E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > My experience with 6FL and iPod

11-15-2007, 08:39 AM   #23
gloster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i MT, sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13eastie View Post
Hi Folks,

So, I'm currently using 6FL with a standard iPod USB cable and a brand new iPod classic.
The functionality is very different through the y-cable. I recommend getting the y-cable. You are seeing mass storage integration not ipod integration since you are not using the y-cable. You might as well be using a thumb drive instead of an iPod.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 07:01 PM   #24
Phantomwar
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: E92 M-Sport 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloster View Post
The functionality is very different through the y-cable. I recommend getting the y-cable. You are seeing mass storage integration not ipod integration since you are not using the y-cable. You might as well be using a thumb drive instead of an iPod.
Is the Y cable instead of the 6FL option ? Or is the Y cable an additonal cable instead of the standard I-pod USB cable ?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 02:26 PM   #25
Cryokid
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93

Y Cable is used with the 6FL option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomwar View Post
Is the Y cable instead of the 6FL option ? Or is the Y cable an additonal cable instead of the standard I-pod USB cable ?
The Y Cable connects to the usb port and the Aux In. When you plug your ipod in, you get full access to your ipod controls and playlists.
      12-26-2007, 04:12 PM   #26
laurenty
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Garage List
2008 328is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by astensland View Post
And yet another thing I have discovered. There seems to be a problem with the iPod shutdown. When I turn off my car, it seems that the iPod is not turned off. This means that if I am away from my car for a while, the iPod battery is flat when I come back. I guess this is not healthy for the iPod battery, and it is also annoying if you want to take the iPod out of the car and it is almost out of power. This has to be a bug somewhere in the software, I mean the iPod should definitly power off when you turn off the car (at least after a few minutes of stand-by)...... Anyone else experienced this?

EDIT: typo....
The power issue with the iPod 6FL IS annoying indeed. When I turn off the car the iPod stays on and says "ready to disconnect". You can't turn it off without unplugging it. Is this a bug that has been fixed in a newer version of progman?

BTW, I got my car last saturday, how can I tell what version of progman I have?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 08:58 AM   #27
cjmroma
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d

Any idea where the y-cable can be bought on-line (or even better, in Italy). I tried e-bay but no use.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 12:43 PM   #28
jmonier
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92, 2002 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmroma View Post
Any idea where the y-cable can be bought on-line (or even better, in Italy). I tried e-bay but no use.
It's BMW specific so I think the only source would be a BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 01:47 PM   #29
adrian1480
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435icp

looks like someone else could use the SIB!

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B653007g.htm

The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly, who know the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who, at the best, know the triumph of high achievement and who, at the worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly so that their place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 08:30 PM   #30
Flat Out 32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: my feet.

BMW could implement the same software used in the Bluetooth phone feature, alphabetical order, for iPod browsing. As many, I have 20+GB and it takes me an eternity to listen to the Wu! My solution as of now? My Favorites playlist, rating method, which eliminates most of the music in the device. Not good enough.

Georgie Vazquez
Mayaguez, PR
R.I.P. 335i, 010 135i here!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 09:50 PM   #31
tryangles
LA Native
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 sdrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryokid View Post
The Y Cable connects to the usb port and the Aux In. When you plug your ipod in, you get full access to your ipod controls and playlists.
And here I thought, the Glendale SA was bs'ing me. I brought my vehicle in reporting problems with my Ipod not showing playlists. The SA refused to updated my progman and said that I had to purchase the Y-cable to resolve the issue. While I know that his resolution is total bull crap at least I know there is some credence to what he was saying.
Appreciate 0