E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Smoked Front Side Reflector DIY

12-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
LeMansBMW335i
Based on a true story
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Smoked Front Side Reflector DIY

I dislike my amber side reflectors so I decided to do something about it. The painted ones are nice, but I really don't like trying to make something disappear when it's obviously still there. I preferred the idea of making it not stand out so much though. I had some old window tint laying around, and I figured why not. If I didn't like it, it takes all of 10 seconds to remove. I just did this so I don't know how the durability will be. It's so easy though that if it falls off in a month I wouldn't be upset. I like the look though because you can still tell it's a reflector, but it's not as much of an eye sore.

Tools Needed:
1. Window Tint
2. Razor Blade
3. Painters Tape

Time Needed:
10 minutes

Steps:
1. Clean the reflector.
2. Tape off the area around the reflector. This is to add a minor layer of protection to your paint for the later step when you have to cut around the reflector.
3. Cut the tint slightly larger than needed.
4. Apply the tint. Not sure how different tints work, but what I had just required that you peel back a layer to expose a surface that has high static. I found it best to not use any liquid on the reflector. Just put it on starting in the middle and press out to the sides. Get all the air bubbles out. It's easy to do because this surface is so small.
5. Take the razor blade and trim around the whole edge. The blade will naturally drop down between the reflector and bumper. Take your time here because you don't want to scratch your paint. The corners are a bit tricky, but not impossible by any means.
6. Remove the excess tint and the painters tape.
7. Admire your work. If it sucks, take the 5 minutes to redo it. If you don't like it, take the 10 seconds to peel the tint off. The last 2 pictures are the finished product. The very last picture is with the flash turned off.

I'm sure if you like the look but didn't want to do this yourself, any tint shop could take care of this. They probably have a lot better tint then the stuff I had laying around too!
Attached Images

2009 335i M-Sport: BMW Performance SSK/pedals/ spoiler/suspension/rear diffuser, 650i clutch, 35% tint, JB4, AFE DCI, Meth Injection, Ceramic coated VRSF Downpipes, ER Chargepipe, DTEC Angle Eyes, LED Interior and Reverse Lighting, Shift Light & Low Meth Light inside Rear View Mirror Clown Nose
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
eloo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe (Stock)

Cool. Looks pretty sweet. Do you have any more/better photos of the after?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #3
LeMansBMW335i
Based on a true story
United_States
Rep

Thanks. I'll take some more. Probably tomorrow afternoon is the next chance I'll get.
2009 335i M-Sport: BMW Performance SSK/pedals/ spoiler/suspension/rear diffuser, 650i clutch, 35% tint, JB4, AFE DCI, Meth Injection, Ceramic coated VRSF Downpipes, ER Chargepipe, DTEC Angle Eyes, LED Interior and Reverse Lighting, Shift Light & Low Meth Light inside Rear View Mirror Clown Nose
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
LeMansBMW335i
Based on a true story
United_States
Rep

Sorry it took so long. Here are a few daytime shots.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0