E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > downpipe install help!!!

07-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #1
Andrewe92
enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 lci 335xi

Garage List
downpipe install help!!!

hey guys ran into a bit of a problem when a shop went to install a downpipe for me a few days ago.. I will reserve the name of the shop as well as which downpipe, just to be fair to both sides. at any rate the shop wrote this on the work order

"Unable to install aftermarket down pipe as mating flange was not machined properly and was unable to mate to turbocharger housing. Inner ring diameter is 0.05" too large when compared to stock downpipe."

does it sound like the downpipe itself hasn't been produced correctly or does it sound like the shop lacked the skill to get the downpipe on.? does it sound like they couldn't get the v-clamp on? any feedback with some reasoning would be greatly appreciated because the shop actually had me pay the price for the install even though i walked away with my stock dp in.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg

Garage List
Ooh. That is F'd up! I hope you have been in contact with the dp maker and also hope you were given a heads up while they had the car apart for install so you'd have an opportunity to get a new set to install!

I would be HOT if I went to pick up my car and they simply put it back together and charged me full price without ever letting me know of an issue with the pipe and an opportunity to grab a new one before putting my car back together!!!!!!

Last edited by stashtrey; 07-05-2014 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
Knobi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M3

Garage List
^^^ THIS
1. If the shop indeed put it back together without giving you a chance to get the right part 1st. You better raise hell and demand free labor once you get your new DP.

2. You should get feedback from other techs regarding your DP, maybe the shop is not really performance oriented? Not all shops have experience with BMW aftermarket parts. Also, i haven't heard of downpipes being defective from factory, you might wanna share the brand so others don't have the same issue?

Hope everything works out for you brother
      07-05-2014, 02:23 PM   #4
Andrewe92
enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stashtrey View Post
Ooh. That is F'd up! I hope you have been in contact with the dp maker and also hope you were given a heads up while they had the car apart for install so you'd have an opportunity to get a new set to install!

I would be HOT if I went to pick up my car and they simply put it back together and charged me full price without ever letting me know of an issue with the pipe and an opportunity to grab a new one before putting my car back together!!!!!!
to be fair I waited for the car, and the tech and shop owner came to me and showed and explained how the ring was bigger than the stock ring.. although i believe that how it is supposed to be. we also didn't have much of a choice so i gave the go ahead to put the stock one back on.. although i was not expecting to be charged full price at all.. I ended up losing a lot more than the shop had.. time, money, gas, effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knobi View Post
^^^ THIS
1. If the shop indeed put it back together without giving you a chance to get the right part 1st. You better raise hell and demand free labor once you get your new DP.

2. You should get feedback from other techs regarding your DP, maybe the shop is not really performance oriented? Not all shops have experience with BMW aftermarket parts. Also, i haven't heard of downpipes being defective from factory, you might wanna share the brand so others don't have the same issue?

Hope everything works out for you brother
thanks brotha! Im sure it will its not a serious issue but the dp maker is blaming the shop and the shop is blaming the maker.. both pointing fingers and im in the middle basically. also the shop has done downpipes for bmws in the past and i don't have much reason to believe they are not capable i Just think the tech didn't realize that the clamp could fit. at any rate if the shop or dp maker doesn't do the right thing with me I have no problem simply sharing my experience with anyone else planning to use this downpipe or shop .. im a pretty patient guy so i have confidence it'll work out .. lol jeez its just a downpipe didnt know it would be so much trouble
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewe92 View Post
to be fair I waited for the car, and the tech and shop owner came to me and showed and explained how the ring was bigger than the stock ring.. although i believe that how it is supposed to be. we also didn't have much of a choice so i gave the go ahead to put the stock one back on.. although i was not expecting to be charged full price at all.. I ended up losing a lot more than the shop had.. time, money, gas, effort.

thanks brotha! Im sure it will its not a serious issue but the dp maker is blaming the shop and the shop is blaming the maker.. both pointing fingers and im in the middle basically. also the shop has done downpipes for bmws in the past and i don't have much reason to believe they are not capable i Just think the tech didn't realize that the clamp could fit. at any rate if the shop or dp maker doesn't do the right thing with me I have no problem simply sharing my experience with anyone else planning to use this downpipe or shop .. im a pretty patient guy so i have confidence it'll work out .. lol jeez its just a downpipe didnt know it would be so much trouble
Good attitude and approach. Give them the opportunity to make it right...if they don't choose to do so...let everyone know what d-bags they are!

Hope you get it resolved quickly with no more money out of pocket.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 03:30 PM   #6
Jsoboti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E92 M-Sport 6MT

I had a similar problem where the flange on the aftermarket DP didn't fit perfectly into the v clamp. We just muscled it closed and got a pair of pliers on it and cranked on the bolt and it eventually all came together despite being a major PITA. If you're having trouble getting the first few threads of the bolt in on the v clamp try getting a longer bolt and using that to get it closed.

Also, that shop FU$?ED you hard. Get at least some of your money back.
JB4 G5 ISO FF | BMS Performance Intake | BMS Wheel Spacers | VRSF Catless DP | Red CYBA Scoops | Supreme Power Lowering Perches | VRSF Charge Pipe | VMR 810 19x8.5 ET35 19x9.5 ET33 | Michelin PSS 235/265 | BMS CDV | BMS Clutch Stop | 4'' Tips
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
.mark
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 335i M Sport

I'm going to go ahead and assume the manufacturer of the DP was the same that I installed. It honestly had to be clocked perfectly in order for the clamp to work for me. It was a complete PITA, but after lots of time (~45 minutes) trying to get it clocked appropriately, I got it. Not sure if my frustration just "manned" it on, but I did get it.

I guess where I'm going with this, if the shop only gave it a few tires and said screw it, that doesn't surprise me.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2014, 07:28 PM   #8
Andrewe92
enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stashtrey View Post
Good attitude and approach. Give them the opportunity to make it right...if they don't choose to do so...let everyone know what d-bags they are!

Hope you get it resolved quickly with no more money out of pocket.

Good luck!
thanks man i appreciate the support just trying to be as fair as possible thats all!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsoboti View Post
I had a similar problem where the flange on the aftermarket DP didn't fit perfectly into the v clamp. We just muscled it closed and got a pair of pliers on it and cranked on the bolt and it eventually all came together despite being a major PITA. If you're having trouble getting the first few threads of the bolt in on the v clamp try getting a longer bolt and using that to get it closed.

Also, that shop FU$?ED you hard. Get at least some of your money back.
yeah i think the whole picture is coming together for me that the shop didn't try the right techniques , i think they just wanted it to match up and alignment up perfectly lol and ehh I am hoping to get some money back. I am contacting the shop monday to at least see what options they give if any.. thanks for feedback man

Quote:
Originally Posted by .mark View Post
I'm going to go ahead and assume the manufacturer of the DP was the same that I installed. It honestly had to be clocked perfectly in order for the clamp to work for me. It was a complete PITA, but after lots of time (~45 minutes) trying to get it clocked appropriately, I got it. Not sure if my frustration just "manned" it on, but I did get it.

I guess where I'm going with this, if the shop only gave it a few tires and said screw it, that doesn't surprise me.
you're probably on point with the manufacturer it's a popular option just don't wanna blast them at this point in time, but well see what i end up doing because if i cant convince the org. shop to try again using more patience and some of the techniques I've been reading about than ill have to find another shop brave enough lol already a few popular euro shops turned me down on the phone solely based on the manufacturer.. i guess it's known to have fitment issues.. but once I think about it.. all dps are probably p.i.t.a to install.. I shall update you guys
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 09:24 PM   #9
marCOCOpuffs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan

Daniel from dr euro installed my downpipe in 40 minutes in my garage with no lift. My DP was BMS...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 09:25 PM   #10
Andrewe92
enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marCOCOpuffs View Post
Daniel from dr euro installed my downpipe in 40 minutes in my garage with no lift. My DP was BMS...
n55? im at the east coast shop support is a little weak compared to west coast lol especially euro
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 09:26 PM   #11
Knobi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M3

Garage List
Believe or not popular doesn't always mean good. I have a clear idea of who the manufacturer is, being more "affordable" and all, understand sometimes you have to pay the extra $$$ to ensure quality and fitment is flawless in our $40-$50K cars.
      07-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #12
Andrewe92
enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knobi View Post
Believe or not popular doesn't always mean good. I have a clear idea of who the manufacturer is, being more "affordable" and all, understand sometimes you have to pay the extra $$$ to ensure quality and fitment is flawless in our $40-$50K cars.
oh yeah def agree I was just saying it's a popular dp just to give a hint which one it is lol but you are right!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 10:04 PM   #13
Jsoboti
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knobi
Yeah we all know who we're talking
about right???

I've had mine on for about a month and no issues so far (besides the install). The savings is worth it if it continues to function properly despite the long install
JB4 G5 ISO FF | BMS Performance Intake | BMS Wheel Spacers | VRSF Catless DP | Red CYBA Scoops | Supreme Power Lowering Perches | VRSF Charge Pipe | VMR 810 19x8.5 ET35 19x9.5 ET33 | Michelin PSS 235/265 | BMS CDV | BMS Clutch Stop | 4'' Tips
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 11:25 PM   #14
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
What brand of DP? If others have had the same DP installed without any issues, then it points to the shop. If its some off-brand, ebay special, then it may point more to the DP.
      07-06-2014, 12:18 AM   #15
GR1P
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135is

Lol at you cryptic a$$holes. J/k

vrsf
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 08:21 AM   #16
Jsoboti
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaimpally
What brand of DP? If others have had the same DP installed without any issues, then it points to the shop. If its some off-brand, ebay special, then it may point more to the DP.
PM sent
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #17
Everfly
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Everyone try to save money with VRSF and sometime could be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 09:06 AM   #18
ryanakata
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 335i AT

I had the VRSF as well and thought the same. Once the clamp is stretched onto the new dp it will install easily from then on. The new flange is a bit thicker. I had to use a pair of pliers to pull the two tabs in. Make sure they are leaving the exhaust unbolted from the dp. Once the clamp closes and you can get the bolt in by hand and tighten it a bit you can loosely fasten the exhaust.

When I installed mine I was certain the vrsf was junk, after I got mine installed I was certain that I was an impatient moron.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 09:08 AM   #19
Andrewe92
enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanakata
I had the VRSF as well and thought the same. Once the clamp is stretched onto the new dp it will install easily from then on. The new flange is a bit thicker. I had to use a pair of pliers to pull the two tabs in. Make sure they are leaving the exhaust unbolted from the dp. Once the clamp closes and you can get the bolt in by hand and tighten it a bit you can loosely fasten the exhaust.

When I installed mine I was certain the vrsf was junk, after I got mine installed I was certain than I was an impatient moron.
Yeah guys I don't want this to turn into a bashing thread lol but am I missing something I only got one small Baggie and the dp was I supposed to get a clamp in the box?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 09:15 AM   #20
Jsoboti
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah guys I don't want this to turn into a bashing thread lol but am I missing something I only got one small Baggie and the dp was I supposed to get a clamp in the box?
Nope, you use the OEM clamp, the one that is holding the existing DP to the turbo. The only hardware you should receive is DP, 2 gaskets, 4 bolts, washers and nuts.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 09:16 AM   #21
Andrewe92
enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsoboti
Quote:
Nope, you use the OEM clamp, the one that is holding the existing DP to the turbo. The only hardware you should receive is DP, 2 gaskets, 4 bolts, washers and nuts.
Yea sounds right , hah what the hell am I supposed to do find a patient shop? Haha I'll make some phone calls Monday and see if anyone in the area can handle the job
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #22
Jsoboti
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yea sounds right , hah what the hell am I supposed to do find a patient shop? Haha I'll make some phone calls Monday and see if anyone in the area can handle the job
DIY!!!! Took me all day trying to figure out how to muscle the v clamp on but i finally got it. Its pretty straight forward, don't forget your 90 degree 02 sensor spacer mini cat for the lower/rear 02 sensor
Appreciate 0