E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > New Product - WW Meth Kit for Flash Tunes!

12-24-2011, 03:41 PM   #23
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

For those that use 91 octane with this meth kit, will it effectively increase it to 93 octane?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #24
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

Can these kits be integrated into other piggys besides jb ?
      12-24-2011, 07:40 PM   #25
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

Can these kits be integrated into other piggys besides jb ?
      12-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #26
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_davis View Post
Theres no risk in the meth failing because the Flash tunes are designed to run on pump gas anyways. I run meth with Cobb because my IATs never go above ambient and therefore my boost remains relatively low. I also raise my effective octane level when running 93.
Thank you, not everyone on here has been brainwashed by a certain vendors "scate tactics". I can definitely use this in coordination with my flash to do exactly what you said, get a nice little bump in power, lower my IATs and raise the octane level in my horrible CA 91 pump gas.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #27
dfv2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 CTS-V

One person tell me WHY you need a failsafe on an N54 for a meth flow failure to any available flash map, alpha, beta or otherwise.

Not theory, not other platform history, not feelings... Factual stuff guys.

ON AN N54, WHY DO YOU NEED A FAILSAFE. Simple. One more time for you; Outside of the factory knock system, why do you need a failsafe?
      12-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #28
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfv2 View Post
One person tell me WHY you need a failsafe on an N54 for a meth flow failure to any available flash map, alpha, beta or otherwise.

Not theory, not other platform history, not feelings... Factual stuff guys.

ON AN N54, WHY DO YOU NEED A FAILSAFE. Simple. One more time for you; Outside of the factory knock system, why do you need a failsafe?
Where the real benefits of meth come into play is when you can raise timing as a result of meth flow.

In those cases; a failsafe is needed..Case and point: Sevak

If you can guarantee that, when running a pumpgas map, the timing won't raise beyond pumpgas levels, then a failsafe *shouldn't* be needed.

...but then you won't really be reaping the full benefit of the good stuff.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #29
dfv2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 CTS-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
Where the real benefits of meth come into play is when you can raise timing as a result of meth flow.

In those cases; a failsafe is needed..Case and point: Sevak

If you can guarantee that, when running a pumpgas map, the timing won't raise beyond pumpgas levels, then a failsafe *shouldn't* be needed.

...but then you won't really be reaping the full benefit of the good stuff.
I understand the use of meth completely. I'm a subie fanboy, a community where 1,000's of engines are lost due to poor tunes for a variety of reasons. I've blown two of my own!

I'm looking for n54 engine failure on flash tunes due to meth flow interruption. I'm not trying to lead the witness, but I'm curious if the n54 stock knock system IS a sufficient failsafe, I never see lost motors on this forum. Other platforms, it's a daily thread topic.
      12-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #30
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfv2 View Post
I understand the use of meth completely. I'm a subie fanboy, a community where 1,000's of engines are lost due to poor tunes for a variety of reasons. I've blown two of my own!

I'm looking for n54 engine failure on flash tunes due to meth flow interruption. I'm not trying to lead the witness, but I'm curious if the n54 stock knock system IS a sufficient failsafe, I never see lost motors on this forum. Other platforms, it's a daily thread topic.
This platform simply isn't at that level yet.

The N54 knock system IS good and the N54 IS quite strong; as proved by the 5000 JB3s sold with a small number of failures.

If you're looking for an N54 that has blown already in the situation you've described; it simply hasn't happened. Not because this platform is that resilient...rather not evolved to the point where everyone is pushing 500whp on an OTS Flash with a meth W/O a failsafe.

That said, it is best practice to proactively cut timing immediately after the conditions won't support the advanced level of timing...before the knock sensors have to react, meaning whatever undesirable damage (whether large or small) is done. That is common sense; and indisputable.

So if it is best practice, why not?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #31
Slidewayz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Knock sensors pull timing when they sense a detonation event.

I would rather not have the detonation event, the damage from which is not aways immediate and catastrophic. The damage from detonation can also be gradual and cumulative.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 12:41 AM   #32
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidewayz View Post
Knock sensors pull timing when they sense a detonation event.

I would rather not have the detonation event, the damage from which is not aways immediate and catastrophic. The damage from detonation can also be gradual and cumulative.
All piggy's will have some detonation and correction.
Appreciate 0