E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > brief experience with V3 from a JB3 owner

02-06-2009, 01:06 AM   #1
bubbletea 4 me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Finally here

brief experience with V3 from a JB3 owner

i finally got a chance to test out the newest V3 (stage I)today on a friend's e92. I've JB3 1.22 (on map 6) the major difference, and that's why this is not a full review, is that his car is automatic and mine is manual. i've pre29.2; i think he has the newest software, 32 something..

my impression of the V3 is that it's def. VERY smooth. it's hard to believe but it actually feels smoother than JB3 through the power range and i think the reason is that it revs quicker, engine feels lighter, and power delivery is very linear and smooth. is it more powerful than my JB3 1.22? not really, just feels diff. V3 actually dont feel THAT fast down low unilke many claimed, it revs quick though but not the type of WOW low end torq i was expecting (if you had an AA Xede, you would know what i'm talking about).
w/ the xede, you feel like you are going to rip the tires off of the wheels on the low end it's so addicting..lol even though it dies off quickly on the top end, but that's another story.

JB3 (map 6) on the other hand, it's very smooth, but the change over from low end to higher rpm is more apparent -..you feel something kicks in (not a bad feeling though, i actually like it) and just pulls and pulls.. feels stronger up top than V3. because of that feeling, it would make the car feel as though it's not as smooth and responsive down low. i think it has more to do with throttle positioning, and again, proves my point that it's more or less a design philosophy differences between the two tuners.
the end result, most can agree, are quite similar (dyno #s, 1/4, etc.)

JB3 is more stock like down low then the power kicks in nicely. V3, it's just smooth from beginging to end, but u dont feel as much of a diff.. if that makes sense?

again - i dont think it's a truly fair comparison since it's two different types of transmission, i only had about 10-15 minutes of drive time, and wasnt really able to go all out w/ the V3 cuz alotta cops in the area where i was at.. but from what i felt is mostly inline with what i read.

will i trade in my JB3 for the V3 just to get a diff power delivery/throttle response feeling? probably not. is it worth the price to change? to me, no. do i think one tune is better than the other just on the few short minutes i've tested the V3? no. just diff.. that's all i can say.

kinda goes back to my point = the end results are very similar, both tunes just achives it in a bit of a diff way.

I'll try to test a manual v3 locally so i can compare it directly to my car. and may also try to get a automatic with JB3 and then drive it back to back with the automatic V3.. i think that wil be the best comparison. autos and manuals just feels diff from the get go.

to me, it's more of personal taste more than truely one tune better than the other. i actually like my car having that kick-in feeling, but some don't. some prefers the smooth power band from the get-go, but i actually like the monster torq feeling (from xede, cuz JB3 also dont have that).. i dont know, maybe i'm just weird..lol

please, no bashing and no tuner wars please - i just want to share my honest feeling/opinions on the two tunes tasted today.

i think the best way for somoene to choose the "right" tune for them is to try out both.

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 01:53 AM   #2
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Thanks for the review. I have never driven a car with Vishnu but from the posts that I've read the Vishnu tune's smooth power delivery is very attractive along with the tremendous torque. I have the Dinan stage II and it has a very smooth power delivery with good bottom end but I don't like how the Dinan power falls off so much up top.

Vishnu sounds like it delivers a great driving experience with loads of power; definitely much more than Dinan and equal to JuiceBox, that is very consistent throughout.

However, I personally would prefer a tune with more top end with a kick that pulls and pulls..and this is what I've heard over and over where the JuiceBox shines, especially looking at hotrod's "tune-only" 1/4 mi drag times, simply amazing stuff.

I look forward to trying out Vishnu one of these days to experience first-hand what it feels like. In the end I think most would agree that we want the tune that feels the fastest and drives the best, so only way is to try them all out and decide for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 07:51 AM   #3
bubbletea 4 me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i've never driven a Dinan car but i dont know how you can get much better than JB3 or Proceed..they are both great tunes no matter what the fan boys on each side like to argue..lol.

they are diff and you should def. try both to see what you like. of course "feel faster" don't mean it's really faster..

#s on dyno's and tracks don't lie. To be honest, i thought my old Xede felt faster just because the instantaneous torq that hits you and send you flying.. loved it.
JB3 and V3 both are VERY smooth in comparison and do not present such power rush down low. however, both have much broader power band and overall, more enjoyable to drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 07:55 AM   #4
RBBMWE46M3
blaupunkt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spman montego

Garage List
2008 x5  [0.00]
1972 R75/5  [0.00]
2008 335xi  [0.00]
great review...thanks
      02-06-2009, 08:03 AM   #5
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

good review man. Glad you liked both tunes honestly. I'm sure they are both pretty equal, but it would be more interesting if you could have compared it for a greater length of time in more similar cars.

My car is a MT, and honestly I would have no idea where to start in comparison w/ a tune if I was driving another owners auto car. Such a different driving experience just from the transmissions. I much prefer the MT by the way, I dont care if I can shave .2 seconds and add 1mph to my 1/4 mile times.....such a small part of the car to me.
      02-06-2009, 08:05 AM   #6
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
My car is a MT, and honestly I would have no idea where to start in comparison w/ a tune if I was driving another owners auto car. Such a different driving experience just from the transmissions. I much prefer the MT by the way, I dont care if I can shave .2 seconds and add 1mph to my 1/4 mile times.....such a small part of the car to me.
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Bubblecoffee.....did both cars you drove have a boost gauge? Curious to see what the different boost levels are. Map 6 on the JB3 is a race gas map right? Or at least a catless car map...I forget.
      02-06-2009, 08:24 AM   #8
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
Bubblecoffee.....did both cars you drove have a boost gauge? Curious to see what the different boost levels are. Map 6 on the JB3 is a race gas map right? Or at least a catless car map...I forget.
Map 6 is just a hot map which has a minimum recommendation of an intake and 93+ octane. The race map is Map7.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 08:25 AM   #9
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Map 6 is just a hot map which has a minimum recommendation of an intake and 93+ octane. The race map is Map7.

Mike
ok thanks, would still like to see what boost levels that map vs the V3 map were making.
      02-06-2009, 08:34 AM   #10
hotrod182
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

I think most people with 91 octane are running around quite a bit on map#6, although not recommended. I always use map 6 when running the 1.2 around town. Might have to change in the summer months? However in 82F temps the other day, it worked fine. But on my tests, some of the 1/4 mile results were very similar between the 2 maps. 4/6
2008 Monaco Blue JB3 2.0 335i Coupe. 11.33 @ 132.77 mph, 60-130mph: 6.95 seconds
2023 i4 M50 11.48 @ 121.56mph, 3.43 0-60 (dragy)
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 08:37 AM   #11
bubbletea 4 me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

we both have boost guages but i didnt really get a chance to "push" it to see the boost level but i know JB3 is around 14-15 on map 6; pretty much the same with V3 (according to my friend) so i dont worry about that.

i've DCI and 93 oct .. no dp. drive around in Map 6 most of the time no problem whatsover, but i do have rick's vent guage so i can change to diff maps on the fly.

like i said the area we were at wouldnt allow us to really go all out cuz alotta cops but i mainly wanted to test out the "feeling" of a V3 and the differences in low end - which i think started the whole conversation. once get up there, both are real fast and as far i know JB3 pulls like raped monkey..lol so that wasnt my intention of testing. low end power and smoothness was what i was looking for and i got a brief testing of it.

but like Sniz said, the best test would be to test out the same transmission and that's on my next to do list.

Sniz- if you havent driven a JB3 1.22 car, feel free to take mine out for a spin so you can also see how it feels diff from the ceed. maybe at the next meet
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 08:46 AM   #12
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbletea 4 me View Post
but like Sniz said, the best test would be to test out the same transmission and that's on my next to do list.

Sniz- if you havent driven a JB3 1.22 car, feel free to take mine out for a spin so you can also see how it feels diff from the ceed. maybe at the next meet
Might have to take you up on that, when and where is the next meet your going to?
      02-06-2009, 09:03 AM   #13
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Nice, honest, and informative review, bubbletea 4 me; glad you felt the diff's and are still enjoying your tuned 335i!

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #14
Okbye2
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i Atlantic Blue

Nice honest review....

Quote:
i finally got a chance to test out the newest V3 (stage I)today on a friend's e92. I've JB3 1.22 (on map 6) the major difference, and that's why this is not a full review, is that his car is automatic and mine is manual. i've pre29.2; i think he has the newest software, 32 something..

my impression of the V3 is that it's def. VERY smooth. it's hard to believe but it actually feels smoother than JB3 through the power range and i think the reason is that it revs quicker, engine feels lighter, and power delivery is very linear and smooth. is it more powerful than my JB3 1.22? not really, just feels diff. V3 actually dont feel THAT fast down low unilke many claimed, it revs quick though but not the type of WOW low end torq i was expecting (if you had an AA Xede, you would know what i'm talking about).
w/ the xede, you feel like you are going to rip the tires off of the wheels on the low end it's so addicting..lol even though it dies off quickly on the top end, but that's another story.

JB3 (map 6) on the other hand, it's very smooth, but the change over from low end to higher rpm is more apparent -..you feel something kicks in (not a bad feeling though, i actually like it) and just pulls and pulls.. feels stronger up top than V3. because of that feeling, it would make the car feel as though it's not as smooth and responsive down low. i think it has more to do with throttle positioning, and again, proves my point that it's more or less a design philosophy differences between the two tuners.
the end result, most can agree, are quite similar (dyno #s, 1/4, etc.)

JB3 is more stock like down low then the power kicks in nicely. V3, it's just smooth from beginging to end, but u dont feel as much of a diff.. if that makes sense?

again - i dont think it's a truly fair comparison since it's two different types of transmission, i only had about 10-15 minutes of drive time, and wasnt really able to go all out w/ the V3 cuz alotta cops in the area where i was at.. but from what i felt is mostly inline with what i read.

will i trade in my JB3 for the V3 just to get a diff power delivery/throttle response feeling? probably not. is it worth the price to change? to me, no. do i think one tune is better than the other just on the few short minutes i've tested the V3? no. just diff.. that's all i can say.

kinda goes back to my point = the end results are very similar, both tunes just achives it in a bit of a diff way.

I'll try to test a manual v3 locally so i can compare it directly to my car. and may also try to get a automatic with JB3 and then drive it back to back with the automatic V3.. i think that wil be the best comparison. autos and manuals just feels diff from the get go.

to me, it's more of personal taste more than truely one tune better than the other. i actually like my car having that kick-in feeling, but some don't. some prefers the smooth power band from the get-go, but i actually like the monster torq feeling (from xede, cuz JB3 also dont have that).. i dont know, maybe i'm just weird..lol

please, no bashing and no tuner wars please - i just want to share my honest feeling/opinions on the two tunes tasted today.

i think the best way for somoene to choose the "right" tune for them is to try out both.

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #15
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

this is not a good review because you need to test drive a car with the same transmission as you and also the same mods....can't really tell the difference because your car is manual!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 09:50 AM   #16
i2iSTUDIOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

there is a guy in my building with V3 with a manual, he offered me to give it a test drive, I think i'll do that soon.
2007 E92 335i / 6MT / Monaco Blue Metallic / Gray Dakota Leather / Comfort Assist / Premium / Sport / Heated Seats / Navi / Active Steering / Active Cruise Control / Park Distance Control / Rear Sunshade / Sirius MODS PicoTray / M3 Steering Wheel / Front OEM Aero Lip / Bimmian Aluminum Pedals / CDV / Ram Air Scoops / Painted Reflectors / HID 5000k / LED Angels / M Perf. Shifter / Euro Light Switch / 8500 x50 / Center Armrest Pouch / JB4 / BT
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #17
bubbletea 4 me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
this is not a good review because you need to test drive a car with the same transmission as you and also the same mods....can't really tell the difference because your car is manual!
don't need to get defensive on this bro. everyone who actually read my review knew i said it's not an exact apple to apple comparison and i knew it was diff transmissions so will feel diff. however, that was the only choice i had lastnight, don't need to give me shit for it. and like i said i'll try to either test both in auto or both in manual then i can give a more exact review but this is more of just sharing my experience driving both cars..

there is not all that much of a mod diff.. i've intake and bastuck exahust( only last section) and he doesnt, thats about it. intake doesnt really do that much until probably higher up in speed which wasnt the point of my testing. Bastuck exhaust just adds sound and probably not really any hp gain.. again, none of it really changes the charactor of the car - all it comes down to is the diff tunes and transmissions.

even with the diff transmissions, the feeling i got falls in-line with many other reviews. V3 i tested does feel smoother and revs a bit quicker down low (and i actually think that's because it's an auto, with manual it may not feel the same cuz with auto, there is nearly no boost drop during gear changes.. i'll confirm that when i test drove a manual V3 of course).. but JB3 has a diff type of feeling and power delievery which i like alot as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #18
f82phan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

nice review jackson

i guess you went to the carpool meet last night? who's car you drive, btw?
      02-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #19
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
don't need to get defensive on this bro. everyone who actually read my review knew i said it's not an exact apple to apple comparison and i knew it was diff transmissions so will feel diff. however, that was the only choice i had lastnight, don't need to give me shit for it. and like i said i'll try to either test both in auto or both in manual then i can give a more exact review but this is more of just sharing my experience driving both cars..

there is not all that much of a mod diff.. i've intake and bastuck exahust( only last section) and he doesnt, thats about it. intake doesnt really do that much until probably higher up in speed which wasnt the point of my testing. Bastuck exhaust just adds sound and probably not really any hp gain.. again, none of it really changes the charactor of the car - all it comes down to is the diff tunes and transmissions.

even with the diff transmissions, the feeling i got falls in-line with many other reviews. V3 i tested does feel smoother and revs a bit quicker down low (and i actually think that's because it's an auto, with manual it may not feel the same cuz with auto, there is nearly no boost drop during gear changes.. i'll confirm that when i test drove a manual V3 of course).. but JB3 has a diff type of feeling and power delievery which i like alot as well.
chill out...i really don't care what you like and not being a fan...Just saying that it would be better to test out a tune with the same transmission....I mean you have a MT which you can rev the rpms before shift...going to a auto is completely different driving sytles and shifting points....can't get a true feeling of the car when its so different from yours...I could care less about Procede or JB3, just making a point about testing variables should be the same!!! I am also looking to actually see what JB3 feels like but almost everyone that has it on has MT!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 10:23 AM   #20
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
chill out...i really don't care what you like and not being a fan...Just saying that it would be better to test out a tune with the same transmission....I mean you have a MT which you can rev the rpms before shift...going to a auto is completely different driving sytles and shifting points....can't get a true feeling of the car when its so different from yours...I could care less about Procede or JB3, just making a point about testing variables should be the same!!! I am also looking to actually see what JB3 feels like but almost everyone that has it on has MT!!!
thats b/c RCH3P

Great review man, although tough to compare MT to AT I'm sure you can still get a good feel for the tune. Shame I didnt get your PM before I got home, I am literally 5 min from Carpool...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #21
bubbletea 4 me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
lol, dude.. i aint arguing, so maybe u should chill out. like i said, i aint no fan boy of either and dont care what others think. i wanted to test it out myself and just here to share an experience. and yes, i do know its diff trans and i made that point already. me aint stupid man but having tried it is better than NOT having tried it at all and just shooting shit on a forum thinking i know something aint gonna help right.

btw, i wasnt "reving" b4 i shift in a manual.. i drove both on a roll to feel the diff.. low gear, higher gear, low rpm, higher rpm, throttle response etc..
i wasnt testing out 0-60 or anything like that..

find a JB3 owner with auto, try it out yourself and then you can give your impression on it that way.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #22
bubbletea 4 me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90phan View Post
nice review jackson

i guess you went to the carpool meet last night? who's car you drive, btw?
i'll hit you up on PM oh and u shoulda came out.. weeman did

i also test drove an 06 M5, interesting car but the SMG trans is some of the worst trans i've ever used.. no wonder people complain, but thats another story
Appreciate 0