E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Need help - refused approved warranty for 335i as apparently was chipped

11-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #23
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
I'm not confused?

Seems clear the OP is just saying he knows how a JB4 should work (steering wheel controls) and he has tried that to see if his car has a JB4 fitted. The SW controls don't go into JB4 programming mode so he is assuming from that there is no JB4 fitted.

He says he has had the CEL lights before (sometime previously) and they went on startup, so could be any fleeting occassional errors - it is a 56 car.

But OP - it could be a flash program (chip) not a JB3/4, I still think amongst the masses, the JB4 is a minority option, there are so many garage 'chip tuners' offering cheap off-the-shelf flash upgrades now, amongst the general car enthusiast public piggbybacks (JB4) are a bit of a dirty word.

You need to go back to the dealer you bought it from, if they have sold you a chipped/JB3/JB4/Flashed/modified car (it probably happens all the time) they need to sort it out.
plus one.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #24
olegmukhanov
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 335i E92 Coupe

Thank you doughboy - that's exactly what I meant.

Waiting for the dealer to get back to me and then will bring the car in.

Having slept on this problem (after being very frustrated yesterday with this issue) it actually makes sense that the dealer who didn't sell the car didn't want to touch it if there is a suspicion that the issue could be due to a chip.

Then the question would be - is occasional hard shirting from the 2nd to the 3rd in D model could be a result of the chip? It actually is not that bad but rather noticeable given all other shifts are silky smooth.

I mean should not this problem be fixed regardless of the chip as struggling to see the link between two?

And thank you for all your replies up to date - very helpful!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #25
andy9188
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: van

Not if the chip/map has been working the components outside of the safe working limits. Any time you increase the power on anything it places more stress on the components linked to it
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #26
olegmukhanov
Private
Rep

Thank you all for your replies.

Got the car booked at the dealer I bought it from for next Monday so hopefully it would be resolved pretty quickly - will let you know on the outcome
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #27
Eelesy24
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 325i M Sport Manual

Sometimes the diagnostic system brings up a message saying the car has been chipped and warranty is invalid on various group numbers, mainly being engine/gearbox/suspension, but in my experience which is only with a "chipped" diesel it is a glitch and as long as there is no obvious signs of an aftermarket device the repair work should be carried out. Ask them to send a PUMA case about it if they refuse

Mike
2006 E90 325i M Sport SGM, BMW performance kidney grills, M3 lip spoiler, BMW performance air filter, BMW Darkline Rear Lights, H&R sport springs, Backbox delete, 18x8.5 Rota Grid Drifts in Hyper Black
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #28
olegmukhanov
Private
Rep

So I brought my car in today and just got a call from my dealer (who I bought the car from) saying:

- they did not find any chip so not sure what other dealer was about
- will fix my gearbox (update the software - fingers crossed it will fix the issue once and for all)
- will do that under the warranty

So the moral of this story from my point of view is following:

- the dealer you bought your car from should be the first point of contact. On one hand their are somehow liable for what they sold to you and on the other already done business with you therefore generally more friendly and happy to help.
- despite the single BMW warranty it appears that if a dealer doesn't want to do the warranty repairs they will find a reason (the other dealer before referring to a "chip" and sending me to the dealer I bought the car from tried to tell me that the problem could be due to the 19" 313 wheels - which are factory spec therefore just plain silly)
- if you are told that the car is / was modified it not necessarily the case. As Eelesy24 pointed above it could be just a glitch as well as the dealer being just not too keen on doing the warranty work

You got to love amazing BMW after sales service and warranty - to be fair will think twice now before buying another BMW.

Thank you all for your help and advice!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #29
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

If the car feels much slower after this you'll know it was mapped beforehand!!

Ps. A dealer always wants to do warranty work, they will look past most mods if they can get away with it.. Its where they make their money!
      11-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #30
Sir_Pigley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 640d GC / 420i XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by olegmukhanov View Post
You got to love amazing BMW after sales service and warranty - to be fair will think twice now before buying another BMW.
No point throwing your toys out of the pram just because you found one uncooperative dealer. If you take that attitude you may as well give up cars altogther.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #31
olegmukhanov
Private
Rep

Good point - in fact my cannot complain about my current dealer, they are very helpful. Perhaps I am a bit frustrated as expected to have the same service wherever I go and it didn't turn out that way.

Oh well - hopefully will get all sorted now.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #32
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by olegmukhanov View Post
Good point - in fact my cannot complain about my current dealer, they are very helpful. Perhaps I am a bit frustrated as expected to have the same service wherever I go and it didn't turn out that way.

Oh well - hopefully will get all sorted now.
so which dealer refused the work?
Appreciate 0