E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Finally Getting my WaveTrac installed!!

03-17-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Finally Getting my WaveTrac installed!!

Now that WI is thawing (at least temporarily) I am finally getting my WaveTrac LSD and Dinan Stage 1 suspension and M3 lower control arms installed this coming Monday. I drop my car off at the shop Sunday night.

Any tips from those with Wavetrac that I should pass on to the shop to avoid problems?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

oh yeah, and assuming my stock sport suspension is in good shape, I will probably be selling. PM me if intersted
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435iX, FBO

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemetry View Post
Now that WI is thawing (at least temporarily) I am finally getting my WaveTrac LSD and Dinan Stage 1 suspension and M3 lower control arms installed this coming Monday. I drop my car off at the shop Sunday night.

Any tips from those with Wavetrac that I should pass on to the shop to avoid problems?

Thanks
Subscribed.... I am on the wait list for a core swap ! Looking forward to hearing your review and experience.

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I will definately write a review...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Awesome, good luck man you'll love it!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 07:36 PM   #6
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

Can't wait to hear about it. I hope to have mine soon enough.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 07:42 PM   #7
Bimmer This
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
Awesome, good luck man you'll love it!
+1. Especially around corners!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 04:48 AM   #8
Aridk
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

Thanks
You should have done it before the winter, the car just copes so much better under winter conditions.

I would recomend to do the m3 subframebussings as well now that you´ll have the rearend more or less taken apart. It makes the rear end so much more planted.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 07:41 AM   #9
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I was told getting the bushings done at the same time wouldn't really save labor. Thanks for the advice though. Also, the stuff was just delivered about 5 weeks ago, so didn't really ahve a chance to get it installed before winter. I'll post reviews...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 09:47 AM   #10
Aridk
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
I was told getting the bushings done at the same time wouldn't really save labor. Thanks for the advice though. Also, the stuff was just delivered about 5 weeks ago, so didn't really ahve a chance to get it installed before winter. I'll post reviews...
It´ll save you a great deal of time to do the bushings now when the exhaust and diff is off.
The subframe is suspended in 4 long bolts, loosen them and lover the hole subframe with brakes and all (take of the rear wheels frist and the 2 brakehoses+ handbrake cable) and you are ready to work on it
2 men can lift it with ease, our plan was to use a hydralicpress, but the subframe was too large to go in the press so we had to drill the old ones out, we then used a tool to fit bushing from a Fiat Punto to get the new ones in.
Harold Autowerks sell´s the tool if you don´t use a Bmw shop.

Last edited by Aridk; 03-21-2011 at 01:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #11
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks
hey jdemetry, are you going to put on the rear guide rods ?

http://www.hpashop.com/product.sc?pr...categoryId=176

and

or just the toe links:

Harold, told me once:

DaFish: M3 rear control arms and toe links - optional?

Harold: If you are not tracking the car, do the guide rod kit only, skip on the upper and lower arms. The aftermarket toe links takes out some of the bind in the rear suspension and will make the rear end track better under hard acceleration and decelleration.

"do the guide rod kit only".... then again, the toe links sound like we should do that with all the power....

Anybody have any suggestions?

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 07:02 PM   #12
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

The only M3 bits I have are the front lower control arms (The ones that add -.75degrees of camber). My other chassis mods include Dinan Stage 1 (shocks and springs) and Wavetrac LSD.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #13
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

As an update to my install, unfortunaly the car had a couple of issues when I picked it up, so I only was able to drive the car for 20 minutes before I had to drop it back off at the shop. None of the issues were related to the installed parts.
Issues:
1) The first is that some plastic under the hood was damaged by the shop, they are fixing (and paying for the repair, of course)
2) Part of the alternator pulley cracked off. The belt stayed on, but I'm having them repair that, as well.
3) The reason we found both of the above issues is because I heard a strange rubbing/honking noise under the hood under high boost. It is probably a boost leak (although my boost stayed rock solid about 14.5psi-ish), and the shop said they'd torque all my hose clamps while they work on the alternator pulley.

Here's hoping it's all good when I pick it up! This will be almost 2 full weeks without my car and I miss her

Am I getting close to an emoticon record yet?

Any way, I'll write a review after I get the car back and get some wheel time
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 07:52 AM   #14
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
As an update to my install, unfortunaly the car had a couple of issues when I picked it up, so I only was able to drive the car for 20 minutes before I had to drop it back off at the shop. None of the issues were related to the installed parts.
Issues:
1) The first is that some plastic under the hood was damaged by the shop, they are fixing (and paying for the repair, of course)
2) Part of the alternator pulley cracked off. The belt stayed on, but I'm having them repair that, as well.
3) The reason we found both of the above issues is because I heard a strange rubbing/honking noise under the hood under high boost. It is probably a boost leak (although my boost stayed rock solid about 14.5psi-ish), and the shop said they'd torque all my hose clamps while they work on the alternator pulley.

Here's hoping it's all good when I pick it up! This will be almost 2 full weeks without my car and I miss her

Am I getting close to an emoticon record yet?

Any way, I'll write a review after I get the car back and get some wheel time
wow, 2 weeks would suck large....

I think you need to find a new shop, I am losing confidence in them just reading this. That is too bad, it could have been a ton worse too.

Really looking foward to the review on the LSD.

I am contemplating the control arms in the rear. I'll search the forum again and see what they say. It will be another grand.... this is getting really expensive now. I can always put those on after I guess and pay for another alignment.... anyway, this is your thread.

Your car will have "transformed" for sure.

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 03:34 PM   #15
Jeff335i
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Coupe

Hey jdemetry, I'm in MKE, too - what shop is doing this work for you?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 07:49 PM   #16
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Alright... I'm back (and finally so is my car). I have to first start out by correctin my post that the shop damaged my car. It turns out that the broken stuff was my fault. I had forgotton about a run in with a curb that I had thought did no damage. Turns out it pushed my intercooler up and proke the mounts that I mentioned. My car is totally fixed now and my insurance paid for the repairs minus my deductable.

My review will be in another post. I worked with Mraz in Brookfield WI and they were really fantastic after all was said and done. I would still recommend them to anyone looking for special work to be done.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #17
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Suspension:
No drop, far less dip and dive under hard braking/acceleration, virtually no understeer, slightly better steering feel. The ride is "slightly" harsher, but not much at all, and no bucking, even on horrible WI roads. I'll see how the ride is after I get my runflats back on
LSD:
Before I thought my car couldn't handle the power (a couple bolt ons and Procede V5) as it would get squirrely under hard accelleration and WAY too much intervention from the DSC/DTC. Now, the car accelerates hard, and in a straight line, and puts the power down much more smooth (even with the winter tires still on!). I'm going to have to start looking for more power soon Oversteer is much easier to induce now, which I LOVE and have always missed in this car. I have no noises or clunking at all.

I haven't really driven hard yet, but I'll post any updates if my impressions change. LSD FTW!!!!! Dinan Stage 1/M3 lower control arms really blow me away too, unbeliable balance between drivablilty and performance. I'll probably start to put more M3 bits as my suspension wears more, but I only have about 38k miles, so it is in pretty good shape overall.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 11:17 PM   #18
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Did you get any sway bars?
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #19
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I did not get sway bars, did your stage III come with the rear? Now it only comes with the front
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #20
abhishriv
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (Space grey)

Quote:
Suspension:
No drop, far less dip and dive under hard braking/acceleration, virtually no understeer, slightly better steering feel. The ride is "slightly" harsher, but not much at all, and no bucking, even on horrible WI roads. I'll see how the ride is after I get my runflats back on
LSD:
Before I thought my car couldn't handle the power (a couple bolt ons and Procede V5) as it would get squirrely under hard accelleration and WAY too much intervention from the DSC/DTC. Now, the car accelerates hard, and in a straight line, and puts the power down much more smooth (even with the winter tires still on!). I'm going to have to start looking for more power soon Oversteer is much easier to induce now, which I LOVE and have always missed in this car. I have no noises or clunking at all.

I haven't really driven hard yet, but I'll post any updates if my impressions change. LSD FTW!!!!! Dinan Stage 1/M3 lower control arms really blow me away too, unbeliable balance between drivablilty and performance. I'll probably start to put more M3 bits as my suspension wears more, but I only have about 38k miles, so it is in pretty good shape overall.
hows the LSD?! i gather you;ve have it for over a year now .. im on the fence about buying one now before winter or waiting till spring.. suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #21
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishriv View Post
hows the LSD?! i gather you;ve have it for over a year now .. im on the fence about buying one now before winter or waiting till spring.. suggestions?
The LSD is an absolute must, but expensive.

You can power out of corners MUCH earlier and that alone is worth it. you can drive with throttle on corner exits. The blowers kick in 3/4 through second and the power and rush is so great ! Do it. Everyone says it transforms the car, and it really does. You don't realize how much you need it until you get one.

When you do the rear end, you drop it, get the subframe, and sway at the same time. it adds a lot of cost, but all in all the right thing to do.

You could do just the LSD, but I think it is a bit short. I did them all at the same time, with the M3 arms, Rogue arms (which I am not sure about now) and then a final alignment - 4 wheel.

I still need larger rims and rubber on the front. I would like to go 255/265 setup but this is a ton of cash for rims and I am already in for too much.

The car still squishes around with all my mods too, and we have a few threads going on this too about the Rogue arms.

That said, the car is WAY WAY better than stock and goes like a rocket with limited wheel spin now. It handles the power.

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #22
abhishriv
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (Space grey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFish View Post
The LSD is an absolute must, but expensive.

You can power out of corners MUCH earlier and that alone is worth it. you can drive with throttle on corner exits. The blowers kick in 3/4 through second and the power and rush is so great ! Do it. Everyone says it transforms the car, and it really does. You don't realize how much you need it until you get one.

When you do the rear end, you drop it, get the subframe, and sway at the same time. it adds a lot of cost, but all in all the right thing to do.

You could do just the LSD, but I think it is a bit short. I did them all at the same time, with the M3 arms, Rogue arms (which I am not sure about now) and then a final alignment - 4 wheel.

I still need larger rims and rubber on the front. I would like to go 255/265 setup but this is a ton of cash for rims and I am already in for too much.

The car still squishes around with all my mods too, and we have a few threads going on this too about the Rogue arms.

That said, the car is WAY WAY better than stock and goes like a rocket with limited wheel spin now. It handles the power.
sweet! im convinced! i was jsut going to put my order in but stupid paypal has the send limit unless you give your banking info. cant do that till i get home this evening. lol i dont have a lot of patience when it comes to car mods!
Appreciate 0