E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Wastegate Ticking Resolved Without Getting 29.2! Works With 29.2 As Well!

11-14-2008, 01:29 PM   #111
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tschuss View Post
Mr. 5, now that you've done a few of these, do you have any advice as to how many turns are required? Are you turning, then testing for rattle and then maybe turning some more? Or do 2 turns generally do it?

-B
I would say that 2-3 rotations usually does it for a car that is ticking pretty loud. No matter what, I make sure there is still a lot of room for the wastegate to open.

It of course depends on how bad the ticking is.
For me, it's a one time shot, since once the engine is started, you have to wait a while for it to cool down again.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 12:20 PM   #112
Kerosene Hat
Regional Governor
Rep
Drives: '10 E92 335i

Probably a silly question, but since my 4mm wrench is on the way, I thought I'd ask for sure.

Mr5 - on the procedure, do you retighten the 10mm nut after tightening the rod, or just leave it be?

I didn't see this specifically mentioned in the process description & just want to check.

Oh, yeah - and a biiiig thanks on helping those of us w/ pre-29.2 performance AND the John Deere sounding motor that we get to go along with it!
      11-17-2008, 12:25 PM   #113
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerosene Hat View Post
Probably a silly question, but since my 4mm wrench is on the way, I thought I'd ask for sure.

Mr5 - on the procedure, do you retighten the 10mm nut after tightening the rod, or just leave it be?

I didn't see this specifically mentioned in the process description & just want to check.

Oh, yeah - and a biiiig thanks on helping those of us w/ pre-29.2 performance AND the John Deere sounding motor that we get to go along with it!
YES, you do.
      11-17-2008, 12:29 PM   #114
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
If you don't tighten the 10mm nut then the rod can easily loosen back to where it was before you tightened it.

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 12:32 PM   #115
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Now I am confused. I took my car in with the wastegate rattle last spring -- early April -- and I was pretty certain that they PROGMANed me. Ticking was gone for a while, but returned, and is clearly noticeable now when I rev and let off. I assumed that I got PROGMAN 29.x -- I noticed a slight power loss, pretty much across the board, but no special lag at low rpm. But from Mr.5's description, it sounds like I still have a pre-29 version. I clearly have the open wastegate farty exhaust sound, and the rattle on deceleration.

Now I am thinking that what I might have lost was my initial hot tune, but got 28.x ??? Regardless, I am waiting to have my actuators replaced when 32.x is released next month.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 12:40 PM   #116
Kerosene Hat
Regional Governor
Rep
Drives: '10 E92 335i

Cool, thanks - just confirming - it's what I would've done, but...would rather measure twice & tighten the actuator rod once than vice versa.
      11-17-2008, 12:43 PM   #117
BlueLion
she likes the flavor......
United_States
Rep
Drives: A51-E92

Garage List
2022 X3MC  [0.00]
my front wastegate is rattling

E92 Montego Blue silfa718 ..::STETT CAI|ADVAN RS|WAGNER FMIC|MS DP|VANGUARD|PROCEDE|FORGE DV|BMS OCC|KWV2|MICHELIN PSS|OOS::..

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 12:43 PM   #118
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLion View Post
my front wastegate is rattling
Should probably take it in to the dealer, since its a pain to access the front wastegate, possible but, just take it in when the time is right.
      11-17-2008, 01:08 PM   #119
BlueLion
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko335i View Post
Should probably take it in to the dealer, since its a pain to access the front wastegate, possible but, just take it in when the time is right.
yeah but I don't want the updated program

E92 Montego Blue silfa718 ..::STETT CAI|ADVAN RS|WAGNER FMIC|MS DP|VANGUARD|PROCEDE|FORGE DV|BMS OCC|KWV2|MICHELIN PSS|OOS::..

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 01:51 PM   #120
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

Quote:
yeah but I don't want the updated program

See if you can get a loaner procede, it now has a rattle fix which might help you.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 03:16 PM   #121
BlueLion
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i View Post
See if you can get a loaner procede, it now has a rattle fix which might help you.

i was thinking about that....but i think the procede only controls/changes the duty cycle of the rear wastegate

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 06:37 AM   #122
maui86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

yes, i have the stupid wastegate rattle noise too! but its only at idle upon cold starts for the first min or so then goes away and when im doing light throttle acceleration for the first 10mins or so. if the car is warmed up and i turn it off then back on it wont rattle, but i hear very faint rattles upon rev decel in neutral. its not the injectors, i know what those sound like. these are metallic ticks. now that i have catless dp's its embarrassing loud haha. i will try this fix to see if it works. im praying its not the front one.

teri

gotta do what i gotta do to get them donuts
04 spec-v: rip dec07
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 07:52 AM   #123
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

Quote:
i was thinking about that....but i think the procede only controls/changes the duty cycle of the rear wastegate
From what I was told the procede can control how tightly the wastegate closes. Might want to ask Shiv to confirm.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 10:36 PM   #124
maui86
Captain
United_States
Rep

just tried this trick and its either not the rear and the front wastegate or i have an exhaust leak, though i doubt it since it sounds more like metal rattles. i tried 2turns on the rod(wrench on top turning towards fender) and sound did not go away. i even had my brother start the car and i closed the wastegate myself with my hand and the rattle still was there. again, i only have the ticking during the first min or so of cold starts.
maybe i have an exhaust leak? figured couldn't be since it goes away after a min or so. its loud enough to have a hard time telling where exactly its coming from. i'll do the golf tee mod to see if the extra back pressure during cold starts is pushing the exhaust gases out of an opening and if it gets quieter i know i have a leak somewhere since by the time the flap is open the noise is gone.

teri

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 10:40 PM   #125
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui86 View Post
just tried this trick and its either not the rear and the front wastegate or i have an exhaust leak, though i doubt it since it sounds more like metal rattles. i tried 2turns on the rod(wrench on top turning towards fender) and sound did not go away. i even had my brother start the car and i closed the wastegate myself with my hand and the rattle still was there. again, i only have the ticking during the first min or so of cold starts.
maybe i have an exhaust leak? figured couldn't be since it goes away after a min or so. its loud enough to have a hard time telling where exactly its coming from. i'll do the golf tee mod to see if the extra back pressure during cold starts is pushing the exhaust gases out of an opening and if it gets quieter i know i have a leak somewhere since by the time the flap is open the noise is gone.

teri
If the noise goes away after a few minutes, that not a typical wastegate noise because from what I have seen it rattles after deceleration of rpms when its revved...You just might have normal ticking noise that almost everyone here has which are the lifters...I have a ticking for alittle bit when the car is cold, but like your after a couple of minutes, its not apparent anymore!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 10:52 PM   #126
maui86
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
If the noise goes away after a few minutes, that not a typical wastegate noise because from what I have seen it rattles after deceleration of rpms when its revved...You just might have normal ticking noise that almost everyone here has which are the lifters...I have a ticking for alittle bit when the car is cold, but like your after a couple of minutes, its not apparent anymore!
yeah, its not the wastegates and golf tee didn't do anything. figured i give that a try just to rule it out haha. after the catless dp's the noise was magnified some, and rattles very quickly...if i can find a friend with a videocamera i will try put a video to see if its something everyone has. i doubt the phone corder will record the sound very well...if it does i'll be more than glad to text it to someone.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 10:49 PM   #127
GAaaAR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Are you sure if the noise goes away it's not the wastegate? I just got my 2009 335i last week with only 200 miles so far and I'm also noticing a ticking noise during cold starts while idling. The noise seems to be near the front driver's side of the car. I can hear it well when I have my head next to the Driver's side front tire. Once my car warms up, I parked my car and tried to listen near the Driver's side front tire again and the ticking noise is gone.

I hope this is not wastegate rattling! As mentioned before i only have 200 miles on my car.

This guy also had rattling noises during cold starts and it turns out he had the wastegate issue!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...light=rattling
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 02:44 AM   #128
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAaaAR View Post
Are you sure if the noise goes away it's not the wastegate? I just got my 2009 335i last week with only 200 miles so far and I'm also noticing a ticking noise during cold starts while idling. The noise seems to be near the front driver's side of the car. I can hear it well when I have my head next to the Driver's side front tire. Once my car warms up, I parked my car and tried to listen near the Driver's side front tire again and the ticking noise is gone.

I hope this is not wastegate rattling! As mentioned before i only have 200 miles on my car.

This guy also had rattling noises during cold starts and it turns out he had the wastegate issue!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...light=rattling
This ticking noise will be the piezo-electrics in the fuel injection. Mine so loud it sounds like a diesel. But it is "normal". At least it sounds like that's what you're hearing. It can also be the cam-lifters not being full of oil, when this happend the ticking last for about 20 secs from a totally cold start.
      11-22-2008, 09:15 AM   #129
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui86 View Post

teri
I'll bet it's the front wastegate.
There was a guy that came to my house to get the adjustment done but I noticed that it was the front wastegate.
What is happending to you is typical for the newer program.
The newer program has the issue with the front wastegate ticking at idle and then at light acceleration.

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 11:36 AM   #130
GAaaAR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
I'll bet it's the front wastegate.
There was a guy that came to my house to get the adjustment done but I noticed that it was the front wastegate.
What is happending to you is typical for the newer program.
The newer program has the issue with the front wastegate ticking at idle and then at light acceleration.

You think that might be my issue as well? Is there anything i can do that will prove indefinitely on whether its the wastegate or its something normal?

I'm not a very handy person so I prefer not going under the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 01:49 PM   #131
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAaaAR View Post
You think that might be my issue as well? Is there anything i can do that will prove indefinitely on whether its the wastegate or its something normal?

I'm not a very handy person so I prefer not going under the car.
If it's the front wastegate then you can't do anything.
If you look at the picture in the first post then you will see that getting to the front actuator is impossible unless you take off the turbo.

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 02:34 PM   #132
maui86
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
If it's the front wastegate then you can't do anything.
If you look at the picture in the first post then you will see that getting to the front actuator is impossible unless you take off the turbo.
that is gay. and im not sure what program i have. i have an 05/07 build. i took it to the dealership twice, once for a few limp modes upon cold start, SA told me it was just a glitch and they cleared everything and that was it, he didn't say they updated the computer. other time was for brakes but they didn't hook up the computer.
i figured i have pre 29.x. if i dont then i pretty much screwed myself for warranty since i dont run the doomsday maps.
i guess i can live with it since it only rattles for the first minute or less. then its completely gone.

Appreciate 0