E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Retrofitting a Professional HU with USB and Bluetooth

12-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #133
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91

Guys,

The cable is faulty. I tried with another one from my dealer and it fully works!

I didn't know for the 2 cables. I have the 61120440796, not the 61120440812 and this could by the root cause. But, I think the dealer let me try the 61120440796 and it works. Also, both parts are made for 6FL, not COMBOX.

I will buy a new one and try again.

Cheers!

Edit: There is a guy on the french forum that use the same cable than me without any issue.
http://www.bmw-one.com/phpbb3/viewto...387471#p387471

Last edited by woodpecka; 12-24-2012 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #134
4EST
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 320d LCI

you could check the wiring, after all, it;s just a cable with no active components
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #135
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EST View Post
you could check the wiring, after all, it;s just a cable with no active components
That's wildly inaccurate. It's got passive components to tell the dock connector what's plugged in (an AUX out) as well as active components to interface the USB it pluggs into to UART for the iPod Accessory Protocol (a USB<>UART interface, specifically I think a PL2303). There's lots to go wrong.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #136
4EST
Private
Rep

ok, sorry
I thought the mighty ipod has a usb port in all those pins, as all the other phones/devices out there, but I guess I'm wrong, maybe Apple thought "who uses USB anyway" :P
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #137
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

I decided to go with a genuine cable...this should solve my issue. Anyway, as I'm living in a frozen country and the cable can be affected, OEM quality could help on the long term.

Nice info Alex btw!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #138
mxchris727
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 M5, '06 325i, '12 M3

I installed a 2010 head unit in my 2007 and coded it with NCS Expert to my hifi amplifier. Everything works great, but I can hear feedback through the speakers at all times. I can hear the stereo spin up a cd or even the car's water pump change speeds. It is almost as if the LCI head unit is not grounding properly.. Has anyone else experienced this?

(Sorry to thread jack)
      12-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #139
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
ok, sorry
I thought the mighty ipod has a usb port in all those pins, as all the other phones/devices out there, but I guess I'm wrong, maybe Apple thought "who uses USB anyway" :P
Of course the connector has USB. The problem is that, once upon a time, though the protocol for control and streaming over USB existed, that channel was subject to DRM - DRM'd tracks couldn't be played over it since in theory you could make an exact unprotected digital copy that way. BMW (and all the other manufacturers, for that matter) didn't want to implement a single-usb-cable solution that would leave users unable to play an arbitrary subset of their music, so they came up with the Y cable solution - audio outputs as analog signal over the aux out in the dock connector and to the 3.5mm plug, while control and communication is handled over the serial connection that's existed before the dawn of iPod time.

Unfortunately, it's pretty buggy and inconvenient, and MORE unfortunately, it was the ONLY solution until record labels finally gave up the DRM ghost for good as of April 7 2009 (at least, that's when everything in iTunes became available without DRM.

Luckily, newer cars come with native USB streaming (although not ALL cars, I know the Hyundai Veloster has always had it [2012 was the first year], while the GTI even as of 2012 DOESN'T), but UNLUCKILY there's no MULF software update or anything of the sort to enable it on older cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #140
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore
Quote:
ok, sorry
Of course the connector has USB. The problem is that, once upon a time, though the protocol for control and streaming over USB existed, that channel was subject to DRM - DRM'd tracks couldn't be played over it since in theory you could make an exact unprotected digital copy that way. BMW (and all the other manufacturers, for that matter) didn't want to implement a single-usb-cable solution that would leave users unable to play an arbitrary subset of their music, so they came up with the Y cable solution - audio outputs as analog signal over the aux out in the dock connector and to the 3.5mm plug, while control and communication is handled over the serial connection that's existed before the dawn of iPod time.

Unfortunately, it's pretty buggy and inconvenient, and MORE unfortunately, it was the ONLY solution until record labels finally gave up the DRM ghost for good as of April 7 2009 (at least, that's when everything in iTunes became available without DRM.

Luckily, newer cars come with native USB streaming (although not ALL cars, I know the Hyundai Veloster has always had it [2012 was the first year], while the GTI even as of 2012 DOESN'T), but UNLUCKILY there's no MULF software update or anything of the sort to enable it on older cars.
This explain why they make it so complicated!

Anybody knows if the fake cables on ebay are just a source of problem? I tried one from an excellent seller and it never worked.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 04:42 AM   #141
plotino
Rep
Drives: e91 2011

Minor issues...

Hi all,

thanks to Jose's post and comments from all the people here, I finally managed to retrofit my 05/2011 e91 with a professional radio (05/2011) with bluetooth and USB.

I have everything actually working (bluetooth, voice commands, USB, aux), without any coding (though I already have the cable and programs).
However, I have some minor things that I would be interested to discuss/fix. I hope some of you may help

1. radio volume: well, at least at startup, the radio volume seems to be way too low with the new radio. I have to turn the volume knob quite a lot in order to reach a good volume level. Has it happened also to someone else? any idea on how to fix it?
2. voice commands works for english: is there a way to change it to another language (italian in my case)?
3. I have a very weird low volume gong after switching from the business to the professional radio. The sound is completely different than the two gong sounds in Jose's video in the first/second post. I kind of like it, as it is not annoying like the old one, though the volume is rather low. Any one experienced a different gong sound? Any idea on how to raise the volume?

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 06:20 AM   #142
4EST
Private
Rep

your HU probably came from a car with hifi, and I guess you don't have that option. That's why the volume is low

You can code the new HU without hifi and this will bring up the volume (maybe too much)
if your VO is italian, then resetting the HU should change the language.

If you read the topic, I posted a lot of info about this
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #143
plotino
Rep

Tried but getting error....

I've added $6NN, $6FL, $663 to my VO (BTW, are 6NN and 6FL case sensitive or not?), on CAS edu (should I had it also to FRM and NFRM?). My car has already a #0311 production date. I don't have HiFi. As far as I remember, the radio is from 05/11, bought from carsequipment.

After adding the above, I've check the available module, and now I have 2RAD instead of the previous 1RAD, though I was expecting a 2URAD.
I've tried to read the 2RAD module, but I got an error (same as 4EST above, although if I understand correctly 4EST got the error by doing an SG-Codieren job):
COAPI-2020: no answer from ECU
IFH-0009: no response from controllunit

Should I proceed anyway with a SG-Reset job on the 2RAD (right after I get the error by reading the ECU), or should I do a SG-Codieren first?

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #144
Jose_JN
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: e93 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by plotino View Post
I've added $6NN, $6FL, $663 to my VO (BTW, are 6NN and 6FL case sensitive or not?), on CAS edu (should I had it also to FRM and NFRM?). My car has already a #0311 production date. I don't have HiFi. As far as I remember, the radio is from 05/11, bought from carsequipment.

After adding the above, I've check the available module, and now I have 2RAD instead of the previous 1RAD, though I was expecting a 2URAD.
I've tried to read the 2RAD module, but I got an error (same as 4EST above, although if I understand correctly 4EST got the error by doing an SG-Codieren job):
COAPI-2020: no answer from ECU
IFH-0009: no response from controllunit

Should I proceed anyway with a SG-Reset job on the 2RAD (right after I get the error by reading the ECU), or should I do a SG-Codieren first?

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks!
Hi Plotino,

You have to trick your Production Date. The ECU to work with is NOT 2RAD. It is 2URAD (I dont remember the exact name)

Try deleting #0705 and insert #0511. New ECU will appear

Don't worry about case sensitive, VO codes are not case sensitive.

Then reset the ecu.

If you want newest dongs, you need to change a value at the Kombi ECU. It is HU_VERBAUT and you need to put radiostuffe_3_4

It has been discussed at the thread.

Kind regards and happy new year!
      01-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #145
4EST
Private
Rep

2URAD is US version. Europe version is 2RAD.
NFRM = NewFRM, so it's the same ECU. I belive you have NFRM
Do a SG-Codieren and then SG-Reset. Fingers crossed
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 06:18 AM   #146
alexrayment
Registered
Rep
Drives: E82 123d

Hi all,

I have a 01/2008 E82 123D (in UK) and currently have the business radio.

I would like to add the Pro HU with Bluetooth and possibly USB. My local BMW dealer say that it is not possible to do this due to the wiring in my car. I think it is as long as I purchase the correct HU for my car - could somebody confirm this please?

I haven't owned the car long and don't even own a cable to do the coding although I've searched around on your forums and there seems to be plenty of great guidance on how to do it.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #147
plotino
Rep

Hi all,

I've added $6NN, $6FL, $663 to my VO, already had #0311.
Selected 2RAD, and performed a sg_codieren (with empty .MAN file), and then sg_reset.

sg_codieren returned the usual error, but sg_reset completed w/o error.
I've noticed some changes:
1. lost voice commands completely....
Any idea on how to get them back? Am I missing something in my VO? Or what?
2. I have a vent icon in the radio menu, never seen this...
3. USB and BT seems to work as before, though I haven't tested calling someone yet.

Here is my complete VO:

E91_#0311&EBAT%0300*UY51$1CA$1CB$1CC$1CD$230$240$2 49$2K9$2PA$320$321$441$4CG$520$534$548$663$698$6FL $6NN$845$855$884$8S3$8TL$8TM-A090

Any idea on how to get back the voice commands? One of the reason to code the car was actually to get voice commands in italian...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #148
4EST
Private
Rep

so the sg_reset worked. But it disabled voice commands? And now when you press voice button nothing happens?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #149
plotino
Rep

Hi 4EST, all

actually, I don't know what happened but I went back to the car a couple of hours later... just tried the voice command again... and this time it was working... I'm pretty sure I've tested it several time after the sg_reset, and it was not working at that time, but now it seems to work, and it is also in italian.

So it seems that if something is not working right after a coding, it may be worth to wait a couple of hours to check if it is really NOT working (actually, I haven't tested the phone with a phone call, but the BT sync seems to work flawlessly).

BTW, I haven't experienced a big change in the volume, honestly, but I'm quite happy of the current situation, so I guess I will not mess up further with the car (unless tomorrow, something that today is working, will not work.... you never know with this coding stuff)

thanks all for the support!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #150
zobeon
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11

Hi, anyone know if the Fiscon 37663 mic will work with the professional HU? It is identical to the oem one and mounts perfectly in the light box, but it comes with a minijack... I am thinking maybe it will work just cutting the jack off and attach the wire to the oem socket?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #151
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

It's possible, but I don't know enough about it to say for sure. The OEM mic has a bunch of active circuitry in it, and I haven't scoped the lines or anything, but it's almost certainly parasite powered. The Fiscon mike may be as well, but if it's not or is differently arranged, it could be damaged.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 01:54 AM   #152
zobeon
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep

Ok, thanks. I‘ve sent an e-mail to Fiscon.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 03:13 AM   #153
zobeon
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep

Last night I swapped my old Pro HU (CD73) with a new one that has BT and USB. My car is built 02/2008 and new HU late 2009 or early 2010 I think. Everything seemed to be working as it should (I have not bought and installed the parts needed for bluetooth and USB yet, but they both show up on the display and I can connect my phone and all features seems to be there).

Problem is, when I powered it up this morning it won‘t work... The display shows all features, I can connect my phone, change computer settings and such, but there is NO sound coming from the speakers. One thing I noticed is that the radio features stopped working (change channel, search and so on). And when I power down the unit and putting it back on the AUX shows even though the last thing used was the FM radio.

The weird thing is, this also happened last night when I turned it on for the first time. But after removing the main socket on the back and put it back in it all worked perfectly and I got sound from both radio, aux and PDC. I just figured I had not plugged it in correctly the first time.

I have not done any coding yet. Will that help, or is my new HU broken...?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 07:42 AM   #154
4EST
Private
Rep

try to reset it. if it doesn't fix it, either bad connector or broken
Appreciate 0