Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Winter driving with RWD - snow tires / wheels discussion

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #155
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post
Saw something today that reminded me of this thread, and it's sadly not uncommon... was heading up to Lowe's on my lunch break in my beater Jeep and in the next lane over and just in front of me was a shiny black Merc G-something or other... looked really nice, except the tires were obviously on the wear bars and had been for some time. But AWD! Now who do you think is more likely to wreck next time shit falls from the sky, me in my 335i coupe, or Mrs. Merc-driver?

Unfortunately, people just don't understand that a crap car with good tires is going to go more safely and securely than a good car with crap tires... or they just don't care, or are trying to "get by as long as they can..." I don't get it. Good tires are the cheapest insurance you can buy, next to acquiring driving skill.
Its because the initial investment is high and many people don't realize the value of their purchase.

I try to explain it as

"Your tires are supposed to be like your car's feet. You wouldn't step into a ditch the same way you try to avoid potholes in your car.
You don't wear mesh-type running shoes in 3ft deep snow in winter right? Why not? It gets the job done of covering your feet, doesn't it?
Same principle applies to your car. If you give your car "boots" in winter it'll handle better than if you leave it on flip flops."

Some people get the analogy, some don't.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #156
ZixxSpeed
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

i just drove mine here in Minnesota where we got up to 14" of snow and yes it sucked!!!!!
      03-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #157
subarucanada
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ

Have you considered a vehicle with AWD? No matter how much you may love cars, the winter often makes even the best drivers lose confidence in their driving ability.

We recently put Canadians Journalists and enthusiasts in a series of dynamic driving exercises in simulated extreme winter weather conditions, not unlike the ones found in Canada and we have the video for you!

Watch it here

Or Visit subaru.ca/LegacyWinter for more information!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #158
kdbryce
I have to return some video tapes
United_States
Rep
Drives: e70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by subarucanada View Post
Have you considered a vehicle with AWD? No matter how much you may love cars, the winter often makes even the best drivers lose confidence in their driving ability.

We recently put Canadians Journalists and enthusiasts in a series of dynamic driving exercises in simulated extreme winter weather conditions, not unlike the ones found in Canada and we have the video for you!

Watch it here

Or Visit subaru.ca/LegacyWinter for more information!
used to have awd

rwd is so much more fun

better driving experience > keeping the car in the garage 2 or 3 days every winter when snow tires won't do
      03-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #159
Clammy
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT

Get good winter tires and adjust your driving to the conditions and you'll have no issues. I did, I do, and I don't.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #160
runningdoc
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Upstate NY snows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
Blizzak tires and common sense.
+1

In upstate NY, like you and I use Blizzaks... get rims, so you can change them yourself... quick and easy, plus gives u the chance to look over the brakes, and lines while changing them in the fall/spring...

BTW, how'd u make out?
Appreciate 0