E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Help! drywall caked on my paint.

04-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
samircanada
Rep
Drives: 128i Alpine white

Help! drywall caked on my paint.

Hi fellas,
this may sound weird to you but I am sure someone here will be able to help me.

My car was parked in my garage and a I got a leak from the balcony above when it was pouring rain. This resulted in the drywall sheet above my car to get saturated with water and the stuff that leaked on my trunk was like a white paste almost like chalk... long story short is it its now baked on there.

I can sort of scrape it with my nail but it some parts wont come off... I tried a glass cleaner and soft rag and that didnt do it so I am reaching out to see if any product might dilute that stuff so it comes off easy.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
Slow_335i
Daily Driven!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [7.02]
Get it buffed out, then it'll be good.
      04-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
snowman81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Drywall should just dilute with water...it may take some time, but I'm pretty certain that if you continuously soak it with water, that it will break apart. If you don't want to stand there with the hose, you can try getting a towel and soaking it and just let that sit on top of the drywall. After that, you'll probably want to polish and seal or wax that area although I doubt the drywall removed any of the existing wax. Let us know how it goes and post some pics before and after if you can.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
prairieoyster
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman81 View Post
Drywall should just dilute with water...it may take some time, but I'm pretty certain that if you continuously soak it with water, that it will break apart. If you don't want to stand there with the hose, you can try getting a towel and soaking it and just let that sit on top of the drywall. After that, you'll probably want to polish and seal or wax that area although I doubt the drywall removed any of the existing wax. Let us know how it goes and post some pics before and after if you can.
+1

Soak a rag or towel and let it sit on the area, for as long as it takes. I do this with my motorcycles and helmets all the time to get bugs off. It works.
Appreciate 0