E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Chemical Guys Products

06-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
MoTastic_2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Man

Chemical Guys Products

I think I finally figured out what I want to buy from CG for my car.

I have a BSM X6 and a Red G37, both have a quite a bit of swirl marks on them that I need to take out.

I bought some Griots Garage stuff last year, it was ok but nothing spectacular. Check out the screenshot below and tell me what you think?

I have a Griots Garage 6" buffer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

No no no no no no! Avoid Lava wax like the plague. It is absolute shit (pardon my language, but its the only way to describe it). Get Menzerna Powerlock for a sealant instead of Jetseal. Jetseal mutes metallic flake and is known to have a less than desirable look. Instead of V34 and V36, get some real polishes from Menzerna. They are much much better. Dodge the black paint maintenance kit too. Your already getting a bottle of blacklight with the radiant finish kit and Black Wax is horrible too. Its the consistency super slippery putty which will just make a mess. 6.5 inch pads are too big for a griots buffer. 5.5 inch pads are the max that should be used for maximum effectiveness. The whole hex-logic pad is a gimmick too. Just pick up some 5.5 inch Lake Country pads for $3-4 less a piece. Those microfibers are crap too. Go to Costco and get a 36 pack of the yellow microfibers and use them for interior and glass only. Order 24 of these for the paint:
http://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-...emical+guys+12

Just trying to save you money and get better products for less. The only thing worth keeping on there is Hyrbid V07 and Blacklight. Every Chemical Guys product is filled with super hype and only about 5 of their products actually deserve it. If you can stretch $30 for a wax get Zymol Glasur. I will be making a review of it next week.
      06-07-2013, 11:06 PM   #3
MoTastic_2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otruba_843 View Post
No no no no no no! Avoid Lava wax like the plague. It is absolute shit (pardon my language, but its the only way to describe it). Get Menzerna Powerlock for a sealant instead of Jetseal. Jetseal mutes metallic flake and is known to have a less than desirable look. Instead of V34 and V36, get some real polishes from Menzerna. They are much much better. Dodge the black paint maintenance kit too. Your already getting a bottle of blacklight with the radiant finish kit and Black Wax is horrible too. Its the consistency super slippery putty which will just make a mess. 6.5 inch pads are too big for a griots buffer. 5.5 inch pads are the max that should be used for maximum effectiveness. The whole hex-logic pad is a gimmick too. Just pick up some 5.5 inch Lake Country pads for $3-4 less a piece. Those microfibers are crap too. Go to Costco and get a 36 pack of the yellow microfibers and use them for interior and glass only. Order 24 of these for the paint:

Just trying to save you money and get better products for less. The only thing worth keeping on there is Hyrbid V07 and Blacklight. Every Chemical Guys product is filled with super hype and only about 5 of their products actually deserve it. If you can stretch $30 for a wax get Zymol Glasur. I will be making a review of it next week.
Well I am glad someone can give me an honest opinion on this stuff because last time I got screwed on the griots polish and wax's.

Anyway you can PM me a list of stuff that I should buy and from where. Remember it is a 08 g37 red and a black sapphire metallic x6
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 11:33 PM   #4
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:

+1 Listen to Otruba_843. He is not steering you wrong. JetSeal is actually Okay but at that price.....there are better choices. The best MF for paint that I came across is CarPro BOA. It is awesome.

http://www.carpro-us.com/boa-super-s...premium-waxes/
      06-08-2013, 12:20 AM   #5
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:

haha what a post. I'm going to you for my detailing questions.
      06-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
MoTastic_2
Private First Class
Rep

Guess that boa and Costco towels will suffice.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI

Sonax it Polymer net shield with some colly 915 or something...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
06E90Rostik
2006 join date crew
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 335i  [10.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
I really like Chem Guy's car washes and carpet cleaners. The value is hard to beat, (them being in gallon sizes and how well they work). But there are better products out there for other things.

+1 on everything Otruba_843 said
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #9
MoTastic_2
Private First Class
Rep

well I took Otruba's advice and def ordered other stuff, came out a little over the top than the CG stuff but now i feel confident that the car will look spotless onces done
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoTastic_2 View Post
well I took Otruba's advice and def ordered other stuff, came out a little over the top than the CG stuff but now i feel confident that the car will look spotless onces done
Glad I could help! I also took advantage of the Fathers Day sale from Autogeek. My Zymol Glasur came in yesterday It smells amazing.
      06-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
MoTastic_2
Private First Class
Rep

i know i was reading your other thread about the wax, makes me wish I bought some too now

i ordered the MF from amazon right now and some griots garage speed shine, that stuff smells amazing and is great. Use it on almost anything!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #12
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90, 2011 E90

Autogeek and Autopia prices aren't that great. They have sales 20% sales all the time but most of their prices are higher than the small online detailing shops like Auto detailing Solutions, Autoality, and Car-Pro US

I used to wait for Autogeek 20% + free shipping sales and I've probably spent nearly $1000 with them. The smaller guys may not have the board selections that Autogeek has but their prices and customer service is second to none.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #13
MoTastic_2
Private First Class
Rep

AutoGeek was good but there service is horrible on certain things. i will not get into specifics but wont be ordering from them again. I just nearly spent $600 with them too
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #14
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep

I spent around $800 with them and I'm probably not going to order from the again since I found other retailers that offer better prices and exceptional customer service. Even with Autogeeks 20% sale it still doesn't beat some of the smaller retailers. The only thing going for them is the BOGO and the broad range of products they have. Also their forums are pretty active so it's real helpful getting advice there. Only thing is if you make a negative post about Autogeek you will get warned and the thread will get deleted from what I've read.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #15
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

Talking

I love chemical guys products all of them never understand the hate, if you know how to detail a car any decent product would do the job only thing I can agree with in the jet seal mutes out Metallic paint flakes, menzrna products are awesome as they have been around a long time of course there one of the top dogs out there
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2013, 11:21 PM   #16
paulguma
Bavarian Murder Weapon
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6MT

Garage List
1999 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
You recommend getting a polish from Menzerna. Is there a good mild polish if I'm going to purchase just one or do you recommend a combo? You also said m105/205 isn't that good for beginners. Is there something similar but works better?

Last edited by paulguma; 07-25-2013 at 11:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #17
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulguma View Post
You recommend getting a polish from Menzerna. Is there a good mild polish if I'm going to purchase just one or do you recommend a combo? You also said m105/205 isn't that good for beginners. Is there something similar but works better?
Menzerna is better IMO and a LOT easier to work with.
      07-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #18
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep

Autopia has a sale thats ending today

Quote:
Friday, July 26th at midnight EST take 15% off your ENTIRE order at Autopia-CarCare.com - NO EXCLUSIONS! Plus, if the order exceeds $75 you'll also receive FREE SHIPPING. Use coupon code SAVE15 to take advantage of this special offer.
Great deal if you're looking for a polisher.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 07:16 PM   #19
Root2k4
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:

Which 5 Chem Guys products deserve the hype? Wash n Gloss, V07, V.R.P dressing, ???
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 06:07 PM   #20
tmdals0213
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-Sport

Quote:
No no no no no no! Get Menzerna Powerlock for a sealant instead of Jetseal. Jetseal mutes metallic flake and is known to have a less than desirable look.
I wish i saw this before i bought some more jetseal lol...

youre killin me Otruba!!!
      12-17-2014, 03:00 PM   #21
tmdals0213
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-Sport

anyone like using CG black light?

any insight on this will be appreciated
      12-30-2014, 03:22 AM   #22
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

CG jetseal is poor for durability and bonding. You would be better off looking at Colinite 845 instead as the last stage product.
Appreciate 0