E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Pre-LCI & LCI OEM Xenon Upgrade Options Thread - OSS, LS3 & Others

01-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

Pre-LCI & LCI OEM Xenon Upgrade Options Thread - OSS, LS3 & Others

Hi All,

I have been trying to piece info together on all of the options available to us for modifying our headlights. I am looking to have mine done and it has been a task finding out all the different companies that do the work and getting honest reviews about quality, service time, warranty and customer service. I will list the options and those who provide them:
  • Black Out Housing & Shrouds
  • Black Out Turn Signals
  • LED Ring Installation
  • Quad Projectors
  • Black Out Amber Reflectors
  • Custom Shrouds
  • Color Coded Shrouds
  • Color Coded Amber Reflectors

There are different companies that perform some if not all of these mods and I've found:
  • OSS Designs[intermediate]
  • BavX [least expensive]
  • 180customs [most expensive]

I will also make mention of DIY projects and those who have performed them along with pics.
  • FDriller - Custom rings & Ambient LED rings
  • Marc[LUXAngeleyes] - Custom Carbon Fiber Ambers & Rings

E92 vs E90 Modding - Whats the Dif?

You may find the cost of service for customizing E90 headlights is more than E92 lights. There is a reason for that. E92 & M3 lights can be baked open and resealed. The process is not so simple with the E90. The plastic around the lens must be deformed and pried apart or what some do is cut them. Make sure to ask which process your service provider is doing. As far as I know, 180customs cuts them open. I don't know about OSS and BavX.

I found a comparison to share. Be warned. This was a DIY cutting of the lens, this is not a vendors work. I just wanted you to get an idea of the ease and difference between the two.

OSS - Based in FL

OSS uses Umnitza rings. They are best known for their work on E92's but they do work on E90's as well. Options that they offer include black out of housing, amber and turn signal lens. In addition, they have color matched housings/shrouds. The main problem with OSS is getting in touch with them. If you send them a pm or email don't expect a reply on the first attempt. You may have to contact them several times but people eventually get through. Their prices are fair. Look to spend roughly $700 for a full black out not including shipping. Turn around time is usually 2-3 days and people are really happy with the end product. I have heard of condensation in the lights but there aren't too many E90's that I know of running them. Luis, the owner seems to really stand behind his work so I am sure he would correct any issues if they were to arise. I may be mistaken but warranty is 1 year. Click here for their dedicated thread.

LS3 (BavX) - Based out of CA

BavX has a very appealing set up they are offering but just like OSS they are hard to get a hold of as of late. They have proprietary rings that they call Lite System 3. They have gone through various versions and are now on the third. The LCI pics above are the 3rd generation. The Pre-lci are the 2nd generation. Per their thread found here the rings are $350 and the install is $200. They offer a black out option at no cost. This is the best deal out there at this time. Their warranty is 1 year as well. Unfortunately there aren't too many people rocking them in order to get reviews about durability and condensation. Once again, they would likely stand behind their product but you need to get a hold of them first before you can get their product or relay quality issues. Turn around time is stated to be 2-3 days.

180customs (OneEighty) - Based out of NY

The full meal deal right here. One eighty has done some amazing work. They work on all different makes of cars and their owner states that he has done conversions on over 300 pairs of headlights. They primarily work on G35's or that is where they started. I spoke to one of their reps and they have done mods on a few E90's and other bimmer lights. They assured me that their work is quality and from what I have seen and read; I don't doubt it. They have proprietary rings called "Orb Rings" which they sell by themselves as a $300 kit with instructions [3 failures out of 110 in a year]. But if you are looking to do the full overhaul, then they have custom shrouds, OEM custom writing on your projectors, quad projectors, carbon fiber accents, color coded housings and much more. Since they have the most options out there you can tally up a fair sized bill. For basic options they charge $300 for the orbs and $400 to install them. That's $700 rings installed no black out. Additional error free hid projectors are $600. Their turnaround time depends on the work you are having done but should be an average of 2-3 days. Warranty is 1 year. They are not a vendor on this forum so google them for their info.

********* Custom Ambient LED Rings - DIY

********* created his custom headlights with inspiration from other DIY'ers but he put his own little twist on it. He blacked out the ambers and put circuitry in place that allows for the Angel Eyes to be brightened during the day and dimmed in the night. It is a highly skilled DIY job but if you are confident in the skills needed click here to read more on his work. He has said he will roll out a full DIY at some point. There is a youtube clip of them in action but I don't know how to embed here. Go to his thread if you want to see it.

MDS82 [Luxangeleyes] - Custom LED Rings & Carbon Fiber Amber - DIY

Marc, owner and creator of the famous LUX angel eye led bulbs for the E9X community put together this set that he called the ultimate E90 headlights. He laid real carbon fiber over the ambers and made custom LED rings. The specs of his set up can be found here. I have read posts where he said he does not offer this service anymore so don't go flooding him with PM's.

------------------------------------------------

Thats all I have for now. If there is another DIY or Professional service that I missed please let me know. Also, if any of the vendors or DIY'ers I mentioned want something included in the description let me know and I will add it.

I should just make mention that there are non OEM options like Umnitza, Depo or Fishcake headlights. They were outside the scope of this thread. On a minor note. My advice is go OEM or go with a very well established retrofitter like one eighty. There are too many quality issues with non oem based setups.

Last edited by mapleridge; 02-19-2012 at 01:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Night Shots

Night Shots

I was given night shots from a member. I will post all night shots.

OSS

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

reserved.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 12:53 AM   #4
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 SBM E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
I bought mine from Umnitza but I can't remember if they have the option to mail in for the install....pretty sure they do. Their price for the orion V2 is very good....less than what LUX V3's cost. And then if you do the install yourself....enough said...
      01-23-2012, 03:13 AM   #5
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo335i View Post
I bought mine from Umnitza but I can't remember if they have the option to mail in for the install....pretty sure they do. Their price for the orion V2 is very good....less than what LUX V3's cost. And then if you do the install yourself....enough said...
I believe e92 lights are a lot easier to mod as you can open the housing with a lot less effort than the e90's. I believe most people cut the e90 housings open if I am not mistaken. It would be good to find out what process each customizer uses. I know 180customs cuts them open. Of course if you have the cohones to open up your housings and the skills to seal them properly then you are set. We need you as a vendor. Buying the rings would be a DIY venture. Not sure if I would send my lights to umnitza to cut open and reseal. The few who have bought the depo retrofits have shown condensation in the lights.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 04:08 AM   #6
speedfan
Major
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hi,
Im living in Vietnam, where it's pretty humid. I've had the OSS kit for 6 months & just passed the raining season, & I dont see any condensation issue.

Btw, during the time on inquiry, Luis was helpful & responsive with my questions. It wasn't hard for me to get in touch with him.

I think it's well worth my money with the transaction.
If I were to start all over again, I'd still go with OSS.
A very happy camper here!

Frozen Grey. Dry CF Roof. Vorsteiner Double Sided CF Boot Lid. OSS. BMW Performance Aero Kit. BMW Performance CF Diffuser Cover. BMW Performance CF Trim. Robson Design Steering Wheel. Advan RS. Michelin PSS. H&R Touring Cup Kit. BMW Performance Brakes. Eisenmann Race Rear Muffler. ESS Directflash
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #7
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Yeah I got lucky with my shop here. They were really good with doing work on headlights and fairly priced.

But the Umnitza's are OSS....and they have a good rep as far as I've seen...
      01-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Very nice compilation of angel eye setups in the first post !!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
OSS ftw.
      01-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #10
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo335i View Post
Yeah I got lucky with my shop here. They were really good with doing work on headlights and fairly priced.

But the Umnitza's are OSS....and they have a good rep as far as I've seen...
I made mention that OSS uses their rings. They are truly nice rings. They get great reviews. My only issue with umnitza is their retrofitting of Depo lights. There are a handful of people who have posted when they bought them and they seemed to all have an issue whether it was mis-aligned projectors, condensation in the light, or misrepresentation of the product. This isn't about them though so I will try not to go into it. Just trying to highlight E90 Xenon customization options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
Very nice compilation of angel eye setups in the first post !!!!!!!!
Indeed. The vendors on here plus the DIY'ers have done some excellent work. I just wish their services were more readily available. I have been trying to contact OSS and BavX with no success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post
OSS ftw.
OSS is beautiful and like speedfan posted. He went through a rainy season in Vietnam and no condensation in his lights. That is quality.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 11:50 PM   #11
Chrispy650
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 LCI

I posted these in the LS3 Official Gallery but here are my V2 unfortunately they do not make this color anymore but I love this color which is basically the same as the OSS as I compared to a friend of mine. I can however say that BavX did a great job sealing mine. Had it for over a year now and going on my second winter with no condensation issues whatsoever. And this is actually the same car as the first two pics in BavX just removed my cf splitter

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #12
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy650 View Post
I posted these in the LS3 Official Gallery but here are my V2 unfortunately they do not make this color anymore but I love this color which is basically the same as the OSS as I compared to a friend of mine. I can however say that BavX did a great job sealing mine. Had it for over a year now and going on my second winter with no condensation issues whatsoever. And this is actually the same car as the first two pics in BavX just removed my cf splitter
your ride is hot. Thanks for sharing your experience. Thats what this thread is all about. I wish bavX would answer pm's and phone messages. I personally like the ls3 v3 over all the other options, except 180 customs. BavX has the best price and I love the color of the rings. 180 does everything nice but I cannot afford that.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 01:04 AM   #13
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy650 View Post

Sorry to but in this thread again....but that's exactly how mine look. I just wish I could get a pic like that....any suggestions? I've tried changing shutter speeds but that didn't work either....
      01-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #14
mrj25
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
your ride is hot. Thanks for sharing your experience. Thats what this thread is all about. I wish bavX would answer pm's and phone messages. I personally like the ls3 v3 over all the other options, except 180 customs. BavX has the best price and I love the color of the rings. 180 does everything nice but I cannot afford that.
first of all, great write up on all of the LED AEs. I personally would have gone with either OSS or LS3 V3 as i had seen both in person before i made the purchase on the LS3s. i went with BavX as they are close to me and they have worked on my car prior to the AE upgrade. also i prefer the AEs to be more white than blue-ish

Have you tried calling Lawrence or Brad at BavX today? They should be in the office and are pretty good at returning calls.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 07:59 PM   #15
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrj25 View Post
first of all, great write up on all of the LED AEs. I personally would have gone with either OSS or LS3 V3 as i had seen both in person before i made the purchase on the LS3s. i went with BavX as they are close to me and they have worked on my car prior to the AE upgrade. also i prefer the AEs to be more white than blue-ish

Have you tried calling Lawrence or Brad at BavX today? They should be in the office and are pretty good at returning calls.
I left them a message on the weekend but they didn't return the call. I am with you 100% about the whiteness in the rings. If I could get a hold of them I would send them to BavX. I will try to call again tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #16
Turbo_Chargers
Rep
Drives: Honda S2000

great info for when i pick up my e93, subscribed thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #17
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Chargers View Post
great info for when i pick up my e93, subscribed thanks
Thanks. Please make sure to keep us posted on what you chose and your experience.

On another note. I have not seen pre-lci lights with either the clear part of the corner lens removed or cut out slits ala 180. Add some LED signals from autolumination and it would be pretty sick.

Option 1 - Removing the clear part of the lens entirely

Option 2 - Cutting 180customs style slits

Autolumination 7507 LED Turn Signal Bulbs

12w most powerful and expensive

60 SMT LED's

44 SMT LED's w/Canbus
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #18
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Updated the first post with e90 vs e92 comparison.

Anyone use the side LED's from Autolumination?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 12:19 AM   #19
Chrispy650
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
Updated the first post with e90 vs e92 comparison.

Anyone use the side LED's from Autolumination?
I am using one of them. Forgot which one in my rear 2 turn signals. But I coded out my car so I wouldn't get any errors.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #20
Iceburg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 B8.5

Nice write up!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #21
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
whichone's did you end up getting? I'm thinking of just getting '11 OEM xnons but I need to figure out how to rewire it to work!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 12:40 AM   #22
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisboszko View Post
whichone's did you end up getting? I'm thinking of just getting '11 OEM xnons but I need to figure out how to rewire it to work!
i didn't pick one because I might get euro xenons. LCI xenons are really nice. Get them if you can. If was to pick one I would get the bavX LS3's because I like the whiteness in the ring but the brightness of OSS is soo amazing.
Appreciate 0