E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Touring the USA for 6 months. Is a car purchase possible?

06-29-2008, 07:10 AM   #1
Cemesis
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Touring the USA for 6 months. Is a car purchase possible?

Hi

I'm from the UK and need some assistance. I'll be touring the USA beginning in January on a big road trip for 6 months before moving down into South America and then the rest of the world.

I've been to the US several times before and it would seem that if you want to get around, a car is pretty much the best way of doing it. So rental seemed the obvious solution but it works out to be quite alot for 6 months and I certainly wouldn't end up in anything like a BMW.

I'm looking at how viable it would be to purchase a BMW in the US? Either brand new or used. The prices of them are roughly 55% of the price of the same model in the UK so to me, everything seems a steal. However if I was able to purchase one, come the end of 6 months I'm left with two options

1. Export it to the UK
2. Sell it in the USA.

Option 1 may be frought with taxation issues at the UK end but if it worked out could even turn a profit. Option 2 seems much easier.

But I'd like to know if its possible for a non-US citizen to buy a car in the US? I'm not talking finance or anything like that, just an outright purchase. I believe I need US insurance to buy, which means I also need a US driving licence (which I won't have). Seems if I take a test and pass then I can buy insurance and then buy a car, but I wanted to make sure this was correct?

Anyone able to help?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 10:14 AM   #2
karizma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i cpe, 6spd, mont/sadl

what you're saying is entirely possible.

if you buy a bmw, lets say an 06 330i or something, you put 10-15-20k on the car over 6 months ( given that you'll be roadtripping) . if you buy the car you will be able to sell it 6 months later. if not to a private seller, then certainly to a place like carmax. you will definitely take a hit on the car for a few thousand, but it will still be cheaper than renting a car for sure. if i was you i wouldnt buy something too too expensive , but a cheaper car, like an 02 325i or something, so that when u re-sell it the hit isn't as big as most of it's depreciation is already over.

for example, last summer i bought an 02' honda accord with 90k miles for 4995, as a daily driver for the city. i sold it this June within a week of putting it up for sale for 5100. car never had any problems, i didnt invest a dime in it other than oil changes, and i put roughly 16k on it.

good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
Dubbedoutbimmer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335XI Coupe Loaded w/body kit

you have a international license? if so you are good to go I sell cars to exchange students all the time let me know if you need help
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 06:52 PM   #4
Cemesis
Registered
Rep

Excellent, this all sounds very promising.

I pretty much had my heart set on an E92 coupe. I didn't really care about the engine, as long as it was an Auto, had Nav and preferably in Red. Seems BMW only use two engines in the US on the new 3 series, the 3 litre and the 3 litre twin turbo.

I'd be happy with a standard one but how would I go about purchasing one? How do your exchange students deal with insurance Dubbedoutbimmer?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 10:13 PM   #5
E92*2*JK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: RIP Space Grey E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma View Post
what you're saying is entirely possible.

if you buy a bmw, lets say an 06 330i or something, you put 10-15-20k on the car over 6 months ( given that you'll be roadtripping) . if you buy the car you will be able to sell it 6 months later. if not to a private seller, then certainly to a place like carmax. you will definitely take a hit on the car for a few thousand, but it will still be cheaper than renting a car for sure. if i was you i wouldnt buy something too too expensive , but a cheaper car, like an 02 325i or something, so that when u re-sell it the hit isn't as big as most of it's depreciation is already over.

for example, last summer i bought an 02' honda accord with 90k miles for 4995, as a daily driver for the city. i sold it this June within a week of putting it up for sale for 5100. car never had any problems, i didnt invest a dime in it other than oil changes, and i put roughly 16k on it.
yeah great idea buy a 2002 325i and drive around the country hoping it doesn't break down..or hope that you don't get stuck in west bumble fuct south dakota or something with billy bob trying to fix your water pump with bubble gum and duct tape cuz the fed ex guy doesn't deliver to that town.

good luck!
yeah great idea buy a 2002 325i and drive around the country hoping it doesn't break down..or hope that you don't get stuck in west bumble fuct south dakota or something with billy bob trying to fix your water pump with bubble gum and duct tape cuz the fed ex guy doesn't deliver to that town.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 10:16 PM   #6
E92*2*JK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: RIP Space Grey E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemesis View Post
Excellent, this all sounds very promising.

I pretty much had my heart set on an E92 coupe. I didn't really care about the engine, as long as it was an Auto, had Nav and preferably in Red. Seems BMW only use two engines in the US on the new 3 series, the 3 litre and the 3 litre twin turbo.

I'd be happy with a standard one but how would I go about purchasing one? How do your exchange students deal with insurance Dubbedoutbimmer?

I think your best bet would be to try and beat up a dealer on a 2008 demo. drive it around for 6 months put on 10 or 15k miles sell it at a slight loss cuz it's still an 08 that your selling in 08.

you prolly won't lose more then 5 grand (taking any taxes out of the equation if any)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
Cemesis
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92*2*JK View Post
I think your best bet would be to try and beat up a dealer on a 2008 demo. drive it around for 6 months put on 10 or 15k miles sell it at a slight loss cuz it's still an 08 that your selling in 08.

you prolly won't lose more then 5 grand (taking any taxes out of the equation if any)
I like that idea but I'll be arriving in 2009. Still, if I got an 08 it would still only be a year old when I needed to move it on near the end of the trip.

I wonder if I could get car insurance in the Uk which would cover me in the US?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 05:12 PM   #8
karizma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i cpe, 6spd, mont/sadl

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92*2*JK View Post
i have an 01 325 with 112k miles, haven't had any problems with it.. i dont think your rude attitude contributed anything to this thread, i was simply offering the OP some options in terms of saving cash. why be such an A-hole about it?

also, to the OP,

good luck with the red e92. if you're arriving in 09' it's probably best to try and pick up an 09' model year as it holds it's value more, and i believe the nav system will change on the e92's.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 10:08 AM   #9
Dubbedoutbimmer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335XI Coupe Loaded w/body kit

im soo sorry for the delay you can infact buy insurance in the us with a valid lic from another country!! pm for more info
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 10:27 AM   #10
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Cemesis, 2006 E90 325i's with 25-35k miles, are hovering in the $25k-$30k range (Vauxhall Astra money). You might even score a certified pre-owned one with proper search. At least you will have the security of either the remainder of the factory 4yr, 5ok warranty) or the extended CPO (6yr 100k) warranty (keep in mind that a CPO unit will fetch more during resale at the end of your trip).

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #11
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 | E30 | E28 | E24

To the OP, I have temporarily relocated to the US from Ireland for work reasons, and am on my second purchased car here. I did get a US license, but this is not required by some insurance companies. However, if you have a US license it will lower your premiums. To get a license isn't really a big deal, much easier than the driving test in Ireland, which I believe is pretty similar to the UK. I would think that you'd need to have a residence in the US for a license, insurance, registering the car etc.
Appreciate 0