E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > DCT Diaries::_ink's build_::

03-15-2016, 04:30 PM   #89
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink View Post
That's the thing, I didn't give it any notice whatsoever when RB came out with the statement. A few months later (even after heckling RB) VTT came out with the same statement, backed with tests that he had performed with his own turbos.

On top of what these 2 people are saying, there have also been other real world test (not conducted by biased oil producers) with the same results on bearing and metal wear, with and without zddp contents.

Whilst the OEM recommended oils are fine for stock operating conditions and elements, a lot of our cars are decently modified, and producing up to double the power levels from factory.

I've never been a believer of 'just because the OEM or other large companies' are doing certain things, that it's necessarily the best thing for longevity. They have to factor in soo many other things like cost, profits, environment, laws, etc.. Balancing these things leads to an outcome that isn't necessarily the best for the consumers or the longevity of our engine/components, rather, just enough to get it past the warranty period and satisfy environmental standards, and global laws, with a lot left on the table.
I don't believe the properties of zinc phospate will save your turbos, but at the end of the day that's just my opinion I don't have any facts or evidence to state they wont but considering RB & VTT both had issues I wouldn't believe their claims much the same you dont believe the big oil co's claims.

Those manufacturers I referenced all produce cars which make more power than our N54's tuned, and even the mass produced AMG A45 is in a high state of tune from the factory with reasonably high boost.

From what I know ZDDP is needed by the old vintage cars (flat tappet valvetrains) much like these cars cannot run on ethanol as the fuel system, carbies cannot tolerate it.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 06:48 PM   #90
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
I don't believe the properties of zinc phospate will save your turbos, but at the end of the day that's just my opinion I don't have any facts or evidence to state they wont but considering RB & VTT both had issues I wouldn't believe their claims much the same you dont believe the big oil co's claims.

Those manufacturers I referenced all produce cars which make more power than our N54's tuned, and even the mass produced AMG A45 is in a high state of tune from the factory with reasonably high boost.

From what I know ZDDP is needed by the old vintage cars (flat tappet valvetrains) much like these cars cannot run on ethanol as the fuel system, carbies cannot tolerate it.
It's not necessarily a 'save my turbos' campaign, more a 'prolong the life of my turbos'.. All things considered, they are an aftermarket upgrade which are using stock frames - this in itself should set the expectation that they will not last as long as OEM. Add to this, the added stress these enthusiasts put the turbos through with higher boost levels throughout the entire rev range.

Agreed that RB & VTT have had the most issues (i know this personally, on my second set of RB's) as they've been around the longest.. and there are a tonne of variables that can lead to the smoking issues that appear, our local resident Socket just went through this recently, and it had nothing to do with the turbos, but the general consensus is to point the finger at them straight away (even i'm guilty of this).

The new kids on the block (Pure/Hexon) are exactly that - New in the market, with not many kits out there tested over a long period of time - so time will tell... They do have the benefit of history, and learning from the prior mistakes of the incumbents, so they should do well. Hexon's warranty period is impressive!

Back to oil and the comparative to AMG, it's not an apples for apples comparison as they come like that from the OEM. Much like the M4/5/6's which larger engines/turbo's etc.. My thoughts are still the same in that we cannot treat a car the same as OEM given that we modify heavily with aftermarket components.. The same is true for gearbox's and differentials, where an upgraded oil is used when you upgrade these parts, which are better suited to their components used and tolerances.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 07:57 PM   #91
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Btw, thanks for the suggestion again drjekl, picked up one of these at my United Servo for $22 when filling up last night!

Plan is to run a bottle of this cleaner before every oil change! That should keep things happy.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 08:09 PM   #92
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

Quote:
Question for you drjekl, now that you are using E85 and your car sits in the garage for a fair bit of time.. Are you using any injector cleaning products for general maintenance? What are the recommendations for e85 usage?
I also have had no issues E85 both in the fuel tank and in fuel drums for long periods of time. Ethanol keeps injectors and everything it comes in contact with way cleaner than petrol does. It is an injector cleaner in itself.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 08:39 PM   #93
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
It's not necessarily a 'save my turbos' campaign, more a 'prolong the life of my turbos'.. All things considered, they are an aftermarket upgrade which are using stock frames - this in itself should set the expectation that they will not last as long as OEM. Add to this, the added stress these enthusiasts put the turbos through with higher boost levels throughout the entire rev range.

Agreed that RB & VTT have had the most issues (i know this personally, on my second set of RB's) as they've been around the longest.. and there are a tonne of variables that can lead to the smoking issues that appear, our local resident Socket just went through this recently, and it had nothing to do with the turbos, but the general consensus is to point the finger at them straight away (even i'm guilty of this).

The new kids on the block (Pure/Hexon) are exactly that - New in the market, with not many kits out there tested over a long period of time - so time will tell... They do have the benefit of history, and learning from the prior mistakes of the incumbents, so they should do well. Hexon's warranty period is impressive!

Back to oil and the comparative to AMG, it's not an apples for apples comparison as they come like that from the OEM. Much like the M4/5/6's which larger engines/turbo's etc.. My thoughts are still the same in that we cannot treat a car the same as OEM given that we modify heavily with aftermarket components.. The same is true for gearbox's and differentials, where an upgraded oil is used when you upgrade these parts, which are better suited to their components used and tolerances.
Yup most definately an apples for apples comparison comparing the A45 to a tuned N54 albeit they run 26 psi and from 2.0L its produces close to 285 KW.

Just some rough calcs:

Your car for example produces say 350 rwkw, lets say 400kw at the crank running 24-25 psi.

Ian's tuned N54 = 133KW per litre engine capacity
AMG's A45 = 142KW per litre engine capacity

Admittedly the AMG's turbo is designed to withstand the 26 psi, whereas the N54's turbos arent but based on these figures alone you would agree the A45 state of tune is definately rather high as a lot of factory cars are these days

Glad to see your local united had it, I cannot vouch for the nulon product or it's effectiveness you can use it for a peace of mind (just like using a ZDDP oil) in the hope it keeps your fuel system maintained and clean to prevent any issues

Last edited by DR-JEKL; 03-15-2016 at 08:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 08:43 PM   #94
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsm87 View Post
I also have had no issues E85 both in the fuel tank and in fuel drums for long periods of time. Ethanol keeps injectors and everything it comes in contact with way cleaner than petrol does. It is an injector cleaner in itself.
I've heard about an american doco where they had two brand new US built pickups one was run on gasoline and the other on ethanol gasoline.

After a few years they stripped the engines, fuel systems etc and apparently the regular gasoline fuel system was discolored and gummed up and the rubbers had gone hard whereas the ethanol fuel system looked perfectly clean and the rubbers were quite soft like new. (contrary to all the hooplah that ethanol fuels causing the fuel system to gum up and perish hoses etc)

Whilst I cannot vouch for the authenticity much like those misaligned urban legends regarding ethanol fuels this may well have been a clever scripted doco to promote the use of ethanol fuels which I believe the US govt has invested heavily in
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 08:46 PM   #95
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I've heard about an american doco where they had two brand new US built pickups one was run on gasoline and the other on ethanol gasoline.

After a few years they stripped the engines, fuel systems etc and apparently the regular gasoline fuel system was discolored and gummed up and the rubbers had gone hard whereas the ethanol fuel system looked perfectly clean and the rubbers were quite soft like new. (contrary to all the hooplah that ethanol fuels causing the fuel system to gum up and perish hoses etc)

Whilst I cannot vouch for the authenticity much like those misaligned urban legends regarding ethanol fuels this may well have been a clever scripted doco to promote the use of ethanol fuels which I believe the US govt has invested heavily in
HAHA how weird the timing of this comment is. I watched that video LAST NIGHT.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 08:48 PM   #96
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Admittedly the AMG's turbo's are designed to withstand the 26 psi, whereas the N54's turbos arent but based on these figures alone you would agree the A45 state of tune is definately rather high as a lot of factory cars are these days
^^That's exactly my point mate, not apples to apples because i'm comparing it to my aftermarket upgraded turbos (not stock turbos, tuned for tuned). The oil choice is based on my upgraded turbos, which have aftermarket internal components which i'm addressing. Definitely not suggesting this for the stock turbo's at all.

Quote:
Glad to see your local united had it, I cannot vouch for the nulon product or it's effectiveness you can use it for a peace of mind (just like using a ZDDP oil) in the hope it keeps your fuel system maintained and clean to prevent any issues
Exactly! To satisfy the OCD and preventative maintenance gremlin inside me.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 08:50 PM   #97
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:

Quote:
HAHA how weird the timing of this comment is. I watched that video LAST NIGHT.
Very interesting!!!

Got a link?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 09:40 PM   #98
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 10:00 PM   #99
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Awesome thanks Brad!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 11:55 PM   #100
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Thanks bradsm87 that's an interesting watch!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 04:06 AM   #101
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
Interesting video, he made a comment right at the end "engine not really made for e85" is it possible they tested on a vehicle that has been built with parts that just happen to be e85 tolerant?

Still over all, less wear, cleaner parts, is the e85 argument about engine wear and damage a myth?

E85 is less fuel efficient isn't it? You get less distance from a tank?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 04:26 AM   #102
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB89 View Post
Still over all, less wear, cleaner parts, is the e85 argument about engine wear and damage a myth?
E85 can slowly break down rubber hoses in cars built before 1996 and deposits it into the fuel filter. Some peoples filters have been blocked to the point where fuel doesn't flow sufficiently to run the engine. Pretty much every other story spread is a myth.

Quote:
E85 is less fuel efficient isn't it? You get less distance from a tank?
With most current engines, yes. If an engine was built with the intention of primarily running E85 and built to utilise it properly (smaller capacity, very high compression ratio, direct injected, turbo with lots of boost and stratified charge operation), an engine of the same power and torque output of the equivalent petrol engine would use less fuel, probably a lot less.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 05:30 AM   #103
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
Quote:
E85 can slowly break down rubber hoses in cars built before 1996 and deposits it into the fuel filter. Some peoples filters have been blocked to the point where fuel doesn't flow sufficiently to run the engine. Pretty much every other story spread is a myth.

With most current engines, yes. If an engine was built with the intention of primarily running E85 and built to utilise it properly (smaller capacity, very high compression ratio, direct injected, turbo with lots of boost and stratified charge operation), an engine of the same power and torque output of the equivalent petrol engine would use less fuel, probably a lot less.
Thanks mate, so what's the verdict in our engines? Is a JB4 with flex fuel wires enough?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 05:42 AM   #104
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Thanks mate, so what's the verdict in our engines? Is a JB4 with flex fuel wires enough?
Absolutely. If you have means to pump enough of it, you're laughing. Normal rules of safe tuning apply but in terms of the ethanol itself damaging anything, I sure as hell wouldn't be worried.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 06:14 AM   #105
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
+1 to everything Brad mentioned.

The most common things you hear are rubber hose and seal degradation, I haven't heard anything directly impacting metal engine components though, but ensuring you also use an e85 compatible engine oil is also good practice.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 06:53 AM   #106
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
CSF radiator install & PS reservoir

My quest for plastic killing continues...

Finally found the time to install my CSF radiator @ Advan today!

The CSF radiator was purchased from Stuart@BMRAutowerkes who is a CSF dealer in Australia. CSF has an impeccable reputation in the U.S, and are very decently priced in the market for extremely high quality products. I went with CSF as it was the only Auto/DCT radiator that i was able to find decent reviews on, as well as installation being quoted as 'fitting like a glove'.

The installation:

Fit like a f*cking glove! All the reviews were right! And i'll add to it from a RHD perspective.

There were zero hiccups, and zero trimming required. Although the core is thicker, it slotted right in!

The only comment i'll make here is that i have deleted the thermostat when i upgraded the auxiliary oil cooler, due to the thickness of the radiator, it also pushes the fan housing back, which may or may not cause issues if the stock thermostat is in place (nothing a little trimming can't fix).

Took a few pics of how it compares to the stock radiator for comparison.

Decided to also replace the radiator hoses whilst i was there to, looking in the inside of the stock hoses shows some brown colouring due to heat and discolouration of the rubber. Other than that, they weren't in that bad of a condition @ 70K kms.

In the above pic, you'll notice another plastic component that was exchanged! I actually came across this from an Aussie forum member who posted this in a thread somewhere.. Apparently, this part is prone to cracking as its bolted directly onto the engine block.. So another piece of plastic gone!! #winning!!!

(you can buy the aluminium water hose fitting from eBay)

It's not uncommon for the power steering reservoir's to look like this in an N54 engine bay.. This happens due to a vent hole in the cap, and the PS fluid boiling and coming out of said hole. It's nasty, and makes the engine look tragic!

So i also got Advan to replace it with the one pictured above, the part number is: 32-41-6-767-161. It's not a direct plug and play as you can tell from the fitting hanging off the bottom feed - That bottom feed is larger in diameter than the hose for the original reservoir. So it needs to be tapped with a 3/8" thread, and then use this Aeroflow part number: AF845-08BLK , which is a Male NPT to Barb 45° Adapter 3/8" to 1/2"

I forgot to get some pics of it all installed, but will do that soon.

Last edited by _ink; 03-23-2016 at 07:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 08:04 AM   #107
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
sweet looking radiator mate....
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 05:33 PM   #108
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Massive radiator envy here.

I'm holding out for a solid billet water pump.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 06:11 PM   #109
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket
sweet looking radiator mate....
Cheers bruh
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 06:12 PM   #110
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01
Massive radiator envy here.

I'm holding out for a solid billet water pump.
Thanks John.

I'm totally with you on that!!! I can't believe the replacements are bloody plastic!! WTH are they thinking?!?!
Appreciate 0