E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Alpine Upgrade - I want your reviews!

View Poll Results: Is the Alpine kit worthwhile ?
Yes - it's completely brilliant and your ears will love you 27 54.00%
Maybe - It's noticeably better than standard audio 21 42.00%
Hmmmn - It's a little bit better than standard 0 0%
No - the benefits are marginal 2 4.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

09-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #23
Baby Dave
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 320d m sport

Had mine done in Jan for £600 at my local dealer, it's worth it as it sounds a lot better than the standard set up.
      09-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #24
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Hi snerkler....I've been reading your posts on M3Cutters with interest (I'm currently a lurker over there - I might make the effort to introduce myself at some point but this place keeps me busy enough!).

Anyway, I see that you've currently got Individual Audio which is absolutely fantastic - I had it on my first M3 a couple of years ago and whilst the latest HK L7 in my latest M3 is much better than HK L7 was back then (BMW seem to have improved the HK system hugely in the last year or so), it's still not quite as crisp and clear as Individual.

However, what I don't think Individual has a huge amount of is bass....yes, it's good quality bass but it's not there in abundance and I reckon the latest HK L7 is bassier than Individual.

Now, I've also had the Alpine upgrade fitted to the 135i that my missus had last year and I've got to say, I was extremely impressed. I know it was in a different car but I can't see any reason why the components, engineering or installation would be any better in the 135i compared to a 3er.

I genuinely don't think there's a great deal of difference between the Alpine and the L7 other than it doesn't physically go as loud (and nowhere near as loud as Individual as that really can generate some serious volume without distortion) and in terms of quantity of bass, I don't think you'll be left wanting even comparing it to what you have now.

I'm sorry to say though.....you will miss the clarity and sheer power of Individual (I still do and I sold that first M3 over 2 years ago!) but, in comparison, I don't think you'll miss it because of a lack of bass! It is a worthwhile upgrade and if the car you're buying to replace the M3 with (Alpine D3...yes?) has the basic audio system, it's almost that necessary that you need to have it fitted before you pick the car up to avoid utter disappointment!

Hope that helps

Last edited by Palmnuts; 09-19-2011 at 07:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 01:57 AM   #25
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

It's £900 now?! Jeez.

But yeah, I still love mine. It does depend a bit on the type of music you listen to though... the base can vary from propper sub stylee, to super tight thumping to a bit wooly.

But overall, very good. In fact, I hear bits of songs in the car that I've never heard before, the mid and high ranges are that clear. The sound stage is also great, having the tweeters on the doors gives a great stereo effect.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 03:03 AM   #26
snerkler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 x30d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
Hi snerkler....I've been reading your posts on M3Cutters with interest (I'm currently a lurker over there - I might make the effort to introduce myself at some point but this place keeps me busy enough!).

Anyway, I see that you've currently got Individual Audio which is absolutely fantastic - I had it on my first M3 a couple of years ago and whilst the latest HK L7 in my latest M3 is much better than HK L7 was back then (BMW seem to have improved the HK system hugely in the last year or so), it's still not quite as crisp and clear as Individual.

However, what I don't think Individual has a huge amount of is bass....yes, it's good quality bass but it's not there in abundance and I reckon the latest HK L7 is bassier than Individual.

Now, I've also had the Alpine upgrade fitted to the 135i that my missus had last year and I've got to say, I was extremely impressed. I know it was in a different car but I can't see any reason why the components, engineering or installation would be any better in the 135i compared to a 3er.

I genuinely don't think there's a great deal of difference between the Alpine and the L7 other than it doesn't physically go as loud (and nowhere near as loud as Individual as that really can generate some serious volume without distortion) and in terms of quantity of bass, I don't think you'll be left wanting even comparing it to what you have now.

I'm sorry to say though.....you will miss the clarity and sheer power of Individual (I still do and I sold that first M3 over 2 years ago!) but, in comparison, I don't think you'll miss it because of a lack of bass! It is a worthwhile upgrade and if the car you're buying to replace the M3 with (Alpine D3...yes?) has the basic audio system, it's almost that necessary that you need to have it fitted before you pick the car up to avoid utter disappointment!

Hope that helps
Thanks for that, really helpful review. I'm aware that it's not going to be as good as the individual stereo, but I'm not one of those who has the music really loud though.

You should introduce yourself on the cutters site, good bunch on there
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 03:04 AM   #27
snerkler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diseasel View Post
Its nearly £900 now with labour... not sure if its worth it.
I've been offered it much cheaper than this tbh
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 03:47 AM   #28
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I just paid £300 for mine and it took me just over an hour to fit it myself, it really is plug and play.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 04:46 AM   #29
chedixon
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 YMB Coupe

We need a 'how to' with pics gizze
      09-20-2011, 04:56 AM   #30
_Si_
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 M Sport 2.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
I just paid £300 for mine and it took me just over an hour to fit it myself, it really is plug and play.
I installed mine and I've never worked on a car before and it took me about 4 hours total but I was being extra cautious. I think the newer models do need to be coded though.

Definitely go for it. I just had a demo with the standard system and its shocking how bad it is.
      09-20-2011, 05:49 AM   #31
AdrianSi
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d LCi MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedixon View Post
We need a 'how to' with pics gizze
I've just got the full kit with door trims (e90) for £300, and will be doing my installation in the very near future. I"ll take photos of each step to compile a 'how to' guide Mine is an early LCi so unsure as to what I will be presented with in terms of wiring... Pre or post 03/00.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 05:53 AM   #32
_Si_
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 M Sport 2.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianSi View Post
I've just got the full kit with door trims (e90) for £300, and will be doing my installation in the very near future. I"ll take photos of each step to compile a 'how to' guide Mine is an early LCi so unsure as to what I will be presented with in terms of wiring... Pre or post 03/00.
Mines an early LCI, March 2009 I think.
Its worth noting I had no splice points. I ended up cutting the wires next to the subs. It was pretty easy, you just have to lift the front seats out.

Good Luck!
      09-20-2011, 07:24 AM   #33
snerkler
Private First Class
Rep

Can I ask where you guys got the system from for £300 please?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 07:48 AM   #34
mv57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Croydon safensound. £300ish for the kit. £100ish for install.

E9X Picture game / 5 MPH / double bhp / The Beatles zebra crossing / Gordon Ramsays restaurant / Michelin star /
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 07:50 AM   #35
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Coopers Norwich charged me £310 I think it was.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #36
DarkBM
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D E90

Does anyone know anyone in Birmingham that can fit for cheap please?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #37
snerkler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes i need this this too.

I cant afford to pay £900 for something people are getting for £300
£300 is for the unit only, the £900 is fully fitted. However, I've been quoted much cheaper fully fitted, and a price of £350 for the system only (including cables, mouldings etc), not sure where they're getting it from for £300.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 03:47 PM   #38
chedixon
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 YMB Coupe

Wonder if there's a place we could get a few of them fitted together?
Seems there's 3 of us now not too far apart, my kit should arrive tomorrow and I don't know if I'm up to fitting myself
      09-21-2011, 03:50 PM   #39
AdrianSi
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d LCi MSport

Red face

Quote:
Yes i need this this too.

I cant afford to pay £900 for something people are getting for £300
Just as a note, the £300 that myself and others are quoting is just for the hardware and DIY fitment and not fitted at a dealer.

Once i have installed my Alpine kit i may well be able to offer a fitting service to anybody interested. I just want to have a go at actually stripping the E90. The actual installation of the hardware is not something that i have any concerns with.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 07:50 PM   #40
Anthill mob
Rep
Drives: E90 320d M Sport

Nobody's mentioned whether the Blaupunkt amp upgrade is a better sounding option. I've seen posts by Gizze on tyresmoke ( or some such site) saying it's the best he's heard.
Comments?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 05:51 AM   #41
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthill mob View Post
Nobody's mentioned whether the Blaupunkt amp upgrade is a better sounding option. I've seen posts by Gizze on tyresmoke ( or some such site) saying it's the best he's heard.
Comments?
I don't think it's the best I've heard!!

I think the blaupunkt sounds slightly more controlled than the Alpine and you also have more control as you can adjust the subs separately and the crossover points.

Plus it allows you to upgrade the subs as well, not something you can do with the Alpine.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 06:02 AM   #42
Anthill mob
Rep
Drives: E90 320d M Sport

Sorry, perhaps I should have said in comparison to the Alpine upgrade. Do I take it that you believe the Blaupunkt amp is superior in sound as well as connectivity?

Doh! Just read it again and you say it's more controlled. Being more controlled would indicate higher quality components being used. D class amps are a bit new to me though as I'm used to AB. Do D Class used caps?
I would imagine it would be a slightly fuller sound also.

Last edited by Anthill mob; 09-25-2011 at 06:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 06:02 AM   #43
snerkler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
I don't think it's the best I've heard!!

I think the blaupunkt sounds slightly more controlled than the Alpine and you also have more control as you can adjust the subs separately and the crossover points.

Plus it allows you to upgrade the subs as well, not something you can do with the Alpine.
Why can't you upgrade the subs?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 06:10 AM   #44
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthill mob View Post
Sorry, perhaps I should have said in comparison to the Alpine upgrade. Do I take it that you believe the Blaupunkt amp is superior in sound as well as connectivity?
It is much fuller sounding, and has a smoother, more hifi sound to it.

But I think that is probably because you can adjust the sub levels more than anything.
Appreciate 0