick tip on wax swrills that seem to stick around after removing the wax.....get some distilled water, put into a spray bottle, then place it in the frige until it gets chilled....then spray on your car, then wipe with a nice clean mf towel....they should come right out. I had the same issue with Natty Blue on my black saph....and this worked perfectly.

Oh, and the suggestion came from George.
      04-14-2008, 11:52 PM   #437
bmerdude
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtrum View Post
Hey bmerdude....I would never try and answer questions meant for George, but a quick tip on wax swrills that seem to stick around after removing the wax.....get some distilled water, put into a spray bottle, then place it in the frige until it gets chilled....then spray on your car, then wipe with a nice clean mf towel....they should come right out. I had the same issue with Natty Blue on my black saph....and this worked perfectly.

Oh, and the suggestion came from George.
Thanks. I'm guessing that the cold water hardens the wax so it wipes off easier? Great idea.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 11:45 AM   #438
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankoQ View Post
George,

I will be using the Flex for the first time soon.
Kind of did a search but did not find what I need to know...

How does one polish the front and rear fenders?
I mean tight spaces like below the grill at front or around the license plate on the rear. Do you use the flex there? if so, how?

Thanks.
FrankoQ, good question. With the limited size of the backing plate for the Flex it rules out using much smaller pads. What I'd advise is either kick the speed down slow and be very careful around those areas, or apply the product by hand if it's a real small area. Slowing the speed down on the buffer should give you more precise control, just make sure you're paying careful attention and have a firm grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmerdude View Post
Hi George.

Thanks
Normtrum, offered some great advice to help remove excess product (Thanks ).

The best thing I can recommend to you for black colored vehicles is mastering the proper washing and drying techniques along with having quality products and tools. This is where a majority of imperfections stem from and on a darker colored vehicle, the swirls, scratches and other imperfections are much more noticeable. Here's a link to our washing and drying guide.

If you already have swirls and imperfections, then you want to look into polishing your paint to remove them.

Always make sure your paint is protected with a quality sealant and/or carnauba wax.

If you have any specific questions on anything, please do not hesitate to ask.

George
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 02:43 AM   #439
arabbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

hey george,

i recently bought come Clear Kote Quick Shine to use and QD while im drying to add gloss. It got really good reviews on autopia but when i tried it today, i did not like it at all. it streaked, it did nothing for my shine or the slickness of my car, and it did not buff out very well. Before that i used to use Megs UQD and it left my paint feeling really smooth and a real good shine. I figured maybe i used it wrong. Any advice on how i can make it work better?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 10:20 AM   #440
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabbmw View Post
hey george,

i recently bought come Clear Kote Quick Shine to use and QD while im drying to add gloss. It got really good reviews on autopia but when i tried it today, i did not like it at all. it streaked, it did nothing for my shine or the slickness of my car, and it did not buff out very well. Before that i used to use Megs UQD and it left my paint feeling really smooth and a real good shine. I figured maybe i used it wrong. Any advice on how i can make it work better?
From my experience Quik Shine is more on the cleaning side for me than a gloss enhancer or increasing surface slickness. The only time I really use QS is as a clay bar lubricant, which I do find it works well for that. I find a big difference between Quik Shine and say Menzerna High Gloss Acrylic Shield in terms of surface slickness and gloss. Most products with protection are going to leave a slicker surface and increase the gloss, like Megs UDM. However, those products usually lack the cleaning characteristics of something like Quik Shine or Poorboy's Spray & Wipe.

Quik Shine usually does buff off pretty easily for me though, perhaps you could play with the amount of product that was used next time to avoid streaks. Try using a little less. Also, with any QD I work with, I keep 2 towels handy, one to apply the product and a separate one to buff dry the product. This seems to help cut down on streaking.

I know this doesn't help much to make the product perform any better, but maybe gives a little more insight on Quik Shine.

George
Appreciate 0