E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Rough Idle, stumbling rpms

05-18-2017, 01:20 PM   #353
r4dr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: various BMWs

Keep in mind: a "rough idle" could be caused by many different things, and that is something to realize when you read through this thread and see how many different ways people fixed this generic issue.

Some of it is trial and error, but doing more detective work like logging the car might help pinpoint the issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 11:54 PM   #354
Johnny335i
Johnny
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Hi all,
I've been having misfire issue with misfire in cylinder 1, 3 and random, so i changed all my plugs, coils, fuel injectors to index 12, intake vanos solenoid and had walnut blasting done 3000km ago. Since then I haven't got any misfire codes yet but i still feel a few misfire when I start the car after it has been sitting for a long period of time. Car will start normal, idle to normal and then I hear a misfire and revs up a bit from normal idle level but no misfire codes are thrown. Same as what everyone is experiencing in this thread.

Has anyone found the solution?

Please help,

Car - 2008 BMW 335i sedan with no modifications and has 134,000KM
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 11:46 AM   #355
335e92tx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Was 07-335e92 - Now '13 335IS

got anyway to log data?

Apr 14 2017 - '13 335IS replaced the '07 E92
13IS mods BQ Tuned/MHD flashed - MFactory LSD - ATM IC - next KoniFSDs and M*arms.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 06:34 PM   #356
jwebb335xi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny335i View Post
Hi all,
I've been having misfire issue with misfire in cylinder 1, 3 and random, so i changed all my plugs, coils, fuel injectors to index 12, intake vanos solenoid and had walnut blasting done 3000km ago. Since then I haven't got any misfire codes yet but i still feel a few misfire when I start the car after it has been sitting for a long period of time. Car will start normal, idle to normal and then I hear a misfire and revs up a bit from normal idle level but no misfire codes are thrown. Same as what everyone is experiencing in this thread.

Has anyone found the solution?

Please help,

Car - 2008 BMW 335i sedan with no modifications and has 134,000KM
Without misfire codes, are you certain that's the issue? Perhaps your getting erratic fuel delivery related to 02 sensors?

Logging your car at idle MAY give you some clues...

93 Octane| MHD | Alpina | FMIC | Stock Side Inlets | Catted DPs | CP and DVs|
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 03:21 PM   #357
dbensman1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Auto AWD

Problem solved -- Bum Bosch plugs

Well, first tons of thanks to AWD Addict for starting this thread. I spent 4 days and 18 clumps of hair sorting through all 17 pages +.

So, yeah, after exactly the same situation many of you described in detail, I figured mine out.

Flipping through the Bavarian Auto catalog is what got me into this whole mess in the first place. My just 47k 2010 335xi had absolutely no tuning or performance problems. The only mod on it is a K&N cold air intake. But seeing their ‘high performance’ ignition coils on sale, and having done them before on an e39, I pulled the trigger on coils and spark plus, just for giggles. It’s been a shit show since.

First, I checked all connections and re-tightened everything. Checked for any cracked hoses and vacuum leaks. Using an old (stock) ignition coil, I pulled each new ignition coil, in sequence, to check if I had any duds in the new batch. I removed and cleaned both the MAF and TMAP. What finally worked?

I re-installed the old sparkplugs. That was it. I cleaned them and simply swapped the OEM plugs back. Everything back to smooth, steady, silky idle.

The Bosch plugs I purchased were from Amazon. Guess I should have read the negative reviews more closely. I ensure you they were the correct spec. Maybe there are widespread fakes out there, or a huge batch of defective plugs that came off the line? I don’t know. Of course, it’s possible that the ignition system on these cars is so touchy, that new plugs simply jar the thing out of whack. Possible. What I DO know, however, is that I’m going to sell this car before the plugs die. Ugh.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 04:38 PM   #358
335e92tx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Was 07-335e92 - Now '13 335IS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbensman1 View Post
Well, first tons of thanks to AWD Addict for starting this thread. I spent 4 days and 18 clumps of hair sorting through all 17 pages +.

So, yeah, after exactly the same situation many of you described in detail, I figured mine out.

Flipping through the Bavarian Auto catalog is what got me into this whole mess in the first place. My just 47k 2010 335xi had absolutely no tuning or performance problems. The only mod on it is a K&N cold air intake. But seeing their ‘high performance’ ignition coils on sale, and having done them before on an e39, I pulled the trigger on coils and spark plus, just for giggles. It’s been a shit show since.

First, I checked all connections and re-tightened everything. Checked for any cracked hoses and vacuum leaks. Using an old (stock) ignition coil, I pulled each new ignition coil, in sequence, to check if I had any duds in the new batch. I removed and cleaned both the MAF and TMAP. What finally worked?

I re-installed the old sparkplugs. That was it. I cleaned them and simply swapped the OEM plugs back. Everything back to smooth, steady, silky idle.

The Bosch plugs I purchased were from Amazon. Guess I should have read the negative reviews more closely. I ensure you they were the correct spec. Maybe there are widespread fakes out there, or a huge batch of defective plugs that came off the line? I don’t know. Of course, it’s possible that the ignition system on these cars is so touchy, that new plugs simply jar the thing out of whack. Possible. What I DO know, however, is that I’m going to sell this car before the plugs die. Ugh.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Well, dan ;-), sorry you had bad luck. There are blue ring and green ring bosch plugs. it looks like the one realoem shows for mine is a green. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...&q=12120037244

I got a set of blue rings in a bag and was gonna swap them out in the next few K. Iv bought at least 3 previous sets off of ebay (blues i think) with no prob. shrug..

Apr 14 2017 - '13 335IS replaced the '07 E92
13IS mods BQ Tuned/MHD flashed - MFactory LSD - ATM IC - next KoniFSDs and M*arms.
Appreciate 0