E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > So even if you did the EGR recall...

11-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #23
CT_335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

This is what I am going thru right now with my 2009 CPO BMW 335d.

I purchased a CPO 2009 BMW 335d with 46,700 miles on it about three weeks ago from a BMW dealership about 80 miles from my house. The SERVICE ENGINE SOON light turned on the first week I had the car. Brought it over to my local BMW dealership and they replaced the mass air flow sensor. During the second week I had the car, the SES light turned on again, so I brought it over to the dealership thinking it was probably another sensor. After running tests on the car, they determined that the problem was CARBON BUILD-UP.

They told me that they ordered a new cylinder head, intake valves, and new injectors. When I asked the service rep to tell me what the hell is going on, he said that the injectors failed and leaked, causing sludge and build-up on the intake valves. He said that this was the first DIESEL 335d that he saw this happen to. So they received the new parts this week, but they were not assembled. The service rep to told me that they need to have the machine shop do some work on it and it will take one more week to complete everything.

So now it looks like they are rebuilding my engine. I am not a mechanical person, but doesn't seem a bit extreme with a car that only has about 47,000 miles on it. Just wanted to find out if anyone else had similar problems with their diesel engines.

After all is said and done, I will have a rebuilt engine. The service rep told me that the total cost of the work being done on my car is about $10,000. It's good that the car is CPO and comes with the extended warranty, but what if this happens again after the warranty runs out. There is no way I want to pay that much money to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 06:45 PM   #24
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
If someone has this carbon build up problem and either can scope the car themselves or can ask their dealer what the codes that were thrown (obviously the carbon buildup can be difficult to diagnose), I would appreciate it and I think a lot of people would too. A few observations:

Is this a known problem? This engine has been around a while in Europe....

I dont see how this could be caused by EGR or emissions system, though maybe backpressure from a clogged SCR system could do something like this. Especially in view of CT_335D's post indicating his was caused by a bad injector which dumped too much fuel into the cylinders.

I have over 82,000 mostly highway miles on my 2009 and have noticed no loss of power. Have not had it worked on for any issues other than the normal scheduled oil changes when it was under warranty.

I do not drive my car hard. A lot of the highway miles were around 80 mph. I have one speeding ticket when I was going 85 in a 65 zone. The car has never been above around 126 mph (Hwy 1 outside of Sant Cruz, the Japanese car I was chasing had some nasty smell coming out of it, I think the engine was about to explode. I even still have the original brake pads because I go easy on it, though I think they should be checked.

I do have a SES light on a lot, but it seems to be affected by whether I have filled up my tank recently, so I think it is probably just a defective fuel cap or something, though now I am worried. I guess I have to hook up to the OBD system and see if I see anything.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #25
CT_335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

I just don't understand why they need to replace the cylinder head to replace bad injectors. The intake valves are probably dirty and need to be replaced. The injectors are leaking and need to be replaced, but why the cylinder head?

Also, wouldn't the fault codes tell the tech what is wrong with the car. Why tell me that it's carbon build-up first and then they tell me it's the injectors? When my car is finally fixed and ready for pickup, I will ask the tech if this happens again after my CPO 100,000 mile warranty, will BMW cover this problem if it comes back?

Also, when they need to replace parts, do they order them from Germany? The reason I ask is because it takes them 5-6 days to get them once they order them.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #26
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem
If someone has this carbon build up problem and either can scope the car themselves or can ask their dealer what the codes that were thrown (obviously the carbon buildup can be difficult to diagnose), I would appreciate it and I think a lot of people would too. A few observations:

Is this a known problem? This engine has been around a while in Europe....

I dont see how this could be caused by EGR or emissions system, though maybe backpressure from a clogged SCR system could do something like this. Especially in view of CT_335D's post indicating his was caused by a bad injector which dumped too much fuel into the cylinders.

I have over 82,000 mostly highway miles on my 2009 and have noticed no loss of power. Have not had it worked on for any issues other than the normal scheduled oil changes when it was under warranty.

I do not drive my car hard. A lot of the highway miles were around 80 mph. I have one speeding ticket when I was going 85 in a 65 zone. The car has never been above around 126 mph (Hwy 1 outside of Sant Cruz, the Japanese car I was chasing had some nasty smell coming out of it, I think the engine was about to explode. I even still have the original brake pads because I go easy on it, though I think they should be checked.

I do have a SES light on a lot, but it seems to be affected by whether I have filled up my tank recently, so I think it is probably just a defective fuel cap or something, though now I am worried. I guess I have to hook up to the OBD system and see if I see anything.
I fill up at a wide range of diesel stations I never have an SES light
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 10:57 PM   #27
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
I fill up at a wide range of diesel stations I never have an SES light
It doesnt matter where I fill up. If i fill up, the light goes out and comes back on again later. I think it has to do with pressure in the fuel tank, some sensor maybe defective or the fuel cap.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #28
Badman45
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

My dealer wants to update my pcm with the EGR update What is this update exactly?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #29
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badman45 View Post
My dealer wants to update my pcm with the EGR update What is this update exactly?
If it's "the" EGR recall, the EGR valve is replaced with an updated version, and depending on your car's date of manufacture, they might also update other emission-related parts. New software is added to the pcm to mate up with the new parts.
      12-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #30
Jffeijao
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badman45 View Post
As I posted in another thread, after scheduling the visit for this issue the dealership 'recalled' the recall as the new SW is not compatible with some vehicles. (depending on asm date and options package)
I am told they will contact me once a solution is available.
A month has passed, nothing so far.
2012 Grand Cherokee (sold!)
2003 MB SLK stick (garage queen)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #31
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamando View Post
No problem. I wasn't the first and unfortunately won't be the last to have this happen. Just wanted to let everyone know the issue is out there.
So, how has the 335d been running after all the updates and fixes? No more SES light(s)? How many miles did you put on since?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #32
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Duplicate Post To One In Sticky

Recall Roundup: SCR/EGR system Post (DUPE)

Today I went to the local dealership to discuss recall campaigns/service actions that have been done to my car, and the ones that I believed needed to be done. The items I discussed were as follows:

1. SI B18 05 12 (Replace EGR Valve and SCR Mixer). This was done for me by the local dealership during 21-22 Aug 2012 with 4783 miles. I have the service sheet for this one.

2. SI B18 06 12 (Replace SCR Mixer). I was told this was bundled with #1 above and thus was completed on 22 Aug. I can believe this one.

3. SI B18 04 12 (Replace SCR Metering Unit). I was told this also was bundled with #1 above and thus was completed on 22 Aug. After returning home I checked my service paperwork and I cannot believe this one. If they did it, they neither correctly indicated it on my service sheet and nor did they affix the required service label.

4. SI B13 04 12 (Program Control Unit). I was told this had not been done, and we scheduled it to be done with my first service visit on Monday, 11 March, at 8am. This is the action that includes the gearbox software update as well.

So, tomorrow I plan to go back to the local dealership and question them on item #3 and see what sort of answer I get. If they insist they did it, I will ask to have a printout of the work done and why they neither annotated it on my service record nor affixed the label.

Monday is my first visit for oil and filter change, DEF top up, and what other goodies might they also do? Wiper blades. Yes, I am a lazy bum, but there is a story behind that.

Last edited by 335dFan; 03-06-2013 at 04:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 05:15 AM   #33
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Like Chris wrote our cars have been in the market for 3 yrs WTF hasnt BMW been able to take care of these issuess, so far my car has been rock solid but I will be dammend If go thru what Kamando has gone thru!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #34
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

It is a bit odd that some seem to have so many problems and others none. So far ***Knock on wood*** with 29K on my 2011 former service loaner 335D, I have yet to see an SES. Only been back to the dealer for routine maintenance and recalls.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 08:20 AM   #35
Kamando
Captain
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_vs_ View Post
So, how has the 335d been running after all the updates and fixes? No more SES light(s)? How many miles did you put on since?
Running great now. No SES lights. (Then again the SES was one of the last things to show up in the process. - fuel mileage in the toilet for awhile which is the first symptom, bad engine vibration, engine hesitation from a stop, and finally SES at the very end.) I've only put maybe a few thousand miles on the car since but everything seems fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #36
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

Quote:
Running great now. No SES lights. (Then again the SES was one of the last things to show up in the process. - fuel mileage in the toilet for awhile which is the first symptom, bad engine vibration, engine hesitation from a stop, and finally SES at the very end.) I've only put maybe a few thousand miles on the car since but everything seems fine.
I would like to assume the SES light did not show up before the symptoms because you did not have the latest DDE update during that time.

Good news that your 335d is running like it should again. There is hope!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #37
Kamando
Captain
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_vs_
Quote:
I would like to assume the SES light did not show up before the symptoms because you did not have the latest DDE update during that time.

Good news that your 335d is running like it should again. There is hope!
Thanks. I would agree as well, hopefully the new DDE update will give people warning in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #38
ThePicturePro
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Out of Warranty with 51,187 miles and these same issues

My car is in the shop now. I was driving home this past weekend with my family when my 2009 335d felt like it was losing power and out of fuel. I had minimal throttle response and thought I was going to break down in the carpool lane. I had to limp off the freeway and it was in the middle of downtown LA on a sunday. There was nowhere to take the car. I checked the obvious and put more diesel in it (in case there was something wrong with the previous fuel or the gauge). I decided it was safer to take my chances on the freeway while driving home than to be stuck in LA with my wife and children.

Here is where it gets worse. I have only 51,187 miles. I am out of warranty. I took it to local bmw and have been waiting for 4 days for more information. Today I was told that all of my fuel injectors need replacing as well as finding Carbon buildup. They told me that they "MAY" help me with a one time goodwill repair. Ive been doing some research and I think this is way to common with 335d owners and that the injector replacement may not be the only thing needed to fix the car.

I would greatly appreciate any help from fellow owners about other issues that may be found with this problem. If BMW does fix this, I want them to address all of the issues. They admitted to me that "We dont see many diesels, especially with your problems" Not very reassuring. I wish they would come here to do some research.

2009 335d
51,187 miles
wife's daily driver, 32 miles round trip daily
65%/35% Highway/Street driving

never driven hard, I'm rarely behind the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #39
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

wow kamando! my driving is usually 90% city and MAYBE 10% hwy so Im screwed somewhat but one thing I do I drive my car HARD during to traffic days i STUMP on the accelerator from time to time. On the hwy i dont go below 75mph and i STUMP the pedal with my flash and ic from 60 to 130 mph from time to time, I gather eventually I'll stung by this but, GRACIAS for your info!! I'll see if I can get to see the intake in the nearby future
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #40
yafool
Private
Rep

Going through this whole shebang now with my 2011 D.
This would be the second time it threw a fault code on the injectors, First time being at 46k. 3 injectors were replaces.
Now I am at 63k miles.
now 4 injectors have carbon build up. They also see it on the intake manifold.
They will replace all the injectors under the 70k emmission warranty which is completely legitimate. Not sure what they will do with the carbon builtup on the intake manifolds or anywhere else though...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #41
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yafool View Post
Going through this whole shebang now with my 2011 D.
This would be the second time it threw a fault code on the injectors, First time being at 46k. 3 injectors were replaces.
Now I am at 63k miles.
now 4 injectors have carbon build up. They also see it on the intake manifold.
They will replace all the injectors under the 70k emmission warranty which is completely legitimate. Not sure what they will do with the carbon builtup on the intake manifolds or anywhere else though...
Carbon build up in the intake is normal for diesel engines. Carbon build up in the combustion chamber is not and is the result of running the engine under light load conditions for long periods of time.

The 335d is not built as a city car but a highway burner. If you spend a lot of time in rush hour traffic I would suggest a 4cyl diesel or another car other than a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #42
DC-IT
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

My 2010 335D with 65,000 miles also had all these issues in mid March.
I`m out of warranty but BMW covered most of the costs and I had to pay around $3,800.00!
Had one injector replaced on the first SES but the SES came back after I drove it for 40 miles.
Second SES the intake manifold was replaced and carbon build up was cleaned from the cylinder head with walnut blasting.
But the SES came back on again after 40 miles driven.
I printed out a forum post which had the DDE replaced to fix the SES and showed this to my SA who then got BMW`s approval to have the DDE replaced.
Since then no more SES for the past 50 days and over 4,000 miles driven.
Had BMW not cover some of the costs plus all parts it would have cost over $12,000.00!

AND the problem is we can expect to have carbon build up recurring after another 60,000 miles and have to pay for the clean up again.
2011 White Gold VW Jetta TDI
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #43
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-IT View Post
My 2010 335D with 65,000 miles also had all these issues in mid March.
I`m out of warranty but BMW covered most of the costs and I had to pay around $3,800.00!
Had one injector replaced on the first SES but the SES came back after I drove it for 40 miles.
Second SES the intake manifold was replaced and carbon build up was cleaned from the cylinder head with walnut blasting.
But the SES came back on again after 40 miles driven.
I printed out a forum post which had the DDE replaced to fix the SES and showed this to my SA who then got BMW`s approval to have the DDE replaced.
Since then no more SES for the past 50 days and over 4,000 miles driven.
Had BMW not cover some of the costs plus all parts it would have cost over $12,000.00!

AND the problem is we can expect to have carbon build up recurring after another 60,000 miles and have to pay for the clean up again.
IMO carbon buildup in the intake is a non-issue and ALL diesels have it. Carbon in the combustion chamber is due to mismatch between the engine and the car. Your issue was the DDE.

This IS a carbon problem, and I haven't seen one BMW diesel with this degree of build up, nor will there ever: http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...W9KUfsOgL3jkIM
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #44
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

SOCOM wtf thats some build up if any i hv seen wow! are we in for crap!!
Appreciate 0