E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > How to retrofit sirius?

03-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
JBE90335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

How to retrofit sirius?

I tried searching but couldn't find it. I'm looking to fit my car with sat radio. It has sat radio prep. I found this module for sale http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660337 and was wondering what else I would need besides this to get sat. Not looking for a DIY as i'm too scared to mess with the car's electronics. Thanks in advance...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAC63 View Post
I tried searching but couldn't find it. I'm looking to fit my car with sat radio. It has sat radio prep. I found this module for sale http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660337 and was wondering what else I would need besides this to get sat. Not looking for a DIY as i'm too scared to mess with the car's electronics. Thanks in advance...
You will need the mounting bracket/screws... just tell your dealer and they will know.

Of course, it will require enabling after the install.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
GenePoole
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

I just added one myself. I'm waiting on the bracket, but in the mean time, I just have it stuck to the trunk floor with double-sided tape. You'll have to plug in the MOST fiber optic connectors at the junction box behind the back seat. I had to re-code the VO (add $655 and remove $693) and add SDARS to the CAPPL to get it to come alive, but fairly straight forward if you've done any coding with a cheap USB K+CAN adapter.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
doublins
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

I´m looking for a little help, because I´m worried that the sirius receiver I picked up off of ebay might be a dud-

My ´09 E92 already had sat prep, so I installed the bracketry and the reciever, added $655 to V.O. and removed $693, then I changed SDARS to activ in the 2URAD (No CAPPL in my car).

The problem is, when I route the MOST cables to the sirius tuner (doing it with ignition on so i can see the light paths at the MOST junction)- when I connect the MOST cable that feeds the optical signal TO the satellite unit, so the red light in the cable arrives at the sirius unit, once I plug the power/MOST connector into the satellite unit, it does not complete the fiber optic circuit and the light does not make the round trip back to the most block. Why?

I checked the connector and I do have a 12V signal at the power connector.

Any advice on what to try next? Because the unit won´t complete the MOST circuit by sending the light back to the junction block, it renders the whole audio system inoperable unless I unplug the optical cables and re-connect the original MOST configuration. I´m assuming that the unit, if operating properly, would propogate the MOST signal back out on the other fiber optic cable.

Help?

I´m pretty technically savvy, so don´t be afraid to be specific in your advice.

-Chris
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #5
GenePoole
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

You are correct about the MOST loop; it should propagate as long as there is power to the unit. I think you may be correct in that you have a dud. I can't think of any good way to verify short of borrowing a known good unit.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 06:46 AM   #6
doublins
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenePoole View Post
You are correct about the MOST loop; it should propagate as long as there is power to the unit. I think you may be correct in that you have a dud. I can't think of any good way to verify short of borrowing a known good unit.
So, when you were hooking yours up, when you had the unit plugged into the harness, as you connected your MOST block connections, the signal loops back from the tuner so you can see the continuation of the light path? I´m going to pull the tuner and see if I can´t find any broken solder joints or something like that. This is upsetting, as I paid like $370 for this thing, and it took so long to get my cable from overseas that I surpassed the return by date while waiting before i bothered to recognize the unit was bad.

Anything else you can think of?

-Chris
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #7
Kola
Vinnie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 328i

Chris,

I just bought a used Sirius tuner to install into my 09 e92 with prep, are you able to do the coding? It's not installed yet if you'd like to try it in your car first then help me install it into mine I'd appreciate the help and coding... I'm in Severna Park.

- Vinnie
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
doublins
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kola View Post
Chris,

I just bought a used Sirius tuner to install into my 09 e92 with prep, are you able to do the coding? It's not installed yet if you'd like to try it in your car first then help me install it into mine I'd appreciate the help and coding... I'm in Severna Park.

- Vinnie
Yeah Vinnie we could do that- Ill be around all day tomorrow but obviously from 1pm on ill be occupied with football and won't want to stray from the house. I'm about to return the old unit so if you want to try tomorrow early we could do that elsewise sometime this week

-Chris
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #9
Kola
Vinnie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 328i

I read this too late to make it today, this week sometime works for me.
Appreciate 0