E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > *Official* 6FL iPod/USB Thread

09-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #1255
Brocallion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW/Saddle Brown 335ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inprogress View Post
I'm not sure if this has been covered, but what options do I have with an 07' with nav to be able to control my 3rd gen iPod without havng to settle for the aux port?

This thread is basically talking about that. As far as my understanding goes. This feature is called 6FL. And it's an add-on option only before the car is built. It uses a Y connector that connects to the USB/AUX port and ipod/iphone. You'll be able to control your ipod/iphone through the car. Dealers can not install the option yet. But the neat thing is that some of our fellow friends here on the forum was able to retrofit theirs. I want this feature but it seems a little too costly to get it done. I'm sad because something like this the dealers can't even install it.
      09-30-2010, 01:44 PM   #1256
Knights314
Rep
Drives: '07 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocallion View Post
I'm sad because something like this the dealers can't even install it.
Not true. This can be added by your local BMW dealer. I was quoted two weeks ago at about $700 for parts and installation.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 01:27 AM   #1257
ramtin325i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 02 E46 ZSP

Im sorry if this has been asked before but I searched all over this thread for a legitimate answer. I didnt want to make a whole new thread so im asking here. I want to do a fun "experiment" with my friend's 2010 E90 M3. Is there any possible way that I can watch music videos using iDrive? Would a USB Flash Drive or a DVD-R/W work if I download a music video from youtube? Im not sure what the file format for burned youtube videos are but I believe its MPEG, AVI or MP4. Someone please chime in and tell me the easiest way to play music videos on iDrive

Thanks
      11-24-2010, 10:18 AM   #1258
ergoyo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

May be a silly question too, but in the case of USB flash drives, I can access my directories and play music just fine, etc.; however, every time the ignition is off, when I turn the car on again, playback resumes on the specific song but when I do back on the root directory I am back at the beginning (at the top) of the directory. In other words, it will not return to the album artist, title, etc being played but rather to letter A, at the top, and no root memory will be stored.
Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 06:28 PM   #1259
Sirrus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergoyo View Post
May be a silly question too, but in the case of USB flash drives, I can access my directories and play music just fine, etc.; however, every time the ignition is off, when I turn the car on again, playback resumes on the specific song but when I do back on the root directory I am back at the beginning (at the top) of the directory. In other words, it will not return to the album artist, title, etc being played but rather to letter A, at the top, and no root memory will be stored.
Any ideas?
I'm not sure if you have iDrive or not, but on my non-iDrive I have a CURR button that takes me there.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 01:12 AM   #1260
ergoyo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrus View Post
I'm not sure if you have iDrive or not, but on my non-iDrive I have a CURR button that takes me there.
I have iDrive (CIC). There's nothing that says CURR anywhere.

It is really annoying now to the point that I find the USB flash option pretty much useless since everytime I get in the car I need to turn the knob 300+ times around in order to get to the last artists or albums on the directory.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 09:16 AM   #1261
tavuslokus
Rep
Drives: E90 Lci

No need to buy any cable here. On my E90 2010, I have been able to connect the apple branded white cable directly to the USB input on the globebox and control the ipod from either the wheel buttons or HU, it shows current playing sone and all folders properly.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 06:24 PM   #1262
Sirrus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergoyo View Post

I have iDrive (CIC). There's nothing that says CURR anywhere.

It is really annoying now to the point that I find the USB flash option pretty much useless since everytime I get in the car I need to turn the knob 300 times around in order to get to the last artists or albums on the directory.
You should make a folder structure to speed things up. Artist/album/tracks

If you still have too many artists make top level "A-D", "E-H", for example.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #1263
mandaring
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' E92 335i

I have kind of a dumb question. I have been searching this thread, and haven't found an answer yet...but I haven't read all 58 pages either so it might be stuck somewhere in here.

I have an 08 335i I just bought a few months ago. I was under the impression I had the iPod hookup and everything because it has the AUX in port in my glovebox. I was disappointed when I hooked it in, since I still have to control everything through my iPod, even with my I-drive, it doesn't give a display of the song or anything, and I think it sounds a little static-y.

I see a lot of people on here have a USB/AUX port and the USB is how everything transfers to your I-drive.

Does anyone know why I have the AUX port but not the USB port? Was this an after market install or something?

Thanks in advance for the help...just trying to figure my car out lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #1264
comebackidlci
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White 335i

My 6FL has been working fine with my ipod for 6 months now with my 2011 iDrive. Today the ipod would display on the screen but no music would play and the only thing thats not greyed out is the "new search" which has no response when I click on it. 6FL seems to still work fine with my iphone 4 tho. I tried to restore the ipod but it still has the same problem, anyone else has this problem?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 08:52 AM   #1265
SpeedTweaker
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

I've been trying to find an answer but without success. I just picked up a 2008 335i earlier this week and can't seen to get iDrive to recognize my iPhone 4 for music.

I went to Best Buy and purchased a Sony Y-cable but the device is not recognized by iDrive. Do I need to purchase the OEM cable from the dealer?

Thanks,
Clay
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 09:38 AM   #1266
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedTweaker View Post
I've been trying to find an answer but without success. I just picked up a 2008 335i earlier this week and can't seen to get iDrive to recognize my iPhone 4 for music.

I went to Best Buy and purchased a Sony Y-cable but the device is not recognized by iDrive. Do I need to purchase the OEM cable from the dealer?

Thanks,
Clay

You've probably figured this out by now, but yes you need the BMW Y cable. It is designed to interface between the iPod and audio system and was jointly engineered by BMW and Apple. Any other version will be "try your luck".

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #1267
Sim Simma UK
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 320d M Sport Coupe

My 2011 e92 with USB won't work with my iphone 4 and the standard white lead, does it matter that I don't have iDrive?

10-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #1268
gazorp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Can anyone tell me if it is possible and what parts are needed to install the USB port in a 2006 330i (E90)? I have the CCC idrive, the CD changer, and my idrive has bluetooth. There is also the mobile phone snap in accessory in the center console which i will be removing ASAP. There are NO usb ports in the glovebox or in the center console. I am looking to add the port in the center console.

Perhaps the cable for the phone cradle is USB and that is why there is no USB port, only the AUX audio 2.5mm jack?

I have read for hours about USB retrofit, but it seems nobody has my same year and options so i am unsure what parts i need, the cost, etc..

I sincerely appreciate any help.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #1269
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, 335i

I did the 6FL USB retrofit, although I did mine with a CIC installed in my 2007 E90. I could never get an answer if it would work with my CCC. However, when I removed my CIC to sell the car, the USB port still worked with the CCC.

I bought all the components from the OEM USB retrofit kit... the MULF, the USB hub, the harnesses...everything. I downloaded the manual and bought all the parts from the online parts listing and got the MULF on ebay. It was a fair amount of work, but in the end it was great. I just followed the factory instructions for the wiring and it worked out fine. Believe me, you don't already have any of the parts necessary to make it work - you have to put in the port and ALL associated wiring, and the module to make it work. For whatever reason, BMW says that the the 6FL would not work on my car (too early of a build), but it did ultimately work.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #1270
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster4075 View Post
I did the 6FL USB retrofit, although I did mine with a CIC installed in my 2007 E90. I could never get an answer if it would work with my CCC. However, when I removed my CIC to sell the car, the USB port still worked with the CCC.

I bought all the components from the OEM USB retrofit kit... the MULF, the USB hub, the harnesses...everything. I downloaded the manual and bought all the parts from the online parts listing and got the MULF on ebay. It was a fair amount of work, but in the end it was great. I just followed the factory instructions for the wiring and it worked out fine. Believe me, you don't already have any of the parts necessary to make it work - you have to put in the port and ALL associated wiring, and the module to make it work. For whatever reason, BMW says that the the 6FL would not work on my car (too early of a build), but it did ultimately work.
Glad to read that you are successful in your retrofit. Do you know what you build date is?
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #1271
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazorp View Post
Can anyone tell me if it is possible and what parts are needed to install the USB port in a 2006 330i (E90)? I am looking to add the port in the center console.
USB/AUX plug unit (84109237654)

Quote:
Perhaps the cable for the phone cradle is USB and that is why there is no USB port, only the AUX audio 2.5mm jack?
No. There's a different cable from the USB/AUX unit to MULF2 or TCU units. The USB options were not available till '08 model line. You will need to find the necessary cable/s and possiblity MULF2 High to make the USB system work.

Quote:
I have read for hours about USB retrofit, but it seems nobody has my same year and options so i am unsure what parts i need, the cost, etc.
Bro, we're all in the same boat as you.
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s

Last edited by Thumperx; 10-28-2012 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #1272
Tallgeese00MS2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Needing some help, I recently updated my iphone and itouch and now when I connect my iPhone it wont read at all through iDrive and the iphone screen will just read "device connected". When I connect my itouch, it will only play through AUX and will not connect through the usb (will not let me use any steering wheel functions like changing songs or scroll through music on iDrive screen). Is this due to the recent update or is it something else???
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #1273
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikex228 View Post
Needing some help, I recently updated my iphone and itouch and now when I connect my iPhone it wont read at all through iDrive and the iphone screen will just read "device connected". When I connect my itouch, it will only play through AUX and will not connect through the usb (will not let me use any steering wheel functions like changing songs or scroll through music on iDrive screen). Is this due to the recent update or is it something else???
If your car has a production date of March 2010 or later you can update ConnectedDrive. Should resolve your issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #1274
Tallgeese00MS2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
If your car has a production date of March 2010 or later you can update ConnectedDrive. Should resolve your issue.
It's actually a 2009 e90 =( I'm using an iPhone 4s and just tried syncing it again, will not read through USB at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #1275
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikex228 View Post
It's actually a 2009 e90 =( I'm using an iPhone 4s and just tried syncing it again, will not read through USB at all.
If you're still under warranty you might want to check if there's an update they can perform if you bring your car in.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #1276
Tallgeese00MS2
Private First Class
Rep

Alright I guess I'll check with the dealer next time I go in, thanks !
Appreciate 0