E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > I wanted to kill my I-Drive today...

01-26-2007, 07:49 PM   #1
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

I wanted to kill my I-Drive today...

POS thing. First of the navigation instructions aren't very good at anticipating and giving the information the driver needs to know. Things like "destination on your left" that a MB does. It also doesn't tell you the building w/ the house number; once you get within a block or so of your destination it tells you you've arrived and then shuts off. Arrived where?! I'm still in my car in the middle of the street. Which building is it?

To top it off, I entered 220 20th Avenue today and it gave me directions to 1 20th Avenue for some reason. I think it had to do w/ telling it to detour a traffic jam. Anyways, I ended up on the block of 1 20th Avenue, parking and then walking around the block trying to find 220 realizing the navi is full of shit and getting back in the car. Another bad thing, you can't - or atleast i haven't found out how to - display the current address the navi is bringing you too. So when I got back in my car and the navi said I was at the right place, I couldn't check to see if the right place was 220.

Anyways 5 minues later I arrived on the block of 220 20th Avenue at which point the navigation turned off before I could figure out which ****ing building 220 was. So I parked the car on the block and again ran around in the rain looking for building 220.

What a POS. Nerve wracking as hell. And the voice inputs are pissing me off too. The sound fromt he wiper blades is enough for the system to think you're saying something and to tell you it couldn't understand what you were talking about or give you some other, completely unrelated, function like vent control.

/rant :mad:

Widebody 335i Project Car BUILD | PHOTOSHOOT
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

Horrible situation you've been put through . I've had similar experiences with people honking at me because the thing disappeared and I don't bother with the voice inputs ( i grab a codrive ). Those just seem to piss me off more cause it sounds dumb to me haha.

When I get around my destination, I just start looking around since I usually know the name of the place so I don't really have problems with my I-Drive /Nav. Maybe you should consider getting a cheap GPS system just to put on the side instead of the Nav in the I-Drive which would make it completely obsolete, but at least you wouldn't be pulling your hair out while driving?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2007, 08:07 PM   #3
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

The lack of final direction (left side etc.) is a glaring omission in the system. The navteq db has this info; the BMW system could provide it. In fact, in my article in the Dec. issue of the Roundel, this was a major criticism in the satnav section.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2007, 11:45 PM   #4
douger
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

I am so glad I didn't get iDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2007, 12:29 AM   #5
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira View Post
The lack of final direction (left side etc.) is a glaring omission in the system. The navteq db has this info; the BMW system could provide it. In fact, in my article in the Dec. issue of the Roundel, this was a major criticism in the satnav section.
Thanks!
Maybe BMW will take heed of this flaw and FIX it
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2007, 12:34 AM   #6
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

i was encourage not to get an i-drive
      01-27-2007, 01:05 AM   #7
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

a lot of headaches today, but either way i'd still rather have the idriv ein the end believe it or not.

yes it's slow, yes it's not the best at wht it does, but i feel like w/o you'd lose part of the car - it's nice having the display and all the adjustable options displayed there

and the navi still...well...semi-works

Widebody 335i Project Car BUILD | PHOTOSHOOT
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2007, 09:26 AM   #8
poiney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

I ordered I-drive built with system for two reasons: 1) to ensurre full electronic functionality/compatibility with BMW system and 2) built in to the dash (i.e., not portable).

If there were an aftermarket system that could meet these requirements safely, I believe I and others would have gone this route.

Some simple SW changes like POI, which side of street, displaying address of POI, speed increase, etc., would get 90% of the way towards being competitive with other Navis. So dissappointing.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2007, 09:30 AM   #9
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

from what i heard, i wouldnt have gotten a 335 w/ i drive if they had one on the lot that was exactly as i wanted it + i drive
      01-27-2007, 12:55 PM   #10
MacAttack
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast enough

Garage List
2007 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironic View Post
a lot of headaches today, but either way i'd still rather have the idriv ein the end believe it or not.

yes it's slow, yes it's not the best at wht it does, but i feel like w/o you'd lose part of the car - it's nice having the display and all the adjustable options displayed there

and the navi still...well...semi-works
+1....even though my NAV still doesn't work. Looks like they disconnected something in the back when they installed my iPod adapter. Still love it though...just takes time to get used to it.
      01-27-2007, 01:11 PM   #11
tirana
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 6MT + F25 35i AT

It's a German design feature to help us overweight North Americans get some exercise. A whole block! The horror
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2007, 07:21 PM   #12
E91 Dude
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirana View Post
It's a German design feature to help us overweight North Americans get some exercise. A whole block! The horror
Dang right! I want to open the door and have the E92's seatbelt arm place me in the building of the address I punched in.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2007, 08:33 PM   #13
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E91 Dude View Post
Dang right! I want to open the door and have the E92's seatbelt arm place me in the building of the address I punched in.
Close. You can now have the BMW Assist operator type the entry in for you and send it to the car.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2007, 01:50 PM   #14
TahoeOG
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

My feedback on the idrive:

I really do'nt think the idrive is slow at all. I must admit as soon as i turn on the car and you move it to nav, or entertainment, etc... Then yeah it takes a couple of seconds, but i rarely do that, i turn on the car and go. The radio is automatically on and i changed my present with the steering wheel button and when i do switch it(idrive to entertainment,etc...)then it works fast.

I want to add that the appearance of having the screen built in is a plus. I'm grad it's not touch screen so you don't see all the fingerprints and after time the fingerprints as smoother on the screen then the rest of the screen. NO matter how much you clean it, if you use it enough. Well withing drive view.

About it's features, idrive i believe is great. You get additional options on climate, seconds for your headlights to be one, equilizer, etc... I can't complain about that More feature is just more fun.

NAVIGATION. Ok honestly i never had navigation to compare to. I'm extremely happy with it. It tells me exactly where i want to go. I tried it out numerous times all the times it's been 100% accurate. Here is my result.

one time i was at the mall and my girl wanted to pick something up in Barns and noble. SOooo the nearest one i know was 30-40 minutes away... Luckinly the nav found on that was 8 minutes away... That was a BIG gas saver! BUT...

See i decided to reply to this thread due to the fact, that your problem happened to me as well. I followed the directions and got of the this little ramp thing and all of the sudden the computer says "you have arrived at your destination"... I look around me and i'm like, WTF?... Their was nothing around me but half done buildings.. So i'm thinking where the F is B&N??? So i remember that area a little bit and remember their was a B&N around somewhere and after a more drive i see it in a shopping center. But i was thinking that was weird how it doesn't take me to the door. I had to drive an additional 1 or 2 minutes to get to the place.

BUT... Although that was a little problem and can take some times getting used to, to take me back home, i new the far way from where i was located... Would of took me around 40 minutes, took me 17 minutes. It took me to some wierd as back road. BUT their wasn't a sould in the road..> it was awsome. Like a road nobody knew about. I saw maybe 2 cars and this long smooth straight/curvy spirit driving road. Took me all the way to the main street near my house. 17 minutes. So it has it's advantage and dis. But you can't expect the idrive to direct to to the front elevator of destination as well. It's a computer to tell you very EXTREMLy close to where you have to go... That does not mean we can shut off out brains follow it 100%. If you see a dead end and the nav is telling your straight ahead.... Try finding another route... The redirecting only takes about no more than 2 seconds ever. It's either .5seconds to redirect or 1 second... The longest it's taken was 2 whole seconds (I counted)... Good luck and happy driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2007, 02:32 PM   #15
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirana View Post
Have you ever seen a German? Sgt. Schultz was no exageration. But anyway... it sounds like BMW has done their usual 80% finished job with respect to yet another technical feature. The good news is that they still charge more than most manufacturers for EVERYTHING (i.e. $595 for Sirius radio.. give me a break).

I think some of the problems and quirks with NAV systems in general are not the fault of the unit or provider, but the fact that this is still really an emerging technology at the consumer level and some addresses are just not accurately recorded in the databases.

That said, my Garmin Nuvi 660 does an awesome job of directing me to the address and doesn't say I'm there until I'm really there. It also tells me whether it is left or right (and tells me this in advance too, so I can be in the proper lane and ready to turn). The Garmin also interprets text to speech pretty darn well, and tells me street names out loud, etc. This is really nice when you don't have the time to look at the screen.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2007, 11:25 PM   #16
calvino
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: had e90, 330i mystic blue

Garage List
2006 e90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Have you ever seen a German? Sgt. Schultz was no exageration. But anyway... it sounds like BMW has done their usual 80% finished job with respect to yet another technical feature. The good news is that they still charge more than most manufacturers for EVERYTHING (i.e. $595 for Sirius radio.. give me a break).

I think some of the problems and quirks with NAV systems in general are not the fault of the unit or provider, but the fact that this is still really an emerging technology at the consumer level and some addresses are just not accurately recorded in the databases.

That said, my Garmin Nuvi 660 does an awesome job of directing me to the address and doesn't say I'm there until I'm really there. It also tells me whether it is left or right (and tells me this in advance too, so I can be in the proper lane and ready to turn). The Garmin also interprets text to speech pretty darn well, and tells me street names out loud, etc. This is really nice when you don't have the time to look at the screen.
the guy at the dealer told me to get a nuvi instead of idrive.

I don't understand I-drive why it have to be everything using the click wheel why they can make it simple like touchscreen that will be cool :rocks:
      01-30-2007, 11:27 PM   #17
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Have you ever seen a German? Sgt. Schultz was no exageration.
Sgt. Schultz (John Banner) was an Austrian Jew who was in a concentration camp before being forced to leave his homeland. He is quite ironically best known for playing a German POW camp guard as a paradoy.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2007, 11:53 PM   #18
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

for some reason my dealer's CA's are "poo poo'ing" the iDrive/Nav... everyone i know who has got a car there (about 6) all said that they told them to get a portable one, and forget about idrive... hmmm
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2007, 12:02 AM   #19
328xic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi coupe

i love my nav and idrive...

2010 E90 328 XDrive 6spd, Black Sapphire, Black Dakota, M Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2007, 06:54 AM   #20
aarnt
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvino View Post
the guy at the dealer told me to get a nuvi instead of idrive.

I don't understand I-drive why it have to be everything using the click wheel why they can make it simple like touchscreen that will be cool :rocks:
Already mentioned, you would need to clean the screen too often but that was not the reason they did not implement a touch screen. With the touch screen you need to lift your arm and aim with your finger to a small icon or button. This will grab your attention for far longer than the current iDrive does. I agree that some more buttons near the controller would be handy, or on the steering wheel. It is safer to have controls in the places your arms rest anyway than in places a driver should touch while driving anyway. Think about it, AUDI and MB are implementing the same idea, MB had it with buttons arround the screen, and the screen was placed low on the dash, and now they will change it to a higher position with a central controller and some buttons.

Several companies are following this pattern, more will do so soon. It's the safer way known to control so many functions while driving. Speech recognition could surpass it, but it is too early IMO.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2007, 07:12 AM   #21
Shäferhunde
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 328xiT

Garage List
2007 E91 328xiT  [0.00]
Quote:
Have you ever seen a German? Sgt. Schultz was no exageration.
Hey Dummkopf! I resent that remark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328xic View Post
i love my nav and idrive...
+1
I absolutely love my I-Drive.
      01-31-2007, 09:39 AM   #22
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironic View Post
What a POS. Nerve wracking as hell. And the voice inputs are pissing me off too. The sound fromt he wiper blades is enough for the system to think you're saying something and to tell you it couldn't understand what you were talking about or give you some other, completely unrelated, function like vent control.

/rant :mad:
When you use voice input - don't start speaking after the beep, wait for the small speech icon to appear in the bottom left corner of the idrive display.

You will never here the words 'I'm sorry I didn't understand you' again.

Obviously there is a bit of a glitch in the system and the voice recognition program is not 'ready' until the logo appears.
Appreciate 0