E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Sac valley member chat thread

03-01-2014, 01:21 AM   #3521
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL M3

Hey gang, if you are interested, on the 4th Saturday at 7:00pm a group of BMW owners meets to hang out and talk cars in Roseville. It is near the Blue Nami off Eureka. Parking is near the coffee shop there.

NorCal drive organizer guy
NorCal CSL build thread - US to CSL Conversion
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 09:00 AM   #3522
Casca
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

Finally dropped the rear subframe, changed out bushings, arms and differential (no LSD, just gear ratio change from 3.23 to 3.73)

Changed out the front control arms, hotchkis sways front/back, meyle HD tie rods and brake lines to SS too. I tried to keep everything close to the length they were, but wow did the car drive horrible after that.

Took it to RTS (radial tire service) as recommended and very cool. Told them I wanted;

Front
0 toe
-1.7 camber per side

Rear
1/16" toe in per side
-1.8 camber per side

Thrust andle= 0.00
Everything else to OEM spec's

And that is what they did. I liked that their tech evened everything up. No just in spec on the low end for one side with a just in spec on the high end for the other side shit. Will diffinently be going there again for my other car. Was quoted $125 on the phone, but they only charged me $95.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #3523
carlos916
Semper Fi
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 ///M5

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casca View Post
Finally dropped the rear subframe, changed out bushings, arms and differential (no LSD, just gear ratio change from 3.23 to 3.73)

Changed out the front control arms, hotchkis sways front/back, meyle HD tie rods and brake lines to SS too. I tried to keep everything close to the length they were, but wow did the car drive horrible after that.

Took it to RTS (radial tire service) as recommended and very cool. Told them I wanted;

Front
0 toe
-1.7 camber per side

Rear
1/16" toe in per side
-1.8 camber per side

Thrust andle= 0.00

And that is what they did. I liked that their tech evened everything up. No just in spec on the low end for one side with a just in spec on the high end for the other side shit. Will diffinently be going there again for my other car. Was quoted $125 on the phone, but they only charged me $95.
sweet Radial Tire has always been the place to go for suspension/tire installs and work
      03-03-2014, 01:58 AM   #3524
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, E70 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Front
0 toe
-1.7 camber per side

Rear
1/16" toe in per side
-1.8 camber per side

Thrust andle= 0.00

how do you like that setting? mine were aligned as the following:
front 1/16 toe
-0.8 camber

rear 1/16 toe
-2.6 camber

thrust 0.00

car is very responsive and neutral. hardly experience understeer unless i was going in the corner in a stupid speed. paired with Swift 400 lbs coils and Koni yellow set to 75% firm front, Swift 620 lbs coils rear Koni yellow set to 95% firm rear, wife has no complain about the ride at all. she seldom drives my car but past weeks, she had to take my car a few times since her car was in service and niello was out of loaner but only able to get me some Hertz GMC... blah. wife rather take my car cuz those GMC floated like a boat and scary. she loves the heavy steering wheel, stiff ride and feel safer.

only thing she complains is the ride height. she opt not to take it to work too often cuz where she works has too many tall speed bumps, she knows she would bottom out or damage the front lip if she's be careless when going over those speed bumps.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 07:41 AM   #3525
Casca
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawwailok View Post
front 1/16 toe
-0.8 camber

rear 1/16 toe
-2.6 camber

thrust 0.00

car is very responsive and neutral. hardly experience understeer unless i was going in the corner in a stupid speed....
Have not really driven it too much since the change and diffinently not driven it hard to really get a feel for it. Driving straight on the highway takes a little more effort as the car kinda...wonders. It tramlines easier and whatever slope or angle the pavement has, I have to counter steer for correction to keep straight. Probably making it sound worse than it is, however I may go back to a slight toe-in the next time as I really liked how my car was easy to keep straight on the highway with little effort.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #3526
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casca
Quote:
front 1/16 toe
-0.8 camber

rear 1/16 toe
-2.6 camber

thrust 0.00

car is very responsive and neutral. hardly experience understeer unless i was going in the corner in a stupid speed....
Have not really driven it too much since the change and diffinently not driven it hard to really get a feel for it. Driving straight on the highway takes a little more effort as the car kinda...wonders. It tramlines easier and whatever slope or angle the pavement has, I have to counter steer for correction to keep straight. Probably making it sound worse than it is, however I may go back to a slight toe-in the next time as I really liked how my car was easy to keep straight on the highway with little effort.
Won't front toe in increase the wandering? Thought slight toe out would remedy this. Your rears with little toe in sounds right.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 05:07 PM   #3527
JamesAC83
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:

Front
0 toe
-1.7 camber per side

Rear
1/16" toe in per side
-1.8 camber per side

Thrust andle= 0.00

I find this part amusing.. they did exactly that when I brought my car in a few months back, and is exactly why I would never return there again.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 07:11 PM   #3528
Casca
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjb View Post
Won't front toe in increase the wandering? Thought slight toe out would remedy this. Your rears with little toe in sounds right.
Pretty sure toe in gives more stability and improves the ease of keeping the car straight while toe out will help with turn-in at the cost of requiring more attention trying to keep the car straight, but I'm no expert. Just read stuff on the interwebz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAC83 View Post
I find this part amusing.. they did exactly that when I brought my car in a few months back, and is exactly why I would never return there again.
Do you mean they didn't even everything up?

Mine probably came out all evened out because I told the tech exactly what I wanted and that is exactly what he did. Told them exact numbers per side, not just total or to BMW specs with as much negative camber as you can.

Or do you mean having everything even per side is bad?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #3529
JamesAC83
Private
Rep

Quote:
Pretty sure toe in gives more stability and improves the ease of keeping the car straight while toe out will help with turn-in at the cost of requiring more attention trying to keep the car straight, but I'm no expert. Just read stuff on the interwebz

Do you mean they didn't even everything up?

Mine probably came out all evened out because I told the tech exactly what I wanted and that is exactly what he did. Told them exact numbers per side, not just total or to BMW specs with as much negative camber as you can.

Or do you mean having everything even per side is bad?
Not even everything up. Like the tech just rushed my car, got it as close to being in spec as possible and hand it back. I wasn't impressed.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 10:25 PM   #3530
Casca
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAC83 View Post
Not even everything up. Like the tech just rushed my car, got it as close to being in spec as possible and hand it back. I wasn't impressed.
I dunno, my expeience was great. I went in on Saturday with an apointment for 10am. They close at 1pm on Saturdays. The place was packed, these guys obviously get a lot of business. Talked with the guy doing my car for a bit and explained what I wanted. Took him 1 hour and 30 minutes. I was peeking over every so often and he was working on my car the whole time. I was pretty impressed and will higly recommend them.

I work on aircraft myself and limits are limits. In limits? Good to go. That is what limits are for. Unless the people running the show comes down and tells me, ".5 inner and .5 outer" ....I am good with .2 inner and .8 outer if that gets it in limits. Is it lazy? No, it's in limits and nothing other than getting it within limits was requested.

Pilot: "These tires are almost worn out of limits."

Tech: "I almost considered changing it."
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 11:52 PM   #3531
JamesAC83
Private
Rep

Quote:
I dunno, my expeience was great. I went in on Saturday with an apointment for 10am. They close at 1pm on Saturdays. The place was packed, these guys obviously get a lot of business. Talked with the guy doing my car for a bit and explained what I wanted. Took him 1 hour and 30 minutes. I was peeking over every so often and he was working on my car the whole time. I was pretty impressed and will higly recommend them.

I work on aircraft myself and limits are limits. In limits? Good to go. That is what limits are for. Unless the people running the show comes down and tells me, ".5 inner and .5 outer" ....I am good with .2 inner and .8 outer if that gets it in limits. Is it lazy? No, it's in limits and nothing other than getting it within limits was requested.

Pilot: "These tires are almost worn out of limits."

Tech: "I almost considered changing it."
I think they spent less than 30min on my car if I remember right.. it was a few months back, but just wasn't pleased with their service. They had plenty of business however, and came highly recommended, which is why I went. I left with the feeling that they are so busy, there is no quest to overly satisfy the customer.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 03:07 PM   #3532
Boost'n E92
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42 View Post
LOL

Kyle this happens when you don't read... LOL..
I am a visual learner and hands on lol, sure I know how to read but will forget everything I read from last paragraph lol, that why I like friends that know what they are doing lol, so I learn the right way, instead of making mistakes and waiting to figure it out and not achieving anything, the forums and youtube have helped me a lot in the past lol,
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #3533
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost'n E92 View Post
I am a visual learner and hands on lol, sure I know how to read but will forget everything I read from last paragraph lol, that why I like friends that know what they are doing lol, so I learn the right way, instead of making mistakes and waiting to figure it out and not achieving anything, the forums and youtube have helped me a lot in the past lol,
you have to understand what you are doing not just how too. Logging is very critical to know if your car is happy. Just because it doesn't misfire doesn't mean the car is happy. You got to get the Logging down i wouldn't have gone as far as you have without logging.

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #3534
Boost'n E92
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you have to understand what you are doing not just how too. Logging is very critical to know if your car is happy. Just because it doesn't misfire doesn't mean the car is happy. You got to get the Logging down i wouldn't have gone as far as you have without logging.

Hehehe, I wana go fast!!!!!!!!! (Taladega knights) I tried downloading the software for cobb on my computer not the tune!!! but it says the software I am installing hasn't passed windows logo testing to verify its compatibilty with windows XP. and too either continue or stop download? I have windows Xp 32bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 07:25 PM   #3535
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

+1. until when shit happens, everything is too late. that is going to be an expensive lesson.

Quote:
Hehehe, I wana go fast!!!!!!!!! (Taladega knights) I tried downloading the software for cobb on my computer not the tune!!! but it says the software I am installing hasn't passed windows logo testing to verify its compatibilty with windows XP. and too either continue or stop download? I have windows Xp 32bit.
you wanna go fast? go fast in a corner, not on a straight. i feel the E50 is too fast for me so i back down to E40 now... cobb always have customer support for computer compatibility. give em a call and they are gladly to help.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 07:26 PM   #3536
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
learn from mistake is the only way to get it hard in your head.
or else, pay to play
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 12:27 AM   #3537
JamesAC83
Private
Rep

Finally took my car to the dealer the other day to get checked out after I had my issues with it. I'm happy I did, turns out my hpfp was failing and my low pressure fuel sensor had died. So damn happy to drive my bmw again, I was getting tired of driving the corvette.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #3538
Boost'n E92
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
learn from mistake is the only way to get it hard in your head.
or else, pay to play
so after I figure how to log, what do I do with it, do I send it to cobb so they can look at it and tweak my tune to how it is acting?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 01:16 PM   #3539
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
so after I figure how to log, what do I do with it, do I send it to cobb so they can look at it and tweak my tune to how it is acting?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=884806

read... read.... and read......

obviously you didn't read or spend enough time on the forum.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726770

you don't send to cobb nor they will do shit to tweak to your tune. like i said, pay to play, send a payment to PTF and they will help you out.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #3540
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
i told you to read this. this will help you understand your log.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696472

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 09:33 PM   #3541
jo2dv390
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Suppers Sac Members:

I just got home and opened up my 19 inch VMR VB3's!!!

Can't wait for the tires to get here from Tire Rack

I had a question though: Do I need to buy new Lug-Nuts and Valve Stems or can the installer use my existing ones???

Any feedback will be great!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #3542
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo2dv390
Suppers Sac Members:

I just got home and opened up my 19 inch VMR VB3's!!!

Can't wait for the tires to get here from Tire Rack

I had a question though: Do I need to buy new Lug-Nuts and Valve Stems or can the installer use my existing ones???

Any feedback will be great!!!
You can use existing bolts provided your not using spacers. Get new valve stems.

Are you moving over your tpms from the stock wheels?
Appreciate 0